• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:42
CEST 09:42
KST 16:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7534 users

Nethack, or "F*** You Too, RNG!" - Page 3

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
October 11 2011 15:21 GMT
#41
Yeah, Nethack is one of my first gaming loves, and these days, it's like having an old friend that turned into a professional dominatrix as a friend with... benefits?
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
October 13 2011 01:50 GMT
#42
UnNetHack got a big patch a few days ago:
http://unnethack.wordpress.com/2011/10/08/unnethack-3-6-0-released/

Sounds totally awesome. Gonna take a break from NAO while I try this out. Hopefully it doesn't make me hate life like Slash'EM Lethe did.
it's my first day
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
October 13 2011 02:25 GMT
#43
Thanks for the heads up, it's in the OP.
Supamang
Profile Joined June 2010
United States2298 Posts
October 13 2011 02:33 GMT
#44
how hard is this game compared to Angband?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
October 13 2011 02:38 GMT
#45
Haven't played Angband, but most of the old Rogue-likes are all considered fairly difficult.
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
October 13 2011 04:31 GMT
#46
On October 13 2011 11:33 Supamang wrote:
how hard is this game compared to Angband?


I haven't actually played Nethack, but afaik you can't scum levels which might make it harder.
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-13 23:47:11
October 13 2011 04:35 GMT
#47
UnNetHack 3.6 is so slick, auto prompt for unlocking doors if you've got the right tool. The online server hasn't been updated yet (what gives :| ) so I'm just playing locally for now

UnNetHack even has autoexplore.
it's my first day
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
October 19 2011 01:14 GMT
#48
Differences of note between UnNetHack 3.6.0 and vanilla Nethack.

- Press 'v' for autoexplore.

- Unlocked doors automatically open when pressed against - if locked you will be prompted to use any unlocking tool in your inventory

- Intelligent autopickup: If an item is manually dropped, you will never grab it through autopickup. Very handy when working with stashes; no more turning it on and off or accidentally picking up a million potions and spellbooks.

- Lots of small UI improvements.

- Wishing nerfs: wands start with less charges and cannot be recharged. Djinni wishes can no longer give you magic items (no scrolls, artifacts, wands, rings, anything) but magic lamps can be polymorphed (not sure how useful 'infinite' non-magic wishes is *I think the most useful non-magic wishes are athames and shields of reflection*). I don't know about fountain wishes, but I bet they're the same as lamp wishes. Thrones can't give wishes.

- Randomized dragon scales: Dragons have all been renamed and their scale benefits are randomized every game. (e.g. gray dragon is now called sirrush, and its scales can provide mres one game and poison res the next) soooo wishing for gdsm (now sirrush scale mail) just became risky.

- Scroll of Genocide nerf: blessed scrolls act like vanilla unblessed, unblessed only kill all of a certain type on the current floor.

- Unihorns no longer restore stats - restore ability just got 100x more useful.

- Elbereth no longer works against named demons or any quest nemesis. I really hope this game doesn't force you to fight demogorgon.

- The Black Market (from Slash'EM). Gold is actually useful beyond protection now. This is a big deal.

- Lots of changes to gehennom layout. Can't offer an opinion here because I haven't made it that far but I pray it doesn't involve a million sources of summoned nasties.

- New layouts for minetown, sokoban, other special levels.

- Sokoban is only 3 floors, down from 4, and you get a choice of holding/amulet/cloak now. This is amazing IMO.


So yeah. I'm sure there's more that I missed but from what I've experienced, UnNetHack improves on vanilla in big ways. Lots of interesting additions while nerfing the stupidly broken things in intelligent ways. Assuming the tweaked end game isn't a grind of death dealbreaker, I can't see a reason to play vanilla NetHack ever again.
it's my first day
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-20 13:43:09
October 20 2011 13:32 GMT
#49
so after losing my rogue at dlvl 25 due to "i forgot what but it was stupid," I made a knight called Knghty Night. Yes, i spelled it wrong

So I start on a room with a fountain. Sure why not? My stats were bad anyways. First quaff summons a genie with a wish lol. GDSM in first room nice. I go down to the mines, lose my horse to level teleport. For some reason I thought he went to somewhere on the main dungeon so I go back out. I see the sokoban stairs so i figure i might as well get the bag or reflect ammy, both of which would help me greatly. Found a bunch of wands and the BOH. I engrave test the stack on wands. First one was a wand of wishing lol. First time i got this before castle. I think for a bit and just get the charging scrolls. I decide to fix my luck before using the wand furthur. I go down to mines end get the luckstone, and decide to just quaff a fountain there. Another wish lol. I found reflection ammy somewhere along the way, I got speed boots, and 18/20 str or soemthing so I just go for Mitre of holiness. Then i use my wand to wish for a ki-rin. 3 more wishes left on the wand.

If i dont ascend with this guy i should just quit playing alltogether lol.


btw is there a way to increase tameness for ki-rins. I was kicking shit out of the stair square and he got hit by some arrow. Now it keeps neighing and makes me fall off a couple times when i try to ride it;;
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
October 23 2011 16:07 GMT
#50
I have a quick question please help. When you engrave with a weapon to try to bring it down to +5 enchantment, does it show the new enchantment value? I have a +6 blessed rustproof lance. I engraved 1 letter... nothing happend, so i engraved another letter.. nothing. So I tried engraving 2 letters... still nothing. I was scared that maybe it was deducting enchantment but just wasnt showing. So I tried to identify it but its already identified so it doesnt show up.... Im kinda confused lol.

Also, if a pet wields a excaliber, does the automagic serching trigger for him?
Varpulis
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States2517 Posts
October 23 2011 17:12 GMT
#51
ok i feel kind of retarded right now, but what is the command for using stairs? Also how does one go about breaking a boulder? It just hurts me when i kick it, and the kick command is pretty much all i've got.

I can see myself wasting a ton of time on this game, if i can just get the basics down. What class is good for a beginner?
For he is the Oystermeister, lord of all the oysters.
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
October 23 2011 17:26 GMT
#52
On October 24 2011 02:12 Varpulis wrote:
ok i feel kind of retarded right now, but what is the command for using stairs? Also how does one go about breaking a boulder? It just hurts me when i kick it, and the kick command is pretty much all i've got.


< or > for stairs. To break a boulder you need a pickaxe/mattock and then you "a"pply it.

I can see myself wasting a ton of time on this game, if i can just get the basics down. What class is good for a beginner?

Personally I think Ranger and Knight are the easiest to win with but most people seem to think Barbarian or Valkyrie (perhaps because it's annoying, especially with the default interface, to use ranged attacks so often (Ranger) or to jump a ton (Knight)).
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
October 23 2011 19:23 GMT
#53
wizard is most definitely easiest. Start with COMR, Get magicbane garanteed, branchport, unlimited(almost) mp.

Umm and can someone answer my question 2 posts up lol
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-23 22:44:06
October 23 2011 22:43 GMT
#54
yeah I love neutral human Ranger, cloak of displacement is even more useful than mres cloak for early game survival IMO, and you get a massive stack of +2 arrows. Decent chance of getting gifted magicbane. Only downside is no dual wielding.

On October 24 2011 01:07 gameguard wrote:
I have a quick question please help. When you engrave with a weapon to try to bring it down to +5 enchantment, does it show the new enchantment value? I have a +6 blessed rustproof lance. I engraved 1 letter... nothing happend, so i engraved another letter.. nothing. So I tried engraving 2 letters... still nothing. I was scared that maybe it was deducting enchantment but just wasnt showing. So I tried to identify it but its already identified so it doesnt show up.... Im kinda confused lol.

Also, if a pet wields a excaliber, does the automagic serching trigger for him?


Yes, I just tried engraving Elbereth with a +1 dagger, it's now -3.


I'm pretty sure no.
it's my first day
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
October 24 2011 14:48 GMT
#55
as far as wishing for artifacts go, does your own quest artifact factor into your chances of getting the wish?
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
October 26 2011 14:04 GMT
#56
how feasible would it be to beat the game with permanent hallucination? There is actually a patch for this lol. Obviously, having pets would be impossible. Once you get your ascension gear it shouldnt be too impossible, but getting to that point would be ridiculous since u have no way of determining the early dangerous monsters.
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
October 28 2011 01:21 GMT
#57
Hot DOG the UnNetHack server was updated a few days ago. I'm eeviac @ us.un.nethack.nu. Real men play this fork, check it out.

On October 24 2011 23:48 gameguard wrote:
as far as wishing for artifacts go, does your own quest artifact factor into your chances of getting the wish?

99% sure that any artifact counts towards the total. The wiki would point the exception out otherwise I'd think.

On October 26 2011 23:04 gameguard wrote:
how feasible would it be to beat the game with permanent hallucination? There is actually a patch for this lol. Obviously, having pets would be impossible. Once you get your ascension gear it shouldnt be too impossible, but getting to that point would be ridiculous since u have no way of determining the early dangerous monsters.

Considering that the greatest challenge in NetHack is learning the appropriate response to a thousand different forms of death, it sounds virtually impossible to win with permanent hallucination. Is that monster a lichen or a floating eye? You'll never know.
it's my first day
turdburgler
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
England6749 Posts
October 28 2011 01:38 GMT
#58
really offtopic but, jinglehells icon says hes banned?!
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
October 28 2011 10:16 GMT
#59
I cannot get autopickup exceptions to work in slash'em. Whats the deal? Im not running GTK thing and i dont wish to if its possible.

It keeps saying bad option line... anyone know about this?
gameguard
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Korea (South)2132 Posts
November 04 2011 23:01 GMT
#60
Well i just choked to death. My god lol.

I had full ascension gear on my priest. +7 staff of aesculapius, Eye of imbaness, Orb of fate, mitre of holiness, all good spells, a blessed figurine of archon, 2 freaking magic markers. I had EVERYTHING and 2 wishes left. I wasnt paying attention to my hunger bar and ate a nymph and died T_T

Man i didnt even get any early breaks on this priest. It was a tough run... I was using +1 vorpal blade this whole time and i finally got to castle for the wand. Ugh,..

I guess ill go back and finish my knight. This guy has a pet titan with speed boots, shield of reflection and +7 grayswandir. Pet rapes more than my ki-rin knight with +7 lance -__-;
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech141
StarCraft: Brood War
Mong 394
Leta 239
Dewaltoss 110
sSak 58
Killer 37
Bale 34
NotJumperer 33
Aegong 28
ZergMaN 28
yabsab 16
[ Show more ]
Noble 10
Sharp 1
League of Legends
JimRising 544
Reynor39
Other Games
summit1g10874
olofmeister388
Sick199
Happy132
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick774
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream42
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Rush1125
• Jankos540
• Stunt469
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 19m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3h 19m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 19m
Replay Cast
15h 19m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 3h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.