• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:09
CEST 10:09
KST 17:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion BW General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9909 users

Simple Questions Simple Answers - Page 168

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 166 167 168 169 170 653 Next
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
June 30 2012 23:19 GMT
#3341
I am using a nVidia gefore GTX 285 graphics and a intel q9550 quadcore 2.83hz processor. My fps are around 40-50 most of the game, but when there is a big engagement it drops below 20 fps making it impossible to micro correctly. I already use the lowest settings and used guides to increase fps using the "variables.txt" file, but nothing worked. I'm not an expert on hardware but i would say my hardware should do better then <20 fps on the lowest settings. Does any of you know anything I can do to improve my fps ?? I already tried updating my drivers. One thing I could think of is buying more RAM, as I'm only using 4GB now. But windows taskmanager shows I'm only using 2GB when starcraft2 is loaded... any help is appreciated
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
June 30 2012 23:23 GMT
#3342
On July 01 2012 08:19 neek wrote:
I am using a nVidia gefore GTX 285 graphics and a intel q9550 quadcore 2.83hz processor. My fps are around 40-50 most of the game, but when there is a big engagement it drops below 20 fps making it impossible to micro correctly. I already use the lowest settings and used guides to increase fps using the "variables.txt" file, but nothing worked. I'm not an expert on hardware but i would say my hardware should do better then <20 fps on the lowest settings. Does any of you know anything I can do to improve my fps ?? I already tried updating my drivers. One thing I could think of is buying more RAM, as I'm only using 4GB now. But windows taskmanager shows I'm only using 2GB when starcraft2 is loaded... any help is appreciated


First thing I'd do is use Hardwaremonitor to see what your CPU core temps are hitting in high-unit scenarios.
RiSkysc2
Profile Joined September 2011
696 Posts
June 30 2012 23:24 GMT
#3343
On July 01 2012 08:15 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 08:15 Lineridarz wrote:
Is cleaning your cpu, gpu and rest of case ok to do with a normal brush?


If you mean cleaning heatsinks and cables, yes, if you mean cleaning chips and circuit boards, no.

ok. Thanks for the quick response
MisterFred
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2033 Posts
June 30 2012 23:55 GMT
#3344
On July 01 2012 08:19 neek wrote:
I am using a nVidia gefore GTX 285 graphics and a intel q9550 quadcore 2.83hz processor. My fps are around 40-50 most of the game, but when there is a big engagement it drops below 20 fps making it impossible to micro correctly. I already use the lowest settings and used guides to increase fps using the "variables.txt" file, but nothing worked. I'm not an expert on hardware but i would say my hardware should do better then <20 fps on the lowest settings. Does any of you know anything I can do to improve my fps ?? I already tried updating my drivers. One thing I could think of is buying more RAM, as I'm only using 4GB now. But windows taskmanager shows I'm only using 2GB when starcraft2 is loaded... any help is appreciated


More RAM will not help, not will improving your graphics card or even really lowering most graphics settings (some CPU settings might help). Whenever you have slowdowns based on the number of units on the screen, it's a result of insufficient CPU power - the AI & pathing calculations are adding up and bogging down your processor. An example: A fleet of 10 battlecruisers does not slow your game down, but 120 zerglings will. I'm not entirely sure how well a q9550 is supposed to do in SC2, but it may simply be working normally.

There's really only 3 potential solutions to solving this problem:
1) Find out if there's something wrong with your CPU's performance and, if there's a problem, fix it. (This is why Jinglehell suggested you check your temperatures when lagging in games. You should be able to replicate the problem reliably using a replay or a unit testing map.)

2) Overclock your processor. Results may vary, depending on motherboard & cooling solutions.

3) Upgrade to a faster processor. Sad as it is, SC2 is simply an incredibly CPU-demanding game. There is no modern processor that can reliably play it at 60 fps. Smooth, sure. Max FPS? No.
"The victor? Not the highest scoring, nor the best strategist, nor the best tactitian. The victor was he that was closest to the Tao of FFA." -.Praetor
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
July 01 2012 00:05 GMT
#3345
ok, that helps me a lot! thanks for the quick responses, teamliquid is awesome!
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
July 01 2012 00:18 GMT
#3346
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?


JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2012 00:20 GMT
#3347
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-01 00:32:21
July 01 2012 00:30 GMT
#3348
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason

edit: I already cleaned the CPU cooler but it had no effect
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2012 00:32 GMT
#3349
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
July 01 2012 00:37 GMT
#3350
On July 01 2012 09:32 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.


Yes, but how can my CPU have problems when it is not even using it's full power?? shouldn't it like, use more power to keep up the fps automaticly ?? I'm not really sure what this "30% CPU usage" means though
zezamer
Profile Joined March 2011
Finland5701 Posts
July 01 2012 00:44 GMT
#3351
On July 01 2012 06:56 EdenPLusDucky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 06:34 zezamer wrote:
Does SC2 run better in windowed mode or normal, or doesn't it matter ? (= I have old computer, would the game run better in windowed mode than in normal?)


Windowed mode will perform worse than normal fullscreen.


Oki, thanks
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2012 00:49 GMT
#3352
On July 01 2012 09:37 neek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:32 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.


Yes, but how can my CPU have problems when it is not even using it's full power?? shouldn't it like, use more power to keep up the fps automaticly ?? I'm not really sure what this "30% CPU usage" means though


If the speed limit changes, and you don't see the sign and hit the gas pedal in your car, does your car accelerate anyways to compensate?

The software is the guy at the wheel in this analogy. If the software can't do more with your hardware, your hardware won't do more.
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
July 01 2012 00:52 GMT
#3353
On July 01 2012 09:49 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:37 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:32 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.


Yes, but how can my CPU have problems when it is not even using it's full power?? shouldn't it like, use more power to keep up the fps automaticly ?? I'm not really sure what this "30% CPU usage" means though


If the speed limit changes, and you don't see the sign and hit the gas pedal in your car, does your car accelerate anyways to compensate?

The software is the guy at the wheel in this analogy. If the software can't do more with your hardware, your hardware won't do more.

Ok, so how do I tell my software to go faster then? Or in other words, how do I change the limit for CPU usage for sc2??
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2012 01:02 GMT
#3354
On July 01 2012 09:52 neek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:49 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:37 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:32 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.


Yes, but how can my CPU have problems when it is not even using it's full power?? shouldn't it like, use more power to keep up the fps automaticly ?? I'm not really sure what this "30% CPU usage" means though


If the speed limit changes, and you don't see the sign and hit the gas pedal in your car, does your car accelerate anyways to compensate?

The software is the guy at the wheel in this analogy. If the software can't do more with your hardware, your hardware won't do more.

Ok, so how do I tell my software to go faster then? Or in other words, how do I change the limit for CPU usage for sc2??


you swear violently at Blizzard, like the rest of us. I suppose it's theoretically possible there's something severely wrong with your GPU causing it to limit you instead of your CPU, but that's almost as plausible as politicians telling the truth.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
July 01 2012 01:06 GMT
#3355
The software can't be changed (by you, and not without a whole lot of trouble on Blizzard's part).

The way the game's programming is structured internally, it can't make use of all the resources your CPU has. It's partly the consequence of what's inherently required to run an RTS like SC2 and partly because of the implementation. No software can fully use a CPU, particularly to do something useful, though some types can get a lot closer than others.

Actually, there are parts of your CPU that are being used fully, and everything else is waiting on that.

If all it took were changing some kind of limit, don't you think it would already be the correct way by default?
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
July 01 2012 01:07 GMT
#3356
On July 01 2012 10:02 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 09:52 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:49 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:37 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:32 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.


Yes, but how can my CPU have problems when it is not even using it's full power?? shouldn't it like, use more power to keep up the fps automaticly ?? I'm not really sure what this "30% CPU usage" means though


If the speed limit changes, and you don't see the sign and hit the gas pedal in your car, does your car accelerate anyways to compensate?

The software is the guy at the wheel in this analogy. If the software can't do more with your hardware, your hardware won't do more.

Ok, so how do I tell my software to go faster then? Or in other words, how do I change the limit for CPU usage for sc2??


you swear violently at Blizzard, like the rest of us. I suppose it's theoretically possible there's something severely wrong with your GPU causing it to limit you instead of your CPU, but that's almost as plausible as politicians telling the truth.

Ah, so sc2 tells my CPU it can only use like 20% of its capacity ?? hm but then how would buying a new CPU help me ?? So if you're right, my CPU can do like 5 times better but sc2 is just not allowing it ? that's weird
neek
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands51 Posts
July 01 2012 01:09 GMT
#3357
On July 01 2012 10:06 Myrmidon wrote:
The software can't be changed (by you, and not without a whole lot of trouble on Blizzard's part).

The way the game's programming is structured internally, it can't make use of all the resources your CPU has. It's partly the consequence of what's inherently required to run an RTS like SC2 and partly because of the implementation. No software can fully use a CPU, particularly to do something useful, though some types can get a lot closer than others.

Actually, there are parts of your CPU that are being used fully, and everything else is waiting on that.

If all it took were changing some kind of limit, don't you think it would already be the correct way by default?


yea, I understand it can't use all rescources of the CPU, but only 20% seems so little, especially when it needs a lot more than that as I only have like 15-20 fps during a battle
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2012 01:19 GMT
#3358
On July 01 2012 10:07 neek wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 01 2012 10:02 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:52 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:49 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:37 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:32 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:30 neek wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:20 JingleHell wrote:
On July 01 2012 09:18 neek wrote:
few more things:

I am currently using Windows Vista. Will upgrading to Windows7 help me at all?

I checked the temperature of my CPU, and indeed it gets really high. I downloaded a program called Open Hardware Monitor and it shows the max temperature of my CPU is 61C and when im doing normal work it's about 50-55C. Then i checked the temperature when watching a replay where 200/200 army's fight each other, during that the temperature was higher, almost reaching max. Does this mean my CPU is simply not good enough and I should buy a new one or overclock? Will buying better cooling be an option?




What are you calling "almost reaching max". Also, you're getting core temps, yes? And the first solution is to see if your CPU cooler is dusty as shit.


It went up to 59C. Yes these are core temps, so I have 4 different temps. But only core 1 showed signicant changes so I didn't mention the other. But now the max temps are changing for some reason, I don't really understand. Also one more thing to note: I also checked the CPU-usage, using windows task manager, and weirdly enough it doesn't really show difference, it stays around 30%... so maybe my CPU isn't too bad, but it's not performing to its potential for some reason


Uhm, if the "max temps" you mean are the ones in hardware monitor's rightmost column, that's the max since you've started the software. Core temps for C2Q are safe quite a lot higher than that. I'd guess you're just having situational trouble with your CPU keeping up with unit counts.


Yes, but how can my CPU have problems when it is not even using it's full power?? shouldn't it like, use more power to keep up the fps automaticly ?? I'm not really sure what this "30% CPU usage" means though


If the speed limit changes, and you don't see the sign and hit the gas pedal in your car, does your car accelerate anyways to compensate?

The software is the guy at the wheel in this analogy. If the software can't do more with your hardware, your hardware won't do more.

Ok, so how do I tell my software to go faster then? Or in other words, how do I change the limit for CPU usage for sc2??


you swear violently at Blizzard, like the rest of us. I suppose it's theoretically possible there's something severely wrong with your GPU causing it to limit you instead of your CPU, but that's almost as plausible as politicians telling the truth.

Ah, so sc2 tells my CPU it can only use like 20% of its capacity ?? hm but then how would buying a new CPU help me ?? So if you're right, my CPU can do like 5 times better but sc2 is just not allowing it ? that's weird


It can use up to two cores effectively, at most, to oversimplify it. If each core it uses is faster, it gets better performance.

I think Blizzard mostly tries to argue that they made SC2 not use CPU's efficiently to "help" people with worse computers, but I wouldn't buy that with Bill Gate's money.
EdenPLusDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
571 Posts
July 01 2012 21:46 GMT
#3359
Does intel quicksync help with streaming at all?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
July 01 2012 21:58 GMT
#3360
On July 02 2012 06:46 EdenPLusDucky wrote:
Does intel quicksync help with streaming at all?


Better to ask the developer of your specific software.
Prev 1 166 167 168 169 170 653 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 57
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 1091
Larva 421
Stork 325
ggaemo 300
Leta 196
PianO 142
Hyuk 30
ZergMaN 25
Bale 24
Killer 18
[ Show more ]
yabsab 17
League of Legends
JimRising 409
Reynor68
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King193
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor865
Other Games
summit1g9932
C9.Mang0259
Sick186
ArmadaUGS56
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick568
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream179
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2347
League of Legends
• Stunt532
• Jankos406
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
1h 51m
Online Event
2h 51m
FEL
7h 51m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 51m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 51m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.