• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:05
CEST 11:05
KST 18:05
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10135 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 166

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 164 165 166 167 168 653 Next
Blackhawk13
Profile Joined April 2010
United States442 Posts
June 27 2012 22:52 GMT
#3301
My brother is building a computer and I'm wondering if he should get one of the new intel processors, and if so, which one (theres like 10 different models). I have a i5-2500k in mine, so whatever the new equivalent of that would be for the new line of ivy bridges (minus the overclocking capability because I don't think he'll OC). And also a motherboard to go with. Normal type budget, strictly for gaming.

Thanks for any help =)
Derpmallow
Profile Joined October 2011
United States33 Posts
June 27 2012 23:33 GMT
#3302
I recently had a Gigabyte mobo break down on me, and I'm looking to RMA. While not specifically technology-based, can someone who's used their online RMA service before tell me what the Customer# is for and if I should put something in there, or should I leave it as is?

(For reference: http://rma.gigabyte.us/DirectRMA/EndUser_AddRMA.asp The RMA request page.)
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
June 28 2012 14:19 GMT
#3303
On June 28 2012 07:52 Blackhawk13 wrote:
My brother is building a computer and I'm wondering if he should get one of the new intel processors, and if so, which one (theres like 10 different models). I have a i5-2500k in mine, so whatever the new equivalent of that would be for the new line of ivy bridges (minus the overclocking capability because I don't think he'll OC). And also a motherboard to go with. Normal type budget, strictly for gaming.

Thanks for any help =)


Well, there is not equivalent to the 2500 as the ivy bridges have much better performance than sandy bridge. If your asking what's the "higher end but not the highest" in terms of the i5 ivy bridges, it's the 3550.

But you really should post in the computer build resource thread, making sure to answer all the questions list in the OP. It's very hard to make good hardware reccomendations without that information.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
June 28 2012 17:19 GMT
#3304
Is the GeForce GT 650M considerably better than the GeForce GT 555M?
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-28 17:28:58
June 28 2012 17:27 GMT
#3305
On June 29 2012 02:19 Sovano wrote:
Is the GeForce GT 650M considerably better than the GeForce GT 555M?


Depends on what you mean by "considerably" but, yes it is better by a significant margin.

Detailed benchmarks can be found here: http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-650M.71887.0.html

-Edit: wrong link!
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
June 28 2012 17:30 GMT
#3306
On June 28 2012 23:19 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 28 2012 07:52 Blackhawk13 wrote:
My brother is building a computer and I'm wondering if he should get one of the new intel processors, and if so, which one (theres like 10 different models). I have a i5-2500k in mine, so whatever the new equivalent of that would be for the new line of ivy bridges (minus the overclocking capability because I don't think he'll OC). And also a motherboard to go with. Normal type budget, strictly for gaming.

Thanks for any help =)


Well, there is not equivalent to the 2500 as the ivy bridges have much better performance than sandy bridge. If your asking what's the "higher end but not the highest" in terms of the i5 ivy bridges, it's the 3550.

Much better performance? I don't see that much difference.


On June 29 2012 02:19 Sovano wrote:
Is the GeForce GT 650M considerably better than the GeForce GT 555M?

Compared to GT 555M 144 shader version (the usual), maybe only 25% faster or so. GT 650M is on 28nm and uses less power though. Compared to GT 555M 96 shader version (used in Lenovo Ideapad models and maybe some others?), it's considerably faster, almost twice as fast.

It depends on clock speeds though, which vary by laptop model.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-28 17:39:49
June 28 2012 17:37 GMT
#3307
On June 29 2012 02:30 Myrmidon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 28 2012 23:19 TheToast wrote:
On June 28 2012 07:52 Blackhawk13 wrote:
My brother is building a computer and I'm wondering if he should get one of the new intel processors, and if so, which one (theres like 10 different models). I have a i5-2500k in mine, so whatever the new equivalent of that would be for the new line of ivy bridges (minus the overclocking capability because I don't think he'll OC). And also a motherboard to go with. Normal type budget, strictly for gaming.

Thanks for any help =)


Well, there is not equivalent to the 2500 as the ivy bridges have much better performance than sandy bridge. If your asking what's the "higher end but not the highest" in terms of the i5 ivy bridges, it's the 3550.

Much better performance? I don't see that much difference.



Well, that's why I said it depends on what you mean by "considerably". When I say significant, I mean measurable not necessarily 'a lot'.

Passmark's benchmarks seem to back that up as well: http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce GT 555M

It's hard to compare mobile GPUs "apples to apples" as they are obviously integrated to the system board of a given laptop. Especially in this case as the 555M was generally paired with second gen intels, while the new third gen chips are being paired with the 650.

I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
June 28 2012 17:40 GMT
#3308
Actually I was looking into Lenovo Y series, although someone on the forum recommended for me to look at a Kepler-based GPU instead. However, the Lenovo had a better processor (i7-2670QM), but an inferior GPU, GT 555M. Although I wasn't sure if going for a weaker processor (i5-2450M) with a GT 650M instead would be a considerable trade off in terms for gaming.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
June 28 2012 17:42 GMT
#3309
On June 29 2012 02:40 Sovano wrote:
Actually I was looking into Lenovo Y series, although someone on the forum recommended for me to look at a Kepler-based GPU instead. However, the Lenovo had a better processor (i7-2670QM), but an inferior GPU, GT 555M. Although I wasn't sure if going for a weaker processor (i5-2450M) with a GT 650M instead would be a considerable trade off in terms for gaming.


You'd be better off with the i7 and GT 555M. While the 650M is better, it's still pretty close. You'd get a better performance gain by jumping from an i5 to an i7.

I still say you're better of going for something like an Asus, but that decision is obviously up to you.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Sovano
Profile Joined November 2011
United States1503 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-28 17:48:28
June 28 2012 17:48 GMT
#3310
On June 29 2012 02:42 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2012 02:40 Sovano wrote:
Actually I was looking into Lenovo Y series, although someone on the forum recommended for me to look at a Kepler-based GPU instead. However, the Lenovo had a better processor (i7-2670QM), but an inferior GPU, GT 555M. Although I wasn't sure if going for a weaker processor (i5-2450M) with a GT 650M instead would be a considerable trade off in terms for gaming.


You'd be better off with the i7 and GT 555M. While the 650M is better, it's still pretty close. You'd get a better performance gain by jumping from an i5 to an i7.

I still say you're better of going for something like an Asus, but that decision is obviously up to you.

Alright thanks. I still have about a month to keep looking around before I have to buy a laptop, so I'll probably look into some Asus laptops right now. I honestly haven't looked at their website yet, so I might as well give that a try.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
June 28 2012 17:49 GMT
#3311
On June 29 2012 02:48 Sovano wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2012 02:42 TheToast wrote:
On June 29 2012 02:40 Sovano wrote:
Actually I was looking into Lenovo Y series, although someone on the forum recommended for me to look at a Kepler-based GPU instead. However, the Lenovo had a better processor (i7-2670QM), but an inferior GPU, GT 555M. Although I wasn't sure if going for a weaker processor (i5-2450M) with a GT 650M instead would be a considerable trade off in terms for gaming.


You'd be better off with the i7 and GT 555M. While the 650M is better, it's still pretty close. You'd get a better performance gain by jumping from an i5 to an i7.

I still say you're better of going for something like an Asus, but that decision is obviously up to you.

Alright thanks. I still have about a month to keep looking around before I have to buy a laptop, so I'll probably look into some Asus laptops right now. I honestly haven't looked at their website yet, so I might as well give that a try.


They don't sell direct, you'd have to take a look at a retailer as well.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Wabbit
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1028 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-28 18:44:51
June 28 2012 18:44 GMT
#3312
On June 29 2012 02:42 TheToast wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2012 02:40 Sovano wrote:
Actually I was looking into Lenovo Y series, although someone on the forum recommended for me to look at a Kepler-based GPU instead. However, the Lenovo had a better processor (i7-2670QM), but an inferior GPU, GT 555M. Although I wasn't sure if going for a weaker processor (i5-2450M) with a GT 650M instead would be a considerable trade off in terms for gaming.


You'd be better off with the i7 and GT 555M. While the 650M is better, it's still pretty close. You'd get a better performance gain by jumping from an i5 to an i7.

I still say you're better of going for something like an Asus, but that decision is obviously up to you.


Completely disagree. Go for the 650M. It is noticeably faster and will make an actual (and huge) difference in 99% of games, whereas the i7 will rarely show better performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html (restrict to 555M and 650M)

These Intel CPU's are pretty much never the bottleneck in gaming laptops except in SC2, and even there the i5 2450M is going to be very, very close to the i7 2670QM due to extremely similar/identical 2-core turbo speeds, differing only in extra L3 cache. I have no doubt whatsoever than in those 555M benchmarks the CPU was not a bottleneck.
The answers to most of your Tech Support questions are in the OP. That's why you're not getting a reply. It's been answered before. Read the OP.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
June 28 2012 19:11 GMT
#3313
Lenovo GT 555M sucks. Unless you regularly do workstation things that use all the cores and care about that performance over gaming performance, you want whatever has a GT 650M, at least in terms of hardware specs. A modern hyperthreaded dual core at reasonable clock speeds is plenty fine for gaming—overkill in many games and quite competent in pretty much everything else.

Usually I'd be much more worried about build quality, keyboard / trackpad / screen usability, battery / heat / noise, and so on, for a laptop.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
June 28 2012 19:30 GMT
#3314
On June 29 2012 03:44 Wabbit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2012 02:42 TheToast wrote:
On June 29 2012 02:40 Sovano wrote:
Actually I was looking into Lenovo Y series, although someone on the forum recommended for me to look at a Kepler-based GPU instead. However, the Lenovo had a better processor (i7-2670QM), but an inferior GPU, GT 555M. Although I wasn't sure if going for a weaker processor (i5-2450M) with a GT 650M instead would be a considerable trade off in terms for gaming.


You'd be better off with the i7 and GT 555M. While the 650M is better, it's still pretty close. You'd get a better performance gain by jumping from an i5 to an i7.

I still say you're better of going for something like an Asus, but that decision is obviously up to you.


Completely disagree. Go for the 650M. It is noticeably faster and will make an actual (and huge) difference in 99% of games, whereas the i7 will rarely show better performance.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html (restrict to 555M and 650M)

These Intel CPU's are pretty much never the bottleneck in gaming laptops except in SC2, and even there the i5 2450M is going to be very, very close to the i7 2670QM due to extremely similar/identical 2-core turbo speeds, differing only in extra L3 cache. I have no doubt whatsoever than in those 555M benchmarks the CPU was not a bottleneck.


Hmmmm I partially agree. It ovbiously depends on what he's doing. If he's primarily playing SC2 or doing other things like video editing, the i7 would be better.

But yes, I suppose you're right if he's just playing games in general the 650M might be a better choice.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
xeo1
Profile Joined October 2011
United States429 Posts
June 29 2012 08:16 GMT
#3315
bought a new pc (i5 3570k, z77 board, 8gb ram, corsair cx430, gtx 460).. yet in max army 1v1 battles I drop down to about 30 fps, with all LOW settings. I added the fps cap in variables.txt as well, 30 in menu 60 in game. what could be the problem? oO
EdenPLusDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
571 Posts
June 29 2012 08:25 GMT
#3316
What's wrong with 30 fps? Your fps is meant to drop in max army battles, no CPU in the world can handle that yet.
xeo1
Profile Joined October 2011
United States429 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-29 08:38:01
June 29 2012 08:37 GMT
#3317
On June 29 2012 17:25 EdenPLusDucky wrote:
What's wrong with 30 fps? Your fps is meant to drop in max army battles, no CPU in the world can handle that yet.


hm what if I got a better gpu?

EDIT: basically I'd like it smooth like pros on streams~
Wabbit
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1028 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-29 15:04:03
June 29 2012 15:03 GMT
#3318
On June 29 2012 17:16 xeo1 wrote:
bought a new pc (i5 3570k, z77 board, 8gb ram, corsair cx430, gtx 460).. yet in max army 1v1 battles I drop down to about 30 fps, with all LOW settings. I added the fps cap in variables.txt as well, 30 in menu 60 in game. what could be the problem? oO


The problem is the way SC2 is programmed. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change that and a better video card won't change a thing.

The only solution is to overclock your CPU. That's why you paid extra for the "K" and Z77 so... start by doing a mild OC (like just increasing the multiplier to 42, disable turbo, leave everything else on auto - especially voltages - it should be stable). That'll increase your minimum FPS by quite a bit.

This is all assuming you have some aftermarket cooling, of course.
The answers to most of your Tech Support questions are in the OP. That's why you're not getting a reply. It's been answered before. Read the OP.
TheToast
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4808 Posts
June 29 2012 15:09 GMT
#3319
On June 30 2012 00:03 Wabbit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 29 2012 17:16 xeo1 wrote:
bought a new pc (i5 3570k, z77 board, 8gb ram, corsair cx430, gtx 460).. yet in max army 1v1 battles I drop down to about 30 fps, with all LOW settings. I added the fps cap in variables.txt as well, 30 in menu 60 in game. what could be the problem? oO


The problem is the way SC2 is programmed. There is absolutely nothing you can do to change that and a better video card won't change a thing.

The only solution is to overclock your CPU. That's why you paid extra for the "K" and Z77 so... start by doing a mild OC (like just increasing the multiplier to 42, disable turbo, leave everything else on auto - especially voltages - it should be stable). That'll increase your minimum FPS by quite a bit.

This is all assuming you have some aftermarket cooling, of course.


What?

He's got a high end i5 ivy bridge and you don't think that should be able to run SC2 above 30FPS on all Low settings? With everything on low he should be getting stupid high framerates, unless he left something like physics set on high. Also, the ivy bridges have been proving to get pretty hot when overclocked. Without an after market cooler I would not suggest trying this.

xeo1, open a new thread. This isn't really a simple question and trying to keep up with answers spread out over 3 pages is going to be annoying as hell. If you can, run something like a 3D mark or a PCmark just to give everyone a baseline idea of what type of performance you're getting out of your hardware.
I like the way the walls go out. Gives you an open feeling. Firefly's a good design. People don't appreciate the substance of things. Objects in space. People miss out on what's solid.
Medrea
Profile Joined May 2011
10003 Posts
June 29 2012 16:24 GMT
#3320
30 FPS is a bit low for that setup unless the maxed confrontation is completely ridiculous.
twitch.tv/medrea
Prev 1 164 165 166 167 168 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 169
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 961
Mind 729
Larva 606
ggaemo 588
Stork 320
Leta 185
Bisu 158
PianO 150
Killer 45
Hyuk 34
[ Show more ]
Bale 25
yabsab 22
ZergMaN 21
Hm[arnc] 11
sorry 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe219
League of Legends
JimRising 391
Reynor101
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1150
Other Games
summit1g10263
Mew2King143
ArmadaUGS66
crisheroes26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick501
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream188
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2347
League of Legends
• Stunt1252
• Jankos1066
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
55m
Online Event
1h 55m
FEL
6h 55m
AI Arena Tournament
7h 55m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
9h 55m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d
INu's Battles
1d 2h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.