• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:21
CEST 21:21
KST 04:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9842 users

Nethack, or "F*** You Too, RNG!" - Page 4

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Cool Cat
Profile Joined June 2009
United States1644 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-05 01:24:20
November 05 2011 01:24 GMT
#61
The learning curve for this game is rather high. After around 50 deaths or so, I still have very little idea what I am even doing. How frequently should I be searching for secret passages early in the game?
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
November 05 2011 04:36 GMT
#62
On November 05 2011 10:24 Cool Cat wrote:
The learning curve for this game is rather high. After around 50 deaths or so, I still have very little idea what I am even doing. How frequently should I be searching for secret passages early in the game?

You only need to search if you're reasonably certain that a passage exists, which usually means you need to find it to find the stairs to the next floor or something similar.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
November 05 2011 10:54 GMT
#63
shops are often hidden in corners too. If you look at the map, and there is one corner thats empty, its likely that there is a room there. And you can guess the path that the hallway would take if there was a room in taht corner then search the wall that will likely lead there.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17845 Posts
November 05 2011 11:53 GMT
#64
For those interested in tackling such things:

http://genesismud.org/
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
whatusername
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Canada1181 Posts
November 22 2011 12:21 GMT
#65
Okay, so I downloaded unnethack and i cant see any walls. lmao anyone know whats up with that? all I can see when I start is my character, dog and stairs.

also, how do I turn on vi keys? idk how to config file format works
im gay
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
December 04 2011 04:10 GMT
#66
it might be because of IBMgraphics. Go to options and turn it off or go to config file and disable it.
Perguvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1783 Posts
April 15 2013 22:27 GMT
#67
picked up nethack again a couple of days ago and ascended with samurai. I've only ever ascended with samurai and valkyrie, and I want to try more roles now. It's amazing how much time can be spent on this game without getting boring.

Starting to learn wizard. As a Samurai I didn't even know the Z command existed
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
April 15 2013 22:36 GMT
#68
On April 16 2013 07:27 Perguvious wrote:
picked up nethack again a couple of days ago and ascended with samurai. I've only ever ascended with samurai and valkyrie, and I want to try more roles now. It's amazing how much time can be spent on this game without getting boring.

Starting to learn wizard. As a Samurai I didn't even know the Z command existed


My brother has ascended with tourist and says wizard is the easiest to ascend with. I think wizard hits the endgame requirements a lot easier than other characters but just has a bit of a hard time near the start
Perguvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1783 Posts
April 15 2013 22:51 GMT
#69
On April 16 2013 07:36 BrTarolg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2013 07:27 Perguvious wrote:
picked up nethack again a couple of days ago and ascended with samurai. I've only ever ascended with samurai and valkyrie, and I want to try more roles now. It's amazing how much time can be spent on this game without getting boring.

Starting to learn wizard. As a Samurai I didn't even know the Z command existed


My brother has ascended with tourist and says wizard is the easiest to ascend with. I think wizard hits the endgame requirements a lot easier than other characters but just has a bit of a hard time near the start

Yeah, I find early to early-mid game wizard to be significantly harder than it was with samurai. There's a lot more running and picking your fights. I feel though, that once I get used to the role and get past early and mid game it should be smooth sailing. I'm really digging spellcasting to kill monsters instead of smacking them, it's a refreshing change.
Bog
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Netherlands49 Posts
April 17 2013 04:01 GMT
#70
NetHack, so we meet again. I must have spent over a 1000 hours on this game. Even played it on my old AmigaPC >15 years ago! My best run got to the Plane of Air with a Knight (the magic mirror + magic missile is just OP), but I've never Ascended.

This is without a doubt the game that single handedly changed my perception on games in general. To the point where I no longer find any game satisfying when there are no consequences for screwing up. ('checkpoint every 20 steps-games' I'm looking at you!) The value of a goal is proportional with the associated risk of trying to reach said goal, a wisdom I feel is lacking in many of our more youthful gamers.

List of most influential games of all time? You'd better include a roguelike! (Except Angband, which sucks)

Someday, I WILL ascend!
Perguvious
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States1783 Posts
April 19 2013 05:26 GMT
#71
let's do this.
[image loading]
Therapist.
Profile Joined January 2009
United States207 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-04-19 07:09:21
April 19 2013 06:29 GMT
#72
Just noticed this thread for the first time. Just wanted to say that this is my first and favorite Roguelike. I never knew a game that looked so simple could be so incredibly engaging. Nethack is actually one of the LEAST random Roguelikes that I've played. Once you know how to handle the game, you can achieve some 90-95% win rate which was where I was when I stopped playing a couple years ago.

I love this game so much. I remember so many funny moments. I remember one time I was hallucinating and a succubus seduced me and I got the amazing line, "Time stands still while you and the giant slug lie in each other's arms."

Or hilariously silly deaths like the first time I got blinded right after killing a cockatrice and moved onto its square while not wearing gloves. "You feel around on the floor... do you want your possessions identified?"

I remember as I was developing there were always key things I learned that massively improved my performance. The first was hanging around the mines until I had a full set of dwarvish gear. The second was realizing that if I got an Amulet of Reflection from Sokoban, ascension was basically guarunteed. After you are properly equipped and geared (and dig a few vaults for a few rounds of divine protection), you are basically totally prepared to handle most of the Dungeons of Doom pre-castle, which is enough time to get a well upgraded artifact weapon and most other good stuff you need. The only stupid thing that can kill you are rays or death/disintegration. So having the reflection from sokoban basically assured victory with correct play.

And finally, the thing that removed all the randomness from Nethack for me - the wand of polymorph. Polypiling scrolls ensured that you basically had all the genocide/enchant armor/enchant weapon/identify/whatever you ever needed. That meant that you didn't need to waste wishes on too many magic markers or whatnot, so you could totally deck yourself out in perfect gear. Once I discovered how to polypile properly, I would use 0-3 wishes from the wand of wishing per game (usually first wish was always a wand of polymorph lol).

Love love love this game. Ask me anything if you want. ♥ Gonna start playing again because of this thread.

EDIT: Wanted to add that my favorite combination is Neutral Human Archeologist dual wielding Grayswandir/Silver Saber with Magic Mapping as their class spell so they can always cast it 100%. Best weapon combo in the game and easy Gehennom. Yay. <3

I also consider Neutral Monk to be my most consistent combination. Lawful Knight is especially consistent too (and their magic missile with the magic mirror of merlin is pretty fun too late game). Archeologist wins for crawling the Dungeons of Doom though since Dwarven Mattock is so ridiculous.

I know, I know. Most people consider Wizard to be the most consistent, and THEORETICALLY it probably is. But I just don't like it as much or I'm just not normally patient enough in the early game.
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
April 20 2013 00:34 GMT
#73
lol damn you actually wish for a wand of polymorph that's hardcore
Syxygy
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
558 Posts
April 20 2013 23:25 GMT
#74
If you don't already have a wand of polymorph it's one of the best things to wish for, especially if Ludios is generated so you don't have to make your own stash of random armor/weapons to finish your ascension kit, or to polymorph those 500 unihorns you've been collecting to get a stash of magic markers. Less useful in slash'em as polymorph isn't permanent unless you #dip into a potion of restore ability.
Bermuda
Profile Joined October 2010
Belgium411 Posts
April 24 2013 22:08 GMT
#75
Wishing for a wand of polymorph isn't hardcore. Try farming 5k pudding with that awesome -2 iron dagger and then sorting through all the junk (and of course dying stupidly in the process after many many hours and a level filled with crap and pudding). :p

I used to lurk the newsgroup a lot a few years ago. Learned a lot but only ever ascended as a wizard. Probably because I never really play anything else. The ability to teleport / jump / identify / ray of death / polymorph / summons / magic map and so forth at will... the life of a wizard is just too comfy to go back to another class. But I promised myself I'll ascend a tourist one day.

Tried a few other roguelike as well but never found something like nethack.
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
April 24 2013 23:51 GMT
#76
knight or ranger/rogue are the easiest imo

knight can jump so you just always jump never die

ranger/rogue have really good ranged attacks and ranged attacks are much better than melee so you can kill everything
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Prev 1 2 3 4 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason176
BRAT_OK 80
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13831
Artosis 491
Mini 265
Dewaltoss 134
Mind 84
ZZZero.O 51
Hyun 40
Bale 26
NaDa 19
Dota 2
qojqva2773
420jenkins558
League of Legends
Doublelift24
Counter-Strike
fl0m4103
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5652
Khaldor1321
Liquid`Hasu1053
MindelVK16
Other Games
summit1g4728
FrodaN2000
B2W.Neo796
byalli649
ToD190
Mew2King49
Railgan45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1147
BasetradeTV233
StarCraft 2
angryscii 43
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 37
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 27
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• FirePhoenix7
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3745
Other Games
• imaqtpie875
• Shiphtur271
• WagamamaTV246
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 39m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 39m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 39m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 39m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.