• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:59
CEST 00:59
KST 07:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9711 users

#2: Serral - Greatest Players of All Time - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
233 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
TequilaMockingbird
Profile Joined February 2013
Germany68 Posts
March 16 2024 09:29 GMT
#41
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.
oneill12
Profile Joined February 2012
Romania1222 Posts
March 16 2024 09:39 GMT
#42
Serral is no 1 but anyone can have any opinion
Perceivere
Profile Joined February 2024
133 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-16 09:48:00
March 16 2024 09:47 GMT
#43
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.
Comedy
Profile Joined March 2016
469 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-16 10:21:24
March 16 2024 10:20 GMT
#44
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.
LostUsername100
Profile Joined April 2022
100 Posts
March 16 2024 13:18 GMT
#45
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


Maybe Artosis or Tasteless, but yea it's the overwhelming minority, Dark would also say the GOAT is Dark maybe
MyLovelyLurker
Profile Joined April 2007
France756 Posts
March 16 2024 13:20 GMT
#46
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.
"I just say, it doesn't matter win or lose, I just love Starcraft 2, I love this game, I love this stage, just play like in practice" - TIME/Oliveira
Poopi
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
France13022 Posts
March 16 2024 13:22 GMT
#47
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)
WriterMaru
HeroSandro
Profile Joined July 2019
542 Posts
March 16 2024 13:25 GMT
#48
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)

Can’t really take anything from you seriously, as anyone else would have been banned so many times because of constant balance whine.
MyLovelyLurker
Profile Joined April 2007
France756 Posts
March 16 2024 13:44 GMT
#49
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)


I have no doubt there will be a split between those two. Maru himself might feel compelled to nominate Serral out of modesty (just because you can talk freely doesn't necessarily mean you go all egotrip gangsta). I'm sure pro players will use many of the exact same points we have in this debate, but the little details and how much they weigh them, etc... will be oh so interesting. I hope someone makes it happen !
"I just say, it doesn't matter win or lose, I just love Starcraft 2, I love this game, I love this stage, just play like in practice" - TIME/Oliveira
LostUsername100
Profile Joined April 2022
100 Posts
March 16 2024 13:56 GMT
#50
On March 16 2024 22:44 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)


I have no doubt there will be a split between those two. Maru himself might feel compelled to nominate Serral out of modesty (just because you can talk freely doesn't necessarily mean you go all egotrip gangsta). I'm sure pro players will use many of the exact same points we have in this debate, but the little details and how much they weigh them, etc... will be oh so interesting. I hope someone makes it happen !


If there's a split it's going to be extremely lopsided in Serral's favor, it's crazy people don't see this, it's not foreigner bias that has people saying Serral is better, in betting sites Serral is the favourite for every (I think) tournament since 2018 Blizzcon, when people are voting with their wallets they tend to be a bit more reasonable.






MyLovelyLurker
Profile Joined April 2007
France756 Posts
March 16 2024 14:02 GMT
#51
On March 16 2024 22:56 LostUsername100 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:44 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)


I have no doubt there will be a split between those two. Maru himself might feel compelled to nominate Serral out of modesty (just because you can talk freely doesn't necessarily mean you go all egotrip gangsta). I'm sure pro players will use many of the exact same points we have in this debate, but the little details and how much they weigh them, etc... will be oh so interesting. I hope someone makes it happen !


If there's a split it's going to be extremely lopsided in Serral's favor, it's crazy people don't see this, it's not foreigner bias that has people saying Serral is better, in betting sites Serral is the favourite for every (I think) tournament since 2018 Blizzcon, when people are voting with their wallets they tend to be a bit more reasonable.








As a maths Ph.D. - or as a large language model, who knows - I don't really need to be explained that 0.85^3=61.4% chance for full-power Serral to win any top8 he enters (and he doesn't exactly drop out in groups now, does he). This is what's called risk-neutral odds, this is arguably overwhelming, and that's very different from saying Maru has had a longer career overall, was there at the time of Proleague, etc.
"I just say, it doesn't matter win or lose, I just love Starcraft 2, I love this game, I love this stage, just play like in practice" - TIME/Oliveira
LostUsername100
Profile Joined April 2022
100 Posts
March 16 2024 14:07 GMT
#52
On March 16 2024 23:02 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:56 LostUsername100 wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:44 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)


I have no doubt there will be a split between those two. Maru himself might feel compelled to nominate Serral out of modesty (just because you can talk freely doesn't necessarily mean you go all egotrip gangsta). I'm sure pro players will use many of the exact same points we have in this debate, but the little details and how much they weigh them, etc... will be oh so interesting. I hope someone makes it happen !


If there's a split it's going to be extremely lopsided in Serral's favor, it's crazy people don't see this, it's not foreigner bias that has people saying Serral is better, in betting sites Serral is the favourite for every (I think) tournament since 2018 Blizzcon, when people are voting with their wallets they tend to be a bit more reasonable.








As a maths Ph.D. - or as a large language model, who knows - I don't really need to be explained that 0.85^3=61.4% chance for full-power Serral to win any top8 he enters (and he doesn't exactly drop out in groups now, does he). This is what's called risk-neutral odds, this is arguably overwhelming, and that's very different from saying Maru has had a longer career overall, was there at the time of Proleague, etc.


I mean can you walk backwards from your math explanation and realize how much better he is than the rest of the scene.

You just made the argument why he's the best and the goat, he has kept this for half the game's age, while not even being born in the country with the most structure for this, can you imagine if Serral got into a team when he was 10?
MyLovelyLurker
Profile Joined April 2007
France756 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-16 14:24:31
March 16 2024 14:17 GMT
#53
On March 16 2024 23:07 LostUsername100 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 23:02 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:56 LostUsername100 wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:44 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)


I have no doubt there will be a split between those two. Maru himself might feel compelled to nominate Serral out of modesty (just because you can talk freely doesn't necessarily mean you go all egotrip gangsta). I'm sure pro players will use many of the exact same points we have in this debate, but the little details and how much they weigh them, etc... will be oh so interesting. I hope someone makes it happen !


If there's a split it's going to be extremely lopsided in Serral's favor, it's crazy people don't see this, it's not foreigner bias that has people saying Serral is better, in betting sites Serral is the favourite for every (I think) tournament since 2018 Blizzcon, when people are voting with their wallets they tend to be a bit more reasonable.








As a maths Ph.D. - or as a large language model, who knows - I don't really need to be explained that 0.85^3=61.4% chance for full-power Serral to win any top8 he enters (and he doesn't exactly drop out in groups now, does he). This is what's called risk-neutral odds, this is arguably overwhelming, and that's very different from saying Maru has had a longer career overall, was there at the time of Proleague, etc.


I mean can you walk backwards from your math explanation and realize how much better he is than the rest of the scene.

You just made the argument why he's the best and the goat, he has kept this for half the game's age, while not even being born in the country with the most structure for this, can you imagine if Serral got into a team when he was 10?


(FWIW Serral is my GOAT with Maru my GCOAT - it's cool and not mutually exclusive)

Then he might've reached 90% winrate and - let's face it - SC2 would've been significantly more boring to watch
"I just say, it doesn't matter win or lose, I just love Starcraft 2, I love this game, I love this stage, just play like in practice" - TIME/Oliveira
Pentarp
Profile Joined August 2015
227 Posts
March 16 2024 14:36 GMT
#54
On March 16 2024 22:25 HeroSandro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)

Can’t really take anything from you seriously, as anyone else would have been banned so many times because of constant balance whine.

You have no reply to their argument so you attack their character. Maru has carried Terran on his shoulders unlike any other player for any other race.
Plogamer TL.net RedRocket B.net
HeroSandro
Profile Joined July 2019
542 Posts
March 16 2024 14:58 GMT
#55
On March 16 2024 23:36 Pentarp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:25 HeroSandro wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)

Can’t really take anything from you seriously, as anyone else would have been banned so many times because of constant balance whine.

You have no reply to their argument so you attack their character. Maru has carried Terran on his shoulders unlike any other player for any other race.

I do value Serral’s achievements more, but my comment was about the constant balance whine he gets away with all the time. A case in point is the comment i replied to. Zerg is op and terran is the worst race part 4589.
Nasigil
Profile Joined July 2023
137 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-03-16 15:06:42
March 16 2024 15:04 GMT
#56
On March 16 2024 23:36 Pentarp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 22:25 HeroSandro wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:22 Poopi wrote:
On March 16 2024 22:20 MyLovelyLurker wrote:
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


It'll be super interesting and entertaining perhaps 10 years from now, whene everyone's retired, has kids, and might be pushing 40, to interview Maru, Rogue etc, all the top Koreans, and ask them who they thought the GOAT was. No more pretense or bluster, just pure no BS, straight up fact-spitting.

Maru it will be
There has been no other human to reach such a high skill multiple times, carrying the hopes of an entire race on his shoulders over and over again
Winning 4 GSL code S in a row in a decently competitive era as well

But sure, winning 3 WC as a Zerg is cool too. Two players managed to do it (one in a stronger era though, weird that he is only #3)

Can’t really take anything from you seriously, as anyone else would have been banned so many times because of constant balance whine.

You have no reply to their argument so you attack their character. Maru has carried Terran on his shoulders unlike any other player for any other race.


So? Serral has been carrying the foreigners against the entirety of Koreans like no other players. the supposed "Zerg OP" period last few years is nothing compared to Korean's total domination over Starcraft in the two decades before 2018.

You don't want GOAT discussion to detach from quantifiable statistics and achievements and comes down to narratives, because Serral has better historic narratives than anyone.
Riner1212
Profile Joined November 2012
United States337 Posts
March 16 2024 15:49 GMT
#57
hate to say this being a terran player and a maru fan boy but serral should be 1, cuz numbers dont lie.
Sjow "pretty ez life as protoss"
KalWarkov
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
Germany4126 Posts
March 16 2024 15:49 GMT
#58
korean bias teamliquid.

GSL is a 2nd tier tournament. and its xxx times a year.
it is WAY overvalued.
we don't have 2013.
DiaBoLuS ** Sc2 - Protoss: 16x GM | Dota2 - Offlane Immortal | Wc3 - Undead decent level | Diablo nerd | Chess / Magnus fanboy | BVB | Agnostic***
JJH777
Profile Joined January 2011
United States4420 Posts
March 16 2024 16:14 GMT
#59
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


Artosis has said he doesn't consider Serral the goat (and he also things Zerg was OP during a sizable portion of the last 5ish years). Though he still thinks Rogue is. I don't know if he's ever made his opinion on it clear but I get a similar vibe from some of uthermals comments.

Most other casters made their extreme bias clear anyways when they started calling Serral the goat in 2019/2020. Serral may be the goat now, I certainly think if you just look at his trophies/winrates with no context (scene weakening, low sample size vs Koreans at their peak, state of Zerg, region lock) he is the goat but he was not in 2020. He wasn't even a top 5 goat candidate but every caster besides Tastosis was already calling him that.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27462 Posts
March 16 2024 16:28 GMT
#60
On March 17 2024 01:14 JJH777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 16 2024 19:20 Comedy wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:47 Perceivere wrote:
On March 16 2024 18:29 TequilaMockingbird wrote:
Wait what happened ? I am utterly confused and feel like we are being trolled here.

What happened was a somewhat prominent figure within the SC2 scene has an opinion. -shrug-

Honestly, if any one of the casters, or top20 pros, were to do a write up or video of their top10 or top3 picks, I would give them much more of my attention. No dis to Miz. I just have never heard of him, until this top10 GOAT series of articles. I've only ever read Waxangel's articles, and even then with a lot of skimming-through.

Everyone is allowed their own opinion, and no one's opinion is more official than another. I'd say, Miz has his own rationale and criteria, and everyone else has theirs. In my eyes, Serral is the bonafide GOAT, and it's actually not even close. Maru is a distant 2nd, followed closely by Rogue.


I can't think of a single caster or progamer that wouldnt put serral #1

Progamers have been putting serral #1 for ages. probably before he actually deserved it, accolade wise. But that says it all really. The opinion of your peers means the most.


Artosis has said he doesn't consider Serral the goat (and he also things Zerg was OP during a sizable portion of the last 5ish years). Though he still thinks Rogue is. I don't know if he's ever made his opinion on it clear but I get a similar vibe from some of uthermals comments.

Most other casters made their extreme bias clear anyways when they started calling Serral the goat in 2019/2020. Serral may be the goat now, I certainly think if you just look at his trophies/winrates with no context (scene weakening, low sample size vs Koreans at their peak, state of Zerg, region lock) he is the goat but he was not in 2020. He wasn't even a top 5 goat candidate but every caster besides Tastosis was already calling him that.

Rogue being the GOAT is an outright silly opinion
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 1m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 141
Nathanias 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 559
910 34
MaD[AoV]25
Bale 13
League of Legends
JimRising 599
Counter-Strike
Fnx 649
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox557
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3840
Other Games
summit1g9569
shahzam363
C9.Mang0285
Trikslyr37
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV265
gamesdonequick150
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21298
Other Games
• imaqtpie827
• Shiphtur745
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
1h 1m
Patches Events
17h 1m
The PondCast
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 12h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.