• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:32
CEST 23:32
KST 06:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)50Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8945 users

Cleaning My Mechanical Keyboard

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Qharmonix
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia12 Posts
January 26 2014 09:53 GMT
#1
Hey guys, I recently moved house and went through a long painful month without internet. Naturally, I ran out of things to do and went on to discover the true meaning of profound boredom. Then I realized that my keyboard hadn’t been cleaned in over 6 months and that it was in a pretty disgusting state. Prior to this, if I cleaned my keyboard I did it quite swiftly and treated it like a chore, but this time I was determined to keep myself distracted from my inability to connect to the world and so ended up doing the best cleaning job I’ve done in my life.
So here is a little walk through of how I like to clean my keyboard, with tricks and tips that some of you may not know.

Here are some of the things I used:
• Alcohol wipes (moist tissue works too)
• Q-tips
• Key Cap remover (I just use a plastic card)

[image loading]

Step 1: Removing key caps

This bit is always quite fun, as your motivation is at its highest and you get that false sense of productiveness. I tend to do this bit as I watch a video, but as mentioned before I didn’t have internet, so I had to settle for listening to music (Chili Peppers all the way!!!!!!!).
I know that there are special keycap removers out there, but to be honest it’s a rip off to buy them, so I used a plastic card. To remove the caps, wedge a corner of the card in under the key and gently wiggle it loose. Make sure you are careful when doing this because although mechanical keys are quite durable, you really don’t want to break any thing.
I like to organize the removed keycaps into the keyboard’s layout just because it makes it easier when you put them back on.

[image loading]

Step 2: Cleaning the inside of the keyboard

At this stage I was starting to lose interest and wanted to go do something else because I have a pretty short attention span when it comes to non-game related things. However I had all my keys sitting on my table and didn’t want to just leave them there. So I continued on in disgust, as I started to find 6 months worth of food crumbs, dust and to my surprise a dead bug!
I start by blowing really hard from an angle to remove all the dust that you can initially. Now you use the Q-tips to get in between the narrow nooks and crannies and clean away any residual dust. If you are feeling really anal, clean the inside of your keyboard twice; once with dry Q-tips and once with moist Q-tips. Putting a drop of water on the Q-tips helps to wipe away any stains from prior mini spillages of food or drink.
After I clean the inside, it’s also good to wipe down the frame of the keyboard, as this is where the drops of instant ramen soup seem to land. Using alcohol wipes or wet tissue both work for this.

[image loading]
I found this little dead fella among the many crumbs and hairs. Is it bad that I am glad that my shift key killed it before it could lay any eggs?

Step 3: Cleaning the Key Caps

This is the most tedious part of cleaning a keyboard, because you have to wipe each key cap individually. But I knew I was nearly finished, so the excitement having a clean keyboard for the first time in 6 months encouraged me on.
For this I use alcohol wipes. Mostly because they seem to wipe away that congealed, build-up of hand and finger oil really nicely. You can use moist tissue for this, but I find that it’s not as effective and can cause you to miss some spots because when the keys are wet it’s hard to see the dirt.

[image loading]

Step 4: Final Touches

Be careful when putting the key caps back on, because there is nothing more confusing than having a few keys out of place. But once all the keys are in place, I like to do a final check to see if all the keys are clean and if there are any visible stains left anywhere on the keyboard. And I was done :D
myxoma_strain
Profile Joined December 2013
United Kingdom371 Posts
January 26 2014 10:19 GMT
#2
I think this might make more sense to be in the tech support section
HaruRH
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Singapore2780 Posts
January 26 2014 10:21 GMT
#3
Thanks alot for this little guide, I have the same keyboard and the same amount of nonsense inside. I was considering soaking the whole darn thing in water lol
It is fucking D4 and you are still alive as a CONFIRMED FUCKING TOWN. This is how fucking terrible scum thinks you are - Koshi
Sicion
Profile Joined June 2011
Germany131 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-01-26 11:12:46
January 26 2014 11:09 GMT
#4
Please make a spoiler for the third picture. It is disgusting and not safe for eating!

Step 3 easy mode:
Take all caps
throw them in the dishwasher on low heat
Done

Also you can take a picture before taking all caps off just in case you dont remember their place
There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.
farhanjani12
Profile Joined February 2025
11 Posts
April 24 2025 23:08 GMT
#5
--- Nuked ---
farhanjani12
Profile Joined February 2025
11 Posts
May 07 2025 10:52 GMT
#6
--- Nuked ---
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 28m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech149
Nathanias 143
Nina 99
SpeCial 27
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13086
Bale 9
League of Legends
Doublelift2756
JimRising 346
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4994
Khaldor1373
Liquid`Hasu804
Other Games
summit1g6767
fl0m828
shahzam512
ToD163
FrodaN159
KnowMe137
ArmadaUGS106
Mew2King57
JuggernautJason57
NeuroSwarm42
ViBE33
PPMD13
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV193
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream59
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 30
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Noizen113
Other Games
• imaqtpie892
• Shiphtur164
• Scarra63
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 28m
Stellar Fest
15h 28m
OSC
1d
CranKy Ducklings
1d 12h
Online Event
1d 13h
FEL
1d 18h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 19h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 21h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.