• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:34
CEST 10:34
KST 17:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9777 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1509

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 23:09:58
May 30 2013 23:07 GMT
#30161
On May 31 2013 07:01 Gumbi wrote:
Hahahaha. Like I already explained, 90 degree ceilings in IBT doesn't worry me . 70 max in gaming doesn't stress the fan overly so, and is drowned by my GPU by that stage, so why should I worry I'm being slightly hypocritical right now as I'm in the process of rigging up old gear for sale in order to fund the cost of some better parts - a cooler being one of them HAHA.



I just mean, by a lot of "elite" peoples standards, it's a bad overclock, too hot, whatever. You're pushing things to edge of limit on the understanding that you won't be fully loading the CPU, pretty much. If you state by gaming temps, nhd14 can do 1.5v undelidded, but it's extremely silly to do so, really for an extended tested OC on ivy, i would be uncomfortable with temp absolute maxes (in 24 hour+ tests) higher than ~86-88c or so. Maybe 90 if it was just an absolute max. To achieve this at the highest non-dangerous voltages for reasonable use, you need both a delid (close to 25c temp drop if you do it right) and (depending how far you are pushing voltages) something like a macho or an nhd14/h100i or better. 10 runs IBT and get 90 and then shrug it off for gaming (you'd be suprised how many people do this) is a no for me, and people over/understate coolers potentials or test badly all of the time; I think it's pretty accurate to say the macho has ~0.1v on the 212, temperature wise
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 23:20:26
May 30 2013 23:18 GMT
#30162
On May 31 2013 07:47 Alryk wrote:
GPU: Open XFX 7850 or Blower XFX 7850 or is there a better option out right now for only playing SC2? I don't think there are any GPU sales out right now except for NCIX's on that one for this price range.


Both of those are open heatsinks fyi.

A GTX 650 Ti Boost is $140 right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127731

If you want a blower heatsink, you basically limited to only EVGA and HIS
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 30 2013 23:21 GMT
#30163
On May 31 2013 07:54 Antoine wrote:
However I feel like the imminent Haswell introduction could cause prices to go down across the board for the current line of CPUs.

That's not how it goes anymore. Businesses seem to be very good at not buying more than they can sell nowadays. Intel and NVidia and AMD won't produce more than what will be bought, and they won't go down in price with old stuff. Manufacturing of old stuff stops and the new stuff is intended to replace it.

I assume Haswell CPUs and boards will be a little pricier than current stuff at the start. The old Sandy Bridge parts never really went down in price so perhaps the same will happen to current Ivy Bridge.

The price you mention is something rare, you won't regularly see this and also won't see it buying online. If the 3570k is also reduced in price, I can't really decide. Personally, I'd probably still cheap out and choose 3570k if it's $160 or something.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Gumbi
Profile Joined June 2012
Ireland463 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-30 23:48:38
May 30 2013 23:45 GMT
#30164
On May 31 2013 08:07 Cyro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2013 07:01 Gumbi wrote:
Hahahaha. Like I already explained, 90 degree ceilings in IBT doesn't worry me . 70 max in gaming doesn't stress the fan overly so, and is drowned by my GPU by that stage, so why should I worry I'm being slightly hypocritical right now as I'm in the process of rigging up old gear for sale in order to fund the cost of some better parts - a cooler being one of them HAHA.



I just mean, by a lot of "elite" peoples standards, it's a bad overclock, too hot, whatever. You're pushing things to edge of limit on the understanding that you won't be fully loading the CPU, pretty much. If you state by gaming temps, nhd14 can do 1.5v undelidded, but it's extremely silly to do so, really for an extended tested OC on ivy, i would be uncomfortable with temp absolute maxes (in 24 hour+ tests) higher than ~86-88c or so. Maybe 90 if it was just an absolute max. To achieve this at the highest non-dangerous voltages for reasonable use, you need both a delid (close to 25c temp drop if you do it right) and (depending how far you are pushing voltages) something like a macho or an nhd14/h100i or better. 10 runs IBT and get 90 and then shrug it off for gaming (you'd be suprised how many people do this) is a no for me, and people over/understate coolers potentials or test badly all of the time; I think it's pretty accurate to say the macho has ~0.1v on the 212, temperature wise

I don't disagree with much of what your saying really. I certainly haven't done long stress tests on this. But I am comforted by the fact that lifetime-wise, Ivy Bridges shrug off 1.3v almost like it's nothing. My point of disagreement, would be, what's the difference? I game safely game at 4.6ghz. (Not too loud a fan, perfectly safe temps ~70 max in Crysis 3), So what's the issue?

I am going to upgrade, but my point point is, as above if I can safely game at 4.6ghz with that cooler, what's the problem? That's all I need and I get exactly that.
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
May 30 2013 23:48 GMT
#30165
On May 31 2013 08:00 skyR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2013 07:54 Antoine wrote:
Anyone know a lot about pricing trends? Apparently the 3770k is available for $229 at micro center so I could go pick one up. From my very limited knowledge, that seems like a great deal. However I feel like the imminent Haswell introduction could cause prices to go down across the board for the current line of CPUs. Can anyone provide some guidance here?


Microcenter always sells processors at below MSRP.

Intel doesn't lower their pricing on processors that go end of life.

Thanks all who replied to this. Going to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. I've been looking through http://www.logicalincrements.com/ as a sort of guide, and comparing the microcenter ad to the prices listed there, it looks like the processor is the only one significantly lower - is this what I should expect?
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 31 2013 00:00 GMT
#30166
On May 31 2013 08:48 Antoine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2013 08:00 skyR wrote:
On May 31 2013 07:54 Antoine wrote:
Anyone know a lot about pricing trends? Apparently the 3770k is available for $229 at micro center so I could go pick one up. From my very limited knowledge, that seems like a great deal. However I feel like the imminent Haswell introduction could cause prices to go down across the board for the current line of CPUs. Can anyone provide some guidance here?


Microcenter always sells processors at below MSRP.

Intel doesn't lower their pricing on processors that go end of life.

Thanks all who replied to this. Going to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. I've been looking through http://www.logicalincrements.com/ as a sort of guide, and comparing the microcenter ad to the prices listed there, it looks like the processor is the only one significantly lower - is this what I should expect?


Microcenter generally has low pricing on lots of stuff but also somewhat a limited selection as well.

They also have -$40 discount on select motherboards when purchased in combination with a processor so make sure to ask. I think some of the choices are the Asrock Z77 Extreme3 / 4, ASUS P8Z77V-LK, and Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H.

The pricing on some cases are generally low too.

The Samsung 840 128gb I think is like $80 last time I checked.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-31 00:04:51
May 31 2013 00:04 GMT
#30167
On May 31 2013 08:18 skyR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2013 07:47 Alryk wrote:
GPU: Open XFX 7850 or Blower XFX 7850 or is there a better option out right now for only playing SC2? I don't think there are any GPU sales out right now except for NCIX's on that one for this price range.


Both of those are open heatsinks fyi.

A GTX 650 Ti Boost is $140 right now: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127731

If you want a blower heatsink, you basically limited to only EVGA and HIS


Oh woops. Either way, thanks! I'll probably go with that. Nothing else screams out to you right? I'll come back next week to ask about Haswell, I'm hoping to get <150$ on a motherboard (has to be microatx ofc) What are the good MicroATX models? I assume there will be at least a degree of similarity in the brands across generations (in terms of quality).

(I will have access to a microcenter also, or hopefully a best buy who will price match. They're 2 hours away)
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 31 2013 00:18 GMT
#30168
From the Anandtech roundup a week or two ago, I think they only had like 6 mATX boards detailed and those were the Gryphon, Sniper, Extreme4, whatever the high-end MSI is called, and some Biostar ones.

I wouldn't hold my breath for similarity across generations. P8Z77-V turned out to be more feature rich and expensive than the previous P8Z68-V and ASUS also redid their naming scheme for this generation, removing the series prefix and using A C Plus whatever instead of LK LE whatever suffixes.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 31 2013 00:19 GMT
#30169
Oh gotcha. Alright, well I guess I'll wait and show up next week. I think tomshardware also mentioned having a D3H microatx from gigabyte? Something like that. Hopefully there'll be a decent something that doesn't break the bank.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Daogin
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
Canada2308 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-31 00:30:40
May 31 2013 00:30 GMT
#30170
Sorry if this has been answered or is unknown or whatever, but what's the big deal about the new haswell CPU that is supposed to be coming out? Like why would I want this over some of the older cheaper stuff? (I'm not that smart when it comes to this stuff so sorry if it sounds dumb or whatever)
Leenoctopus <3, master of foreign events.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 31 2013 00:33 GMT
#30171
On May 31 2013 09:30 Daogin wrote:
Sorry if this has been answered or is unknown or whatever, but what's the big deal about the new haswell CPU that is supposed to be coming out? Like why would I want this over some of the older cheaper stuff? (I'm not that smart when it comes to this stuff so sorry if it sounds dumb or whatever)


It's more power efficient, should be at least 5-10% faster per clock than ivy bridge, and rumor has it it either overclocks cooler or just better than ivy bridge. The biggest gains though are in mobile with better integrated graphics and much longer (supposedly) battery life which should really help intel vs ipad and the other things. That's where Haswell will have its biggest effect, but of course things still benefit the desktop market a little bit.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 31 2013 03:37 GMT
#30172
Caviar Blue 1TB for $59: http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=74462&promoid=1322
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 31 2013 09:23 GMT
#30173
Aahhhh you rock, thanks so much! Only caase, GPU, and PSU left (minus haswell stuff). Still need to decide which game bundle I want, AMD has a better one for a 160$ 7850 which seems decently priced xD.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
May 31 2013 15:12 GMT
#30174
If you want AMD than there's the Sapphire 7850 at $155: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202004 and also an MSI 7770 at $100.
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
May 31 2013 17:00 GMT
#30175
On May 31 2013 09:00 skyR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 31 2013 08:48 Antoine wrote:
On May 31 2013 08:00 skyR wrote:
On May 31 2013 07:54 Antoine wrote:
Anyone know a lot about pricing trends? Apparently the 3770k is available for $229 at micro center so I could go pick one up. From my very limited knowledge, that seems like a great deal. However I feel like the imminent Haswell introduction could cause prices to go down across the board for the current line of CPUs. Can anyone provide some guidance here?


Microcenter always sells processors at below MSRP.

Intel doesn't lower their pricing on processors that go end of life.

Thanks all who replied to this. Going to pick it up tomorrow or Saturday. I've been looking through http://www.logicalincrements.com/ as a sort of guide, and comparing the microcenter ad to the prices listed there, it looks like the processor is the only one significantly lower - is this what I should expect?


Microcenter generally has low pricing on lots of stuff but also somewhat a limited selection as well.

They also have -$40 discount on select motherboards when purchased in combination with a processor so make sure to ask. I think some of the choices are the Asrock Z77 Extreme3 / 4, ASUS P8Z77V-LK, and Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H.

The pricing on some cases are generally low too.

The Samsung 840 128gb I think is like $80 last time I checked.

Yeah I saw that discount, it would make the 3570k only $140 if you apply the full -40 discount to it. However newegg has a deal for free 8gb ram with certain motherboards so I think that's a better deal. Thanks for the heads up on the case, probably going to pick up the Corsair Vengeance since they have a nice sale on that. The only negative I've found is below, not sure if it would affect me:
+ Show Spoiler +
Cons: There's just enough room to fit a 2x120mm radiator on the bottom, *but*, the holes for the fans are normal fan-hole size (so you need screws with large heads to prevent them from falling out), you also need a power supply that's *just* small enough so your power supply cables can get through (I'm using a Corsair HX850 and my modular cable ends are right up against the radiator). You also have to remove a drive cage to do it. Mounting a radiator on top is possible if you use 25mm thick fans, 38mm are too thick and my radiator (XSPC RS240) hits the motherboard.


How does WD compare to seagate? I'm looking at that caviar blue you linked vs a comparable barracuda: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST1000DM003/dp/B005T3GRNW/ which is $9 more.
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 31 2013 17:13 GMT
#30176
The critique you quoted seems to be about a radiator like for those closed loop coolers. I don't quite understand what's up in that situation with the radiator, but for a simple fan, you should mount it with those silicon or rubber nipple thingies instead of screws and you won't care anything about hole size.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Antoine
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States7481 Posts
May 31 2013 17:18 GMT
#30177
alright, i'm not planning to do anything too fancy with cooling. thanks for the clarification.
ModeratorFlash Sea Action Snow Midas | TheStC Ret Tyler MC | RIP 우정호
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 31 2013 17:42 GMT
#30178
Nah, RS240 is a common custom water radiator, I think, not closed loop. Anyway, it's just a comment about physical clearance of components that aren't relevant for you (us here discussing this).

As for WD Caviar Blue vs. Seagate Barracuda, it's kind a wash. Some people prefer one brand over the other. Actually, more people probably prefer WD, though maybe not for any valid reason. Some years back, a rev. of Barracudas had a firmware issue.

Both models are actually relatively new and are single-platter variants. So less power, better performance. Then again, we're talking hard drives; differences in performance are minor at best unless you have some specific need.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
May 31 2013 18:09 GMT
#30179
Yeah, it's not closed loop.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 31 2013 19:17 GMT
#30180
btw, why in the world is it called closed loop? You need a closed loop for custom-built modular systems too. Otherwise, you don't get fluid flowing anywhere useful. I'm perpetuating the terminology too, but just saying...

The distinction seems to mainly be sealed (can't change coolant or modify connections) vs. not sealed.
Prev 1 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1003
Soulkey 254
Soma 213
Larva 141
Mind 70
ZerO 43
soO 27
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
scan(afreeca) 13
League of Legends
JimRising 600
Counter-Strike
edward364
Other Games
summit1g8473
singsing1119
Coldzera 682
WinterStarcraft681
Sick226
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick724
BasetradeTV220
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 16
• LUISG 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2235
League of Legends
• Jankos1790
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
1h 26m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
3h 26m
AI Arena Tournament
8h 26m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
10h 26m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 1h
Patches Events
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.