• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:07
CEST 13:07
KST 20:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7632 users

[G] TvZ Griffith's 4OC Pressure Push - Page 36

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 Next All
vaderseven
Profile Joined September 2008
United States2556 Posts
May 12 2011 04:13 GMT
#701
I would imagine that the spanishiwa style is not the ideal style to play this style vs. The idea way to play it out vs the spanishiwa is take a very fast 3rd. The 3/4 OC style might seem like it fits this but I've found that the key is to take a fast 3rd (9 mins or so) that you turn into a PF quickly.

The most standard variations of the 3 or 4 OC pushes would seem to play right into spanishiwa's style as they throw things at the front door of a zerg that has found a VERY cost effective way to hold his front.

Correct me if I am wrong.
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-08 16:56:50
June 08 2011 16:55 GMT
#702
Does this strategy work at all anymore? It seems to me that Zerg players have become very good at telling the difference between real and fake pressure. The sequence become like this:
1. I do some 2 racks pressure, we trade armies.
2. I secure my expansion, he drones up.
3. I send some more units to his expansion; he kills them but does not build more military then necessary.
4. I build 2 more OCs in my base; he takes his 3rd and drones hard.
5. I try to take out his 3rd but his economy is equal or better than mine since he droned hard. I have no tanks since this build gets gas late, he wipes my army with speedlings/banelings and maybe some infestors.

Am I doing something wrong or should this build be abandoned since it seems impossible to outeco zerg, the moment you do not attack with a huge army they drone as much as they can. Is it better to just go 1-base SCV all-in or 1-base marine into tank push since that at least will keep his drone count low?

Also, what units should you build after marines? Since you take gas late it will take a long time until you have tanks with siege mode, even longer before you get them to the Zergs 3rd. I have tried going MMM instead but that is very week to almost anything but roaches.
DevanT
Profile Joined November 2010
United States71 Posts
June 08 2011 17:01 GMT
#703
over a month old bump =/

This strategy came and disappeared for a reason.

Better to not to try to outmacro like this build suggests, but better to mess with their macro.
darkscream
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada2310 Posts
June 08 2011 17:16 GMT
#704
This build actually starts to appear in long macro games, always, on maps like Tal'Darim Altar. Terrans bleed their SCVs with a mech attack and then run off mules, since there are so many places to hide orbitals, you transition into this style of play in the late game after your first 3-4 bases are mining out. You land all the orbitals behind your big attack.

I wouldn't say the strategy disappeared, it's just a very advanced lategame strategy which only gets used on giant macro maps like taldarim and terminus. You can see koreans do it from time to time.
rebotfc
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom144 Posts
June 08 2011 17:36 GMT
#705
Hey darkscream,

What do you mean land OC's behind your big attack? How would that help?
ReachTheSky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States3294 Posts
June 08 2011 17:37 GMT
#706
On June 09 2011 02:16 darkscream wrote:
This build actually starts to appear in long macro games, always, on maps like Tal'Darim Altar. Terrans bleed their SCVs with a mech attack and then run off mules, since there are so many places to hide orbitals, you transition into this style of play in the late game after your first 3-4 bases are mining out. You land all the orbitals behind your big attack.

I wouldn't say the strategy disappeared, it's just a very advanced lategame strategy which only gets used on giant macro maps like taldarim and terminus. You can see koreans do it from time to time.


yeah i've only seen koreans go up to 3 ocs fast off a 2 rax, haven't seen 4 in a very long time
TL+ Member
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-08 18:00:54
June 08 2011 17:47 GMT
#707
I've tweaked this build to my own tastes in TvZ. On big macro maps (Tal'darim, Shakuras and Shattered), I go for a double expand off 2 barracks and float the first CC off with 5 SCVS loaded up to a nearby third and exploit the benefits. With a 3 bunker wall and a hidden third, it looks like I am turtling off two bases against the Zerg while in reality I'm way ahead in economy.

Even if this third gets discovered, I will have already mined enough to pay for it and have gained some benefit for it. This allows me to get a really, really powerful army quickly and do a fast 200/200 push. My composition of choice is Hellion/Thor with 0/3 upgrades and Marine or Marauder support depending if Zerg went Roach or Muta.

0/3 mech upgrades is how I deal with Infestors. Attack upgrades make no significant difference against Zerg but armor + SCVs repairing give you an army that is literally impossible to take down with less than two waves of units. To counter NP on my thors, the 0/3 upgrades allow my thors to tank the friendly fire damage better while also taking less because there are no attack upgrades. Voila! I've had very high success rates with high economy midgames against Zerg Don't be afraid to double expand!

Edit: Also a small note against Brood Lords....typically this would be the hard counter to this build because there is no Starport tech. However, Griffith himself made a guide on Hellion/Thor vs Brood Lord that I have used substantially to completely shut down Brood Lords with zero problems.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=205159
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
Crugio
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Australia45 Posts
June 09 2011 03:03 GMT
#708
@Synystyr: I like the note on Hellion/Thor mix. Qu: How does that combo deal with say an equal value of Ultras. i.e. the late game BL/Ultra switch.
I'm in a world of hurt!
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-09 05:35:47
June 09 2011 05:33 GMT
#709
On June 09 2011 12:03 Crugio wrote:
@Synystyr: I like the note on Hellion/Thor mix. Qu: How does that combo deal with say an equal value of Ultras. i.e. the late game BL/Ultra switch.


Ultras beat Thors with ~10 hp left over. Add in some marauders and problem solved. Mass roaches may be more of a problem before you get a critical amount of thors (but if you pull SCVs you can fend it off fairly well).
griffith.583 (NA)
DamAnus
Profile Joined March 2011
67 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-09 07:17:01
June 09 2011 07:16 GMT
#710
On June 09 2011 02:47 Synystyr wrote:
I've tweaked this build to my own tastes in TvZ. On big macro maps (Tal'darim, Shakuras and Shattered), I go for a double expand off 2 barracks and float the first CC off with 5 SCVS loaded up to a nearby third and exploit the benefits. With a 3 bunker wall and a hidden third, it looks like I am turtling off two bases against the Zerg while in reality I'm way ahead in economy.

Even if this third gets discovered, I will have already mined enough to pay for it and have gained some benefit for it. This allows me to get a really, really powerful army quickly and do a fast 200/200 push. My composition of choice is Hellion/Thor with 0/3 upgrades and Marine or Marauder support depending if Zerg went Roach or Muta.

0/3 mech upgrades is how I deal with Infestors. Attack upgrades make no significant difference against Zerg but armor + SCVs repairing give you an army that is literally impossible to take down with less than two waves of units. To counter NP on my thors, the 0/3 upgrades allow my thors to tank the friendly fire damage better while also taking less because there are no attack upgrades. Voila! I've had very high success rates with high economy midgames against Zerg Don't be afraid to double expand!

Edit: Also a small note against Brood Lords....typically this would be the hard counter to this build because there is no Starport tech. However, Griffith himself made a guide on Hellion/Thor vs Brood Lord that I have used substantially to completely shut down Brood Lords with zero problems.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=205159


Your 200/200 push is an all in. If the zerg hold it you lost.
roachs /infestors with good upgrades totally destroy Thors/helion.
Freud
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden54 Posts
June 09 2011 07:58 GMT
#711
Ive used your builds before Synystyr, to great success. Do you have any replays of this?

Cheers
Probe1
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States17920 Posts
June 09 2011 08:03 GMT
#712
Whats to stop zerg from seeing this and fast teching to brood lords and hive?
우정호 KT_VIOLET 1988 - 2012 While we are postponing, life speeds by
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
June 09 2011 08:40 GMT
#713
On June 09 2011 16:16 DamAnus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2011 02:47 Synystyr wrote:
I've tweaked this build to my own tastes in TvZ. On big macro maps (Tal'darim, Shakuras and Shattered), I go for a double expand off 2 barracks and float the first CC off with 5 SCVS loaded up to a nearby third and exploit the benefits. With a 3 bunker wall and a hidden third, it looks like I am turtling off two bases against the Zerg while in reality I'm way ahead in economy.

Even if this third gets discovered, I will have already mined enough to pay for it and have gained some benefit for it. This allows me to get a really, really powerful army quickly and do a fast 200/200 push. My composition of choice is Hellion/Thor with 0/3 upgrades and Marine or Marauder support depending if Zerg went Roach or Muta.

0/3 mech upgrades is how I deal with Infestors. Attack upgrades make no significant difference against Zerg but armor + SCVs repairing give you an army that is literally impossible to take down with less than two waves of units. To counter NP on my thors, the 0/3 upgrades allow my thors to tank the friendly fire damage better while also taking less because there are no attack upgrades. Voila! I've had very high success rates with high economy midgames against Zerg Don't be afraid to double expand!

Edit: Also a small note against Brood Lords....typically this would be the hard counter to this build because there is no Starport tech. However, Griffith himself made a guide on Hellion/Thor vs Brood Lord that I have used substantially to completely shut down Brood Lords with zero problems.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=205159


Your 200/200 push is an all in. If the zerg hold it you lost.
roachs /infestors with good upgrades totally destroy Thors/helion.

Tbh in the same way, most/all mech plays are "allin", since you can never loose a battle. In general when you have 200/200, I feel it's just way to far into the game to call something allin(or cheese).
iDrone
Profile Joined December 2010
United States176 Posts
June 09 2011 08:50 GMT
#714
as a zerg player it is builds like this I fear the most.. Seeing a 2rax puts zergs in panic-mode...desperately clawing to get the proper defense in time; followed up by 3 ccs is a great idea!
Depending on the map I may suggest trying to take a hidden expo to drop all the mules ( after you've set up infrastructure... I imagine that your $ will be extremely high... Tal'Darim Altar/Slag Pits )
also I think double engi bay is a must with this build...as I think the focus of the build is towards the mid-late.
rebotfc
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom144 Posts
June 09 2011 13:43 GMT
#715
Synystyr, love your anti-collossus build. Do you have a replay of you using this one? Especially vs a strongly NPing infestor-roach army.

I find infestors the hardest to deal with when massing thors.

Thanks

GreEny K
Profile Joined February 2008
Germany7312 Posts
June 09 2011 14:04 GMT
#716
On June 09 2011 17:40 Zarahtra wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2011 16:16 DamAnus wrote:
On June 09 2011 02:47 Synystyr wrote:
I've tweaked this build to my own tastes in TvZ. On big macro maps (Tal'darim, Shakuras and Shattered), I go for a double expand off 2 barracks and float the first CC off with 5 SCVS loaded up to a nearby third and exploit the benefits. With a 3 bunker wall and a hidden third, it looks like I am turtling off two bases against the Zerg while in reality I'm way ahead in economy.

Even if this third gets discovered, I will have already mined enough to pay for it and have gained some benefit for it. This allows me to get a really, really powerful army quickly and do a fast 200/200 push. My composition of choice is Hellion/Thor with 0/3 upgrades and Marine or Marauder support depending if Zerg went Roach or Muta.

0/3 mech upgrades is how I deal with Infestors. Attack upgrades make no significant difference against Zerg but armor + SCVs repairing give you an army that is literally impossible to take down with less than two waves of units. To counter NP on my thors, the 0/3 upgrades allow my thors to tank the friendly fire damage better while also taking less because there are no attack upgrades. Voila! I've had very high success rates with high economy midgames against Zerg Don't be afraid to double expand!

Edit: Also a small note against Brood Lords....typically this would be the hard counter to this build because there is no Starport tech. However, Griffith himself made a guide on Hellion/Thor vs Brood Lord that I have used substantially to completely shut down Brood Lords with zero problems.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=205159


Your 200/200 push is an all in. If the zerg hold it you lost.
roachs /infestors with good upgrades totally destroy Thors/helion.

Tbh in the same way, most/all mech plays are "allin", since you can never loose a battle. In general when you have 200/200, I feel it's just way to far into the game to call something allin(or cheese).


It's not an all-in but if you lose your army it will take too long to reproduce so you will get boned. I agree that calling something an all-in at 200/200 doesn't make sense though.
Why would you ever choose failure, when success is an option.
Synystyr
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1446 Posts
June 09 2011 14:11 GMT
#717
Thread hijack successful xD

On June 09 2011 12:03 Crugio wrote:
@Synystyr: I like the note on Hellion/Thor mix. Qu: How does that combo deal with say an equal value of Ultras. i.e. the late game BL/Ultra switch.


I've only come across Ultras twice...honestly can't say I have enough experience on the matter, but I think with Marauder support, 0/3 upgrades and SCVs repairing, you should be able to trade evenly. The BL/Ultra switch does not affect me because I never get Vikings.

On June 09 2011 16:16 DamAnus wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 09 2011 02:47 Synystyr wrote:
I've tweaked this build to my own tastes in TvZ. On big macro maps (Tal'darim, Shakuras and Shattered), I go for a double expand off 2 barracks and float the first CC off with 5 SCVS loaded up to a nearby third and exploit the benefits. With a 3 bunker wall and a hidden third, it looks like I am turtling off two bases against the Zerg while in reality I'm way ahead in economy.

Even if this third gets discovered, I will have already mined enough to pay for it and have gained some benefit for it. This allows me to get a really, really powerful army quickly and do a fast 200/200 push. My composition of choice is Hellion/Thor with 0/3 upgrades and Marine or Marauder support depending if Zerg went Roach or Muta.

0/3 mech upgrades is how I deal with Infestors. Attack upgrades make no significant difference against Zerg but armor + SCVs repairing give you an army that is literally impossible to take down with less than two waves of units. To counter NP on my thors, the 0/3 upgrades allow my thors to tank the friendly fire damage better while also taking less because there are no attack upgrades. Voila! I've had very high success rates with high economy midgames against Zerg Don't be afraid to double expand!

Edit: Also a small note against Brood Lords....typically this would be the hard counter to this build because there is no Starport tech. However, Griffith himself made a guide on Hellion/Thor vs Brood Lord that I have used substantially to completely shut down Brood Lords with zero problems.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=205159


Your 200/200 push is an all in. If the zerg hold it you lost.
roachs /infestors with good upgrades totally destroy Thors/helion.


I'll be on 3 bases taking a fourth as I attack. I should at least be able to trade armies decently as this 200/200 composition is one of the best against mid-game Zergs. I disagree that this is all-in.

I don't want to completely hijack Griffith's thread, so I'll spend my time today creating a guide. Expect one within the near future
Sky Terran TvP V2.0: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=355839
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
June 09 2011 14:22 GMT
#718
On June 09 2011 23:11 Synystyr wrote:

I don't want to completely hijack Griffith's thread, so I'll spend my time today creating a guide. Expect one within the near future


Yay! Gogo Syn - your builds are awesome!
Griffith`
Profile Joined September 2010
714 Posts
June 09 2011 22:35 GMT
#719
ya - its definitely not an all in - you can probably hit a decent 13 minute timing or so with a massive mech ball - way before blords/ultra
griffith.583 (NA)
Zilong67
Profile Joined July 2011
France12 Posts
July 25 2011 15:06 GMT
#720
Ir=t doesn't work, HELP!
Prev 1 34 35 36 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 401
WardiTV151
Rex85
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 17095
StarCastTV_EN402
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko304
mouzHeroMarine 301
ProTech124
Rex 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 12380
EffOrt 6190
BeSt 1824
ZerO 1291
Hyuk 866
Larva 861
Horang2 844
Hyun 286
Zeus 276
Stork 198
[ Show more ]
Killer 195
Light 194
Barracks 129
Rush 84
Yoon 59
ToSsGirL 41
Shinee 36
Mini 35
Bale 30
Mong 24
Terrorterran 22
PianO 20
Sacsri 19
ggaemo 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
sorry 9
Noble 8
HiyA 7
Sea.KH 5
Dota 2
Dendi645
League of Legends
KnowMe35
Counter-Strike
byalli869
x6flipin70
Other Games
singsing1901
olofmeister1415
XaKoH 529
crisheroes257
Pyrionflax190
Sick166
ArmadaUGS50
Mew2King47
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream392
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 235
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH290
• StrangeGG 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1882
Other Games
• WagamamaTV178
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 53m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 53m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 23h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.