• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:58
CEST 11:58
KST 18:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12259 users

Why does everyone hate noobs so much? - Page 6

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
ckcornflake
Profile Joined October 2010
United States53 Posts
November 30 2010 22:46 GMT
#101
I just don't understand why people have to be so mean and disrespectful to noobs in the Dota genre. I remember playing HoN on "noobs only" games, and I know that if I were to forget ONE missing call, that I would be suddenly diagnosed to have every mental disability possible by at least one of my teammates. Then I'm deemed unworthy because I am a noob in game that is labeled "noobs only."

Now why the hell would I want to win a game where my teammates are assholes to me? I also get angry at my teammates if they are causing us to lose, but instead of being an asshole to them, I find to have much better results if I calmly tell the player that they need to be doing something different.

I guess I'm not an emotional person, because I just don't understand how people fail so badly at controlling their anger. The anonymity of the internet can really turn some people into terrible creatures.

Since SC2 is more of 1v1 game I think the hate towards noobs is pretty tame, but I think a few people are a little elitist. They think that since they are in the same "league" as the pros that they are god's gift to SC2 and it is their duty to prove people wrong by shoving "I'm Diamond" in their face. When in reality they got to Diamond doing the same strat over and over. However, I think the majority of people are very helpful. I've never seen so many skilled players willing to help strangers over the internet, by taking the time to look at replays, or even practicing certain builds with newer players.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
November 30 2010 22:49 GMT
#102
It's the know it alls. I hate some idiot shitty platinum player start ranting about how abusive my Terran is in TvZ. I told him I'm just a vastly superior player and he played quite poor. He said there's NOTHING he could have done better. I told him I could have easily handled the situation much better and even beat my own Terran (it was my offrace back then). After he kept ranting, I eventually just said, "look, you're not good at all, you're just an overall poor player," to which he came with this huge lecture on how Plat is the second highest division and that means he's better (which technically is true) than the average player (although he made it sounds like he was heaps and mounds). In the end, it just annoyed me to know end.
GhoSt[shield]
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2131 Posts
November 30 2010 22:51 GMT
#103
On December 01 2010 06:50 Triss_Teh wrote:
On my very first game on 4v4 everyone on my team called me a noob for doing nothing but taking three hatcheries, spitting larvae, and spreading creep everywhere, including my allies base. They IMed me after the match telling me to quit i was such a noob.


To be fair, unless they are Zerg the creep will make it impossible for them to build structures within their base. If that happened, a flaming to a lesser extent may be warranted.

And now to contribute:

I began playing SCBW when I was like 8 and only used cheat codes. Eventually in my first year a Korean friend (whom I was to share a house in the coming years) got me into the Proscene and onto ICCUP in 2008. I got to a peak of D+ Terran on ICCUP, nothing to be proud of but it is what it is. Mastering basic fundamentals (read: mechanics) took conscientious effort to not only look away from microing units but to have a mental checklist of things I should be doing every 10-15 sec (check supply, build units, glance at minimap, build expo/production facilities, scout. Rinse and Repeat.) I acknowledged the great resource available to me in TL.net and tried not to be overwhelmed by the depth of gameplay and advice offered to me through not only amazing threads, guides and liquidpedia but also in the accumulated knowledge of the vets on this site whose game knowledge far surpassed anything I believed this RTS was capable of. I read the Commandments, I made sure if I made threads I put some degree of effort into them so that they would stay open and a discussion could take place.

It feels like with SC2's release, every player who has not played BW believes that the new game means new gameplay and mechanics to be figured out. However, the solid fundamentals that good mechanics provides directly applies to SC2 in usefulness.

The arrogance of the SC2 gamers. Wow. Some humble pie needs to be consumed when entering this enormously competitive scene of Starcraft. This arrogance often mixes heavily with ignorance. Terribad players often seem extremely unwilling to listen to any or all criticism when they post a [H] or [D] thread. Insisting on doing it your own way without considering the advice of those here on TL.net to help is both foolish and burning bridges towards improvement. Realizing you are not good is the first step to getting better.

Noobs also need to learn how to use the search bar in the top right, incredible how many people create threads asking simple questions that could have been answered with search. Then we get threads 5 replies long and the just clutter up the left side of TL when I browse.

Rant completed.
TheAngelofDeath
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2033 Posts
November 30 2010 22:51 GMT
#104
Have you read the SC2 strategy section? 0_o People don't hate on new players simply because they're new, they hate on new players who scream imbalance because they lose to a strategy and think they're better than everybody else. If you are nice, productive, and willing to learn, then no one is gonna be an ass hole to you.
"Infestors are the suck" - LzGamer
Smackzilla
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States539 Posts
November 30 2010 22:53 GMT
#105
Some people are just jerks. However, on Liquid, I'd say that people are fairly polite to noobs. If they're not so polite, its usually because they care about the quality of posts on the forum. They don't want Liquid to degenerate into another bnet forum.

If new people read the forum rules, search for previous posts, and put though and effort (and replays) into their posts, they get treated very well. This isn't asking for too much. These are simple courtesies that help make the Liquid forums better.
You see a mousetrap. I see free cheese and a f&%*ing challenge - Scroobius Pip
Treemonkeys
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2082 Posts
November 30 2010 23:02 GMT
#106
On December 01 2010 07:49 FabledIntegral wrote:
It's the know it alls. I hate some idiot shitty platinum player start ranting about how abusive my Terran is in TvZ. I told him I'm just a vastly superior player and he played quite poor. He said there's NOTHING he could have done better. I told him I could have easily handled the situation much better and even beat my own Terran (it was my offrace back then). After he kept ranting, I eventually just said, "look, you're not good at all, you're just an overall poor player," to which he came with this huge lecture on how Plat is the second highest division and that means he's better (which technically is true) than the average player (although he made it sounds like he was heaps and mounds). In the end, it just annoyed me to know end.


I'm sure telling him you were vastly superior annoyed him as well and probably was too pissed off to listen to you. But I do know what you mean about players who just complain and won't take advice. I played a terran who gg'd after a quick bio push failed, and then started whining about how overpowered zerg is. He wasn't that far behind, so I responded by telling him I was really surprised he gg'd so soon and that he should stay in the game for the sake of learning...and possibly winning - he took my advice for the moment and kept playing. But then he decisively lost several minutes later, because his macro was weaker than mine - probably because he gets pissed off and quits too early very often. There was even a point he could have killed me, but didn't realize it and didn't attack. He said "fuck you tell me why I should have wasted my time with this game?" and then left before I could even respond. He didn't want advice, he wanted to be angry and feel like he was playing at a disadvantage.
http://shroomspiration.blogspot.com/
phosphorylation
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2935 Posts
November 30 2010 23:03 GMT
#107
People hate noobs, but they do not hate beginners. Big difference.
Buy prints of my photographs at Redbubble -> http://www.redbubble.com/people/shoenberg3
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
November 30 2010 23:08 GMT
#108
On December 01 2010 08:02 Treemonkeys wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2010 07:49 FabledIntegral wrote:
It's the know it alls. I hate some idiot shitty platinum player start ranting about how abusive my Terran is in TvZ. I told him I'm just a vastly superior player and he played quite poor. He said there's NOTHING he could have done better. I told him I could have easily handled the situation much better and even beat my own Terran (it was my offrace back then). After he kept ranting, I eventually just said, "look, you're not good at all, you're just an overall poor player," to which he came with this huge lecture on how Plat is the second highest division and that means he's better (which technically is true) than the average player (although he made it sounds like he was heaps and mounds). In the end, it just annoyed me to know end.


I'm sure telling him you were vastly superior annoyed him as well and probably was too pissed off to listen to you. But I do know what you mean about players who just complain and won't take advice. I played a terran who gg'd after a quick bio push failed, and then started whining about how overpowered zerg is. He wasn't that far behind, so I responded by telling him I was really surprised he gg'd so soon and that he should stay in the game for the sake of learning...and possibly winning - he took my advice for the moment and kept playing. But then he decisively lost several minutes later, because his macro was weaker than mine - probably because he gets pissed off and quits too early very often. There was even a point he could have killed me, but didn't realize it and didn't attack. He said "fuck you tell me why I should have wasted my time with this game?" and then left before I could even respond. He didn't want advice, he wanted to be angry and feel like he was playing at a disadvantage.


Well he was ranting quite a bit before I said that.
Treemonkeys
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2082 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 23:15:49
November 30 2010 23:14 GMT
#109
On December 01 2010 08:08 FabledIntegral wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2010 08:02 Treemonkeys wrote:
On December 01 2010 07:49 FabledIntegral wrote:
It's the know it alls. I hate some idiot shitty platinum player start ranting about how abusive my Terran is in TvZ. I told him I'm just a vastly superior player and he played quite poor. He said there's NOTHING he could have done better. I told him I could have easily handled the situation much better and even beat my own Terran (it was my offrace back then). After he kept ranting, I eventually just said, "look, you're not good at all, you're just an overall poor player," to which he came with this huge lecture on how Plat is the second highest division and that means he's better (which technically is true) than the average player (although he made it sounds like he was heaps and mounds). In the end, it just annoyed me to know end.


I'm sure telling him you were vastly superior annoyed him as well and probably was too pissed off to listen to you. But I do know what you mean about players who just complain and won't take advice. I played a terran who gg'd after a quick bio push failed, and then started whining about how overpowered zerg is. He wasn't that far behind, so I responded by telling him I was really surprised he gg'd so soon and that he should stay in the game for the sake of learning...and possibly winning - he took my advice for the moment and kept playing. But then he decisively lost several minutes later, because his macro was weaker than mine - probably because he gets pissed off and quits too early very often. There was even a point he could have killed me, but didn't realize it and didn't attack. He said "fuck you tell me why I should have wasted my time with this game?" and then left before I could even respond. He didn't want advice, he wanted to be angry and feel like he was playing at a disadvantage.


Well he was ranting quite a bit before I said that.


Oh yeah I believe it. I've been called so many insults for winning, it is foolish to insult someone who is better than you. The funniest is when the person you just defeated calls you a noob.
http://shroomspiration.blogspot.com/
EdSlyB
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Portugal1621 Posts
November 30 2010 23:25 GMT
#110
Those people who resent newbie players tend to forget that not everyone buys a game (i.e. SC2) to play it several hours a day, all days of the week. Some of them work hard others have families to take care They just want to have some fun and spend some good time.That's how I think things work. Not everybody needs to play at diamond level.

Yes, i'm a noob at SC2 and proud of it because it means I'm better at other things than those people who bash at noobs.
aka Wardo
EdSlyB
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Portugal1621 Posts
November 30 2010 23:29 GMT
#111
On December 01 2010 08:03 phosphorylation wrote:
People hate noobs, but they do not hate beginners. Big difference.


The problem is that people rarely want to see the difference.
aka Wardo
Jsanko
Profile Joined March 2010
Slovakia120 Posts
November 30 2010 23:33 GMT
#112
I don't hate noobs, but I try to avoid them, unless I can use them to mine gain
Mineralzzzzz...
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 23:36:26
November 30 2010 23:36 GMT
#113
This CAD comic basically sums everything up:

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

Willing to learn > Arrogant ignorance.
twitch.tv/cratonz
dhe95
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States1213 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 23:45:53
November 30 2010 23:41 GMT
#114
Most help threads have the player either blaming something else, or they will have bad mechanics. Bad mechanics are so easy to improve without help from other players, but some people are still oblivious to the fact that they aren't macro beasts just because they keep their minerals down since their cc/nexus wasn't building workers for 2/3 of the time.

Then people blaming other stuff are usually stubborn and don't know that being high diamond isn't that great. I'm not saying it's horrible, but it's not great. They also have a tendency because of their belief that they're good and they will not accept anything anybody says and their counterargument will be some stupid kind of theorycraft that doesn't even mean sense and the thread turns into a balance discussion.

Funny thing is, these people seem to be the type of people that will complain about TL being "elitist", when it seems to me it's actually these people thinking that their high diamond rank puts them on the same level as the pros and when they start to act like a pro but still say wrong things/troll, they're warned/banned, which they feel like they don't deserve.

Most people that do recognize their own fault won't even need other people to comment on their replay, so therefore they won't even post, and they can continue while improving by themselves.
DivinO
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4796 Posts
November 30 2010 23:42 GMT
#115
On December 01 2010 04:20 sparkyk24 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 01 2010 04:15 Nutro wrote:
Noob spotted.


Lol, jerk.

I may have the skills of a noob, but I have the heart of a better noob! =D


This is a pretty good view. I mean I don't think you're a noob because I am one but the treat-me-like-I'm-pro view is the problem. Admitting you're a scrub and that you're willing to learn is the first step.
LiquipediaBrain in my filth.
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
November 30 2010 23:43 GMT
#116
On December 01 2010 04:14 Tien wrote:
No one hates noobs.


People hate noobs that think they know everything.


SC2 brought an army of them here.


I think the first post answered pretty well.
MasterFischer
Profile Joined August 2009
Denmark836 Posts
November 30 2010 23:45 GMT
#117
I think this is obligatory:



:D!
WHO is this who speaks to me as though I needed his advice?
Jemmani
Profile Joined November 2010
United States76 Posts
November 30 2010 23:47 GMT
#118
I didnt read all 6 pages. but WoW wasnt like that in vanilla. everyone was helpful and the community wasnt the same. this is probably because the game was hard. and you saw the same faces everyday. Making your annonimity less of an thing. u get a bad rap in wow back in the day. you were an outcast lol.

as far as SC2 goes.... most of the people you play you will never ever see again so they are just asses to begin with... then if they talk shit just leave. you have nothing to prove to them. I normally tell most noobs to just watch day9. and leave. helping them, but never doing anything lol.
Chairman Ray
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States11903 Posts
November 30 2010 23:52 GMT
#119
In starcraft, there's nothing wrong with noobs. In fps games and dota, there is. When you have a teammate that drags you down, it's quite frustrating. Your overall game experience is being degraded because of their existence. That's why people hate noobs so much.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 30 2010 23:53 GMT
#120
Maybe it's something like this: a new player joins a community. Suppose he's either friendly or aggressive. If he's aggressive he likely won't be present too long and others will remember him as someone new. Friendly players would instead grow to be regular community members. So this would naturally lead to new people being distrusted and aquiring a bad name.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 7265
Horang2 553
BeSt 469
Hyuk 453
Stork 161
sorry 116
Pusan 85
Killer 80
Shinee 78
Hyun 68
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 62
Bonyth 49
Snow 47
Mind 36
Bale 34
Hm[arnc] 32
JYJ 22
Sacsri 20
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe4
League of Legends
JimRising 481
Other Games
gofns33891
singsing2018
Mew2King75
ArmadaUGS73
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick663
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream165
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 54
• Adnapsc2 21
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2304
League of Legends
• Lourlo1586
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3m
CranKy Ducklings12
INu's Battles
2h 3m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 3m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 3m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 3m
Replay Cast
13h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.