• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:03
CEST 05:03
KST 12:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6995 users

What do you work as, or aspire to do? - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 28 Next All
Xiron
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany1233 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-06 19:57:56
July 06 2011 19:57 GMT
#221
On July 07 2011 04:38 cellblock wrote:
Currently on a season job as park gardener, such a high end job.


Who cares how 'highend' your job is? It's all about how YOU think about your life and your expectations of it. If you are happy doing what you do and dont have to worry about money, this is the most 'highend' it can get in terms of whats important in life.
"The way of life can be free and beautiful. But we have lost the way. " - Charlie Chaplin
rogzardo
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
610 Posts
July 06 2011 20:03 GMT
#222
On July 07 2011 04:57 Xiron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2011 04:38 cellblock wrote:
Currently on a season job as park gardener, such a high end job.


Who cares how 'highend' your job is? It's all about how YOU think about your life and your expectations of it. If you are happy doing what you do and dont have to worry about money, this is the most 'highend' it can get in terms of whats important in life.


2nd. My fondest work memories come from jobs that were typically considered 'high-end'.

Only problem was that minimum wage is a pretty shitty way to pay rent.
TallMax
Profile Joined September 2009
United States131 Posts
July 06 2011 20:03 GMT
#223
On July 07 2011 04:26 nbMifu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2011 04:20 TallMax wrote:
This is one of the threads I really enjoyed reading ever page of before posting. Keep kicking ass guys and gals! I'm a post-doc (rock on to that Astro post doc I saw post earlier) doing multiphoton microscopy (read: Lasers and Microscopes) at Ecole Polytechnique in France. Afterward, I'd like to go back to the US and get a job as a prof, develop optics-based medical diagnostics either for a small company or govt lab, and discover/be the first person to do shit nobody thought possible.


Wow, what a boss! No sarcasm here, Ecole Polytechnique has a really strong reputation. My colleagues who did gratuation there said it war really hard.

Good luck in your studies TallMax!



Thanks! I appreciate the good wishes. Your friends are right, Ecole Polytechnique is a pretty damn strong school, everyone that I work with is pretty nice and really smart, and it's a really tough school to get into, but it seems to be only tough to get in as a real student (like your friends). If you come here for a PhD, it's a bit easier to get into from what I can tell (though all the grad students here are still pretty top notch, I'm really impressed by them). And, by the time you get to being a post-doc, the requirements to get in are lowered still, so guys like me can show up! I felt I had to clarify that, I'm not as baller as a lot of the guys/gals in sexy french uniforms walking around here!
Movie Fan
Navane
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Netherlands2762 Posts
July 06 2011 20:05 GMT
#224
Mechanical Engineer at an offshore company. Loving every second so far. Best job ever.
KSMB
Profile Joined April 2011
United States100 Posts
July 06 2011 20:06 GMT
#225
On July 07 2011 04:20 TallMax wrote:
This is one of the threads I really enjoyed reading ever page of before posting. Keep kicking ass guys and gals! I'm a post-doc (rock on to that Astro post doc I saw post earlier) doing multiphoton microscopy (read: Lasers and Microscopes) at Ecole Polytechnique in France. Afterward, I'd like to go back to the US and get a job as a prof, develop optics-based medical diagnostics either for a small company or govt lab, and discover/be the first person to do shit nobody thought possible.

That was me. *postdoc fist bump*
Awesome. Did you get you PhD in physics or engineering?
Q2CTF
nbMifu
Profile Joined January 2010
Brazil170 Posts
July 06 2011 20:08 GMT
#226
On July 07 2011 05:03 TallMax wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 07 2011 04:26 nbMifu wrote:
On July 07 2011 04:20 TallMax wrote:
This is one of the threads I really enjoyed reading ever page of before posting. Keep kicking ass guys and gals! I'm a post-doc (rock on to that Astro post doc I saw post earlier) doing multiphoton microscopy (read: Lasers and Microscopes) at Ecole Polytechnique in France. Afterward, I'd like to go back to the US and get a job as a prof, develop optics-based medical diagnostics either for a small company or govt lab, and discover/be the first person to do shit nobody thought possible.


Wow, what a boss! No sarcasm here, Ecole Polytechnique has a really strong reputation. My colleagues who did gratuation there said it war really hard.

Good luck in your studies TallMax!



Thanks! I appreciate the good wishes. Your friends are right, Ecole Polytechnique is a pretty damn strong school, everyone that I work with is pretty nice and really smart, and it's a really tough school to get into, but it seems to be only tough to get in as a real student (like your friends). If you come here for a PhD, it's a bit easier to get into from what I can tell (though all the grad students here are still pretty top notch, I'm really impressed by them). And, by the time you get to being a post-doc, the requirements to get in are lowered still, so guys like me can show up! I felt I had to clarify that, I'm not as baller as a lot of the guys/gals in sexy french uniforms walking around here!


@TallMax: Haahhaha true. The problem when graduating in France is that in many schools the number of classes you can miss is very small. One of my friends was doing a course with 4 people, and the teacher would phone him when he was late.

I studied in the Politechnic of São Paulo and Politechnic of Milan, and there they are much more tolerant with these things. Also, no sexy uniforms =(


Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle - Plato
Anachromy
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States194 Posts
July 06 2011 20:09 GMT
#227
I'm currently the IT Director for Creative Resources Group, an advertising agency.

basically, it's a fancy title for web developer/graphics designer/systems admin.

but I'll take it

CopperLeague
Profile Joined June 2010
154 Posts
July 06 2011 20:10 GMT
#228
Currently run a small online writing business focusing mainly on sales writing (copywriting) but also blogging, generic content.... whatever.

I've always been an entrepreneur, so I'm sure the future will hold many new and exciting suprises. Hopefully more money as well. :D
aidnai
Profile Joined January 2010
United States1159 Posts
July 06 2011 20:12 GMT
#229
On July 07 2011 00:22 Intox wrote:
...
If anyone here is under education to become, or is a chemical engineer I'd love to hear what you think of it
...


I spent the last year working as a chemist for a company full of chemical engineers. Even though they all had similar training and abilities, they played quite a few different roles within the company. We had one guy that ran distillation modelling software almost exclusively, we had another guy that was focused on materials (mostly making sure plant/reactor materials are compatible with the process). We had another guy that worked on the reactor design, from catalyst prep to heating design.

Point of the story is, chemical engineering is pretty broad, even within a small company with a focused goal. I'm sure there's even a lot more types of jobs out there for CEs. So overall, I think it's a good field to get into.
Geo.Rion
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
7377 Posts
July 06 2011 20:15 GMT
#230
lol at "Society and Culture" and "Agriculture, Environmental.." being rock bottom. They are so unimportant :D
"Protoss is a joke" Liquid`Jinro Okt.1. 2011
Perkins1752
Profile Joined May 2009
Germany214 Posts
July 06 2011 20:19 GMT
#231
On July 07 2011 04:11 LMPeaches wrote:
Anyone with experience studying medicine here? Hows it been so far? Is it as hard as you expected, it is worth the work if it is hard? Has the experience been what you expected?

You know, just general info


I am currently working as a Internal Medicine resident. For studying medicine you need discipline and you have to put yourself through stuff that might be boring/not interesting (f.e. Ophthalmology). You will have to learn a lot, but might feel getting more stupid everyday, because there is not much intelligence involved when learning so many facts.
However when you begin to understand what a sophisticated 'machine' our body is, it is actually quite amazing and motivating. On the other side, it was quite depressing to learn and realize how few modern medicine can actually do for many people.

Getting a job is very easy in Germany, because nobody with half a brain wants to work under these shitty conditions at most hospitals. (Most of my friends went to Switzerland)
I myself am working at 80%, because I think 40 hours a week + 3 Saturdays/Sundays a month + several 15-hours-days a month is to much for a family man. Nevertheless I am working a minimum of 10 hours overtime a week, which makes it a fulltimejob again
I am thinking of reducing to 50% because, because i want to see my daughter (and hopefully my future children) growing up. Someday i want to be a General practitioner.

At the moment I get paid 20€ an hour, which is actually less than i earned as a teacher for becoming nurses during my years at university. Please consider all this info is for studying and working in Germany, it might be quite different in the US.
SkyTheUnknown
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany2065 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-07-06 20:26:09
July 06 2011 20:19 GMT
#232
On July 07 2011 00:29 AntiGrav1ty wrote:
I'm at the University of Heidelberg studying medicine. *brag*


Me too. Heidelbööörg owns them all!
And some further informations: I seek to specialize in Radiology or Otolaryngology.
It's the hardest decision of my life to pick one.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown - H.P. Lovecraft
Sworn
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Canada920 Posts
July 06 2011 20:21 GMT
#233
Going into Law most likely planning to shoot for the district attorneys office around here as well.
"Duty is heavy as a mountain, death is light as a feather." CJ Entus Fighting! <3 Effort
MattLz
Profile Joined December 2010
United States69 Posts
July 06 2011 20:22 GMT
#234
Heading to U Rochester for engineering this fall seems to be popular so I'm excited :D.
TheGlassface
Profile Joined November 2010
United States612 Posts
July 06 2011 20:27 GMT
#235
On July 07 2011 05:15 Geo.Rion wrote:
lol at "Society and Culture" and "Agriculture, Environmental.." being rock bottom. They are so unimportant :D


Wow...
I hope this is a joke.

Especially for Agri/Enviro...wait in fact...no...obviously both are incredibly important. Wtf?
The mystery of life is not a problem to solve, but a reality to experience. **Hang in there STX fans!! Kal Hwaiting!**
CharlieBrownsc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada598 Posts
July 06 2011 20:29 GMT
#236
Actuarial Science represent
SC2 ID: CharlieBrown.318, #1 bitbybit.Prime fan
hpty603
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States262 Posts
July 06 2011 20:31 GMT
#237
Would studying Classics/Ancient History be considered Society and Culture? I don't really aspire to teach, I don't even know what to do with it to be honest. I just want to learn everything I can about it :p
I only play 2v2 to see how much of the map I can turn purple ~ Jinro
Slaughter
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
United States20255 Posts
July 06 2011 20:34 GMT
#238
Well as a Bio anthropologist Im both natural and social science But I would like to be a professor one day :D
Never Knows Best.
SoulSever
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada779 Posts
July 06 2011 20:39 GMT
#239
Just me or there's a complete lack of a "trades" option?
I'm in school to be a plumber
Violet <3 ~~~Better places than here exist
Deyster
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Jordan579 Posts
July 06 2011 20:40 GMT
#240
Next semester I'll graduate and get my license as a General Physician. And I'm hoping in the future I can become an orthopedist.
Watch the minimap.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 28 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 219
ProTech143
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17204
Rain 1539
GuemChi 577
NaDa 23
Bale 17
sSak 14
Dota 2
monkeys_forever469
NeuroSwarm209
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g7339
taco 580
minikerr42
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1075
Mew2King99
Other Games
JimRising 612
WinterStarcraft573
C9.Mang0177
ViBE110
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1015
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 171
• davetesta29
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo482
• Stunt300
Other Games
• Scarra883
• Shiphtur504
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
6h 57m
INu's Battles
7h 57m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
9h 57m
OSC
19h 12m
Replay Cast
19h 57m
OSC
1d 19h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.