• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:57
CEST 13:57
KST 20:57
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8097 users

Nethack, or "F*** You Too, RNG!" - Page 2

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Abenson
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Canada4122 Posts
October 02 2011 14:17 GMT
#21
This is so amazingly hard.
I remember once getting pretty far (I think it was hell or seomthing)
Then doing something stupid and dying. I ragequitted the game after that.
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
October 02 2011 15:24 GMT
#22
On October 02 2011 05:28 Djabanete wrote:
And for God's sake don't play roguelikes with graphical tilesets --- the learning curve is barely any different (you'll have to "look"-command at everything the first few times you play either way), and ultimately the ASCII is a lot clearer at a glance.


That depends on the actual tileset no?

I find ZangbandTK with Adam Bolt's Original Tileset to be much clearer (and more pleasant to play with as well) than Zangband without a tileset.

I love roguelikes and have played them for many years, but I wish developers with money would find some and make a roguelike with the depth of the classic ones but with a modern package.
Mothra
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States1448 Posts
October 02 2011 15:50 GMT
#23
Better to play with tileset than not at all. I like Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup because it has a nice tileset and interface.
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
October 02 2011 16:01 GMT
#24
I thought this Lethe patch would be cool but the grind is really starting to get to me; I'm on dlvl 67 and I have no idea when it will end. I've killed all the demon lords but haven't found the wizard's tower, and every dungeon floor is filled with these ungenocidable demon mage pricks that summon nasties over and over. The only thing that's keeping me sane is the magic mapping spell.
it's my first day
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
October 02 2011 17:27 GMT
#25
Well, with Nethack, knowing the ASCII is good, if you want to play on NAO. Which does have it's upsides.

myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-02 22:40:25
October 02 2011 22:05 GMT
#26
WELP got crushed by a drawbridge when I was about to grab the amulet on dlvl 72, must've been destroyed while I was standing on it because it was already open. Why I was screwing around with wands of opening when I could've just blown the drawbridge up, I don't really know. The wizard and cthulu were in a fight to the death. didn't get to see who would win.

Anyways I won't be playing the SLethe patch again, the level design is much cooler than the traditional gehennom mazes but the place is packed full of summon nasties mages - my most hated part of this game. Total time waster.

actually this last run was such a miserable experience that I'm questioning my own preference for slash'em over vanilla.
it's my first day
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
October 02 2011 23:45 GMT
#27
Damn. Sounds like a harsh experience. I've been playing casters all day to train myself to use E properly.
Djabanete
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States2786 Posts
October 03 2011 11:01 GMT
#28
On October 03 2011 00:24 kuresuti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 02 2011 05:28 Djabanete wrote:
And for God's sake don't play roguelikes with graphical tilesets --- the learning curve is barely any different (you'll have to "look"-command at everything the first few times you play either way), and ultimately the ASCII is a lot clearer at a glance.


That depends on the actual tileset no?

I find ZangbandTK with Adam Bolt's Original Tileset to be much clearer (and more pleasant to play with as well) than Zangband without a tileset.

I love roguelikes and have played them for many years, but I wish developers with money would find some and make a roguelike with the depth of the classic ones but with a modern package.

I guess I phrased that a bit strongly, considering that it always comes down to personal preference --- but I've tried several roguelikes both ways and I've always been 500% happier with the ASCII. If you prefer tiles that's fine, but I know what my advice to a newbie would be

Most roguelike games involve a fairly large chunk of map being on the screen at any given time, which means that tiles are necessarily fairly small. I don't like the "cramped" feel. However, a game like Diablo has a lot less map on the screen at once, so there's the luxury of having much bigger figures. In a game with hundreds of different kinds of monsters, it's pretty important to have a lot of visual simplicity.

I haven't played roguelikes in a while, but my most recent favorite is the Heng/Entro branch of Angband. Good stuff.
May the BeSt man win.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
October 03 2011 13:45 GMT
#29
I'm with you. If nothing else, I'd say it's kind of like learning to drive a car. There's almost as much to keep up with in the graphical ones, like in driving an automatic, but if you learn in ASCII, or a stick shift, the transition will be easier than the other direction.

Or at least, I'd assume so. By the time I saw the graphical tileset, I'd been using ASCII for years, and it didn't look or feel like the same game to me.

The severity of the transition at that point is roughly akin to going from the first Doom to Crysis.
sopporku
Profile Joined October 2011
13 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-08 02:55:26
October 08 2011 02:53 GMT
#30
dood, u guys want a text based game rich in detail yet designed for completely balanced PvP/PKing centered around skills and timing as well as proper weapon/armor selection?

try Abandoned realms. surge is going on right now. spurts of time in the week for double exp to grind out some of the more difficult to level race/classes.

its got a deviation of success across classes of +/-2%.
get over here!

http://www.abandonedrealms.com/

http://ar.invokation.net/logs/index.php

log board for posting fights to see them. its like replays, but text.
Nukm_
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany104 Posts
October 08 2011 03:09 GMT
#31
to get a good overview about available roguelikes check out roguebasin: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Main_Page

(nethack is not exactly the prime example anymore)
Beamer
Profile Joined March 2010
United States242 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-08 03:54:21
October 08 2011 03:26 GMT
#32
I remember playing Nethack a few years back. The first 5 or so times, I died within the first 3 or 4 levels, but whatever. Then, the next time, I made it past dungeon level 5! What an awesome feeling. I found some cool equipment too, so I felt like I was pro at the game. Then a bee attacked me and I died. Oh well, that's what Nethack does to you, it kills you and makes you want to play again.

EDIT: Made my post a little more Nethack-friendly
myopia
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2928 Posts
October 08 2011 03:39 GMT
#33
Guys I know you mean well but this isn't a roguelike thread - this is a NetHack thread. Searching will give you threads on DCSS or roguelikes in general.


I haven't had much time to play recently, but I'm sticking with NAO for good now. I'm deciding between ascending a rogue or a wizard next.

it's my first day
Hapahauli
Profile Joined May 2009
United States9305 Posts
October 08 2011 03:45 GMT
#34
Ah, probably the best RPG ever made. It's one of the few games that has nearly infinite replay value. I've been playing the game on and off for a decade, and probably will for many years more.
a talking rock that sprouts among the waves woosh
Kring
Profile Joined August 2011
Portugal70 Posts
October 08 2011 04:03 GMT
#35
Oh the memories....

I make love to this game in a menage á trois with starcraft 2.
Evolution complete
NoOdelZ
Profile Joined July 2010
United States14 Posts
October 08 2011 04:16 GMT
#36
Ahhh... I too have memories...
Deep down, after Sokoban...
Dip sword in fountain hoping to get Excalibur.... nymph appears... next thing I know I'm fighting hallucinations. The wizard of Yendor appears before my eyes, and obliterates me.
Good times.
"Is there no redemption for the abolished?"
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
October 11 2011 15:12 GMT
#37
I love this game, as my name suggests. I've never actually ascended, but it's such a cool game.

If you like Nethack, give Dwarf Fortress a try too. They are similar in that you can do a lot of interesting things because TDTTOE.
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
October 11 2011 15:16 GMT
#38
On October 08 2011 13:03 Kring wrote:
Oh the memories....

I make love to this game in a menage á trois with starcraft 2.

Just so you know, it's ménage à trois.

I just started playing The Binding of Isaac as it's easier to get into than other roguelikes. However, I'll probably try NetHack right after as I've heard good things.
Zorkmid
Profile Joined November 2008
4410 Posts
October 11 2011 15:17 GMT
#39
On October 12 2011 00:16 Durak wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2011 13:03 Kring wrote:
Oh the memories....

I make love to this game in a menage á trois with starcraft 2.

Just so you know, it's ménage à trois.

I just started playing The Binding of Isaac as it's easier to get into than other roguelikes. However, I'll probably try NetHack right after as I've heard good things.


I've played tons of roguelikes but I've always loved Nethack. It just has that certain something that other roguelikes lack.

NAO is awesome too.
Stossel
Profile Joined February 2009
United States47 Posts
October 11 2011 15:20 GMT
#40
I ascended 2-3 times. Always wanted to ascend a Rogue or a Ranger but never got around to it. I mostly play Dungeon Crawl now for my roguelikes because as fun as Nethack is, auto-explore is a feature I can't do without these days. Nothing will top the crazy nethack deaths though.

If you're looking to beat the game, Valkyrie is probably your best bet.
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
20:00
WardiTV Mondays #107
IntoTheiNu 1119
WardiTV431
OGKoka 136
Liquipedia
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 1
Afreeca ASL 11693
StarCastTV_EN311
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko390
OGKoka 136
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 13483
Bisu 4841
FanTaSy 3775
Shuttle 1715
Jaedong 1484
BeSt 947
actioN 781
EffOrt 606
Horang2 488
Larva 270
[ Show more ]
Leta 259
Zeus 249
Dewaltoss 116
Barracks 114
Mind 111
Sexy 83
JYJ 75
Mong 73
scan(afreeca) 61
sorry 57
ToSsGirL 52
Shinee 49
Killer 41
Bale 35
sSak 34
soO 31
Free 26
Aegong 22
HiyA 15
Sacsri 10
zelot 10
yabsab 8
Dota 2
Gorgc2089
Dendi637
XaKoH 370
Counter-Strike
x6flipin261
Other Games
singsing2435
olofmeister1320
B2W.Neo527
crisheroes315
Pyrionflax206
Livibee150
dupreeh102
XBOCT1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick575
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 181
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1432
Other Games
• WagamamaTV179
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
4h 3m
Replay Cast
11h 3m
Afreeca Starleague
22h 3m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
23h 3m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC S3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.