• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:01
CEST 06:01
KST 13:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Rp8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8485 users

Nydus Worms, Use them

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
P00RKID
Profile Joined December 2009
United States424 Posts
May 20 2010 08:36 GMT
#1
I have been slowly but surely navigating towards a more and more macro style of gameplay as zerg. Mostly because I have to respond to better and better players, who can hold off lots of the zerg early game attacks. I have been cornered into a pretty standard build, but it just loses to most T or P after they have an expo or maybe 2 expo.

So after watching Day[9] and the like, I decided to explore other options, and I decided to switch back to Nydus play. What a good choice, I must say. They were overused and abused back in the earlier beta patches, but now they are overlooked and rarely seen (from a Z standpoint). They are THE mobility threat the zerg has, and if you can make use of them, you can keep the enemy constantly on the lookout. And even better, they don't notice and you deal some major damage. They are like the cliff jumpers the zerg wish they had.

I am 1300 - 1400 plat so this isn't a top tier sort of strategy. But at my ranking range, zergs should throw in more nydus play, if they are having trouble with a larger econ game.

That being said, I'd like to know what other people think about the current usage of the Nydus Worm.
"Does your butt hurt? 'cause you fell from heaven once the cast was over?" Artosis
stalife
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
Canada1222 Posts
May 20 2010 08:37 GMT
#2
I agree with this. I'm not a zerg player myself, but I think it's a great tactic and can throw many terrans off on timings, or even the game
www.memoryexpress.com
frogmelter
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States971 Posts
May 20 2010 08:41 GMT
#3
Another thing that I don't see zergs do is after you summon the worm and do some damage, you can retreat all your forces back in the worm

That way, you can avoid losing most of your troops while doing damage
TL+ Member
Xinliben
Profile Joined May 2009
United States931 Posts
May 20 2010 08:44 GMT
#4
I'm in gold and I almost never see nydus worms used against me (I am T) to the point where if a zerg snuck one in my base late game, it would probably win the game for him as I would not be prepared at all.
"life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery"
P00RKID
Profile Joined December 2009
United States424 Posts
May 20 2010 08:44 GMT
#5
The worm is also good for microing units near it. If your getting attacked, you can micro your queen, or hydra / roaches, or workers into the worm if they are getting focus fired, and pop them back out to attack.
"Does your butt hurt? 'cause you fell from heaven once the cast was over?" Artosis
humblegar
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Norway883 Posts
May 20 2010 08:49 GMT
#6
Craftcup:
+ Show Spoiler +

haypro uses nydus worms with good effect
P00RKID
Profile Joined December 2009
United States424 Posts
May 20 2010 09:05 GMT
#7
On May 20 2010 17:49 humblegar wrote:
Craftcup:
+ Show Spoiler +

haypro uses nydus worms with good effect


Thanks.

+ Show Spoiler +
And its vs a meching terran none the less. I HATE mech terran as zerg. Let them get too many upgrades and tanks and it just snowballs to the point where Z has no chance.
"Does your butt hurt? 'cause you fell from heaven once the cast was over?" Artosis
BlackHat
Profile Joined April 2010
United States264 Posts
May 20 2010 09:12 GMT
#8
Ugh please don't encourage people to use nydus. I have lost a few games because I don't quite have vision over my whole main (Lost temple is the main offender here) and they put a nydus in the back and roll my base with hydras.

And by that, of course I mean they are hella good and Z should keep an eye out for opportunities to ruin the other player's day with them.
Borsalino for life.
Captain
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States204 Posts
May 20 2010 09:32 GMT
#9
I keep losing to this because I forget to bring my headphones whenever I play SC >.<
"I hope to set an example, you know, for children and stuff."
Vexx
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States462 Posts
May 20 2010 09:39 GMT
#10
I hadn't seen a worm in weeks until today. I got lucky and scanned his expo/army and there was the entrance so I was on the lookout.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the worm supposed to make a sound when it's created? I only hear a roar when it's done building (which is too late...)
I am not nice.
Disarray
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States1164 Posts
May 20 2010 09:40 GMT
#11
The best way i've come to use the nydus is almost counter-intuitive. Instead of using them like the old nydus, I'll use them in more of a war3, town portal sort of way. First off I'll make the building somewhere in the core of my base defended, because If you lose that you can't make more exits, but you can make as many exits as you want (just not at the same time). so often times what i'll do is just send my army (especially when its hydra heavy, since they're so slow) and right before i get into the engagement, i'll slap a nydus exit behind my army, then engage. or not engage, point is i can retreat (if its from me losing the engagement, needing to go back to my base to defend harass, or any other reason) instantly, and can also re-enforce it a lot faster, instead of having units queued to run all the way across the map, they can just nydus it. rallys work wonders.

all-in-all im really surprised not to see more play like this. I understand drops are still drops, and the nydus shouldn't be used soley as a backdoor surprise attack purpose, but overall just surprised at the lack of these at any level of play.
Input limit reached. Please wait to perform more actions.
FuryX
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia495 Posts
May 20 2010 09:45 GMT
#12
the o/lord drops are pretty good too, i notice artosis using it a lot on his videos, and it's a good tactic to use when you want to have main force attacking while having a specops of zergling hydra drop on his main.
Madkipz
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Norway1643 Posts
May 20 2010 10:18 GMT
#13
Problem i have with nydus is that it costs gas and minerals and it might die so ive considered it a gimmic move that you use if you are faar behind and cant engage his army. :`/

Im not really at the skill level where i would want to use gimmic moves, as there are tons of other things i can improve upon my gameplay without resorting to backstabbing my opponents base.
"Mudkip"
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
May 20 2010 10:26 GMT
#14
I thought everyone used nydus
starleague forever
ghosthunter
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States414 Posts
May 20 2010 10:29 GMT
#15
Nydus worm only makes noise upon completion I believe. However it has a building size on the minimap, so you can notice it that way while it's building.
Yeld
Profile Joined April 2010
Austria106 Posts
May 20 2010 10:31 GMT
#16
Im not really at the skill level where i would want to use gimmic moves, as there are tons of other things i can improve upon my gameplay without resorting to backstabbing my opponents base.

Using a Nydus is not any more gimmicky than dropping with overlords or positioning your army correctly. I might read you wrong here, but I get the impression that you see the NW as a cheap way to achieve victory. As I see it, it is another tool in your arsenal, and if you refrain from using it because you think its cheap, then that doesn't help in making you a better player whatsoever.
Lollersauce
Profile Joined April 2010
United States357 Posts
May 20 2010 10:35 GMT
#17
1 nydus attempt = 300 gas.
+ units come out of nydus 1 at a time.
You don't even need to stop the building, just position your army to be ready on the receiving end and lol.
rbkl
Profile Joined March 2010
772 Posts
May 20 2010 10:49 GMT
#18
Well, the good thing about the nydus is that you can hit and run - alot of times, if you can get a good nydus off, you can kill off important buildings (tech buildings / nexus) and then send all of your unitsback in the nydus and poop em back out unharmed.
www.check6gaming.com // www.iugaming.com ** Indiana's Premier Gaming / Starcraft Community **
Madkipz
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Norway1643 Posts
May 20 2010 10:50 GMT
#19
On May 20 2010 19:31 Yeld wrote:
Show nested quote +
Im not really at the skill level where i would want to use gimmic moves, as there are tons of other things i can improve upon my gameplay without resorting to backstabbing my opponents base.

Using a Nydus is not any more gimmicky than dropping with overlords or positioning your army correctly. I might read you wrong here, but I get the impression that you see the NW as a cheap way to achieve victory. As I see it, it is another tool in your arsenal, and if you refrain from using it because you think its cheap, then that doesn't help in making you a better player whatsoever.


Just like rushing voidrays is another tool in protoss arsenal ;?

I agree with the fact that there is a fine line between utterly cheap and simply being more mobile, however rather than paying 300 gas for two nydus worms i would invest in either spire or hydra den and perhaps even get a few upgrades for the same price as two - three worms.

As day9 says. It is important to have the basics down and to understand all 3 matchups before you begin experimenting with terrain advantage, overlord drops and nydus worms.

Because if you can win without these cute things then when you finally start experimenting with them these cute things will become that much more deadly.

I agree that it is great and it can win you games but even in lower platinum, I just think that there are other ways to improve rather than corporate nydus worm and doom drops into your overall strategy.
"Mudkip"
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
May 20 2010 10:53 GMT
#20
I dont know man, seems to me like the top asian Z players use overlord drop to much greater effect and I'm sure that getting a nydus done vs a really good player is just soo hard, if they play right you wont ever be able to get a nydus in their base.
I mean as long as they spot their whole base even scvs can kill a nydus easily, cant say the same for drops.
beep boop
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 59m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 31
Nina 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2402
Shinee 51
NotJumperer 17
Noble 8
Dota 2
monkeys_forever881
NeuroSwarm190
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft423
Other Games
summit1g7224
Coldzera 755
JimRising 672
C9.Mang0410
PiGStarcraft267
ArmadaUGS36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick990
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream327
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo979
• Rush947
• Stunt180
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
5h 59m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
19h 59m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.