• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:35
CEST 16:35
KST 23:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon104
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5993 users

#1: Maru - Greatest Players of All Time - Page 13

Forum Index > SC2 General
1727 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 87 Next
muppet70
Profile Joined January 2017
Sweden72 Posts
March 17 2024 23:52 GMT
#241
14-4
Telephone
Profile Joined October 2010
United States149 Posts
March 18 2024 02:58 GMT
#242
On March 17 2024 15:36 Delish wrote:
serral > maru

rogue > maru

maru can lose oliveria in IEM katowice final

maru sucks


You're talking about a tournament where Serral was eliminated in the quarterfinals, and Maru got second place. Somehow in your mind this is evidence that "serral > maru".
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27410 Posts
March 18 2024 03:00 GMT
#243
On March 18 2024 02:29 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 02:25 Cyril446 wrote:
I come from KR. You don't know anything about the respect among pro players. And maru cannot be better than serral. Messi didn't participate in Eurocup made him a worse player??? No way.
1.Serral
2.Rogue
3.Maru
4.sos
5.Dark
6.Reynor
7.Innovation
8.Byun
9.Stats
10.Zest




I love this list, fresh take! I love sOs so seeing him valued at #4 is amazing.
And it doesn't seem biased since you ranked Reynor so highly, even above Innovation.

I was always curious about Byun though - I see many people mention him, but in my memory didn't he only win 1 GSL and 1 WCS and then... not much else? I'd probably swap MVP in for Byun, and I'd say that list is quite solid.

I feel Stats getting 2nd places at WCS counts for a lot despite not winning one himself - especially if Serral is the one he lost to. (That's also a reason i often lean towards ranking Stats above Zest on my list, after remembering that him not winning a WC is due to losing to Serral at least one of the times).

It’s got a huge weighting for World Champs

Now it wouldn’t personally be how I’d weight things, but it is at least a consistent standard on first glance! Sheer quality of play, consistency and volume of achievement over time, I rate weekenders pretty high if the field is good, I know some place them way below WCs and GSLs, I wouldn’t stick them on the same tier but not a million miles off.

Byun, not for me. Perhaps it was because I was on hiatus and wasn’t actually there for the fantastic storyline and hype, but he’d be floating around the top 15/20 for me. Only really was winning things in one particular meta, and other players don’t have that strike against them.

Good last post btw! I’d probably place Taeja above Byun certainly, top 4, perhaps even 3 Terran behind Maru, Inno and (possibly, undecided!) Mvp. Zero clue where I’d stick him in a ranking across all races though
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
outscar
Profile Joined September 2014
2832 Posts
March 18 2024 03:12 GMT
#244
I don't even follow SC2 but not having Dark on this list is absolutely illegal and borderline criminal! He's WCS World Champion, WCS Global Finals runner up, 3x GSL champion, SSL and many more can't even count. I can't take this list seriously...
sunbeams are never made like me...
goldensail
Profile Joined May 2022
132 Posts
March 18 2024 04:13 GMT
#245
On March 18 2024 03:38 Balnazza wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 03:16 goldensail wrote:

Yay, another korean who couldn't even bother to speak english enough for an interview won, woohoo...(yes, I will always be salty about that!)


Did the foreign players learn to speak Korean?




I won't have that discussion again, knowing I'm somewhat the only person bothered by it, so I accept that. But I still will say that this is an extremly stupid comment that completly misses the core of the argument.



I'm glad you realize you're the only person bothered by the fact that pro gamers from another country don't speak your favored language.

I'll leave it to the readers to decide which comment is extremely stupid.
Balnazza
Profile Joined January 2018
Germany1363 Posts
March 18 2024 04:49 GMT
#246
On March 18 2024 13:13 goldensail wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 03:38 Balnazza wrote:
On March 18 2024 03:16 goldensail wrote:

Yay, another korean who couldn't even bother to speak english enough for an interview won, woohoo...(yes, I will always be salty about that!)


Did the foreign players learn to speak Korean?




I won't have that discussion again, knowing I'm somewhat the only person bothered by it, so I accept that. But I still will say that this is an extremly stupid comment that completly misses the core of the argument.



I'm glad you realize you're the only person bothered by the fact that pro gamers from another country don't speak your favored language.

I'll leave it to the readers to decide which comment is extremely stupid.


Still not even close to the argument, but sure.
"Wenn die Zauberin runter geht, dann macht sie die Beine breit" - Khaldor, trying to cast WC3 German-only
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27410 Posts
March 18 2024 04:50 GMT
#247
Are progamers atypical in Korea to have so few of their number speak any English (at least confident enough to do so publicly)?

Always something I’d pondered, albeit not anything that annoys or frustrates me at all.

I guess a language barrier and translation you do miss some emotional nuance, but if folks gave better interviews that would help. Not just Koreans mind.

Hey I get they’re pro gamers, not media personalities I’m watching for their playing chops.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-18 05:26:59
March 18 2024 05:26 GMT
#248
On March 18 2024 12:00 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 02:29 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
On March 18 2024 02:25 Cyril446 wrote:
I come from KR. You don't know anything about the respect among pro players. And maru cannot be better than serral. Messi didn't participate in Eurocup made him a worse player??? No way.
1.Serral
2.Rogue
3.Maru
4.sos
5.Dark
6.Reynor
7.Innovation
8.Byun
9.Stats
10.Zest




I love this list, fresh take! I love sOs so seeing him valued at #4 is amazing.
And it doesn't seem biased since you ranked Reynor so highly, even above Innovation.

I was always curious about Byun though - I see many people mention him, but in my memory didn't he only win 1 GSL and 1 WCS and then... not much else? I'd probably swap MVP in for Byun, and I'd say that list is quite solid.

I feel Stats getting 2nd places at WCS counts for a lot despite not winning one himself - especially if Serral is the one he lost to. (That's also a reason i often lean towards ranking Stats above Zest on my list, after remembering that him not winning a WC is due to losing to Serral at least one of the times).

It’s got a huge weighting for World Champs

Now it wouldn’t personally be how I’d weight things, but it is at least a consistent standard on first glance! Sheer quality of play, consistency and volume of achievement over time, I rate weekenders pretty high if the field is good, I know some place them way below WCs and GSLs, I wouldn’t stick them on the same tier but not a million miles off.

Byun, not for me. Perhaps it was because I was on hiatus and wasn’t actually there for the fantastic storyline and hype, but he’d be floating around the top 15/20 for me. Only really was winning things in one particular meta, and other players don’t have that strike against them.

Good last post btw! I’d probably place Taeja above Byun certainly, top 4, perhaps even 3 Terran behind Maru, Inno and (possibly, undecided!) Mvp. Zero clue where I’d stick him in a ranking across all races though


Ooh damn you're right the WCS weighting makes it make so much sense, i can't believe i didn't notice it haha. The 2 money men Rogue and sOs in the top 4 and Reynor close behind them.

Yeah maybe I don't really get the Byun hype either, i feel like winning even just 1 WCS isn't near enough to be top 15, maybe top 20 (there are other world championship winners that no one would even think is close to top 20), and pairing it with 1 single GSL win over 10+ years of competing also doesn't impress me too much. I'd personally put the likes of Nestea and probably Terrans like MMA and Polt above him.

Also thanks haha. I felt i was just saying things many other people were already saying, minus the random shilling for Taeja. I would definitely put Taeja in my top 4 Terrans too, it's close between him and MVP. It's been a long time and i didn't watch HotS as closely as I did WoL, else maybe it'd be much easier to go by feeling. It was kinda crazy to me realizing that players like Innovation and Life would commonly drown in pools at premiere weekender tournaments. That competition seems way harder than modern Code S or a typical modern weekender, as sad as that sounds. So for Taeja to have not drowned and won so many just rose my opinion of him even higher than where my memory put him.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
goldensail
Profile Joined May 2022
132 Posts
March 18 2024 05:27 GMT
#249
On March 18 2024 13:50 WombaT wrote:
Are progamers atypical in Korea to have so few of their number speak any English (at least confident enough to do so publicly)?

Always something I’d pondered, albeit not anything that annoys or frustrates me at all.

I guess a language barrier and translation you do miss some emotional nuance, but if folks gave better interviews that would help. Not just Koreans mind.

Hey I get they’re pro gamers, not media personalities I’m watching for their playing chops.


I've only traveled to Korea but in general most common folks in East Asia (China, Japan, Korea) don't speak much English. The languages are just too different.

For pro gamers who grew up in team houses, they probably didn't spend much attention in English classes so I imagine they're below an already-low-bar average

If you watch Crank's interviews with some of them (there's a recent series where he interviewed Maru, Hero, Dark, and Gumi), their personalities come out a lot more, so the language barrier is very real. Add to that the common challenge of public speaking and it's rare for the Korean pros to vocally impress on stage. But like you said most of us are not there to hear a motivation speech
dedede
Profile Joined March 2024
United States116 Posts
March 18 2024 05:40 GMT
#250
Maru is #1 and apparently some people don't realize how competitive proleague was and how op zerg has been in LOTV. Maru is called the 4th race for reasons.
Terran
Pentarp
Profile Joined August 2015
227 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-18 05:51:17
March 18 2024 05:40 GMT
#251
On March 18 2024 03:41 Nakajin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 03:06 Balnazza wrote:
On March 18 2024 02:22 Nakajin wrote:
On March 18 2024 01:20 Poopi wrote:
On March 18 2024 01:09 Fango wrote:
Oh god. remembering casters calling Serral in the GOAT in 2019 and how forced it was. It was impossible to watch his matches that year because of how biased the casts were. Even when he lost to Stats or soO or Zest or whoever you'd hear nothing about them in the audio feed.

I don't know if they were all told to force the narrative or if foreigners are all just Serral fanatics, but it was damn sure hard to watch

Most foreign casters were probably so tired of having their hopes crushed over and over again (since some casters were ex pro) by KR players, that seeing a foreigner go toe to toe / beat the best KR was a miracle and they became zealots in the Serral church from the get go

On the other hand skill wise Serral was known as a beast even earlier, and he showed the potential to do great things, but if potential alone was sufficient, Creator might have become the best protoss ever, similarly to Maru for Terran, but he didn’t



I think it's fair to say a lot of casters/behind-the-scenes people were thrilled to have Serral as the world champion because he became by far the most popular player with fans. Go talk about random people into gaming about Starcraft 2 outside of the original WOL guys like MC or Idra, Serral will be the only guy they might know. If you get someone very big into other esport Maru might ring a bell, Rogue is just another faceless Korean.

It pains me to say it, but frankly, I don't think we'd still have SC2 esport if it wasn't for Serral (or someone else) beating the Koreans, a lot of people got back into esport to watch him beat the Koreans. Especially when the vast majority of the casters had their livelihood tied to the WCS circuit and the foreign scene, I think it's only natural that they embarked into the foreigner vs Korean narrative and were very glad to see ''their team'' win.

I think it's a shame. there used to be a lot more camaraderie between the Korean and Foreign scenes, foreigners used to go live in the Korean teamhouses, Koreans went across the globe, we had teamhouses/colocation in the US, Germany, Switzerland, etc. Casual fans knew the Koreans, they adopted some as their favorites (Polt, MC, MMA, HerO etc...)

Kespa and the region locked killed it all. By 2018, we were back to being taken aback when Solar could speak decent English. It felt like all the casters were pals with the foreigners and strangers like you and me with the Koreans, meanwhile you had guys Maru showing up to tournaments not knowing who bloody Showtime was.

The online turn brought back a little more interaction between the two solitude, but it will always be one of Starcraft 2 biggest missed opportunity imo.


This quite a bit of offtopic, but I find the topic rather interesting (and failed multiple times to write a post about it myself in the past).

First of all: I 100% agree with the "without Serral (or someone else) there wouldn't be SC2". For one, I am one of those people. When Snute retired in I believe 2017, I basically quit watching SC2. I'm the kind of fan who likes to have emotional stakes (aka. fandom I guess) in the things he watches. But without SKT in Proleague and my favorite player (who was one of the few foreigners who could atleast go toe-to-toe with the non-GSL koreans) it quickly became extremly boring to watch SC2. Yay, another korean who couldn't even bother to speak english enough for an interview won, woohoo...(yes, I will always be salty about that!)
So I didn't fully follow Serrals rise through 2018. Only when I watched BlizzCon and the entire "dude, some foreigner might actually win"-buzz came around I tuned in. Never left since then, it actually became more interesting over time with more and more foreigners breaking into that magical circle.

Another aspect you mention was the former "comradery" between foreigners and koreans. I don't have any insights behind the curtains, so of course this is just a viewers opinion, but personally I wouldn't exactly call it "comradery". It was more like giving out breadcrumbs. "Yes, of course the foreigners are allowed to play, but please don't bother the big kids after Ro32 okay?". I definetly remember discussions that basically went like "why are you even watching WCS Europe? I ONLY watch GSL, y'know, real Starcraft!" Usually the same kind of people who today have an existential crisis every time Serral wipes the floor with koreans...

Anyway, what fascinates me is that this entire concept of "korean elitism" (from non-koreans) is really foreign (no pun intended) for me. I switched to SC2 from Warcraft 3, where there was a clear rivalry between the "foreigners" and the Koreans and later on Chinese. And I just say "foreigners" to stay consistent, we didn't call them that, they were simply "Europeans" and "Americans". Unlike in SC2 of course, it not only was a real rivalry, with top players in both camps, but also a clear cut between the two. International events were rare, so there was a "natural region-lock", enforced by lag and prizepools so low no one would travel the world for that.
Interestingly, when the koreans swapped into the teamleagues, they were usually well-received by the europeans, considering that they played for european teams. But when it came to international tournaments, generally the "foreigners" would stick together and cheer 'against' the koreans. You just wanted Grubby, ToD and co. to win against Moon, Lyn and co.
Guess you can imagine my surprise when I "switched over" to SC2 with the same mindset and not only had to realize quickly that there was no rivalry possible at all, but you also kind of got stamped as a "2nd rate fan" if you didn't watch the korean tournaments and Proleague.

Sorry, long comment and maybe not the most coherent, but basically: When you say the "comradery" got destroyed, I can see your point. But personally, I definetly enjoy the actual "rivalry" between the foreigners and koreans a lot more, it just makes for a better narrative then "the koreans pummel the rest of the world over and over, but they are extremly nice about it!"

(And just for safety: This entire thing is about competitive rivalry and has nothing to do with actualy 'race'...)


Maybe ''comradery'' is not the right word, there was a rivalry between foreigners and Koreans and some very real tension between the interests of both as you said.

But what I meant is that people seemed to know each other, Polt might have been Korean, but he was also ''Captain America'', MC was the star of every stream, joking around with casters and players the way Reynor or Harstem do these days. Jaedong might not have been able to speak three words of English back to back, but you still knew he was Geoff guy all the way.
Overall, it felt like we were moving in a good direction where we could appreciate players as people rather than nationality. Sometimes I'm not sure a lot of people are fans of Maru, herO, Dark, Cure, etc... feels like a lot of people just want Koreans to win (or to lose).

I agree that there were a lot of pompous Korean elitists back in the day.

It's not "pompous elitists" if its true. Korea dominated back in the day. Thus, the players who dominate the Korean scene were the best of the best.

These days, its a much different scene. But we're talking Greatest of ALL TIME. This includes Maru's long and storied string of victories dating back to 2013 when the Korean scene had yet to feel the full brunt of the regional-welfare for Foreign players.

Some people are mad now. IDGAF. It is what it is. In an open, "free-trade", environment, Korea dominated and big bro had to step in to help. I'm not against it. But let's not pretend that Koreans did not kick a ton of ass.

ps. The foreign scene had a TON of respect for players like Huk, and even the Grack, who could go toe to toe with the Koreans (at times).

Also, Happy St. Gracktrick's Day bitches.
Plogamer TL.net RedRocket B.net
Pentarp
Profile Joined August 2015
227 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-18 05:42:56
March 18 2024 05:41 GMT
#252
Plogamer TL.net RedRocket B.net
Pentarp
Profile Joined August 2015
227 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-18 05:42:48
March 18 2024 05:41 GMT
#253
Plogamer TL.net RedRocket B.net
dedede
Profile Joined March 2024
United States116 Posts
March 18 2024 05:48 GMT
#254
On March 18 2024 01:09 Fango wrote:
Oh god. remembering casters calling Serral in the GOAT in 2019 and how forced it was. It was impossible to watch his matches that year because of how biased the casts were. Even when he lost to Stats or soO or Zest or whoever you'd hear nothing about them in the audio feed.

I don't know if they were all told to force the narrative or if foreigners are all just Serral fanatics, but it was damn sure hard to watch


Same here. I find it incredibly annoying as well. It's also funny to see how those pros/casters/fanboys get outraged by this article and call people koreaboos given their own foreigner-biased perspectives.
Terran
goldensail
Profile Joined May 2022
132 Posts
March 18 2024 06:26 GMT
#255
On March 18 2024 14:40 Pentarp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 03:41 Nakajin wrote:
On March 18 2024 03:06 Balnazza wrote:
On March 18 2024 02:22 Nakajin wrote:
On March 18 2024 01:20 Poopi wrote:
On March 18 2024 01:09 Fango wrote:
Oh god. remembering casters calling Serral in the GOAT in 2019 and how forced it was. It was impossible to watch his matches that year because of how biased the casts were. Even when he lost to Stats or soO or Zest or whoever you'd hear nothing about them in the audio feed.

I don't know if they were all told to force the narrative or if foreigners are all just Serral fanatics, but it was damn sure hard to watch

Most foreign casters were probably so tired of having their hopes crushed over and over again (since some casters were ex pro) by KR players, that seeing a foreigner go toe to toe / beat the best KR was a miracle and they became zealots in the Serral church from the get go

On the other hand skill wise Serral was known as a beast even earlier, and he showed the potential to do great things, but if potential alone was sufficient, Creator might have become the best protoss ever, similarly to Maru for Terran, but he didn’t



I think it's fair to say a lot of casters/behind-the-scenes people were thrilled to have Serral as the world champion because he became by far the most popular player with fans. Go talk about random people into gaming about Starcraft 2 outside of the original WOL guys like MC or Idra, Serral will be the only guy they might know. If you get someone very big into other esport Maru might ring a bell, Rogue is just another faceless Korean.

It pains me to say it, but frankly, I don't think we'd still have SC2 esport if it wasn't for Serral (or someone else) beating the Koreans, a lot of people got back into esport to watch him beat the Koreans. Especially when the vast majority of the casters had their livelihood tied to the WCS circuit and the foreign scene, I think it's only natural that they embarked into the foreigner vs Korean narrative and were very glad to see ''their team'' win.

I think it's a shame. there used to be a lot more camaraderie between the Korean and Foreign scenes, foreigners used to go live in the Korean teamhouses, Koreans went across the globe, we had teamhouses/colocation in the US, Germany, Switzerland, etc. Casual fans knew the Koreans, they adopted some as their favorites (Polt, MC, MMA, HerO etc...)

Kespa and the region locked killed it all. By 2018, we were back to being taken aback when Solar could speak decent English. It felt like all the casters were pals with the foreigners and strangers like you and me with the Koreans, meanwhile you had guys Maru showing up to tournaments not knowing who bloody Showtime was.

The online turn brought back a little more interaction between the two solitude, but it will always be one of Starcraft 2 biggest missed opportunity imo.


This quite a bit of offtopic, but I find the topic rather interesting (and failed multiple times to write a post about it myself in the past).

First of all: I 100% agree with the "without Serral (or someone else) there wouldn't be SC2". For one, I am one of those people. When Snute retired in I believe 2017, I basically quit watching SC2. I'm the kind of fan who likes to have emotional stakes (aka. fandom I guess) in the things he watches. But without SKT in Proleague and my favorite player (who was one of the few foreigners who could atleast go toe-to-toe with the non-GSL koreans) it quickly became extremly boring to watch SC2. Yay, another korean who couldn't even bother to speak english enough for an interview won, woohoo...(yes, I will always be salty about that!)
So I didn't fully follow Serrals rise through 2018. Only when I watched BlizzCon and the entire "dude, some foreigner might actually win"-buzz came around I tuned in. Never left since then, it actually became more interesting over time with more and more foreigners breaking into that magical circle.

Another aspect you mention was the former "comradery" between foreigners and koreans. I don't have any insights behind the curtains, so of course this is just a viewers opinion, but personally I wouldn't exactly call it "comradery". It was more like giving out breadcrumbs. "Yes, of course the foreigners are allowed to play, but please don't bother the big kids after Ro32 okay?". I definetly remember discussions that basically went like "why are you even watching WCS Europe? I ONLY watch GSL, y'know, real Starcraft!" Usually the same kind of people who today have an existential crisis every time Serral wipes the floor with koreans...

Anyway, what fascinates me is that this entire concept of "korean elitism" (from non-koreans) is really foreign (no pun intended) for me. I switched to SC2 from Warcraft 3, where there was a clear rivalry between the "foreigners" and the Koreans and later on Chinese. And I just say "foreigners" to stay consistent, we didn't call them that, they were simply "Europeans" and "Americans". Unlike in SC2 of course, it not only was a real rivalry, with top players in both camps, but also a clear cut between the two. International events were rare, so there was a "natural region-lock", enforced by lag and prizepools so low no one would travel the world for that.
Interestingly, when the koreans swapped into the teamleagues, they were usually well-received by the europeans, considering that they played for european teams. But when it came to international tournaments, generally the "foreigners" would stick together and cheer 'against' the koreans. You just wanted Grubby, ToD and co. to win against Moon, Lyn and co.
Guess you can imagine my surprise when I "switched over" to SC2 with the same mindset and not only had to realize quickly that there was no rivalry possible at all, but you also kind of got stamped as a "2nd rate fan" if you didn't watch the korean tournaments and Proleague.

Sorry, long comment and maybe not the most coherent, but basically: When you say the "comradery" got destroyed, I can see your point. But personally, I definetly enjoy the actual "rivalry" between the foreigners and koreans a lot more, it just makes for a better narrative then "the koreans pummel the rest of the world over and over, but they are extremly nice about it!"

(And just for safety: This entire thing is about competitive rivalry and has nothing to do with actualy 'race'...)


Maybe ''comradery'' is not the right word, there was a rivalry between foreigners and Koreans and some very real tension between the interests of both as you said.

But what I meant is that people seemed to know each other, Polt might have been Korean, but he was also ''Captain America'', MC was the star of every stream, joking around with casters and players the way Reynor or Harstem do these days. Jaedong might not have been able to speak three words of English back to back, but you still knew he was Geoff guy all the way.
Overall, it felt like we were moving in a good direction where we could appreciate players as people rather than nationality. Sometimes I'm not sure a lot of people are fans of Maru, herO, Dark, Cure, etc... feels like a lot of people just want Koreans to win (or to lose).

I agree that there were a lot of pompous Korean elitists back in the day.

It's not "pompous elitists" if its true. Korea dominated back in the day. Thus, the players who dominate the Korean scene were the best of the best.

These days, its a much different scene. But we're talking Greatest of ALL TIME. This includes Maru's long and storied string of victories dating back to 2013 when the Korean scene had yet to feel the full brunt of the regional-welfare for Foreign players.

Some people are mad now. IDGAF. It is what it is. In an open, "free-trade", environment, Korea dominated and big bro had to step in to help. I'm not against it. But let's not pretend that Koreans did not kick a ton of ass.

ps. The foreign scene had a TON of respect for players like Huk and even the Grack who could go toe to toe with the Koreans (at times).



Yup.

Newer generations of viewers have a recency bias. If you only watch games from recent years and believe the game is balanced, you can easily get passionate in believing that Serral is the greatest. For those who watched SC2 from the beginning, regardless of your opinion on who the GOAT is, you should at least acknowledge it's a very difficult call. For people like myself who believe the game is Zerg favored, we believe the ranking decision is more than justified.

Of course, naming the GOAT in any sport NEVER results in a consensus, and I imagine Miz prepared himself for the controversy a heavy-weight piece like this is bound to arouse. If you are knowledgeable about the game, ready to do research, can reason well, obviously you're free to present your own alternative theory.

At the end of the day, as a fan I want to watch exciting games by great players on a level playing field that is fair to the participants and entertaining for the audience. Let me witness mesmerizing action that stretches my imagination on what humans can do. Let the players be empowered but not carried by the tools at their disposal. And let the audience retain their own views about who the GOAT is.
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13021 Posts
March 18 2024 06:46 GMT
#256
On March 18 2024 14:40 dedede wrote:
Maru is #1 and apparently some people don't realize how competitive proleague was and how op zerg has been in LOTV. Maru is called the 4th race for reasons.

The funny thing is that foreign biased people on Twitter / Reddit don’t care that Rogue is #3 behind Maru, despite having a better resume depending on how you weight WC win vs 2nd place. They only care that Serral is behind Maru, while Serral wasn’t good enough to play the best players in the world for more than half of the game life

Rogue got « robbed » as much as Serral in terms of WCs wins vs no WCs wins (albeit WESG is the same prizepool as a WC) but it’s a KR player so nobody bat an eye
WriterMaru
Ataraxia80
Profile Joined March 2024
1 Post
Last Edited: 2024-03-18 08:56:40
March 18 2024 08:51 GMT
#257
Very entertaining and we'll written article series, big thank you for Miz!

I'm from Finland, and a huge Serral fanboy ("boy", dammit, I'm 44 yrs old nerdy father) who's been following and playing SC thru it's whole history on and off. Who has zero disagreements with the article series. Just maybe different points of view.

Goat discussions in sports are tricky ones, just based on who weighs more what. Said here probably numerous times already.

Like Miz wrote (and I hope more Serral fans that got probably upset should pay attention to) that Serral is probably, and seen as most of his peers, closest to the most perfect player who's touched the game. I think so also, and ofcourse that's also debatable, different races make things nonlinear to judge and blablabla. Just valuing most the general concensus among those who understand the most of everything involved there.

So just by going with that, head to head results, and most importantly - my own fanbias, of course, Serral is no. 1, easily.

But most importantly, at the same time, I totally understand and zero disagree that Maru is no. 1 here.
Seen thru the achievements and overall way longer history of greatness etc, I think also that he's well deserving no. 1.
A player who's in the pantheon of the very few in the game.
AND whose matches I'm every time most excited to watch!

Thanks to everyone involved still making content like this and keeping the game somewhat alive, that's meaning everyone still playing the game. So thank YOU.

Bunches of love,
Janne
dedede
Profile Joined March 2024
United States116 Posts
March 18 2024 08:52 GMT
#258
On March 18 2024 15:46 Poopi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 18 2024 14:40 dedede wrote:
Maru is #1 and apparently some people don't realize how competitive proleague was and how op zerg has been in LOTV. Maru is called the 4th race for reasons.

The funny thing is that foreign biased people on Twitter / Reddit don’t care that Rogue is #3 behind Maru, despite having a better resume depending on how you weight WC win vs 2nd place. They only care that Serral is behind Maru, while Serral wasn’t good enough to play the best players in the world for more than half of the game life

Rogue got « robbed » as much as Serral in terms of WCs wins vs no WCs wins (albeit WESG is the same prizepool as a WC) but it’s a KR player so nobody bat an eye


Exactly. If serral were korean, he would never receive as much hype from casters and fanboys. The fact that many foreign biased casters called serral goat in 2019 will never not annoy me, especially considering that zerg has been op since 2017.

I can be "ok" with some fanboys being biased, but casters/commentators being biased is just a blatant lack of professionalism.
Terran
jack_less
Profile Joined May 2022
79 Posts
March 18 2024 09:38 GMT
#259
On March 18 2024 14:40 dedede wrote:
Maru is called the 4th race for reasons.

sounds like "hype from casters and fanboys" too?

and the pseudo argument "zerg is op since 2017" is not really true. just look at GSL 2016 until now Zerg was never overrepresentative. on the contrary, there are quarterfinals without zergs. Compared to Terran.
Zergs were overrepresentative in WCS, funnily enough neeb (toss) dominated here until serral took over in 2018.
SHODAN
Profile Joined November 2011
United Kingdom1162 Posts
March 18 2024 10:02 GMT
#260
hahahaha

nice list Mizenhauer!

Serralfans btfo no GSL, no GOAT!

imagine getting this upset over a list... no need to be mad lmao

terran master race

toss mad, zerg jelly!
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 87 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 957
WardiTV805
OGKoka 257
Rex139
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 257
ProTech140
Rex 139
Codebar 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2801
Shuttle 1702
EffOrt 814
BeSt 650
Mini 394
Light 390
firebathero 358
Stork 327
ggaemo 270
ZerO 270
[ Show more ]
Rush 178
Barracks 121
Zeus 74
Shine 73
Killer 66
Sea.KH 63
sorry 40
Hyun 40
Yoon 37
Mong 32
Shinee 31
Aegong 29
Sexy 28
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 22
Terrorterran 21
HiyA 21
soO 17
ajuk12(nOOB) 13
Sacsri 11
yabsab 9
zelot 6
Noble 4
Dota 2
qojqva3645
Dendi1807
BananaSlamJamma353
LuMiX1
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes589
Other Games
singsing2266
hiko1044
B2W.Neo827
Lowko354
Liquid`RaSZi327
Pyrionflax220
Sick208
Liquid`VortiX205
ArmadaUGS107
Mew2King40
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream551
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH300
• mYiSmile110
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2152
• Nemesis1559
• TFBlade642
Other Games
• WagamamaTV271
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
1h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 25m
Afreeca Starleague
19h 25m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 9h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.