• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:15
CEST 10:15
KST 17:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7317 users

Anger after losses

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Steamboatlol
Profile Joined April 2010
United States161 Posts
May 08 2010 10:15 GMT
#1
Hey, so I'm sort of new to competitive RTS' but I've been getting the hang of SC2 and am hanging out about 100 points above everyone in my silver league. my record isn't too bad but I'm finding that I am taking losses really hard. It's just like mentally and a little bit emotionally draining and I just feel like punching my monitor in. Now I've played FPS games for quite some time but I've always taken losses in stride there and kept on playing.

Anyways my question is how do you guys keep from raging after losses (note: I'm not bad mannered to other players just sort of hard on myself)? I mean I try to take a lesson away from each loss but I just get so damn mad and it's stressful.
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9592 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-08 10:21:08
May 08 2010 10:19 GMT
#2
When I'm really frustrated after a loss for whatever reason, I just sit in my chair, and take a few deep breaths. It usually calms me down. Or I go to the other parts of my house and occupy myself for a few minutes with something else, to get my mind off of that loss. I go watch the news on TV, make some tea, go on the balcony to get a few breaths of fresh air, play with the dog or go for a walk with him, things like that.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
DennizR
Profile Joined May 2007
Sweden653 Posts
May 08 2010 10:24 GMT
#3
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/6708513


Day9 has some tips for you
Tidesson
Profile Joined April 2010
55 Posts
May 08 2010 10:26 GMT
#4
The rage comes when you fail to realize the reason why you lost. Believe it or not, theres always a reason. You can't expect to always win and losing is a core part of the game, when it happens the best thing you can do is go watch the replay and see why you lost. At that point is when you are really learning the game, as winning games will not teach you anything. When you learn how to make your losses constructive then you will start moving forward. Sometimes when you play for too long you will build up a lot of stress, its the nature of starcraft, as your senses will get saturated. When that happens just go take a break.
Bobby Kotick: from now on, this company shall be called BeLizard. Derp derp.
LordofToast
Profile Joined May 2008
United Kingdom250 Posts
May 08 2010 10:27 GMT
#5
Losses are probably a sign that the match maker is making you play people in higher leagues which surely is a sign that you are getting better.

The over all aim of the match maker is to make everyone have a 1:1 ratio.

Don't get too down on your win loss ratio. It means nothing. What matters only is your current skill level not your past games against weaker opponents.
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
May 08 2010 10:29 GMT
#6
On May 08 2010 19:15 Steamboatlol wrote: Now I've played FPS games for quite some time but I've always taken losses in stride there and kept on playing.


Suprising for me to hear that if you get angry over RTS, if i personally are getting angry(more or less never have) its always in either a intense FPS game or some DotA-like team work game. I can't get angry in and RTS because im all on my own, unlike the team play

not really sure what to suggest
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
Snaiil
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden312 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-05-08 10:33:03
May 08 2010 10:30 GMT
#7
Whenever I lose and get frustrated over it, I watch the replay of the match. Generally if I get mad over losing, it's because my opponent did something which I should have reacted to, but didn't because I didn't scout it or simply didn't know how to react. So I watch the replay to see what I did wrong and tell myself I won't do that mistake again.

I've found that just watching the replay and seeing that you lost because you made errors and not because your opponent cheesed or used cheap units calms you down a lot. The most important thing is to not just exit the game and immediately start a new ladder game. You will only preform worse and get even more angry then.
dustdust
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany76 Posts
May 08 2010 10:31 GMT
#8
I can deal pretty well with losing as a Terran player, but when getting DT rushed (hidden tech, of course) when having 0 Energy on my OC I rage like mad.
Skygrinder
Profile Joined August 2009
Greece241 Posts
May 08 2010 10:31 GMT
#9
day[9]'s recent video came into mind when i saw this thread
EU: Psychodrama.295 ~ Diamond Random
CheAse
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada919 Posts
May 08 2010 10:33 GMT
#10
Day[9] did a great daily on how to deal with losing. I suggest you check it out on his channel.

I've always been the most calm between my friends when it comes to losing. I think it has a great deal to do with how you take pride in your skill at the game. You can't go into the game thinking that you are a better player then the other person, or be too concerned about winning. I think you need to go into each game with a focus on learning certain builds and strategies, then losing will not feel as such a loss. If after you lose you are too mad and start to reach for those cheasy fast wins, I suggest taking a break until you are ready to play standard again.
SCV good to go sir
OminouS
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden1343 Posts
May 08 2010 10:34 GMT
#11
On May 08 2010 19:26 Tidesson wrote:
The rage comes when you fail to realize the reason why you lost. Believe it or not, theres always a reason. You can't expect to always win and losing is a core part of the game, when it happens the best thing you can do is go watch the replay and see why you lost. At that point is when you are really learning the game, as winning games will not teach you anything. When you learn how to make your losses constructive then you will start moving forward. Sometimes when you play for too long you will build up a lot of stress, its the nature of starcraft, as your senses will get saturated. When that happens just go take a break.


That might be true for some, not for me. When I know why I lost I get really angry at myself for not doing it right. If I don't have a clue I feel like the opponent was way better and no matter what I would have done wouldn't help me win.
On the 6th day JF made Reavers and on the 7th day JF put his opponent to rest
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
May 08 2010 10:35 GMT
#12
Its easy to say all this stuff, but honestly I have never gotten over the bad feelings of losing at SC. I play a ton of FPS (I'm alot better at them than SC), and never had any problems stressing about games, but playing online for BW and SC2 is a different story.

I basically can't play matchmaking online because i just feel so terribly stressed out, I hate to lose, and even after I win I'm more like: "Whew, I'm glad thats over...". The whole idea of playing with some faceless person over the internet is just too much for my competitive instinct.

What I have found is that the only way I can really enjoy SC is playing with friends and people I know, it just seems a lot friendlier and I can talk about the game with them afterward and trade tips and such.
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
ROOTdrewbie
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada1392 Posts
May 08 2010 10:49 GMT
#13
On May 08 2010 19:35 sob3k wrote:
Its easy to say all this stuff, but honestly I have never gotten over the bad feelings of losing at SC. I play a ton of FPS (I'm alot better at them than SC), and never had any problems stressing about games, but playing online for BW and SC2 is a different story.

I basically can't play matchmaking online because i just feel so terribly stressed out, I hate to lose, and even after I win I'm more like: "Whew, I'm glad thats over...". The whole idea of playing with some faceless person over the internet is just too much for my competitive instinct.

What I have found is that the only way I can really enjoy SC is playing with friends and people I know, it just seems a lot friendlier and I can talk about the game with them afterward and trade tips and such.


once the game gets released, there will be tons and tons of UMS games and chat channels ( hopefully :S:S:S:S ) and 1000x more things to do, right now the only thing to do really in sc2 is ladder, which i agree can be a bit stressful, especially since it seems like everyone only cheeses
www.root-gaming.com
valaki
Profile Joined June 2009
Hungary2476 Posts
May 08 2010 10:52 GMT
#14
On May 08 2010 19:15 Steamboatlol wrote:
Anyways my question is how do you guys keep from raging after losses


I usually just move on, or watch the replay, but i can't help but rage when im losing the 10th PvP because of colossus turtling.
ggaemo fan
nedsat
Profile Joined April 2010
27 Posts
May 08 2010 10:53 GMT
#15
Since http://starcraftrankings.com/ aint working correctly atm its kinda hard to prove my point but you might already have notice this. Even the top top players still "only" have 60-70% win rate which ofcourse means they lose 3-4 out of 10 games. So its perfectly "normal" to lose some even for the best. Just take it as a part of the game.
This thinking at least let me care little about losing.
Snaiil
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden312 Posts
May 08 2010 10:57 GMT
#16
On May 08 2010 19:35 sob3k wrote:
Its easy to say all this stuff, but honestly I have never gotten over the bad feelings of losing at SC. I play a ton of FPS (I'm alot better at them than SC), and never had any problems stressing about games, but playing online for BW and SC2 is a different story.

I basically can't play matchmaking online because i just feel so terribly stressed out, I hate to lose, and even after I win I'm more like: "Whew, I'm glad thats over...". The whole idea of playing with some faceless person over the internet is just too much for my competitive instinct.

What I have found is that the only way I can really enjoy SC is playing with friends and people I know, it just seems a lot friendlier and I can talk about the game with them afterward and trade tips and such.

I used to be like you, feeling stressed out and nervous when playing. The turning point was when I started telling myself I was better than the opponent I was about to face every match. It made losing a bit frustrating, but the desire to improve even stronger. If I think I'm better than my opponent, I will be a lot calmer when playing. It's kind of a placebo effect, I think I'm better than my opponent and therefore I push myself to be better.
SarcasticOne
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia213 Posts
May 08 2010 11:01 GMT
#17
basically, the only time that im affected by a loss is TvP losing to the 2 immortal timing push... cause i just cant beat it =)

any other time, it's "what can i do to NOT lose to this again? what did i scout? so i know what to expect next time i scout it..."
SVN-ShaS
Profile Joined January 2010
Australia258 Posts
May 08 2010 11:01 GMT
#18
When you lose, just keep thinking "The more i lose, the more I improve"

And you just cant improve when u keeping raping noob ....
I love FlaSh !!!
ghosthunter
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States414 Posts
May 08 2010 11:15 GMT
#19
I usually call the other person something mean before leaving, and then review my loss and keep playing. I still have yet to ever beat a marine marauder medivac timing push as zerg, but practice practice practice!

As a note, it's mainly if I get crushed by something tedious. Like MMM balls. God I hate MMM balls...

I find very few of my games that I lose to actually be close in skill, which is entertaining/
Cloud1234
Profile Joined January 2010
Greece9 Posts
May 08 2010 11:17 GMT
#20
Guh i have the same problem. And don't get me wrong i never bad manner i ALWAYS gg and i ALWAYS think of what i did wrong. But i just can't help it. I rage too much with myself when im losing :/ (especially to Z that have been hunting me since sc1 )
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 230
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1034
Bisu 147
HiyA 135
Mong 52
hero 39
Shine 36
NotJumperer 30
Bale 27
sorry 23
Noble 8
[ Show more ]
Terrorterran 2
League of Legends
JimRising 529
Counter-Strike
ceh9518
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft776
crisheroes289
Other Games
summit1g8969
olofmeister683
Happy326
PiGStarcraft322
Livibee145
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream536
Other Games
gamesdonequick516
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 7
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH315
• LUISG 20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2375
League of Legends
• Rush1210
• Lourlo1152
• Stunt455
• Jankos307
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 45m
Afreeca Starleague
1h 45m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
15h 45m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 2h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.