• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:24
CEST 14:24
KST 21:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9097 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1507

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-29 22:18:18
May 29 2013 22:07 GMT
#30121
What is my budget?
Somewhere around 1000$ USD, flexible, but I don't want performance I don't need.

What is my resolution?
1920x1080

What will I be using it for?
Starcraft 2 almost exclusively, if I play anything else it will be Dota 2 or maybe LoL for the lolz.

What is my upgrade cycle?
4 years hopefully, as long as I can eke performance out of it.

When do I plan on building it?
Anything that's on sale now. My paycheck comes on Friday as well.

Do I plan on overclocking?
Yes

Do I need an Operating System?
No

Do I plan to add a second GPU for SLI or Crossfire?
No

Where will I be purchasing my parts from?

Wherever

So it's time for me to do an entirely new build, I'm selling my old budget one to a family friend and hoping to get more performance out of this one. I currently have:

120GB Samsung 840
8GB Kingston HyperX black 1600 RAM as both of them came on good deals.

I think I want to build in a Silverstone Temjin TJ08-E, because I need a smaller build. I'll post again next week, but is there anything out right now on sale that I can buy? I need a good quality PSU especially - I don't believe a Rosewill Capstone (170mm) fits in the Temjin (160mm max). All other help is certainly appreciated as well, I'm not very good at the deal finding part.

Edit: I'll be streaming as well.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 29 2013 22:11 GMT
#30122
Longer power supplies fit but cause issues with long optical drives. Will you be using an internal optical drive?

~170 mm is borderline okay. It's mostly the modular ones with connectors sticking out farther that are of issue. Double-check clearance.

Were you not waiting on Haswell?
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-29 22:17:36
May 29 2013 22:16 GMT
#30123
On May 30 2013 07:11 Myrmidon wrote:
Longer power supplies fit but cause issues with long optical drives. Will you be using an internal optical drive?

~170 mm is borderline okay. It's mostly the modular ones with connectors sticking out farther that are of issue. Double-check clearance.

Were you not waiting on Haswell?


I will be waiting on Haswell, but since things like cases (and basically) power supplies etc. aren't exactly ivy bridge/haswell dependent, I figured I could start buying this week if there is anything worth buying now. If there isn't, I can always repost next week or whenever it's a good idea to buy a Haswell PC.

Edit: I was planning/hoping to use an optical drive.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-29 22:40:20
May 29 2013 22:39 GMT
#30124
On more than one occasion I've taken far too long to realize the reason my card wouldn't come out was because the third panel was pressing down on the smallest of edges (the part where the thumb screws go in).

I've also more than once left a monitor plugged in and been baffled as to why the card was stuck on something.
twitch.tv/cratonz
nosliw
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States2716 Posts
May 29 2013 23:49 GMT
#30125
I thought Haswell chips will be soldered on the board. i.e. not swap-able. Was this information incorrect?
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 29 2013 23:56 GMT
#30126
This is incorrect. It's only for the mobile parts in notebooks. There's some news or rumors about future generations expanding that to desktop CPUs.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 30 2013 01:14 GMT
#30127
On May 30 2013 08:56 Ropid wrote:
This is incorrect. It's only for the mobile parts in notebooks. There's some news or rumors about future generations expanding that to desktop CPUs.


I think that OEMs will also be receiving soldered on desktop parts for the Iris graphics, but those won't be showing up in consumer retail space anyways.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 03:45:44
May 30 2013 03:43 GMT
#30128
Many notebooks for a long time have had BGA CPU versions that are soldered on the motherboards. Sometimes even in relatively large notebooks, GPUs are soldered on too; for smaller ones, RAM and other components may be too. That said, socketed CPUs on the non-really-thin notebooks are common.

Non-socketed CPUs have existed on the desktop for a while, common for low-power, cheap stuff like Atom or Brazos (in the nearish future, Kabini). You can buy combo motherboard/CPU (/GPU) setups. Though maybe they're mostly sold to system integrators, for kiosks, industrial, etc. settings.

Haswell will have the usual socketed desktop offerings, the usual socketed laptop offerings, and the usual non-socketed soldered-on options for the higher-wattage laptop chips and no option (non-socket only) for the lower-power stuff

The difference is offering a few -R suffix desktop processors that are non-socketed only, in BGA. Those are the ones with the embedded DRAM cache and beefier iGPU config. I wonder if boards / CPUs with the R processors will be available for consumers to buy, like those Atom combos. Wouldn't the cooling need to be attached? Now, cooling would be more awkward here as we're talking 65 W TDP on those, much higher than Atom. Actually, it seems like the laptops with the highest-end iGPU config with the eDRAM will be BGA as well, not socketed. There's probably a technical reason for that.

Earlier there were rumors of typical socketed processors going away, but it's not happening, at least for the near future.
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
May 30 2013 08:32 GMT
#30129
Anyone actually have luck replacing the Twin Frozr 560Ti with a aftermarket cooler? Its almost impossible with the non-reference PCB, thinking about giving up at this point.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
May 30 2013 11:35 GMT
#30130
kind of a snap decision cuz my pc just broke this morning

anything that sucks in this build or is it good to go

needed for sc2, skyrim. 1080p, streaming

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/b13a28220876e31c55bcc98160929f4c35363b8d8a47a2781a8
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 11:54:33
May 30 2013 11:53 GMT
#30131
pro3 is one of the shittiest boards you can get, if you're shooting for low overclock just get a 212+ or something

The PSU price jumps out to me a bit, doesn't make sense to spend that much (even if it's a high quality model) unless you're looking for all high end components (in which case you probably wouldn't have a pro3)

I also dont know what you're spending 100 euro on at the bottom.

Haswell releases in 3 and a half days

With this kind of budget, it looks to me like you'd want a decent board, and to target a higher OC

So basically;

Pro3 +hr-02macho, pro3, pro3, (psu??) and Haswell. Also, there's probably stuff you could salvage from your current PC.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
May 30 2013 12:08 GMT
#30132
last part is that they build it for me, i got no time to relearn to build a pc (sounds stupid i know) :D

as i said, snap decision, got no working pc now, dont wanna wait for haswell, i need a pc "now" lol

any suggestion for a psu (have no clue i just want it to be modular and quite. any suggestion for motherboard?, so lets just say i ve a budget of 900€, what would u build if u r not waiting for haswell.

(personally i think that the haswell release is gonna be like the i5 etc release where u ve some problems with bad motherboards / etc and everyone said to wait for them to fix it plus motherboards for the new socket should be expensive in the beginning,no?)
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 30 2013 12:16 GMT
#30133
Depends what you're trying to do
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
May 30 2013 12:18 GMT
#30134
as said above, skyrim sc2 (other games but no bf3 etc - i dont play shooter) streaming, resolution is 1920x1080, a quite pc is important for me plus a psu which doesnt kill my whole pc like the one i had now...)
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 12:26:38
May 30 2013 12:23 GMT
#30135
Do they actually build the PC for you with that massive cooler? It's weighing about 1 kg and they could be afraid that it will rip off when shipping the PC to you.

Also, I think in another place (hardwareversand.de?), I saw that 100 € service split into smaller parts. This meant you could simply let them build the PC for you for 40 € or something without that 24 hour testing or whatever's done to justify the full 100 €.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
May 30 2013 12:28 GMT
#30136
bad experience with hardwareversand so no i prefer mindfactory and nowadays its not a problem with cpu cooler.
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 30 2013 12:34 GMT
#30137
Update on my build at the top: id like to buy everything I can this weekend, and buy haswell on sunday/monday when it comes out. I am going to try and meet up with a friend of mine I haven't seen in a while on Friday and build with him.

For a CPU cooler I was thinking the NH-U12S. And I probably don't need more power than a 7850 - I was thinking about a 660 earlier but probably don't need it. Does anybody know if a blower or open air GPU would be better for the Temjin?
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 30 2013 13:09 GMT
#30138
@{ToT}ColmA:

I'm pretty sure there was something off with the Pro4, curiously increased temperatures for the board itself when overclocking towards the typical limit you will have with an air cooler. I think the Pro3 did not have the same problem as bad. It used similar overall design, but different parts that didn't get as hot.

That said, looking through the list of Z77 boards sorted by price, I don't know what else to suggest. The first one's that might be better is that Asus that shows up around 100 € so maybe look at that. All the Gigabyte boards you should avoid until the 114 € Z77X-D3H which has very good hardware but is overkill because of that. Compared to Gigabyte, the ASRock and Asus boards might also have better BIOS options for controlling the fans and reigning in their speed for a quiet PC, though you'll perhaps want to use SpeedFan from inside Windows anyways.

Did you try to search for some kind of discussions about graphics cards and quiet PCs and seen people suggest the graphics card you chose? You should definitely try to google for opinions about that. The graphics card can be very annoying as all the cards try to limit themselves in size and don't use massive slow fans.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
May 30 2013 13:22 GMT
#30139
Nvm if anyone actually cares. Managed to get my Gelid Icy Vision on my Twin Frozr and attached some thermal strips to compensate for the smaller base size. So close to giving up...
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
{ToT}ColmA
Profile Joined November 2007
Japan3260 Posts
May 30 2013 13:29 GMT
#30140
https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/230a8e220e7672af540bb57d4c68bca80503082a9686f0031fb

tweaked a bit, other psu and motherboard (still shitty or better?) btw cuz i only play games like skyrim / sc2 is that gpu overkill and i could just go with like say a 660?
The only virgins in kpop left are the fans
Prev 1 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 181
TKL 139
CranKy Ducklings53
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinELIVE!
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM881
IndyStarCraft 151
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 881
Lowko440
mouzHeroMarine 272
IndyStarCraft 151
TKL 139
Rex 63
MindelVK 19
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 53003
Free 3603
Jaedong 1612
BeSt 670
Soulkey 419
Horang2 384
Soma 302
Hyun 219
Zeus 199
Last 151
[ Show more ]
sorry 128
firebathero 120
Mind 100
Pusan 91
Shinee 51
Yoon 32
soO 28
ToSsGirL 24
Aegong 20
scan(afreeca) 17
yabsab 15
Sacsri 10
zelot 10
Dota 2
Gorgc6333
Dendi655
XaKoH 387
canceldota41
Other Games
gofns31944
singsing2168
Coldzera 689
B2W.Neo489
byalli423
Pyrionflax287
ToD177
QueenE35
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV241
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP23
• StrangeGG 19
• Adnapsc2 12
• Gemini_19 10
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 1209
• WagamamaTV432
League of Legends
• Jankos3451
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
4h 37m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 37m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 37m
Patches Events
1d 2h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
OSC
1d 23h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.