• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:43
CEST 13:43
KST 20:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8650 users

Magic: The Gathering - Page 76

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 78 665 Next
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 06 2011 17:22 GMT
#1501
Has anyone tried the non-draw go version of Solar Flare? Basically, the Doom Blades/GftTs over Leaks/Dissipate?
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 18:26:14
October 06 2011 18:12 GMT
#1502
First, I should preface this by saying that my constructed play skill and deck building is lame. But I did help the owner at my local store play test a while. He had me play RDW and Tezzeret against his Solar Flare with: 4 Mana Leaks, 1 Dissipate, 4 Doomblades.

Why would a Solar Flare player tap out in the first 2-3 turns? Isn't there room enough for the counters and the black removal? What goes in place of the counters in the non-draw-go version of Solar Flare?

EDIT: Oh, I guess you could Ponder turn 1 or 2? That's not too bad.

EDIT EDIT: And Dead Weights against RDW? That's not the worst thing ever either. I think you'd still run the counters though >_>
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 06 2011 19:25 GMT
#1503
The reason I ask is because the match up against Tempered Steel is like a free win for Tempered unless I draw the nuts. BSZ/Dead Weight/Day does shit against them post-board if they board correctly. Literally right now, none of the other aggro decks give me fits, but the TS matchup is #terrible. I feel like if take out the control cards, my matchups against some of the control decks go way down.

In either case, when I am boarding against aggro, my counters come out (all of them).

After thinking about it, I think I just need to tune my board for more anti-TS aggro.

And Ponders are ass without someway of consistently shuffling. I smile every time someone plays that card turn 1 right now. Also, Revokes are ass, it doesn't hit the one card I need to hit in Solar, which is that Inkmoth Nexus.
Get it by your hands...
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
October 06 2011 19:32 GMT
#1504
what percentages do you think you have against TS game one? and how much can sideboarding help against them?

you might just want to pray for game one and then go all in on game 2+3.

then again it seems RDW is going to be a big part of the new meta, so Im sure you can find some overlap hate to put in the maindeck
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 19:46:24
October 06 2011 19:45 GMT
#1505
If you are literally dying all the time to Inkmoth Nexus, then you should just bite the bullet and board in Divine Offering. And I guess Misstep might have a place in the matchup, dunno, I don't play Tempered Steel.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 06 2011 19:48 GMT
#1506
On October 07 2011 04:32 Orpheos wrote:
what percentages do you think you have against TS game one? and how much can sideboarding help against them?

you might just want to pray for game one and then go all in on game 2+3.

then again it seems RDW is going to be a big part of the new meta, so Im sure you can find some overlap hate to put in the maindeck


Game 1 is free, I know that already unless I turn 3 Alchemy the nuts. RDW isn't a problem and I can actually squeeze out wins at times against them game 1 and post-board it's actually like 6-4 in my favor (I bring in at least 6 hate cards depending on the build).

Tempered is completely different namely because the number of cards that dodges sorcery speed removal, especially post-board.

I'll tweak it some more.
Get it by your hands...
Risen
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States7927 Posts
October 06 2011 20:04 GMT
#1507
On October 07 2011 04:48 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 07 2011 04:32 Orpheos wrote:
what percentages do you think you have against TS game one? and how much can sideboarding help against them?

you might just want to pray for game one and then go all in on game 2+3.

then again it seems RDW is going to be a big part of the new meta, so Im sure you can find some overlap hate to put in the maindeck


Game 1 is free, I know that already unless I turn 3 Alchemy the nuts. RDW isn't a problem and I can actually squeeze out wins at times against them game 1 and post-board it's actually like 6-4 in my favor (I bring in at least 6 hate cards depending on the build).

Tempered is completely different namely because the number of cards that dodges sorcery speed removal, especially post-board.

I'll tweak it some more.


This is going to sound bad. I feel like this is bad, but you sound desperate and I can sympathize with Revoke being ass against TS b/c of inkmoth. So you killed the TS, great, you're still on one hell of a clock, and odds are if TS resolved you're now at minimum 3 poison b/c inkmoth got in as a 3/3.

Now onto the bad. Side rebuke? God it's a 3 mana removal, though T_T There's so many Tempered steel decks where I play...
Pufftrees Everyday>its like a rifter that just used X-Factor/Liquid'Nony: I hope no one lip read XD/Holyflare>it's like policy lynching but better/Resident Los Angeles bachelor
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 06 2011 20:11 GMT
#1508
Nah, if I was that worried, I would just board hard against Tempered. Go Virulent Wound/Grim Affliction. I am just wondering if anyone tried a different from of Solar Flare than the pass-go version I was playing.
Get it by your hands...
DCLXVI
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States729 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-06 20:55:40
October 06 2011 20:50 GMT
#1509
On October 07 2011 05:11 Judicator wrote:
Nah, if I was that worried, I would just board hard against Tempered. Go Virulent Wound/Grim Affliction. I am just wondering if anyone tried a different from of Solar Flare than the pass-go version I was playing.

I have been messing around with 4x leak 1x dissipate if that counts as draw go..
2x timely 2x Day main deck make the red match up fine as long as they don't get too many koths/phoenixes. I don't see much tempered steel as RDW in my area so I keep the hate in the sideboard - Divine offering and O ring. I do play doom blades instead of GftT as i can answer grave titan with most of my other spells.
I don't see the advantage of going more aggressive than reactionary early game as it is quite nice to sit on 2/3 mana with leak/think2 and dissapate/forbidden. As nice as turn 3 lilliana is, unless I have a answer for what they might play I would rather wait. I don't think the deck can go over the top fast enough to not warrant playing counters.

Do you play Gideons? I've had people advise me to not do so or cut back on him, but since I have two and I love him I play both.
I can already see the ending
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 06 2011 21:05 GMT
#1510
Ghost Quarter also kills Inkmoth Nexus dead and fixes your mana if you have some duals that can't get played. I'd put 1-2 in.
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
October 06 2011 21:32 GMT
#1511
Gut Shot.
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
dignity
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada908 Posts
October 06 2011 22:33 GMT
#1512
Gut shot or even marrow shards. If they attack without any sort of defense booster marrow shards will just wipe their board.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
October 06 2011 22:40 GMT
#1513
On October 07 2011 06:05 deth2munkies wrote:
Ghost Quarter also kills Inkmoth Nexus dead and fixes your mana if you have some duals that can't get played. I'd put 1-2 in.


Ghost Quarter is going to be a mandatory 2-3 of in control I think, since every land in the format crushes you harder than before. Although I suppose it depends on your build, if you have enough pressure you might be able to live without it.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
October 06 2011 22:47 GMT
#1514
On October 07 2011 06:32 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Gut Shot.


No man. Mortapod.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
MCMcEmcee
Profile Joined April 2008
United States1609 Posts
October 06 2011 23:31 GMT
#1515
On October 07 2011 07:47 slyboogie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 07 2011 06:32 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Gut Shot.


No man. Mortarpod.


mortarpod is good too but gut shot is a free instant
[iHs]MCMcEmcee@UFO | のヮの
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 06 2011 23:44 GMT
#1516
On October 07 2011 06:05 deth2munkies wrote:
Ghost Quarter also kills Inkmoth Nexus dead and fixes your mana if you have some duals that can't get played. I'd put 1-2 in.


Ghost Quarter is terrible in tri-color decks, I would just cut Days for BSZ at that point.

As for Marrow Shards/Gut Shot, the life payment is relevant in the match up and 1 damage isn't that good.

As for Gideon, I am going to try him out as a one of out of the board.

As for going reactionary, all of my counter-spells come out post-board, there's no reason to hang to them at all. They put legitimate threats on the board before counter-spells matter and the match up is terrible as is.

I don't play Timely main. My main is suited against control decks right now and the board is 13 cards of hate for aggro/pod/solar flare.

I think the answer is just Divines and go from there and just overlap the aggro hate with tempered specific hate (so e-props to whoever suggested that).
Get it by your hands...
slyboogie
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States3423 Posts
October 07 2011 00:17 GMT
#1517
On October 07 2011 08:31 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 07 2011 07:47 slyboogie wrote:
On October 07 2011 06:32 MCMcEmcee wrote:
Gut Shot.


No man. Mortarpod.


mortarpod is good too but gut shot is a free instant


I can see why Gut Shot seems good but its a value proposition. Mortarpod is more flexible, it doesn't give Tempered Steel that bit of reach against you. It's a body on the ground and it doesn't get thrown into your yard after its primary purpose is served.

Frankly, I wouldn't play either card in Solar Flare, but I like Mortarpod.
"We dug coal together." Boyd Crowder, Justified
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 07 2011 01:43 GMT
#1518
On October 07 2011 08:44 Judicator wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 07 2011 06:05 deth2munkies wrote:
Ghost Quarter also kills Inkmoth Nexus dead and fixes your mana if you have some duals that can't get played. I'd put 1-2 in.


Ghost Quarter is terrible in tri-color decks, I would just cut Days for BSZ at that point.

As for Marrow Shards/Gut Shot, the life payment is relevant in the match up and 1 damage isn't that good.

As for Gideon, I am going to try him out as a one of out of the board.

As for going reactionary, all of my counter-spells come out post-board, there's no reason to hang to them at all. They put legitimate threats on the board before counter-spells matter and the match up is terrible as is.

I don't play Timely main. My main is suited against control decks right now and the board is 13 cards of hate for aggro/pod/solar flare.

I think the answer is just Divines and go from there and just overlap the aggro hate with tempered specific hate (so e-props to whoever suggested that).


Hate to break it to you, but BSZ is sorcery speed as well.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=214061
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
October 07 2011 03:11 GMT
#1519
Hate to break it to you...you're missing my point. If I was to run Ghost Quarters in a Solar Flare deck. I would take the Black Sun Zeniths to cut down on the double W costing cards to make my mana base not suck giant testicles.
Get it by your hands...
deth2munkies
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States4051 Posts
October 07 2011 03:33 GMT
#1520
On October 07 2011 12:11 Judicator wrote:
Hate to break it to you...you're missing my point. If I was to run Ghost Quarters in a Solar Flare deck. I would take the Black Sun Zeniths to cut down on the double W costing cards to make my mana base not suck giant testicles.

I'd cut down on the black over the white, just either cut the Grave Titan for another Sun Titan or something. Day is too important against other Solar Flare decks and if werewolves becomes a deck, it will definitely be necessary for it too. Sun Titan and Gideon are also more important than Grave Titan.

My version isn't quite as controlling and involves reanimating Praetors
Prev 1 74 75 76 77 78 665 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 11039
StarCastTV_EN244
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
herO vs KrystianerLIVE!
TBD vs Percival
CranKy Ducklings125
CranKy Ducklings SOOP29
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko323
ProTech123
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 8092
Jaedong 4162
EffOrt 1968
BeSt 788
actioN 766
Killer 698
Soma 555
Horang2 459
ZerO 392
Pusan 289
[ Show more ]
Stork 209
Zeus 189
Rush 171
Barracks 112
JYJ 110
Mong 57
HiyA 48
Sea.KH 39
ToSsGirL 39
Snow 38
Bale 28
Shinee 27
Terrorterran 26
Sharp 26
Sexy 25
sorry 23
JulyZerg 9
hero 9
Noble 9
Sacsri 8
zelot 6
Dota 2
Gorgc5359
Dendi515
XaKoH 330
League of Legends
Reynor48
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_25
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2446
WinterStarcraft2294
Other Games
gofns63183
singsing1528
olofmeister1252
byalli568
Livibee194
OGKoka 104
ArmadaUGS52
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream310
StarCraft 2
WardiTV220
Other Games
BasetradeTV186
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 129
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV21
League of Legends
• Jankos1767
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 17m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 17m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.