• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:27
CEST 04:27
KST 11:27
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6056 users

Mafia Podcast! - Page 22

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 75 Next
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
March 22 2013 05:22 GMT
#421
On March 22 2013 12:56 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Can we do a topic for the third podcast that I can talk about It feels weird coming up with the idea and then not participating at all

from the pms i got it seems like everyone really hates me on the cast though so maybe I should just sit this out and let hapahauli take over for good


I think the decision to make a podcast should be individually driven. Grab a couple of people, pick a topic, and record (or ask me to record if you still are computer-less).

Also... negative feedback? Seems like everyone in the thread enjoyed having you on.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 22 2013 05:25 GMT
#422
Did I really talk about personal stuff? One of the things I felt coming out of it was that it would be a way better cast if there was more talk about personal/off-topic stuff rather than solely about mafia. I think that comes down to personal taste, I am interested in hearing about the personal lives of other players, especially if they can make that talk funny or interesting.

Giant Bombcast is a good example of that split being done extremely well, but they all have such funny personalities on air and I think that's really the key. It's hard to make that kind of talk interesting and funny when you don't know each other that well and I feel most of the awkwardness of the cast comes from not having that natural comfort in talking about something that you do when you're among close friends or colleagues. I felt like it was too rigid.
RIP Aaliyah
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 22 2013 05:27 GMT
#423
On March 22 2013 14:22 Hapahauli wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2013 12:56 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Can we do a topic for the third podcast that I can talk about It feels weird coming up with the idea and then not participating at all

from the pms i got it seems like everyone really hates me on the cast though so maybe I should just sit this out and let hapahauli take over for good


I think the decision to make a podcast should be individually driven. Grab a couple of people, pick a topic, and record (or ask me to record if you still are computer-less).

Also... negative feedback? Seems like everyone in the thread enjoyed having you on.


I think it's great if people do off-hand audio things but I think ideally the best way to create a high quality cast is to have a very consistent group of casters that do this regularly. A single main podcast that is made weekly/biweekly with a group of 2-3 people that are almost always present.

That group becomes more comfortable with eachother, more polished, more organized -> you have a higher quality cast that may eventually serve the purpose of reaching out of the TL Mafia community and bringing people in.
RIP Aaliyah
Mocsta
Profile Joined December 2012
Australia9389 Posts
March 22 2013 05:30 GMT
#424
On March 22 2013 14:25 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Did I really talk about personal stuff? One of the things I felt coming out of it was that it would be a way better cast if there was more talk about personal/off-topic stuff rather than solely about mafia. I think that comes down to personal taste, I am interested in hearing about the personal lives of other players, especially if they can make that talk funny or interesting.

Giant Bombcast is a good example of that split being done extremely well, but they all have such funny personalities on air and I think that's really the key. It's hard to make that kind of talk interesting and funny when you don't know each other that well and I feel most of the awkwardness of the cast comes from not having that natural comfort in talking about something that you do when you're among close friends or colleagues. I felt like it was too rigid.

I cant remember exact details of the group podcast, because it was pretty long.

But definitely in the solo podcast, I distinctly remember the last 10 or so minutes was you talking about personal life.

I guess its a personal preference thing in the end.

Me: I don't want to hear about peoples personal situations on the podcast, for me its all business.

If others like it, so be it. Its always something i can just fast-forward through.

I get the point about personal stories being funny. Maybe that can work. But IIRC it was more so talking about your real life profession, and long working hours etc.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 22 2013 05:34 GMT
#425
I was by myself though and that's a bit different. None of it was interesting though, but I wasn't really concerned about making a great quality thing as much as I was about getting used to talking. I think it's odd if you listen to a regular cast of people talking about something and know nothing about them beyond their opinions on that particular thing, I think that ends up being boring.
RIP Aaliyah
Mocsta
Profile Joined December 2012
Australia9389 Posts
March 22 2013 05:35 GMT
#426
On March 22 2013 14:27 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2013 14:22 Hapahauli wrote:
On March 22 2013 12:56 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
Can we do a topic for the third podcast that I can talk about It feels weird coming up with the idea and then not participating at all

from the pms i got it seems like everyone really hates me on the cast though so maybe I should just sit this out and let hapahauli take over for good


I think the decision to make a podcast should be individually driven. Grab a couple of people, pick a topic, and record (or ask me to record if you still are computer-less).

Also... negative feedback? Seems like everyone in the thread enjoyed having you on.


I think it's great if people do off-hand audio things but I think ideally the best way to create a high quality cast is to have a very consistent group of casters that do this regularly. A single main podcast that is made weekly/biweekly with a group of 2-3 people that are almost always present.

That group becomes more comfortable with eachother, more polished, more organized -> you have a higher quality cast that may eventually serve the purpose of reaching out of the TL Mafia community and bringing people in.

I do endorse this.

Guess it will really depend how well the schedules with mesh up.

Also depends on what you guys ultimately want to achieve with this.

People such as VisceraEyes and myself believe in this as a great tool/mechanism for distilling knowledge to new and old players in the game.

Perhaps your goals are slightly different, or whatever.

When I make comments about swearing/professionalism/rambling off-topc.. it is solely because I am trying to constructively criticise based on using this as the tool I described above.

Regardless of which direction this podcast shoots off too, I think it is a great initiative for the community.
Mocsta
Profile Joined December 2012
Australia9389 Posts
March 22 2013 05:37 GMT
#427
On March 22 2013 14:34 DoctorHelvetica wrote:
I think it's odd if you listen to a regular cast of people talking about something and know nothing about them beyond their opinions on that particular thing, I think that ends up being boring.

Thats probably true. I am not a regular podcast person.

In fact, that mafia podcast was the probably the first I had ever listened to.

I used to watch Day9 and I found his rambling boring too, so perhaps its purely personal preference.

I can agree in full; that the off topic stuff should be humorous though.
DoctorHelvetica
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States15034 Posts
March 22 2013 05:41 GMT
#428
If you're into gaming at all, check out the Giant Bombcast. It's the most acclaimed gaming podcast there is and some episodes go on for like 40 minutes before they even mention a video game. They're all such good personalities that it works though.
RIP Aaliyah
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
March 22 2013 11:44 GMT
#429
OH MY GOD. BRILLIANT IDEA.


Instead of a theory podcast, why not just play a live, recorded game? DrH hosts, we all hop in a teamspeak or something, record ourselves playing, and talk about what happened, what worked, and what didn't work? That way the podcast is less about theorcrafting and more about actual mafia skill.

We could also have DrH or the hosts talk about the game before hand, discussing role mechanics, who the mafia is before hand, and what sorts of behavior to watch for. Ie: This round, tnkted is mafia. Watch how he keeps bringing the conversation around to so and so. or: this round, ver is jester. watch how he tries to get himself lynched.

I would be 100% willing to volunteer to be a on-air player for this. I've been playing a lot IRL and I'm feelin pretty confident.
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25563 Posts
March 22 2013 11:51 GMT
#430
Technically the regular games queue is outfitted for accepting [V] games. I'd be down for a spoken-word game but you'd definitely want it to be a small one.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Caller
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Poland8075 Posts
March 22 2013 12:38 GMT
#431
hahahahahaha

i'm totally up for this one
Watch me fail at Paradox: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=397564
Mocsta
Profile Joined December 2012
Australia9389 Posts
March 22 2013 13:06 GMT
#432
On March 22 2013 20:44 tnkted wrote:
OH MY GOD. BRILLIANT IDEA.


Instead of a theory podcast, why not just play a live, recorded game? DrH hosts, we all hop in a teamspeak or something, record ourselves playing, and talk about what happened, what worked, and what didn't work? That way the podcast is less about theorcrafting and more about actual mafia skill.

We could also have DrH or the hosts talk about the game before hand, discussing role mechanics, who the mafia is before hand, and what sorts of behavior to watch for. Ie: This round, tnkted is mafia. Watch how he keeps bringing the conversation around to so and so. or: this round, ver is jester. watch how he tries to get himself lynched.

I would be 100% willing to volunteer to be a on-air player for this. I've been playing a lot IRL and I'm feelin pretty confident.

I havnt played mafia IRL.. but what time of timeframe would be expected to complete a game?
tnkted
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1359 Posts
March 22 2013 13:24 GMT
#433
Well, if each podcast was made up of two games each with six people, you could probably have a 30-45 minute podcast each episode. Get the cast together once a week, record 4 games, send it off to the editor, and you've got two podcasts a week. The trick is to making it sustainable is making sure that nobody has to do too much work; the editing guy just has to do editing, the host just has to host, the cast just has to play.

so it'd be two 20 minute games plus 20 minutes of commentary pre and post game and you've got an hour long podcast, which is the sweet spot for length.
'I think "tnkted" may have justified this entire thread.' - Mjolnir
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
March 22 2013 13:26 GMT
#434
20 min games?
I don't think I've ever played a game of Werewolves that was shorter than an hour at the very least.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Mocsta
Profile Joined December 2012
Australia9389 Posts
March 22 2013 13:33 GMT
#435
Ahh werewolves... hahah

i was telling a RL friend about mafia.. and he goes he played a similar game called werewolves.. interesting

might have to give this a bash.. takes me more than 20min to write a lot of my long posts.. i cant beleive a game would be complete
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 22 2013 14:08 GMT
#436
I see both sides of the argument (rotating, individually driven casts vs. core set of casters with rotating guests).

Here's my opinion.

There should probably be both types of casts. The fact of the matter is that a lot of different people play here with a lot of different experiences and thoughts. And to limit WHO is on the show by saying "Oh well we only have the one guest slot" is too limiting a factor in my opinion. Take this Nomination cast for instance. I wanted to be present for the Nomination discussion, as I said I also wanted GM to be there and yamato said he also wanted to do it. Would the three of us be able to come onto a regular cast with DocH/Hapa/BH/Kurumi? That's seven people! We'd never get anything done!

Now, if you don't care about Nomination or think covering individual games is not interesting, that's one thing. But I like the idea of occasionally covering a game that has recently finished. First of all, anyone who listens to the podcast is going to be summarily familiar with any recently completed games. That's a generalization, but one that I feel is relatively accurate. But because of this, recently completed games serves as a "tying together" of players who wouldn't necessarily have much in common and give them a common ground for discussion.

I understand the want for nostalgia in the form of talking about old games (Kurumi and DocH in particular seemed to enjoy discussions of games long past) and I don't think it should be avoided outright - but as far as making it a regular segment, I think it's too narrow of a topic unless we're like...intending to analyze an old game or something.

But I digress. The point is, because I feel like recently completed games give us a platform to analyze and examine play, it makes the most sense to me to have players FROM those games on to talk about their experience in the game. Does this mean it should be the only format? Negative, but I think if we decide to talk about a specific game, it makes sense to me to have a player or 2 or the host or both come on and talk about it.

For what it's worth, I agree that there needs to be a core set of casters, a minimum of 2, who are on every show. There needs to be a flow to the show, and there needs to be someone in charge of maintaining that flow, or every show is going to be 2+ hours long. Not that I'm AGAINST a long cast, but I feel like 1 hour is optimal in most circumstances.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 22 2013 14:08 GMT
#437
And PS, I fully endorse [V] games.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
Oatsmaster
Profile Joined October 2012
United States16628 Posts
March 22 2013 14:14 GMT
#438
I would be totally up for a [V] game

Also VE, why is an hour long optimal?

No gg, No skill.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
March 22 2013 14:16 GMT
#439
Attention span/content ratio
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
VisceraEyes
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States21171 Posts
March 22 2013 14:17 GMT
#440
After about an hour I started regularly looking at the timeline and going "Oh man, there's so much left"

Like, it just seems like by limiting to an hour, it lights a fire under the hosts and guests to keep on topic and talk about things that are meaningful. Not that the occasional tangent isn't highly entertaining, but too many of those just causes derails imo.
if I had to describe his playstyle, it'd be a coked up rabbit with the attention of a goldfish injecting caffeine into himself directly through an IV drip. it's like a reel of random animated shorts where things just blow up randomly
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 75 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
PiGosaur Cup
09:00
#102
CranKy Ducklings102
davetesta35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft339
ByuN 255
RuFF_SC2 152
ViBE79
CosmosSc2 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2321
GuemChi 1374
Artosis 649
Sharp 166
910 57
MaD[AoV]19
Bale 18
Terrorterran 0
Dota 2
monkeys_forever373
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
taco 741
minikerr13
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox711
Other Games
summit1g8827
Day[9].tv792
JimRising 609
C9.Mang0423
Trikslyr33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick805
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP52
• EnkiAlexander 51
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo291
Other Games
• Day9tv792
• Shiphtur569
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
13h 33m
The PondCast
1d 7h
INu's Battles
1d 8h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 19h
Replay Cast
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.