• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:06
CEST 15:06
KST 22:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7384 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1508

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 13:57:29
May 30 2013 13:52 GMT
#30141
This RAM is cheaper and faster: http://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/info/p794504_8GB-Crucial-Ballistix-Sport-DDR3-1600-DIMM-CL9-Dual-Kit.html

The Extreme4 is not good for its price. The most worrying reports I've seen is the board being thin and flexing enough to cause problems mounting the CPU cooler. For that price, I'd choose the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H. I feel I don't know enough about that 96 € Asus board, but it might be a good choice.

The GPU is definitely overkill for SC2. You can go down to 650 Ti for SC2. The 650 Ti will struggle with antialiasing at 1920x1080, I think (the AA you force on from outside the game, not the AA option that's inside SC2). No idea about Skyrim.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
May 30 2013 14:13 GMT
#30142
okay, gonna go for the gigabyte motherboard and change the ram, thanks. ve to think bout the gpu
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
May 30 2013 14:13 GMT
#30143
7870 is a better deal since its pretty much equivalent to the 660Ti, which is overpriced.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 14:15:17
May 30 2013 14:13 GMT
#30144
I'd take the d3h too if you're targetting a high OC (macho can take ~1.35v approx max without delid, 1.45 with - but if you cant build a pc, i seriously doubt you are looking to delid)

If no high OC, can cheap out on the board and get a 212+

Actually, on second thought, seriously, macho for 36 euro, hard to say no to that regardless of how high you want to push OC.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 30 2013 14:20 GMT
#30145
That particular choice of cooler is also very good because of its large and slow fan, fitting very well into this PC that's intended to be quiet.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
ultrakiss
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
97 Posts
May 30 2013 15:45 GMT
#30146
Hi Ive been playing Starcraft for the past couple years on my laptop, but I've been suffering FPS drops and overheating problems pretty much the whole time. Im pretty fed up with the situation, and am looking for a new rig. I am interested in building, but Im totally clueless when it comes to this stuff haha.

When I first started looking into building, I was pretty intimidated. I looked up some pre-built systems and the ibuypower revolt caught my eye just because mlg used it, and it looks easy to transport/sturdy. If the price between what I would be building and the revolt are similar I might just end up buying the revolt (unless someone has a better suggestion). I have some questions about this option too, but I will wait until somebody assesses my post to ask.

What is your budget?

Im hoping to spend around 500, but can go up to 900.

What is your resolution?

1900x1080? Thats what Im using now, but I will be most likely be needing a new monitor. Not exactly sure about this one haha. Im not including the monitor in the budget because I can wait on that.

What are you using it for?

Pretty much just starcraft. I want to play it on max settings without FPS drops. Possibly streaming, and also watching streams. I also want to have a dual monitor set up, but I don't know if that will really affect anything since I've never done it. I would also like the tower to be sturdy and portable so I could take it places fairly easily. I was interested in FSS towers(like the revolt's), but I heard they are harder to build with.

What is your upgrade cycle?

Probably 2-2+ years. Im not really interested in any other games besides Sc2, so I don't think ill need to upgrade often if Im getting the performance I want. I would definitely like the option to upgrade though. I would have never bought my laptop if I had known how many obstacles to upgrading the have :p

When do you plan on building it?

Hopefully throughout this summer. If I build I will be treating it as a hobby so no sense of urgency


Do you plan on overclocking?


I don't think I am. If you think I need to Ill look into it though.

Do you plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?

I don't know anything about this. I just looked it up, but I'm still a little lost.

Where are you buying your parts from?

I looked up the closest microcenter and it's about 2 hours away. I would be willing to make the trip, or just order online.
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
May 30 2013 20:56 GMT
#30147
What's so bad about the Pro 3? I hear that all the time on this forum. The only remotely objective thing I've heard is that it under-reports voltages. All I can say is, the dynamic overclocking in it is better than the dynamic clocking in my D3H (the manual setting on the D3H is good, but I need to use a dynamic one the chip under-volts properly, the dynamic volting makes my peak voltage a bit higher to be stable, moreso that the dynamic volting in the Pro 3). Now, that's anecdotal, I admit. I could well have my story wrong.

In any case, the Pro 3 is by far the cheapest overclocking i5 board, at 75 euro on Mindfactory a lot of the time. That's a heck of a lot cheaper than other options. Like I said, the only serious issue I've heard is the voltage reporting, which I wouldn't consider all that bad considering a board like that wouldn't be de for extreme overclocking (maybe 4.4 ghz?), in which case the alleged under-reporting doesn't seem so bad.

I've said it before about Belial, who throws around the word "terrible" and "shitty" way too easily IMO. I think the same is being done here. I'd like to hear some more opinions in this anyways. Thanks.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 30 2013 21:00 GMT
#30148
Well it was Belial who started the every board is shit and the ud3h is the best trend
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 21:07:13
May 30 2013 21:06 GMT
#30149
Hehe. He does it with other stuff too. He knows I'm not bashing on him. I've said it before. He has been very helpful to me in the past, I just dislike his style of posting sometimes . He called the hyper 212 one of the worst coolers at one point. I told him I was very happy with mine, 4.6 ghz at 1.285v, max 70 while gaming and cost me 22 euro new 2 and a half years ago. Can't ask for more than that really.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 30 2013 21:28 GMT
#30150
If that 100-200 MHz extra overclock (note VRM controller, low phase count, mid-grade components), or a little bit of stiffness, or more accurate voltage readings (though on Pro3 it's not supposed to be that bad), etc. are important to you, then you can spend more and get... something better.

I'm still of the opinion that most users asking questions don't need those kinds of extras. If you want to optimize overclocks or are otherwise an enthusiast or have the money, then sure. Otherwise, it's fine.

The kinda weird thing to me is how he got ~4.6 GHz or whatever on an MSI Z77A-G41, and that obviously is at a disadvantage with the even worse MOSFETs and no heatsink. I guess if you really value that last few hundred MHz at the expense of a whole lot more power consumption, noise, and cooling and board costs, that's your opinion. Or no wait, he considered G41 reasonable because it's "$25" or whatever on some Microcenter bundle sale—but otherwise it's in a similar price as something like Pro3.

As with all advice, you just need to parse and correctly determine the angle that somebody's considering. There's often a lot to be learned, or at least a different perspective to consider.
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 21:33:34
May 30 2013 21:31 GMT
#30151
Yeah, that's a fair opinion. I think, with regard to that board, Belial modded it with custom heatsinks etc . Belial knows what he's talking, but communicates with misleading language sometimes, IMHO. But I don't want to talk about that much, is was just a side point to my standing up for the Pro 3 a bit.
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 30 2013 21:38 GMT
#30152
I actually don't think there's anything bad about the reporting of voltage being off. This simply does not change anything about overclocking in practice. You will decide by looking at CPU temperature at what point to give up. It's impossible to get to very high voltage with normal cooling, so I don't see what could go wrong. What exactly the voltage numbers are does not have to matter to you.

My cheap ASRock throttled my CPU. About 1.2 V was its limit. The board itself was overheating. That's my actual gripe about cheap ASRock. I though I might get problems with it in the summer. As I was desperately browsing around trying to find out what I did wrong, I also stumbled about old discussions with people reporting their ASRock ITX boards would disable Turbo on their CPU sometimes. That was exactly my problem, and ASRock seemed to already have it years ago.

That the board limited itself because of heat made me worry about the future. I chose to overclock a good amount because performance wise I want this CPU+board to stay comparable to current stuff as long as possible. Other boards staying cooler seems better if I want to keep this PC around for 5 years or something.

Like I mentioned, I think I read that the Pro 3 used different chips that won't get as hot as what I've seen personally. ASRock started buying different parts for the later Z77 boards. The Pro 3 might actually be fine and it has a very good price.

About the Extreme 4, there was this review: http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/02/06/asrock_z77_extreme4_lga_1155_motherboard_review/6

There's this photo showing the problems the reviewer had with mounting the cooler. He deduced that this happened because the board is thin and flexes too much. That's why I don't see the point in buying the Extreme 4 as there are alternatives at its high price. It also uses the same suspicious parts for supplying power to the CPU, though it does use more of them meaning the whole voltage regulation area stays cooler and won't be a limitation.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 21:42:11
May 30 2013 21:39 GMT
#30153
Dont measure overclocks by clock speed when talking about the board and heatsink.. vcore matters a lot more

Out of the 8 or so chips i have had decent info on, 6 of them couldn't do 4.6 on 1.3v, one does 4.8 and the other does 5.05.

I'd go so far as to say temps and power draw on 5ghz 1.3v could even be better than 4.6 1.35v, likewise a good 4.5-4.6ghz would be less stressful on the motherboard than an awful 4.2

I actually don't think there's anything bad about the reporting of voltage being off. This simply does not change anything about overclocking in practice


My understanding with most of the asrock z77 boards is as you said, for low end oc, many of the cheaper boards are stuck at lower voltages like 1.2v due to vrm's overheating etc - and at the high end the voltage issues make them a joke because of the extent of the gap in reporting (1.5v set, 1.63v under intelburntest - nobody can say that's not relevant and it definately makes the jump from "reasonably kind of safe" to "destroy cpu very quickly") it's just silly to get a higher end asrock z77 board when there are other options
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
May 30 2013 21:45 GMT
#30154
I wish there were a reliable compendium of 3570k overclocks. I can throw something right back at you and have info on 4 chips at 4.5/4.6ghz all on 1.3v or just below (3 of the chips are those of someone I know). All were cooled sufficiently by a Hyper 212.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 30 2013 21:47 GMT
#30155
Well your idea of sufficiently cooled was >90c peaks on 16c ambients or something like that at 1.285v IIRC :D

It's not something i would do. The macho for example has 0.1v or so on the 212
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 30 2013 21:51 GMT
#30156
What's this i hear about 770 releasing at $399?

Boom.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 22:02:30
May 30 2013 22:01 GMT
#30157
Hahahaha. Like I already explained, 90 degree ceilings in IBT doesn't worry me . 70 max in gaming doesn't stress the fan overly so, and is drowned by my GPU by that stage, so why should I worry I'm being slightly hypocritical right now as I'm in the process of rigging up old gear for sale in order to fund the cost of some better parts - a cooler being one of them HAHA.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 30 2013 22:47 GMT
#30158
Thoughts on these parts? Hoping to buy them tomorrow...

Power Supply Seasonic G 550W (SSR-550M) (It's slightly smaller than the capstone, and still well reviewed while being about the same price. The 450W version wasn't any less expensive).

GPU: Open XFX 7850 or Blower XFX 7850 or is there a better option out right now for only playing SC2? I don't think there are any GPU sales out right now except for NCIX's on that one for this price range.

Case: Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E (Off Amazon because of Prime)

HDD: WD 500GB 7200RPM

The cheapest ODD out there right now?

I have 8GB of Ram and a Samsung 840 already. Motherboard and CPU will be next week, any thoughts on this?
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
May 30 2013 22:54 GMT
#30159
Anyone know a lot about pricing trends? Apparently the 3770k is available for $229 at micro center so I could go pick one up. From my very limited knowledge, that seems like a great deal. However I feel like the imminent Haswell introduction could cause prices to go down across the board for the current line of CPUs. Can anyone provide some guidance here?
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 30 2013 23:00 GMT
#30160
On May 31 2013 07:54 Antoine wrote:
Anyone know a lot about pricing trends? Apparently the 3770k is available for $229 at micro center so I could go pick one up. From my very limited knowledge, that seems like a great deal. However I feel like the imminent Haswell introduction could cause prices to go down across the board for the current line of CPUs. Can anyone provide some guidance here?


Microcenter always sells processors at below MSRP.

Intel doesn't lower their pricing on processors that go end of life.
Prev 1 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 230
TKL 198
CranKy Ducklings80
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Reynor vs herOLIVE!
RotterdaM1151
IndyStarCraft 199
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1151
Lowko452
IndyStarCraft 199
TKL 198
Rex 100
ProTech41
MindelVK 18
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 61586
Free 2711
Jaedong 2223
BeSt 719
Horang2 323
firebathero 211
Zeus 185
Hyun 111
Last 109
Pusan 73
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 59
soO 26
Aegong 22
scan(afreeca) 19
Noble 14
910 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
zelot 9
Rock 4
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc6230
Dendi888
XaKoH 391
canceldota63
Other Games
gofns38392
singsing2406
B2W.Neo553
byalli383
Pyrionflax305
ToD203
DeMusliM123
QueenE62
Liquid`VortiX57
Beastyqt14
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 26
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP22
• Gemini_19 11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1796
• WagamamaTV501
League of Legends
• Jankos3347
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
3h 54m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5h 54m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 54m
Patches Events
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 5h
OSC
1d 22h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.