• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:09
CEST 17:09
KST 00:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20266Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9840 users

Simple Questions, Simple Answers - Page 111

Forum Index > Dota 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 109 110 111 112 113 1254 Next
5-s
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1674 Posts
March 30 2012 05:19 GMT
#2201
On March 30 2012 14:05 Nilrem wrote:
My question is regarding focus on balance. Do you guys think that balance for the game is catered toward casuals or progamers? I was thinking about this because Blizzard seems to balance between the two. Then we have heroes like Ursa which I consider to be potentially too strong during pubs, but if it is a team, he can be easily countered. And I wonder if one reason why Ursa has not really been altered is due to him not being very strong during team matches.

What do you mean by altered? If you mean balanced, the balance is supposed to be 99% based on the balance of Dota 1, with a few exceptions like differing attack modifier rules rules. This does cause some temporary problems with Dota 2, mainly due to the fact that most of the games are AP, and the lack of some strong "countering" heroes, a term which I use loosely.
I liked Dota before it was Mainstream.
Nilrem
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States3684 Posts
March 30 2012 06:15 GMT
#2202
On March 30 2012 14:12 Slardar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 14:05 Nilrem wrote:
My question is regarding focus on balance. Do you guys think that balance for the game is catered toward casuals or progamers? I was thinking about this because Blizzard seems to balance between the two. Then we have heroes like Ursa which I consider to be potentially too strong during pubs, but if it is a team, he can be easily countered. And I wonder if one reason why Ursa has not really been altered is due to him not being very strong during team matches.


Valve's focus seems to go with competitive gaming at the moment. They are adding the most "competitive" heroes into the Dota pool in priority, in order to speed release. Honestly, heroes being slowly added will bring a newer dynamic into the game, competitive-wise. May not be the most balanced.....but hey! Might be more entertaining, when lesser picked heroes see some action.


That is what i figured. Heroes like Ursa, if played with a competent player, can walk over pubs if there is not enough stuns or cc's on a team. Probably my most hated hero; when I have him as one of my 3 for Sd, I never pick him because I would feel dirty playing as him.
Meepo Haters gonna Hate. https://twitter.com/KazeNilrem (@KazeNilrem)
writer22816
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States5775 Posts
March 30 2012 06:34 GMT
#2203
On March 30 2012 14:05 Nilrem wrote:
My question is regarding focus on balance. Do you guys think that balance for the game is catered toward casuals or progamers? I was thinking about this because Blizzard seems to balance between the two. Then we have heroes like Ursa which I consider to be potentially too strong during pubs, but if it is a team, he can be easily countered. And I wonder if one reason why Ursa has not really been altered is due to him not being very strong during team matches.


I'm not a dota expert but I've always gotten the impression that Icefrog balances for progamers first (which is of course good). If you look at changelogs you will generally see top competitive picks/bans getting nerfed and pubstomp heroes getting buffed.
8/4/12 never forget, never forgive.
Judicator
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States7270 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-30 15:21:34
March 30 2012 15:18 GMT
#2204
On March 30 2012 15:34 writer22816 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 30 2012 14:05 Nilrem wrote:
My question is regarding focus on balance. Do you guys think that balance for the game is catered toward casuals or progamers? I was thinking about this because Blizzard seems to balance between the two. Then we have heroes like Ursa which I consider to be potentially too strong during pubs, but if it is a team, he can be easily countered. And I wonder if one reason why Ursa has not really been altered is due to him not being very strong during team matches.


I'm not a dota expert but I've always gotten the impression that Icefrog balances for progamers first (which is of course good). If you look at changelogs you will generally see top competitive picks/bans getting nerfed and pubstomp heroes getting buffed.


I can tell you with authority that it is not the case unless here is some meta warping hero or item. The changes are not with progamers in mind since you still had idiots calling for a revert to the old blink dagger. The process is not fast and he gets his info from a variety of sources but he does put more weight into those from higher skill brackets. I personally find his big picture perspective a bit lacking at times when multiple nerfs have to go down in one patch especially when its hero and item.

Edit:
And to the people using Ursa as an example. Get a clue and go think about the assumptions you have made before reaching your conclusion.
Get it by your hands...
Ack1027
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
United States7873 Posts
March 30 2012 17:33 GMT
#2205
Ya the ursa example is making way too many leaps in logic.

Heroes like ursa aren't potentially too strong in pubs because of the hero, its because of the laziness and pub mentality.

In a comp game he doesn't get ' shut down ' anymore because of the hero. It's the same game with the same hero, the attitude is just different. Even in a comp game with ursa [ there have been some ] the general idea is to vlads fast rosh etc...pretty much play the same. The reason he gets shut down by any variety of enemy lineups is because of the mindset.

Icefrog's process isn't perfect but its pretty good. It's slow and methodical and with purpose.
eluv
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1251 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-31 14:12:18
March 31 2012 13:57 GMT
#2206
Does force staff break Batrider's ulti?

Edit: And does it make a difference if it's used on batrider or his target?
"Yes I fucked my way to the GSL partnership" - Sundance
Zlasher
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States9129 Posts
March 31 2012 15:18 GMT
#2207
Nope, it actually just makes him instantly drag the opponent further, its pretty sweet. Not sure if I've ever seen it used on the target before.
Follow me: www.twitter.com/zlasher
Garesh
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany5 Posts
April 01 2012 21:10 GMT
#2208
Simple Question: Is there a TL-Group for low - medium Players to play and learn with/from each other?
LAN-f34r
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand2099 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-01 21:33:25
April 01 2012 21:32 GMT
#2209
yes I believe this is what you are looking for

LoL based, but should be good for anyone.
The only barrier to truth is the presumption that you already have it. It's through our pane (pain) we window (win though).
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
April 01 2012 23:07 GMT
#2210
So I started fucking around with Slardar, and since I had no idea really what to do I just went Armlet -> BKB -> Heart (to basically keep Armlet on at all times and all that obscene amount of HP). Is there anything I could have done better? I feel like I should have gotten a HotD early on or something or a Medallion
nosliw
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2716 Posts
April 01 2012 23:14 GMT
#2211
if you team lacks an initiator, blink dagger is good.
Dubzex
Profile Joined October 2010
United States6994 Posts
April 01 2012 23:19 GMT
#2212
On April 02 2012 08:07 Candadar wrote:
So I started fucking around with Slardar, and since I had no idea really what to do I just went Armlet -> BKB -> Heart (to basically keep Armlet on at all times and all that obscene amount of HP). Is there anything I could have done better? I feel like I should have gotten a HotD early on or something or a Medallion

Blink dagger is good on slardar to initiate. Blink -> crush -> rape.
"DONT UNDERESTIMATE MY CARRY OR YOU WILL BE CARRIED INTO THE ABYSS OF SUFFERING" - Tyler 'TC' Cook
Candadar
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
2049 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-01 23:25:26
April 01 2012 23:25 GMT
#2213
On April 02 2012 08:19 Dubzex wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2012 08:07 Candadar wrote:
So I started fucking around with Slardar, and since I had no idea really what to do I just went Armlet -> BKB -> Heart (to basically keep Armlet on at all times and all that obscene amount of HP). Is there anything I could have done better? I feel like I should have gotten a HotD early on or something or a Medallion

Blink dagger is good on slardar to initiate. Blink -> crush -> rape.


I was thinking blink dagger, but isn't that a bit redundant with a 40% movement speed increase? I was quite easily able to position myself pretty damn nicely and be able to come in from nice angles in teamfights to do a good job, and never really felt the need for it since we had proper initiation anyways.

If we have no initiation though, yeah. Thanks ^^
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
April 02 2012 01:41 GMT
#2214
On April 02 2012 08:25 Candadar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2012 08:19 Dubzex wrote:
On April 02 2012 08:07 Candadar wrote:
So I started fucking around with Slardar, and since I had no idea really what to do I just went Armlet -> BKB -> Heart (to basically keep Armlet on at all times and all that obscene amount of HP). Is there anything I could have done better? I feel like I should have gotten a HotD early on or something or a Medallion

Blink dagger is good on slardar to initiate. Blink -> crush -> rape.


I was thinking blink dagger, but isn't that a bit redundant with a 40% movement speed increase? I was quite easily able to position myself pretty damn nicely and be able to come in from nice angles in teamfights to do a good job, and never really felt the need for it since we had proper initiation anyways.

If we have no initiation though, yeah. Thanks ^^

blink dagger is nice if you're getting gold at a nice pace, but when you're behind it's a bit problematic to be jumping in on people that can blow you up really fast (or they have bkbs), so bkb is really needed at times.

medallion is if you're ahead and/or for very quick roshes (they have some correlation), hotd isnt that helpful on slardar actually, unless its going into late game or you just want to farm all day
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
LAN-f34r
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand2099 Posts
April 02 2012 05:27 GMT
#2215
AC is pretty good on any str carry, and while slar doesn't need the armor (he has high base armor and good agi gain), the -armor stacks with your ulti. Best build: ultimate armor destruction with medalion+AC+deso :D
The only barrier to truth is the presumption that you already have it. It's through our pane (pain) we window (win though).
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
April 02 2012 05:34 GMT
#2216
Ideally, someone else should be buying Medallion for you when you're on Slardar. It's good with him, but he really doesn't need the armor, and you're going to run out of slots really fast with it.
Moderator
zZygote
Profile Blog Joined January 2007
Canada898 Posts
April 02 2012 14:15 GMT
#2217
Just a question is position in low priority qeueu determined by leave %? I've played like 50 games, and I've left like 3 games due to disconnects. I recently just got out of the low priority qeueu like 10 hours ago, but then I got disconnected again and I got another 24hr low priority queue... It sucks.
Hoban
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1600 Posts
April 02 2012 14:35 GMT
#2218
I do believe it is determined by disconnects relative to games played. Have a friend with ~600 games played and I think it was his 13 or 14th leave before he got low priority.
"I am a leaf on the wind."
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
April 02 2012 14:58 GMT
#2219
On April 02 2012 23:35 Hoban wrote:
I do believe it is determined by disconnects relative to games played. Have a friend with ~600 games played and I think it was his 13 or 14th leave before he got low priority.

I thought it was based on having 2 leaves within 24 hours of each other.
Moderator
The Great Taste
Profile Joined January 2012
389 Posts
April 03 2012 00:26 GMT
#2220
On April 02 2012 10:41 rabidch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 02 2012 08:25 Candadar wrote:
On April 02 2012 08:19 Dubzex wrote:
On April 02 2012 08:07 Candadar wrote:
So I started fucking around with Slardar, and since I had no idea really what to do I just went Armlet -> BKB -> Heart (to basically keep Armlet on at all times and all that obscene amount of HP). Is there anything I could have done better? I feel like I should have gotten a HotD early on or something or a Medallion

Blink dagger is good on slardar to initiate. Blink -> crush -> rape.


I was thinking blink dagger, but isn't that a bit redundant with a 40% movement speed increase? I was quite easily able to position myself pretty damn nicely and be able to come in from nice angles in teamfights to do a good job, and never really felt the need for it since we had proper initiation anyways.

If we have no initiation though, yeah. Thanks ^^

blink dagger is nice if you're getting gold at a nice pace, but when you're behind it's a bit problematic to be jumping in on people that can blow you up really fast (or they have bkbs), so bkb is really needed at times.

medallion is if you're ahead and/or for very quick roshes (they have some correlation), hotd isnt that helpful on slardar actually, unless its going into late game or you just want to farm all day


Just on blink dagger, I thought the same as you Candadar, but the extra damage you take from sprint is quite important. Also, they can see you coming with sprint and have some time to react.

Armlet isn't actually that bad on Slardar but you never see it at pro level. It's probably because Slardar has good natural damage with amp and they'd prefer Slardar to tank up with vanguard & BKB so he can initiate without dying that easily.

HotD is an item I really don't like unless you have at least 2-3 major items already on most heroes.

Medallion, as noted, is probably better if someone else holds it such as a support.
Prev 1 109 110 111 112 113 1254 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
22:00
King of the Hill #264
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
MaxPax 338
OGKoka 251
Codebar 38
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47027
Calm 4305
Shuttle 2177
Bisu 1741
FanTaSy 1445
Mini 1019
Soma 697
EffOrt 691
Rush 497
Stork 325
[ Show more ]
Light 304
Hyuk 248
Snow 245
firebathero 224
ZerO 189
actioN 158
Zeus 89
Dewaltoss 86
Barracks 83
hero 76
Killer 62
Sea.KH 59
Hyun 39
Shinee 38
Sharp 38
Pusan 37
ToSsGirL 36
Bale 27
Free 26
PianO 21
Shine 20
Yoon 20
HiyA 16
Aegong 15
sorry 14
yabsab 14
zelot 14
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc6721
Dendi1135
League of Legends
KnowMe25
Counter-Strike
x6flipin229
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes521
Lowko444
Other Games
singsing2342
hiko1746
B2W.Neo381
byalli252
Liquid`VortiX193
Hui .187
Livibee185
mouzStarbuck69
Mew2King68
Trikslyr44
Rex28
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV239
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 6
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV31
League of Legends
• Nemesis2375
Other Games
• Shiphtur290
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 6m
Replay Cast
7h 51m
OSC
1d 7h
Big Brain Bouts
1d 18h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.