• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:48
CEST 17:48
KST 00:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7640 users

are hotkeys really that great? - Page 2

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Pob
Profile Joined February 2004
880 Posts
April 14 2004 19:55 GMT
#21
is this like a quest to see who can get flamed the most?? hautamaki - enlighten...
FreeZEternal
Profile Joined January 2003
Korea (South)3396 Posts
April 14 2004 20:23 GMT
#22
hotkeys are very important -_-;
Waxangel
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
United States33705 Posts
April 14 2004 20:34 GMT
#23
On April 15 2004 03:29 Hautamaki wrote:
I can click my minimap to go to my gates and select them and press the keyboard shortcut, and then press space bar to go back to the fight, than you can press 1-z 2-d 3-z 4-k etc, I guarantee it.


And Wax, when you call me slow, are you referring to my low apm? APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks. I accomplish the same number of tasks as you, I just use fewer clicks because I'm not wasting time setting hotkeys and cycling through them. Personally I'd say I'm faster than you, despite having lower apm. I think the pvp games that we play, where I consistantly outharass you, bear me out on that score.


you can't guarantee that, that wasn't the wisest thing to say -_-

I produce by clicking on gates too ;p
AdministratorHey HP can you redo everything youve ever done because i have a small complaint?
koehli
Profile Joined January 2004
Germany350 Posts
April 14 2004 20:44 GMT
#24
I somehow got the feeling, if we'd take 1000 random players from bnet (USWest, European or Asian Server) Hautamaki would have problems to make it into the Top 990 x_O
You go to war with the Army you have, not the Army you might want or wish to have at a later time.
Socke
Profile Joined November 2002
Germany451 Posts
April 14 2004 20:45 GMT
#25
hotkeys plz, gives you much more control
EAGER-beaver
Profile Joined March 2004
Canada2799 Posts
April 14 2004 20:48 GMT
#26
Hotkeys are like republicans; they're a necassary evil to keep the hippies at bay.
Simon and Garfunkel rock my face off
Yarertz
Profile Joined February 2003
Djibouti1891 Posts
April 14 2004 21:40 GMT
#27
Im terran user and i use hotkeys for most actions.
w/o it i would be TERRIBLE slow
StarCraft : 26.IX.2001 - 8.XII.2004 (1167 days) R.I.P [`]
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
April 14 2004 22:55 GMT
#28
they are innnnnnnnnnnnsaaaaaaaaaaaneeeeeeeeeeeeelllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy important

there's nothing that has made me improve as much as starting using hotkeys. it made a bigger impact than changing from trackball into a normal mouse. which is also incredibly significant.

when you're zealotrushing someone, if you don't have your gateways and nexus hotkeyed, you will either fuck up zealot micro every 20 seconds (which kills you), or you won't be producing probes/zealots. (which unless you kill him, kills you.)

maybe you just have really really really tiny hands or something. but personally I can do 0a with my left hand faster than I can mark 12 units with my mouse and press a. and 1a goes way faster than 0a.

honestly you probably haven't used them enough to realize how beneficial they are. mostly everyone who struggles with bad macro do so because they lack hotkeyed buildings. :/

that's what my tvz lacks too, but im not really fast enough to do it through hotkeys either in lategame. basically when you have to watch your units most of the time, you really really need to have the buildings hotkeyed, but if there's no action going on then it's not important.

Moderator
gravity
Profile Joined March 2004
Australia2330 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-14 23:12:22
April 14 2004 23:08 GMT
#29
I used to use hotkeys for units a lot more, but lately I'm more likely to just drag select. I've never used hotkeys for buildings much.

edit: I hotkey gates when rushing now, but not in mid-game.
Furthermore, tournaments should use matchup-specific maps
FreeZEternal
Profile Joined January 2003
Korea (South)3396 Posts
April 14 2004 23:11 GMT
#30
I hotkey everything -_-;; even tech buildings while they are being built cuz I have to tech while microing,etc.For example while I'm harassing with goons to a terran I hotkey my citadel being built+_+so i can make my templar archive while microing and in exact time+_+;
hasuwar
Profile Joined April 2003
7365 Posts
April 14 2004 23:18 GMT
#31
My response to the original poster, not reading everyone elses.

You say clicking gates and hitting z is faster, and I agree, this is faster than some moron using 1z 2z 3z. I think that is the slowest possible way to macro, period.

However..this is how I macro: 1(click unit), 2(click unit). The same principle applies for me, that does for you. I keep my hand on my mouse, AND I keep my hand on my hotkey numbers, so I can c ontrol my units much faster than you could having to bring your hand back up from hitting Z. Not only that, but macroing with hotkeys allows you to quickly build more units in the heat of battle. You can click 123456 along with clicking on a zealot faster than light (the only down side is that sometimes if you do this too fast, it'll skip a gateway ) But it's worth it to macro and micro your units at the same time, never taking your eyes off the actual action.

Using hotkeys to control your units is a big thing for mobility. If you're facing 20 hydras, and you have 5 dragoons and 10 zealots, you'll want to run your zealots up and try to surround, right? That's easy if you've got your Zealots hotkeyed to 1. You just click 1, and send them around. However, if you're just selecting a bunch of units at once, you'll tell your dragoons to surround too, making them lose shoots, take more damage than normal, and possibly lose. With high templar drops, you usually want to do these in the heat of battle..so your opponet hears he's under attack from the front, and you storm him from the back. You want to control all your units, so you don't lose the front, and you storm him. It'd take too long to click back and fourth to do both at the same time, you might take some big damage (say he storms your front attack, while you're storming his probes..you lose 10 dragoons or something because you couldn't micro it at the same time) hotkeys help. Or if you're going to attack a zerg, and you wind up in a lurker field..you want to get your units out of there as fast as possible, and clicking and selecting just wouldn't be as fast as 1(right click), 2 (rightclick).

You said your fingers are too small for the F keys.. well, unless you're sporting half inch nubs(yes, NUBS, that spells nubs, not newbs, and anyone who says nub as newb is a fucking idiot) (now that that's said, I can move on) you can reach those. If you want to play fast and effecient, your hands should primarily be near your hotkeys..and your fkeys are right up from those, giving you access to both. I guess your hand might be somewhere else if you were macroing by pressing z or d way down oin the keyboard, but give 1click2click a shot and see how that works maybe.

and F keys..you gotta have those f'in f keys(AHAHHAHA, I MAKE FUNNEY) (I just woke up.) The only and best use for F keys for me, is used on your bases. Bases meaning, where you mine from. Using the MAYNARD TRANSFER, YES IT IS THE MAYNARD TRANSFER, DIE!, you can save a lot of probes, as well as make probes quickly and send newly made ones to mine. As I've explained before, f2, select, f3, right click. Faster than light, save you about 20 probes from tank drops. If you get later in the game with more than 3 expos, then after your first ones are massed up with probes, switch them to new bases so you can macro probes from there easily, by just hitting F2, click nexus, click probe (or hit P)

Fuck me... /end rant
Diablo3 ID: Exalted#1710 -------R.I.P. http://hasuwar.isgsa.org. Much love to Toptalent
Toff
Profile Joined December 2002
Norway309 Posts
April 14 2004 23:39 GMT
#32
On April 15 2004 04:11 jca wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2004 03:29 Hautamaki wrote:
APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks.


haha, that's a funny statement. It's like saying to a F1 driver that driving fast means nothing, what matters is winning the race. Any chance of a correlation between the two?

Please stop staying "APM means shit". APM is a measurement that contains some information about your ability to accomplish tasks quickly. That's all it is, but it's not "nothing".


I don't think you understood what he meant. As I understood it he said he was probably as fast or faster than wax even if he had lower APM. Is that a funny statement?
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
April 14 2004 23:47 GMT
#33
Thread creator... are you any good at this game? :-)

I just can't imagine someone being even average at this game without hotkeys :S.
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
April 14 2004 23:52 GMT
#34
it's definitely possible to be decent with toss without using hotkeys.

there are just some aspects you will be really really bad at. like zealot rushing. playing decent pvt without hotkeying anything is definitely possible. but anyone will benefit from using hotkeys.
Moderator
Surv[CIA]
Profile Joined December 2002
Belgium176 Posts
April 15 2004 00:06 GMT
#35
I think for toss the hotkeys for your gates mid game matter a lot. Also when u have a lot units u better htokey 1 2 3 or something to keep your units togheter. I agree with Drone hotkeying is needed for good macro.
http://teambelgium.isgsa.org
hasuwar
Profile Joined April 2003
7365 Posts
April 15 2004 00:16 GMT
#36
On April 15 2004 08:47 Frits wrote:
Thread creator... are you any good at this game? :-)

I just can't imagine someone being even average at this game without hotkeys :S.


I did it for the longest time on regular starcraft..I remember microwaring some guy, and he tried to explain to me what hotkeys were lol. I don't know how I actually started using them. I didn't learn about the shift click toadd to a group until like.. probably 7 months ago
Diablo3 ID: Exalted#1710 -------R.I.P. http://hasuwar.isgsa.org. Much love to Toptalent
jca
Profile Joined April 2003
France273 Posts
April 15 2004 00:18 GMT
#37
On April 15 2004 08:39 Toff wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2004 04:11 jca wrote:
On April 15 2004 03:29 Hautamaki wrote:
APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks.


haha, that's a funny statement. It's like saying to a F1 driver that driving fast means nothing, what matters is winning the race. Any chance of a correlation between the two?

Please stop staying "APM means shit". APM is a measurement that contains some information about your ability to accomplish tasks quickly. That's all it is, but it's not "nothing".


I don't think you understood what he meant. As I understood it he said he was probably as fast or faster than wax even if he had lower APM. Is that a funny statement?

I don't care what he meant, i care about what he wrote which is very clear: "APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks" and even you should be able to read it and realize it's absurd. If you don't, go back to school and learn.
http://www.bwchart.com
Probe (H)
Profile Joined March 2004
Netherlands448 Posts
April 15 2004 00:23 GMT
#38
I don't use hotkeys (much) except for units that is. Im zerg, ok I suck but I can beat some people ^_^
Probe (H)
Profile Joined March 2004
Netherlands448 Posts
April 15 2004 00:23 GMT
#39
but then again, i switch screen fast so my macro is most of times "pretty good".
STIMEY d okgm fish
Profile Joined August 2003
Canada6140 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-15 00:38:02
April 15 2004 00:28 GMT
#40
some pros dont hotkey units in some parts of the game, they only hotkey buildings so they can produce while they micro

I don't care what he meant, i care about what he wrote which is very clear: "APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks" and even you should be able to read it and realize it's absurd. If you don't, go back to school and learn.


the distinction between the speed of accomplishing tasks and APM is absurd? what the fuck? apm doesn't count minimap, f2 f3 f4, alt+c, it counts many things the same despite that some are much easier to do quickly (despite that one needs to do both of them) ... it's so easy to imagine an example where one raises their apm while the speed at which they accomplish tasks remains the same or is lowered, i won't even give you one.

It's far easier for me to click on my minimap than it is to use an Fkey to center on my procution centers. My fingers are too short to reach the Fkeys without moving my whole arm. To do it with my mouse I only need to flick my wrist.


just how short are your fingers? i think this may be more a question of form than of ability. put your pinky on ctrl. put your ring finger on shift. can you reach f2 with your middle finger? is it hard? do it until it isn't hard. problem solved probably. it's much worth it in the right situations. clicking the minimap accurately and quickly is, well.. slower than hitting "11" or f2 or even scrolling. it's a death hole that kills your pace because of the way the mini map works (lets you drag, so you have to almost stop to get it where you want it). if the minimap is faster than everything else, that is very weird. your minimap is godly or everything else is.. slower than the minimap?

as for producing from buildings you didn't hotkey, that is pretty good in most cases as long as you quickly get the buildings on your screen in the first place. a hotkey or a location seems fine, but if your minimap is better than those, then go for it i guess. i am wondering just how fast your minimap is though because it seems to me that one has to stop or drag for longer than it takes to press 11 or f2 in order to get an accurate spot on the minimap. combined with some scrolling it can get pretty quick but. mm. strange

hotkeying is the quickest way to go build a bunch of stuff while keeping your screen on your units, which is sometimes the thing to do. it's also the quickest way to center your screen on while selecting some units, which is the fastest reaction, or even to select and give them an order without centering the screen. at different points in the game either of these will be very powerful and not having them will cost you
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 520
BRAT_OK 54
MindelVK 4
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30647
Bisu 2608
Shuttle 1699
Hyuk 1060
EffOrt 833
Mini 744
Soma 401
Larva 394
ZerO 243
firebathero 233
[ Show more ]
hero 138
Sexy 58
Hyun 45
Mong 44
PianO 36
Trap 36
Pusan 35
Killer 31
ToSsGirL 28
zelot 16
Rock 15
sorry 14
Terrorterran 13
JulyZerg 12
Sacsri 10
Bale 8
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9296
qojqva1658
Dendi945
Counter-Strike
fl0m3150
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1391
crisheroes1051
Liquid`Hasu585
Other Games
singsing2009
B2W.Neo1057
Beastyqt764
Mlord347
Hui .237
Livibee191
Liquid`VortiX149
ArmadaUGS124
KnowMe120
elazer80
Mew2King76
FrodaN17
CosmosSc2 15
ZerO(Twitch)15
Trikslyr3
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream50
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 57
• StrangeGG 39
• mYiSmile125
• Adnapsc2 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7514
League of Legends
• Jankos1758
Other Games
• Shiphtur242
• WagamamaTV210
Upcoming Events
FEL
12m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 12m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 12m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 12m
INu's Battles
20h 12m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
23h 12m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.