• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:49
CEST 17:49
KST 00:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7630 users

are hotkeys really that great? - Page 3

Forum Index > BW General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
ObsoleteLogic
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3676 Posts
April 15 2004 00:29 GMT
#41
I'm about 40-50% hotkey distribution, but I model my control after Nada (though not my playing style). Nada quite possibly has the fastest reactions with his units, and thats because he's always looking at them. When you double tap your hotkey, it centers your view on the group... which can be pretty damn useful (: I also can't imagine playing Zerg without hotkeying your units... particularly late game. I've often gotten 10 groups of Zerg units, and there is quite simply no way I could quickly move them across without 1a2a3a4a5a6a7a8a9a0a. Granted, my hands are pretty large and I can reach 0a pretty easily, I fail to see how drag selecting could possibly in any sense be any faster.

Early game, when I only have ~3 control groups, I like to keep my production buildings 4-7. Thats really helpful TvZ. Watch some Nada replays, TvZ: he often tries to bull the Z's defenses over with his first group of m&m. More often than not, he fails ( : though interestingly, usually wins the game. It does force the Zerg to rebuild their defenses, slowing them down somewhat), but the point is he always has an army ready to replace it, despite having paid constant attention to his troops. Late game, he'll click on the minimap to go back to his production buildings (assuming he has many units hotkeyed). If you watch the VOD of Nada vs HOT-Forever on Isles of Siren, its really impressive when they switch to FP view of Nada. You see how fast he moves around to macro, despite a spread out base.

I'm rambling.

Anyways, anyone who thinks that 200+ apm isn't helpful, should try to play some long, grueling TvP's.
sMi.Silent // Siz)Silent
Probe (H)
Profile Joined March 2004
Netherlands448 Posts
April 15 2004 00:29 GMT
#42
btw i must add, in games i want to win i hotkey my hatches which gives me way more time to micro my units.
DooMeR
Profile Joined July 2003
United States1519 Posts
April 15 2004 00:37 GMT
#43
On April 15 2004 01:59 Hautamaki wrote:
I'm a toss user of course, so I won't speak for zerg and terran, but for me I think that hotkeys are an inferiour choice to just using your mouse and keyboard shortcuts for 90% of the common applications.

It's far easier for me to click on my minimap than it is to use an Fkey to center on my procution centers. My fingers are too short to reach the Fkeys without moving my whole arm. To do it with my mouse I only need to flick my wrist.

When it comes to actually producing units, I'd much rather click my gateways and then hit z/d/t/k than hit 1 then z then 2 then d and so on. It's way more efficient to do stuff with both hands at once than it is to let one hand sit idle while the other has to move twice as quickly to make up. Obviously, you can use both hands on your keyboard to ameliorate that problem, but is that better? Hell no, then you have to move your whole hand again, twice, there and back, and furthermore you won't have enough hotkeys to run every gate anyways past the early-mid game.

When it comes to controlling armies, you cannot use attack move shortcut when you're selecting your army with hotkeys. Again, it's a waste of hand movement, because you have to press a number then a letter then a number and so forth. It's the same problem as construction, even Progamers don't bother to attack move, they just use right click move. That has a lot of drawbacks though. You waste units and lose the first attack any time you move to a spot that you didnt know the enemy was there. Progamers are fast enough that they can retreat, but even they fuck up and lose stuff occasionally. To me, there's just no sense in it unless you have like 30+ troops that you want to move from one side of the map to the other without actually facing any of his units. How often do you have to do that? Is it worth the extra seconds you wasted setting up your hotkeys? Almost never, I say.

I think that most people use hotkeys just for the hell of it, but there isn't actually any good reason to do so 90% of the time.


Oh no you didn't... NO HE DIDN'T... SOMEBODY TELL ME HE DIDN'T DO WHAT I THINK HE DID... OHHHHH YES HE DID... ITS ON NOW, OH ITS ON.

But honestly tho, ur not good at this game so u shouldn't say anything bout this matter of wether progamers are wasting there time or not, cuz even the worst pro would own ya hard .
I dont mean to be BM, but im just being bluntly honest.
STIMEY d okgm fish
Profile Joined August 2003
Canada6140 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-15 00:40:22
April 15 2004 00:39 GMT
#44
When it comes to controlling armies, you cannot use attack move shortcut when you're selecting your army with hotkeys. Again, it's a waste of hand movement, because you have to press a number then a letter then a number and so forth.


probably already been said.. but this is just wrong. players can press keyboard sequences together pretty quickly via 2 different fingers. e.g. 1a2a3a4a. the reason they use right click is well.. right click owns hard if used well, and it is faster, and more useful, more precise, the part you use to micro.. etc.
ObsoleteLogic
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3676 Posts
April 15 2004 00:40 GMT
#45
Frankly Doomer, I saw some replays of you vs aSp]ovlo[, and you didn't strike me as too good :D but then maybe they were off games or you're out of practice. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. (:
sMi.Silent // Siz)Silent
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
April 15 2004 00:50 GMT
#46
having 50% hotkeys means you're having a whole lot of useless clicks.
personally im usually between 8 and 20% hotkey, which is usually enough, but tvz I could use more. I mean, 50% hotkey means every other thing you click is a hotkey. which is obviously too much.

but having 1% hotkey is far from enough. you *need* more than 5%.
Moderator
DooMeR
Profile Joined July 2003
United States1519 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-15 01:03:18
April 15 2004 00:54 GMT
#47
On April 15 2004 09:40 ObsoleteLogic wrote:
Frankly Doomer, I saw some replays of you vs aSp]ovlo[, and you didn't strike me as too good :D but then maybe they were off games or you're out of practice. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. (:

ha i knew he'd show those games to someone. but actually i was having quite an off day + thought he was newb thats y i didn't push that one game -_- i just went tank+vult to run him over. either way im 2-0 with u using my z , but u gave me the benefit of doubt so ill do same ^^. Dunno where this came up tho i never said anything regaurding my skill level ==;
ObsoleteLogic
Profile Joined February 2003
United States3676 Posts
April 15 2004 01:12 GMT
#48
Eri, did you read my whole post?
Because you just said pretty much every pro-Terran post-Nada has a whole lot of useless clicks. Maybe they are not the most useful clicks, but they are not useless (past 5 minutes, at least). Lets review!

10 minutes in. TvZ. I have the Z contained with m&m, he's going lurk. Puttering around in my base, I see a whole bunch of little red dots charging my units on the minimap. I have to double-tap the hotkey corresponding to the units to run away, not able to really inflict any damage since I had to take the time where I could have (inflicted damage), had I been looking at my units, to react.

Assuming I'm constantly hitting my hotkeys, just to look at my units, I see these units coming right away, and can kill a few units before having to back off. Granted I have not seen a replay of you in a long time, but of all I've ever seen, your reaction speed has never impressed me... and I've never seen you above 160 apm

But I love your crazy Norwegian humor.
So no hard feelings? (:
sMi.Silent // Siz)Silent
Toff
Profile Joined December 2002
Norway309 Posts
April 15 2004 01:14 GMT
#49
On April 15 2004 09:18 jca wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 15 2004 08:39 Toff wrote:
On April 15 2004 04:11 jca wrote:
On April 15 2004 03:29 Hautamaki wrote:
APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks.


haha, that's a funny statement. It's like saying to a F1 driver that driving fast means nothing, what matters is winning the race. Any chance of a correlation between the two?

Please stop staying "APM means shit". APM is a measurement that contains some information about your ability to accomplish tasks quickly. That's all it is, but it's not "nothing".


I don't think you understood what he meant. As I understood it he said he was probably as fast or faster than wax even if he had lower APM. Is that a funny statement?

I don't care what he meant, i care about what he wrote which is very clear: "APM means nothing, what matters is how quickly you accomplish tasks" and even you should be able to read it and realize it's absurd. If you don't, go back to school and learn.


You should learn to fucking try to get the meaning of the whole post and not just one sentence. Sure it's cool to take out one sentence and ridicule it, but it is fucking pointless. You should argue meaning not semantics.
luminosity_
Profile Joined September 2003
Canada378 Posts
April 15 2004 01:16 GMT
#50
you can never break 150 apm without hotkeys
Toff
Profile Joined December 2002
Norway309 Posts
April 15 2004 01:17 GMT
#51
But I guess you probably take any critisim of APM kinda personal, since its more or less your claim to fame.
BerZergKer
Profile Joined April 2004
United States69 Posts
April 15 2004 01:20 GMT
#52
I find Zerg to be able to make most of the hotkeys. If you hotkey ur hatches, you can stay at battle for a very long time without looking back to ur bases, since everything is built from the hatches. Also with the large amount of units obviously...

When I play protoss my hot key % is about 10, basically only unit hot keys and nexus hot keys, I don't hotkey all gates and I agree with thread-starter that it's pretty hard for ppl with short hand to be able to macro gates w/ hotkeys.

Terran...no hot keys/ messed up hot keys = lose.
US West - Berzergker
DooMeR
Profile Joined July 2003
United States1519 Posts
April 15 2004 01:21 GMT
#53
ive been at 200+ apm for about a year now, but only in the past 5 months has my mulitasking gotten to the point that i can litterally be attacking+dropping+macroing at virtually same time in an efficient way. So ya alot of people with 200+ apm do alot of useless clicks, but it still helps and as those people get better, there mulitasking starts to benefit much .
cjh
Profile Joined October 2003
Canada857 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-15 01:24:44
April 15 2004 01:21 GMT
#54
--- Nuked ---
Be cool.
luminosity_
Profile Joined September 2003
Canada378 Posts
April 15 2004 01:23 GMT
#55
Nada makes his initial attack with M&M because he believes he can break 4~5 sunkens with good micro. You watch sync, he does the same thing except sync is usually more successful with it than nada
luminosity_
Profile Joined September 2003
Canada378 Posts
April 15 2004 01:24 GMT
#56
Look at GoodFriend FPvod... his mouse barely moves, but he hotkeys so much that his apm is still ~300
ApollyoN
Profile Joined April 2003
United States1297 Posts
April 15 2004 01:28 GMT
#57
Hotkeys are very important, i dont see how you could be a good player without using them.
I just hotkey units and use the f keys for gateway/factory clusters.
SChasu
Profile Joined October 2003
United States1505 Posts
April 15 2004 01:35 GMT
#58
i play lefty style(even though im right handed) so my right hand is on all the keys and i can very easily hotkey gates/units.. i press like 2z3z4z5z but in late game i usually hotkey units and nexus... not gates
totalbiscuit is awful at casting.
GroT
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Belgium3003 Posts
April 15 2004 01:38 GMT
#59
On April 15 2004 08:11 FreeZEternal wrote:
I hotkey everything -_-;; even tech buildings while they are being built cuz I have to tech while microing,etc.For example while I'm harassing with goons to a terran I hotkey my citadel being built+_+so i can make my templar archive while microing and in exact time+_+;


cool
DANCE ALL DAY
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28900 Posts
Last Edited: 2004-04-15 01:41:58
April 15 2004 01:41 GMT
#60
I've often been above 200. only with zerg though. and I'm below 20% hotkey even then.

obsolete you should be smart enough to realize that when every other thing you do is press a hotkey, that's obviously not useful, considering just pressing a hotkey and then not doing anything is really not a useful thing to do. unless you have every single unit you ever use for anything and every single building you ever use for anything hotkeyed, you can't get 50% hotkey use without having a bunch of useless hotkey mashings.

basically, if hotkey+select adds up to more than 50%, it means you're spending more time hotkeying/selecting than you should, as it means you are selecting a unit or using a hotkey without doing anything with the unit/building you selected, which IS VERY RARELY USEFUL. (occasionally, like if you have your lord hotkeyed early game and you see a unit on the minimap and he randomed, pressing the lord's hotkey twice so you can instantly be relocated and see his race, is useful, and then you only press hotkey without doing anything else. ) but in almost all other situations, pressing the hotkey is not useful unless you also do something with the unit(s)/building you selected, and if you always do something with the unit you selected, you won't end up with 50% hotkey use.

I just checked the two nada replays I have on my computer and he had 35% and 42% hotkey use, and 49% and 54% hotkey/select use. 35% hotkey and 49% hotkey/select is pretty close to optimal, imo.. 54% is *slightly* too much, but not close to a "big deal". when people are like 50% hotkey and 15% select however, they really should start spamming less, as it makes them waste time doing useless clicks. early game it's of course acceptable as you're not doing anything more useful then..

also obsolete I think you're dead wrong about my reaction, the fact that I avoided playing with sound for a 3 year period made me focus so much on watching the minimap that it's one of the things I'm best at, and you have hardly ever watched me play..
Moderator
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 520
BRAT_OK 53
MindelVK 4
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 30647
Bisu 2608
Shuttle 1699
Hyuk 1060
EffOrt 833
Mini 744
Soma 401
Larva 394
ZerO 243
firebathero 233
[ Show more ]
hero 138
Sexy 58
Hyun 45
Mong 44
PianO 36
Trap 36
Pusan 35
Killer 31
ToSsGirL 28
zelot 16
Rock 15
sorry 14
Terrorterran 13
JulyZerg 12
Sacsri 10
Bale 8
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc9296
qojqva1681
Dendi931
Counter-Strike
fl0m3238
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1646
crisheroes1077
Liquid`Hasu585
Other Games
singsing2009
B2W.Neo1070
Beastyqt637
Mlord359
Hui .237
Livibee191
Liquid`VortiX149
FrodaN143
ArmadaUGS124
KnowMe124
elazer83
Mew2King76
ZerO(Twitch)16
CosmosSc2 14
Trikslyr3
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 63
• StrangeGG 39
• mYiSmile123
• Adnapsc2 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 12
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7514
League of Legends
• Jankos1786
Other Games
• Shiphtur242
• WagamamaTV205
Upcoming Events
FEL
11m
AI Arena Tournament
1h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
18h 11m
INu's Battles
20h 11m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
23h 11m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 8h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 18h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.