• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:16
CEST 10:16
KST 17:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Dating: How's your luck? Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7922 users

Multiple 1v1 ranks and the future of the ladder

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 Next All
willoc
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada1530 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-18 19:57:59
October 12 2011 22:20 GMT
#1
Disclaimer: This is not about un-ranked ladders. Thank you.

The recent active player-base has been dwindling for 1v1 and this has been a major concern for me. Recently, I looked at my own situation to see if there could be some solutions.

I played a fair bit of 1v1s in the past but stopped due to the amount of stress they caused me. At the start of each new season, I would play 1 game to be placed and would then stop there. I wanted my 1v1 rank to be my 'serious' ranking. I considered my team ranks to be my fun ones where I would try builds and play the random race.

Lately I started a small dedicated team rank (3v3) that we have taken seriously (playing 1 race only, after warm-ups and learning from mistakes). We have had some success and fun doing this and I realized that this could become my new "serious" ranking. I then decided, after much deliberation, that I would stop caring about my 1v1 rank and play the random race on it for fun only. This has been a great success and I have started playing a lot more 1v1s lately.

I then thought: could something like this be the solution to increase (or at least maintain) the active player base on the 1v1 SC2 ladder? I know a lot of people want to keep their 1v1 ranking as their 'serious' ranking so I decided it would be a great idea to allow an account to have multiple 1v1 rankings. I have created a poll below to see whether people would like this idea and see how many 1v1 rankings would be preferable. I understand that having unlimited (or just too many) 1v1 rankings would lead to a lot of smurfing and abuse so I have limited the options to 1 through 4 (explained in the poll).

Poll: How many 1v1 ranks should an account have?

4 (1 for each race) (1458)
 
56%

2 (1 main and 1 fun) (474)
 
18%

1 (stay as is) (393)
 
15%

3 (1 for each race - no random) (297)
 
11%

2622 total votes

Your vote: How many 1v1 ranks should an account have?

(Vote): 1 (stay as is)
(Vote): 2 (1 main and 1 fun)
(Vote): 3 (1 for each race - no random)
(Vote): 4 (1 for each race)



Personally, I would like to see 2 1v1 rankings (in my case: 1 main, 1 fun).

Happy polling! Please post if you have further ideas or comments!

(Clarification: You can think of these seperate 1v1 rankings as "teams" as posted by a very helpful liquidee)

(More Clarification: It's not just about the points, achievements or the rank you are in but more importantly about what MMR you have which affects how well you get matched up with an opponent)

Also, before you start saying I'm a noob or post something moronic like that, I used to be in 1v1 Diamond, now in Platinum. I have ranges of Diamond and Master in team league. Cheers.

-- UPDATE - October 18th, 2011 ---

56% of players (1438) wanted 4 rankings (1 for each race).
18% of players (468) wanted 2 rankings (1 main and 1 fun/off-race).
15% of players (387) wanted it to stay at 1 ranking.
11% of players (294) wanted 3 rankings (1 for each race - no random).

Here are the summarized results and some interesting points from the conclusion of the first poll (October 18th, 2011) and discussion:

- A seperate ranking for each race option on the 1v1 ladder stream would make the most sense if multiple rankings would be implemented. This would simplify ladder rankings in that each player could potentially have a zerg, protoss, terran and random ranking and MMR. Perhaps the Grandmaster league would let in the top race ranking per player only.

- A practice ladder was proposed and some details of how people would like it to work were ironed out: the ladder would not affect your ranking or MMR but would use your MMR to match opponents. I am not keen on having a practice ladder as this would surely curtail the use of the real ladder.

- Very few players seemed adamant about keeping only 1 ranking per player for 1v1. The reasons were usually concerns over smurfing. I must state, however, that I do not think this is valid as the match-making system should match people up correctly shortlfy after starting a new ranking (as it currently does).

- Adding multiple rankings should keep the flux of active players on the ladder the same or increase the amount of active players (fear of off-racing ruining your ladder rank would be gone thus encouraging people to play more 1v1 ladder).


I have continued this discussion on the SC2 Battle.net forums:
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/3413401490#1

Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid!
dLKnighT
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada735 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-12 22:24:54
October 12 2011 22:24 GMT
#2
There should just be an unranked 1v1 "ladder" period.
Hoodlum
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States350 Posts
October 12 2011 22:24 GMT
#3
I think it should be unlimited like it was in brood war, I don't see the point in limiting it other then putting money in the pockets of blizzard
xO gaming owner
blagoonga123
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2068 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-12 22:25:49
October 12 2011 22:24 GMT
#4
i like that idea. it would allow me to offrace better

On October 13 2011 07:24 Hoodlum wrote:
I think it should be unlimited like it was in brood war, I don't see the point in limiting it other then putting money in the pockets of blizzard


what if you were just trying to get back into the game after some time off, and realized you'd only be playing masters+ players who just wanted some easy wins?
FOOL! Pain is my friend! Now let me introduce you to it!
PhsX
Profile Joined September 2011
United States12 Posts
October 12 2011 22:25 GMT
#5
I often wish I could offrace on the ladder, but I'd get absolutely destroyed if I played in the bracket I play in on my main race, so I'd prefer 3 or 4 ranks.
Roach-Immortal is pretty good against stalkers.
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-12 22:26:19
October 12 2011 22:25 GMT
#6
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
Volrod
Profile Joined May 2011
Australia21 Posts
October 12 2011 22:27 GMT
#7
i would love an unranked ladder like in LoL where there are no downsides, being able to play some games and warm up/decide if u want to play a stressful game in the normal ladder would be good, doubt they will impliment this tho
oDieN[Siege]
Profile Joined November 2009
United States2905 Posts
October 12 2011 22:27 GMT
#8
1 for each race obviously. 1 main and 1 for fun? lol
말크 : ^_^~ NeO)GabuAt, vGODieN
MonkSEA
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Australia1227 Posts
October 12 2011 22:27 GMT
#9
An unranked ladder and a ranked ladder is all that is needed.
http://www.youtube.com/user/sirmonkeh Zerg Live Casts and Commentary!
willoc
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada1530 Posts
October 12 2011 22:29 GMT
#10
On October 13 2011 07:27 MonkSEA wrote:
An unranked ladder and a ranked ladder is all that is needed.


What if you want to know how well you are doing (ranking wise) with an off-race?
Be bold and mighty forces will come to your aid!
Zurachi
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada289 Posts
October 12 2011 22:29 GMT
#11
It would be nice to have an unranked 1v1 option that works with your current MMR. It would be much better warm-up/practice than resorting to random custom games where the skill variance is waaaaay too varied.
@ZurachiTV | www.youtube.com/ZurachiTV | "Satisfaction is the beginning of regression."
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
October 12 2011 22:29 GMT
#12
On October 13 2011 07:24 blagoonga123 wrote:
i like that idea. it would allow me to offrace better

Show nested quote +
On October 13 2011 07:24 Hoodlum wrote:
I think it should be unlimited like it was in brood war, I don't see the point in limiting it other then putting money in the pockets of blizzard


what if you were just trying to get back into the game after some time off, and realized you'd only be playing masters+ players who just wanted some easy wins?


So, like BW? The system worked fine, really. Then you'll get smashed a few games? BW was brutal, but had a better system. With iccup, at least.
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
October 12 2011 22:35 GMT
#13
Preferably 5 - one for each race, including random, and one unranked.

A bit unrealistic I admit, that's a lot of 1v1 ladders.
vibeo gane,
IamBoIt
Profile Joined September 2011
Australia18 Posts
October 12 2011 22:36 GMT
#14
Custom games?

Doesn't that cover what you are talking about?
Darth Caedus
Profile Joined May 2011
United States326 Posts
October 12 2011 22:37 GMT
#15
I like the idea of a serious and a casual.

Especially as someone who isn't very good to start with, when I have a few beers in the evening I never let myself play 1v1 because I know it'll just hurt my ranking, even though sometimes I really want to.

And nothing is worse than being drunk and having to do random team games sometimes with allies who are still worse than you when you're playing at like 50%.
Polt: "Those auto-turrets are cute." 10/26/13 commenting on MMA vs. Maru.
FabledIntegral
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
United States9232 Posts
October 12 2011 22:37 GMT
#16
On October 13 2011 07:36 IamBoIt wrote:
Custom games?

Doesn't that cover what you are talking about?


Not even remotely. Just try to think about it. That's all it takes.
Torte de Lini
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Germany38463 Posts
October 12 2011 22:38 GMT
#17
1. You don't need a "fun" one, play custom games or join a group and practice together.
https://twitter.com/#!/TorteDeLini (@TorteDeLini)
Mijati
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom44 Posts
October 12 2011 22:39 GMT
#18
On October 13 2011 07:29 Zurachi wrote:
It would be nice to have an unranked 1v1 option that works with your current MMR. It would be much better warm-up/practice than resorting to random custom games where the skill variance is waaaaay too varied.


Single ladder games matter absolutely zero, along with your ladder points. There is no need for a unranked ladder as if you don't care about rank then simply ignore it. Unranked ladder would split the community and provide less people to play against which is not a good thing and why I hope it'll never happen

Having a ladder for each race has its values and that would be what I'd support most although I have no problems with the current system at all. Having a ranking for each race would encourage more play and off-racing.
BushidoSnipr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States910 Posts
October 12 2011 22:39 GMT
#19
Honestly, I think the reason the player base is dwindling cuz the game makes you feel so shitty when you lose. BW it was hard as hell to get from D to C and a loss didnt mean as much. In sc2-Blizzard's horrible ladder- one loss can make or break your league standing.

Another factor could also be the mass marketing of sc2, many people bought it cuz there was a whole bunch of commercials and hype etc, and they turned out to not be fit for an RTS kinda game.

This whole multiple acc thing would just screw people up honestly

One for "fun"-as in what? stupid builds? or is "fun" just a word for "excuse to play badly"

Everyone knows the ladder will turn into-OH HELL NO EVEN THOUGH I LOST I HAVE A GM ACC-It'll just make BM even worse....and Blizzard doesn't care about BM...lol
Ashes
Profile Joined January 2011
United States362 Posts
October 12 2011 22:39 GMT
#20
If there is a ladder which doesnt count points. I will play in it . Also it doesnt matter for me whether there is 1 account for each race, since i am just gold and looking to have fun. I just fear the ladder dunno y!
1 2 3 4 5 18 19 20 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 561
Larva 61
Hyun 52
Killer 42
Bale 33
scan(afreeca) 32
NotJumperer 31
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Hm[arnc] 10
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto129
League of Legends
JimRising 470
Counter-Strike
ceh9538
edward180
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King97
Other Games
summit1g8262
olofmeister1075
Coldzera 700
Happy330
Sick173
crisheroes6
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick586
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2324
League of Legends
• Jankos855
• Stunt357
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
1h 44m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2h 44m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
15h 44m
Patches Events
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.