• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:09
CEST 14:09
KST 21:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup6StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10113 users

Why does everyone hate noobs so much? - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
preacha
Profile Joined January 2010
Norway210 Posts
November 30 2010 21:54 GMT
#81
a noob for me, is a teammate who cant do anything!

and as i play for the most part 3's og 4's - having good teammates is key!

ive raged ALOT because of incompetent teammates, but i just have myself to blame, coz i play with random ppl xD
dont pet a burning dog
Kenpachi
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States9908 Posts
November 30 2010 21:55 GMT
#82
I honestly find it awkward being friends with a noob you met over the internet. If youre so much better than him, itll be hard to play with him. He will either hold you back (in team games) or you will obliterate him.
I only hate noobs when im playing a team game and i know i cant do it by myself.
Nada's body is South Korea's greatest weapon.
Starfox
Profile Joined April 2010
Austria699 Posts
November 30 2010 21:55 GMT
#83
There is a name for this "Noobs who think they would win GSL without much effort": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

:o
Greek Mythology 2.0: Imagine Sisyphos as a man who wants to watch all videos on youtube... and Tityos as one who HAS to watch all of them.
keeblur
Profile Joined April 2010
United States826 Posts
November 30 2010 21:57 GMT
#84
Anonymity + Elitism = Cesspool of people who have Delusions of Grandeur.
Isn't it ironic and selfish to say that God made man in his image, when God was made in man's image?
sparkyk24
Profile Joined May 2010
49 Posts
November 30 2010 22:00 GMT
#85
+ Show Spoiler +
On December 01 2010 06:52 rally_point wrote:
In my honest opinion, if you TRULY like a game, you will try to help as many people as possible get good at it and enjoy it no matter how 'noob' they are.

However - if you try to genuinely try to help someone, give them your best advice in the simplest form, and they don't use your advice it becomes annoying. For example, if my buddy in bronze asks me "what is the best way to improve?", I will suggest he should focus on macro concepts. If he then focuses on micro, and tells me he doesn't know what he's doing wrong, it will feel like he's ignoring my advice. This can peeve me to some extent, but at the end of the day if someone is trying to learn I am very patient and will do my very best to help them improve.

Also, newer players that are cocky / know it all are disliked. These are the ones that whine about unit design and imbalance. These discussions show us that the players are blaming the game for their losses instead of blaming themselves. Pushing the blame to something else is never highly looked upon, especially when it's clear that you have other areas to improve on. I personally don't think balance matters until you are at the highest of skill levels (ie pro level). Up until that point improving your micro / macro / decision making can overcome your problems.

Another type of person that fits into this group are the players that THINK they are good, and give out erroneous advice. I believe people get this impression for certain sc2 casters. If they give out poor advice to people that don't know any better it can be really frustrating. Also, the forum posters that criticize the pros and post "oh he CLEARLY should have just done this," could get on peoples nerves. There is a lot of thought that goes into competitive strategies and the environment is completely different, so saying something like this can be greatly disrespectful.

Sometimes, we poke fun at noobs, but it's not meant to actually make them feel bad. For example when Tasteless or another caster jokes and says "noob, you can lower the supply depot between your cc and gas!" (actually I don't know if he's ever said that), it's all in good fun and of course he isn't trying to ward noobs away from sc2 (hell Tasteless has done a huge part in helping people get into the game). So if you hear jokes about noobs please take them lightly - we really do want you playing the game.

I think this issue (if it's even an issue at all) can be boiled down to modesty. People need to be more modest with how good they think they are, be cautious about the advice they give out, and give more respect to the pros and people who have been a part of the community for a long time.


Good post. Yeah, I wasn't talking about something like that, where it's like, "Oh, you noob ^_^" :::playful jab pinch pinch::: I'm talking about real noobs, and the people that seem to despise them or condescend to them. Some people do want to make people feel bad.

But, I agree, I think a lot of the community can be very nice and understanding, even saying things like "I've been there," or, "I used to struggle with that, too." I suppose it's like others have said: the bad ones stand out.
FeyFey
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany10114 Posts
November 30 2010 22:01 GMT
#86
noob means newby, i don't mind explaining stuff to newcomers, as long as i know something about it for sure.
Though noob is also used to insult players for being bad as newcomers, thats why it has a negativ taste. How well new players are treated depends really on the community and competetiv games tend to have a really high amount of trolls and other stuff, and because they like to show off, they like to pick the weak.
Ronald_McD
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada807 Posts
November 30 2010 22:15 GMT
#87
I'm one of the few people who don't hate noobs.
A million years ago somebody once said in my defense in a game of 3v3, "everybody's gotta start somewhere"
Ever since that's been how I feel about noobs. There's no point in screaming down their throats, especially when you once sucked as much as they did and are too far up your own ass to admit it.

And lol @ everybody in this thread saying "nobody hates noobs". That's a load of shit. Now not EVERYONE hates noobs, but there's quite a few people who are content to just scream at someone all game long for playing bad, even if they aren't acting like they know what they're doing.
FUCKING GAY LAGS
Brotatolol
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States1742 Posts
November 30 2010 22:16 GMT
#88
On December 01 2010 04:13 sparkyk24 wrote:
SC is as bad about it as any game (maybe even more so than WoW). Why does everyone hate noobs so much?

People hate noobs in WoW because they are bad at what many call a skill-less game. I haven't seen much flaming with SC besides people complaining over "imbalance".
epicopter
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada177 Posts
November 30 2010 22:19 GMT
#89
I think before a person plays a multiplayer game they should at least learn the basics offline, like when you see a person on Starcraft building like a supply depot on 7 a engineering bay at 12 a barracks at 18 and a orbital command at 25 it just hurts you inside.

If you see someone playing badly but they at least a sense of how to play the game then that is fine and it doesn't matter what skill level you are you should be able to learn at least that.
EchOne
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States2906 Posts
November 30 2010 22:22 GMT
#90
Some problems with some noobs:

-Ego. The delusion that one is skilled or knowledgeable is the stiffest barrier to improvement or education. People are wont to quickly form assumptions and impressions, but one must discard such tendencies in order to calmly analyze any problem. Ego leads to:

-Inability to analyze problems from multiple angles. Ego anchors one's analysis on one framework, one set of assumptions. Thorough analysis demands multiple perspectives.

-Inability to frame problems. Noobs tend to express inquiries in terms of assumptions or explanations of situations that aren't helpful to themselves or others trying to help them. Classic example: any thread seeking help without providing a single replay. Even when they earnestly try to be humble and provide as much information as even-handedly as possible, their inexperience can foil their attempts to identify what it is they should be seeking. For instance, they might ask, "How do I respond to this general sort of play?" instead of, "How do I prevent this one, specific, difficult situation from actuating?"

-Inability to digest advice. If someone is already confident in a fixed view of the problem, and is unwilling to accept any other since that view is tied to his ego, he instantly must deny all solutions built on different views of the problem, or even solutions built to solve different problems entirely. His defense of his position may come off as belligerent and inflexible, even if he bears no ill will in doing so. In essence, the defense of a position signifies an entirely different sort of discussion altogether: an argument, not a supplication.

-Inability to advise. Advice demands an understanding of the goals and problems of the advisee. What is the advisee trying to accomplish (usually winning games of Starcraft here), and how can he increase his ability to do this (the advice) in light of what he's already done (the problems as presented in his inquiries and replays provided)? The less well-equipped the advisor, the poorer advice will be provided, and ego can easily blind you as to how well-equipped you are. The result: much poor advice generated from probably well-meaning analysis conducted under the lens of far too limited experience.
面白くない世の中, 面白くすればいいさ
hamy710
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia160 Posts
November 30 2010 22:23 GMT
#91
For Wow, They only care if a noob gets you killed (Like a Wipe in a dungeon) or fucks up a raid ect
StarCraft don't you hate it when you lose to a 6pool cause you didn't scout?
Out of pure laziness and somehow they win.
I've been lurking for a year and only less than 200 posts, time to boost my post count!
MDew
Profile Joined November 2010
United States256 Posts
November 30 2010 22:26 GMT
#92
Noobs are usually the first to abuse the cheapest tactics they can find, especially in MMO's and games like Demon's Souls
Glasse
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1237 Posts
November 30 2010 22:30 GMT
#93
noobs are fun to hate on because calling someone a noob sounds funny
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
November 30 2010 22:34 GMT
#94
I don't hate noobs, I hate the arrogant pricks, that are actually good at the game, and have to demean everyone else that isn't at the same skill level. I played SC2 DotA for the first time and there was one guy who had been playing for a while, and I got some serious nerd rage from him.
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
sl0w
Profile Joined July 2010
United States447 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 22:36:06
November 30 2010 22:35 GMT
#95
Most people don't hate the majority of noobs they hate noobs who think they "have it all figured out" when really they don't. You don't need to look further than the Strategy forums to see gold leaguers pointing out how wrong someone is.
hifriend
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
China7935 Posts
November 30 2010 22:37 GMT
#96
To be honest the noobs that are studying the game and are willing to improve I've seen in blogs usually get a ton of tips and people cheering them on. If you have a nice attitude and don't expect everyone to do a ton of research for you when you can't even be bothered to post a replay or use the search function no one is ever going to flame you.
ScruffyIsAPerson
Profile Joined November 2010
United States4 Posts
November 30 2010 22:37 GMT
#97
We do not hate noobs or look down on noobs, for if we did not have noobs we would not be pro, noobs provide entertainment.

Hell, it's about time.
RogerRus
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Norway87 Posts
November 30 2010 22:42 GMT
#98
I think most people just have big problems with noobs that dont listen and/or dont do a real effort to learn. I hate noobs that dont want to learn, dont want to get better, and wont listen to tips I give them.
But I actually really really like noobs who gives an effort to learn. I't makes my heart warm to see people struggle so hard at such low levels, but still doing soooo much to get better. It makes myself wanna do better too. I've trained people up from bronze to diamond. But I also have some friends who just dont want to learn, and are doomed to forever suck, and those are the kind of noobs I hate, and might show openly my despice for them.
As for the rude remarks in threads, I think that rather often is because its something thats asked soooo often, and explained even more often, that it shows that the one asking the question didn't really put much effort into finding out what they wanted. And if I'm not mistaken, that is a violation to the rules on TL. The rude comments are ofcourse not really justified by that, but I chose to dont answer those questions, and If I would, it would be with a semi-rude "there is a search function you know" or something like that.
I would love to change the world, but they wont give me the source code!
Darksteel
Profile Joined October 2010
Finland319 Posts
November 30 2010 22:44 GMT
#99
On December 01 2010 07:19 epicopter wrote:
I think before a person plays a multiplayer game they should at least learn the basics offline, like when you see a person on Starcraft building like a supply depot on 7 a engineering bay at 12 a barracks at 18 and a orbital command at 25 it just hurts you inside.

If you see someone playing badly but they at least a sense of how to play the game then that is fine and it doesn't matter what skill level you are you should be able to learn at least that.


This is something I always do, especially if its a team game in which your bad performance can make the game less enjoyable for your team mates. In my opinion its selfish and lazy to not even make efforts in getting better before ruining other peoples gaming experience. It seems a lot of people except someone to outright tell them how to play and get better, instead of bothering to search and read guides. This same mentality applies to forums, in which you can find a lot of threads with helpfull knowledge but decide to make a new post out of laziness.

In SC2 we even have hundreds of hours of educational videos on youtube from beginners guides to Day9 dailies to search enlightment from
Treemonkeys
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2082 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 22:50:29
November 30 2010 22:45 GMT
#100
On December 01 2010 05:01 TheBlueMeaner wrote:
This forum is full of starcraft veterans, there are people that have been playing the game for 12 years now. They get easily offended when someone with no experience comes thinking they know it all. I played broodwar for 2 years before it was replaced by sc2, I only got to D+ in iccup. Even I get offended when someone who's experience is sc2 since launch comes telling me how to play.



This post really made me think, because I've tried to give advice around here at least a couple times (I'm new as of SC2...), never even thought about how I might be talking to someone who has been playing Brood War all this time.

I played Brood War back in high school very casually, just playing custom games mostly, ladder was too slow for me and the maps were too big and intimidating. I never heard about ICCUP back then, probably stopped playing before it was even around. Switched to WC3 immediately when it was released, because it had better graphics. Sadly it was not until SC2 that I remembered how amazing BW was, I should have never stopped playing.

The reason I am bringing all this up, is even with that little experience (compared to someone playing for the past 12 years) I started out miles ahead compared to people new at Starcraft when SC2 hit.

Now that I have spent the past 5 months working so hard to move faster and think faster...holy shit...some of you guys have been doing this for 12 years, with a much more difficult game. So much respect, there is no way I would be enjoying this game as much as I am, without help from veterans like Day9 and just people on this forum. That is why I love this game so much, the learning, which is impossible without other people. It's also the reason why I was never good at BW, I just wanted to be good on my own, everyone else could fuck off. Then I would lose and get frustrated instead of talking to other people about it...to learn.

So thanks for posting, and I'll now make an extra effort to not tell people what to do and take into consideration how "new" I am to starcraft.
http://shroomspiration.blogspot.com/
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
IntoTheiNu 906
LiquipediaDiscussion
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs KrystianerLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings190
CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech33
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35366
Shuttle 12670
FanTaSy 1642
Hyuk 1122
BeSt 564
Horang2 549
Pusan 370
Mini 311
Stork 247
EffOrt 208
[ Show more ]
Last 148
Killer 142
Zeus 140
Mind 88
Hyun 68
sorry 62
ggaemo 59
Snow 51
PianO 48
ToSsGirL 37
Hm[arnc] 32
Bale 31
Soma 23
Aegong 21
JYJ 19
zelot 16
hero 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Sacsri 11
NaDa 10
Noble 8
Dota 2
Dendi671
XcaliburYe368
Counter-Strike
fl0m2100
byalli845
x6flipin375
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu7
Other Games
gofns35814
singsing3010
B2W.Neo1005
Hui .132
Livibee101
Mew2King56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick667
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream69
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
2h 51m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
6h 51m
Replay Cast
10h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
21h 51m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
22h 51m
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 22h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.