• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:41
CEST 02:41
KST 09:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8494 users

Computer Build Resource Thread - Page 1506

Forum Index > Tech Support
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1626 Next
When using this resource, please read FragKrag's opening post. The Tech Support forum regulars have helped create countless of desktop systems without any compensation. The least you can do is provide all of the information required for them to help you properly.
skyR
Profile Joined July 2009
Canada13817 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-28 04:34:57
May 28 2013 04:34 GMT
#30101
On May 28 2013 13:14 ZeromuS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 28 2013 13:11 skyR wrote:
It's simple. If your main game is Starcraft II then your focus should be on everything else but the GPU since the GPU is one of the easiest components to upgrade. A GTX 650 Ti or 7790 can still play most games on reasonably high settings at 1600x900 and even at 1080p.

I'm not sure if Havik_ read the posts thoroughly but it looks like he didn't since I did list options so there was no reason why an AMD FX should have been suggested. If one is so hell bent on getting a $300+ GPU for "gaming" then the SSD could easily be dropped and the $180 used towards the GPU. And $800 is hardly low budget when an OS is not required.


I guess you got a point at the 800 thing, I just always see super computers being built all over the place at way over 800 and im lucky enough to have the OS from when windows 7 first came out. I guess i've been tied to a laptop for so long my idea of budget for a computer has become warped


Most gamers spending amounts way over $800 are either enthusiasts, brand loyalists, or simply idiots.

Once you get started, it'll get a lot easier in the future. Components like the case, power supply, and drives can be carried forward onto numerous builds. You'll have a lot more money to spend on the CPU and GPU if you decide to carry forward components.
Azera
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
3800 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-28 11:34:19
May 28 2013 11:27 GMT
#30102
Hey all!

I'm planning to build a computer for the first time with the help of some friends who have some experience in building one. I think it'll be a fun experience for all of us. Anyway, my budget is around $1000USD. The budget will be for monitors and shipping. I don't know if newegg ships to Singapore, so if you guys can recommend me a good shipping site or tell me if Amazon is reliable with these things, that'll be good.

I just want to listen to music, playing StarCraft 2 on High~Ultra settings with a good FPS, and stream at a high audio and visual quality the same time. Is my budget enough?

Thanks!

Edit: If you guys can set me up with a rig that can cost less while still meeting my needs, that would be awesome.

More info:
- I'll probably get a monitor with a 1980x1200 resolution
- I have a pretty long upgrade cycle (I understand "upgrade cycle" as how often I'll upgrade my parts) of about 3~4 years
- I plan to build it sometime later this year, during Novermber I think. My friends and I are just scouting around and nerding over computer parts now.
- I don't plan to overclock anything since I don't think I'll have any use for it and I'm not really interested in overclocking.
- I need an OS, so there goes about a hundred dollars out of my budget.
Check out some great music made by TLers - http://bit.ly/QXYhdb , by intrigue. http://bit.ly/RTjpOR , by ohsea.toc.
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 28 2013 12:43 GMT
#30103
Come back in November. The computer market will have changed quite a bit by then. Haswell is out in a week along with a ton of new motherboards. New cases could be out. The GPU market will have changed slightly, with. AMD and Nvidia launching their next series (which aren't actually new GPUs but should at least maybe bring different game bundles or slightly better prices)

also, there are sales every week that make it hard to say what parts to buy.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 28 2013 23:14 GMT
#30104
There was rumor of AMD launching their next gen GPU line this year even if the 700 series from nvidia was just a kepler refresh + gk110 for cheap (780)
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 29 2013 03:34 GMT
#30105
Well, it couldn't be anything too exciting. They should be going with GCN derivatives for a while, and it's not like they can move past 28 nm this year. HD 7970 was supposed to stick around as top single GPU; anything else should just slot in underneath. Or was I thinking of 2012?

Really, it and Kepler refresh would help some, maybe bring a couple small features to the product stacks like more advanced adaptive clock speeds and power management, but that's not too much a reason to buy it over something currently on the market unless the price is right. Some price cutting could happen with or without new SKUs.

It's more that price/performance could improve a bit due to price drops over time than anything more significant brought to the table.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-29 04:22:27
May 29 2013 04:12 GMT
#30106
http://www.overclock.net/t/1395229/chiphel-new-specs-of-radeon-hd8000-leaked

The OP got updated though since i read it
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Havik_
Profile Joined November 2011
United States5585 Posts
May 29 2013 04:19 GMT
#30107
I'd like AMD to improve their drivers and answer the features that Nvidia has brought to the table with their cards recently. Adaptive Vsync, monitor overclocking, and Shadowplay would be great features to see on AMD cards along with improving micro-stutter.
"An opinion is only as good as the evidence that backs it up."- William O'Malley, S.J.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 29 2013 04:26 GMT
#30108
I think the frametime consistency issues are only a big problem with crossfire; they have a beta driver massively massively improving things releasing in a month or two. Matching shadowplay would take a bit of work i think, Nvidia added the h264 encoders into most of the 600 series gpu's etc and designed them to work for project shield; i think shadowplay was just an afterthought

AMD looks to be in a rough spot for a month or two at high end for me because it doesn't make sense to use one of their solutions past $400 or so - gtx780 destroys single card (beating stock cooled titan in many cases at ~$650) and SLI just runs so much better than crossfire at least until they get their new driver out with frame pacing rewritten from the ground up.
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
May 29 2013 04:48 GMT
#30109
Must've been thinking of 2012 with respect to 7970 being on top. Or they changed their minds after some point after figuring that GK110 was going to the consumer market, or previous rumors were just wrong.

Anyway, refresh with larger chips makes sense, since yields and availability are a lot better now.
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 29 2013 05:05 GMT
#30110
They said no GPU's in 2013 at one point, i think
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
May 29 2013 05:38 GMT
#30111
Think they said no new gen of GPUs, not no new ones at all.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Hrrrrm
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2081 Posts
May 29 2013 06:30 GMT
#30112
Always been a big fan of this thread and wondered when my day to get some help would be and today is that day! Didn't want to start a new thread since I thought this would be easily answered here.

I recently purchased a Dell XPS420 system from a friend for $50. System works perfectly well, it has a Q6600 cpu and 3GB(2x1GB and 2x512MB) DDR2-667 of ram. I want to install FreeNAS on this thing and read that I should get minimum of 8GB for it to run without a hitch. According to Dell's site max supported on the board is 8GB at 800mhz. The motherboard model is 0TP406. Would 2 x 4GB offer the best performance? I was hoping to spend between $50-100 on the memory and hoped you guys could point me in the right direction to get the most bang for the buck.

I'm in the US and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
alot = a lot (TWO WORDS)
Rannasha
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2398 Posts
May 29 2013 06:43 GMT
#30113
On May 29 2013 15:30 Hrrrrm wrote:
Always been a big fan of this thread and wondered when my day to get some help would be and today is that day! Didn't want to start a new thread since I thought this would be easily answered here.

I recently purchased a Dell XPS420 system from a friend for $50. System works perfectly well, it has a Q6600 cpu and 3GB(2x1GB and 2x512MB) DDR2-667 of ram. I want to install FreeNAS on this thing and read that I should get minimum of 8GB for it to run without a hitch. According to Dell's site max supported on the board is 8GB at 800mhz. The motherboard model is 0TP406. Would 2 x 4GB offer the best performance? I was hoping to spend between $50-100 on the memory and hoped you guys could point me in the right direction to get the most bang for the buck.

I'm in the US and any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.


You'll want to pair memory up, so 2x4 is good, but you can also add 2x2 to the existing setup (maybe replace the 2x512mb if you need space).

Honestly though, you don't need 8 GB. The recommendation comes from the fact that ZFS likes large amounts of RAM for performance reasons. But if you're not looking at top performance, smaller amounts work fine too. I run 4x2TB of ZFS storage (raid-Z1 setup) with 4 GB just fine. Works perfect for NAS-like applications.

So just try with what you got. Upgrade if needed, but I doubt it will be.
Such flammable little insects!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-29 07:13:32
May 29 2013 07:10 GMT
#30114
http://www.overclock.net/t/1395513/tpu-geforce-gtx-770-specifications-leaked-could-surprise-with-pricing

Interesting
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
KapsyL
Profile Joined November 2011
Sweden704 Posts
May 29 2013 14:13 GMT
#30115
So yeah.. After all the help a few pages back, ive decided to wait for haswell. thanks and see you guys soon again because i will surely need your help with those aswell :D
Jurg Jurg Jurg
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 29 2013 17:40 GMT
#30116
On May 29 2013 16:10 Cyro wrote:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1395513/tpu-geforce-gtx-770-specifications-leaked-could-surprise-with-pricing

Interesting


Who on earth has the money to buy a 680 and then a 770 a year later? That's so insanely unnecessary lol. (like third forum post)
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
May 29 2013 17:43 GMT
#30117
people on OCN
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
Alryk
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States2718 Posts
May 29 2013 17:45 GMT
#30118
I guess I should have expected that answer haha but still. I wish I had that much money to blow unnecessarily on components every year.
Team Liquid, IM, ViOlet!
Ropid
Profile Joined March 2009
Germany3557 Posts
May 29 2013 17:51 GMT
#30119
That guy will surely get a good price selling his old GTX 680, so it's maybe not quite as wasteful as one might think.
"My goal is to replace my soul with coffee and become immortal."
Myles
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5162 Posts
May 29 2013 20:33 GMT
#30120
Success! I'm now using my new HD7750 with the hardest part of installation being the card not fitting because I forgot to remove the adjacent screen panel lol. Thanks to everyone for the guidance!
Moderator
Prev 1 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1626 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 95
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 464
Bale 32
League of Legends
Doublelift4360
Other Games
summit1g9426
JimRising 517
ViBE245
Livibee192
KnowMe165
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick671
BasetradeTV195
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 123
• Adnapsc2 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1279
• Shiphtur569
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 19m
Patches Events
14h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 19m
OSC
22h 19m
OSC
1d 11h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.