• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:28
CEST 00:28
KST 07:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8278 users

Greatest HotS Players of All Time: Part 2 - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
215 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
phantomfive
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)404 Posts
March 02 2016 19:15 GMT
#41
On March 03 2016 02:42 [PkF] Wire wrote:
sOs 7 ???

More controversial than Nerchio #1 in the PR. I need to seriously read the article but the mere idea of a guy who won 3 100k stacked tourneys being only #7 just looks ridiculous to me.

OK I read the part about sOs and the justifications are interesting, it actually really makes sense, sOs indeed had really bad times when he couldn't get good performances. Still, this ability to give it all when it matters the most is what makes a true champion, and when it happens two times (3 if you count IEM) it's not just bracket luck. sOs deserved FAR better imo (#1 or #2) but that's always subjective.

Thanks for those articles btw, always amazing to look back at those wonderful HotS years.

It's the greatest of Heart of the Swarm, so don't think of it as ranking the player with the absolute best skill, think of it as ranking the player who was most consistently dominating over that period of time. $O$ has undeniable skill, and might have the best skill out of anyone, but he didn't turn it on as consistently as the others.

Consistency matters.
To ease another's heartache is to forget one's own - Lincoln
Ensiferum8
Profile Joined March 2014
Canada103 Posts
March 02 2016 19:17 GMT
#42
On March 03 2016 04:15 phantomfive wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 02:42 [PkF] Wire wrote:
sOs 7 ???

More controversial than Nerchio #1 in the PR. I need to seriously read the article but the mere idea of a guy who won 3 100k stacked tourneys being only #7 just looks ridiculous to me.

OK I read the part about sOs and the justifications are interesting, it actually really makes sense, sOs indeed had really bad times when he couldn't get good performances. Still, this ability to give it all when it matters the most is what makes a true champion, and when it happens two times (3 if you count IEM) it's not just bracket luck. sOs deserved FAR better imo (#1 or #2) but that's always subjective.

Thanks for those articles btw, always amazing to look back at those wonderful HotS years.

It's the greatest of Heart of the Swarm, so don't think of it as ranking the player with the absolute best skill, think of it as ranking the player who was most consistently dominating over that period of time. $O$ has undeniable skill, and might have the best skill out of anyone, but he didn't turn it on as consistently as the others.

Consistency matters.
Life is probably the most inconsistne player of all time. If sOs is #7 because of his inconsistency, Life should be #8-9 or maybe 6. not top 5 lol
WCS is a shitty joke, with racist rules. Support players who deserves it instead of foreigner scrubs who dont work half as much as koreans. JUN TAEYANG IS THE BEST <3
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 19:20:40
March 02 2016 19:18 GMT
#43
On March 03 2016 04:13 Ensiferum8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:11 swissman777 wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:25 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:18 Ensiferum8 wrote:
I wish I had more than 2 hands to facepalm. sOs 7# ? really?!

No amount of justification can justify that ranking. He was superior to Life, Taeja, Maru, Zest. Only Inno was better than him.

Lost a lot of respect for stuchiu and his ranking. Will not read the other ones as they might just be even more of a joke.

Life got to 2 Blizzcon finals and won a bunch more tournaments than sOs, including having better results in Korea. So I'm intrigued as to how sOs is better than Life but INnoVation is better than sOs.

Life won one more premier tournament than sos in hots.
yeah, but sOs tournaments wins are more impressive. + Life is garbage in PL, while sOs was a god.

I think he might have completely ommitted team leagues from this ranking, because it's not mentioned for any of the top performers listed so far. Not for herO, who got the award for most wins twice, not for sOs, not for Maru. He might list it for INnoVation because INno's team league performances are batshit crazy, but beyond that, not sure.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
ToKoreaWithLove
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Norway10161 Posts
March 02 2016 19:24 GMT
#44
On March 03 2016 03:04 stuchiu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.


No one remembers Sync.

Everyone remembers Yellow.


Sparks/Fireworks Terran I was cheering for the zerg. (HOT, wasnt it?)

ModeratorFather of bunnies
ToKoreaWithLove
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Norway10161 Posts
March 02 2016 19:26 GMT
#45
The coolest part of this list for me is how many absolutely amazing players hots gave us. To add, its a pleasure seeing sOs and Maru, two guys with unique playstyles, so high.
ModeratorFather of bunnies
Ensiferum8
Profile Joined March 2014
Canada103 Posts
March 02 2016 19:26 GMT
#46
On March 03 2016 04:18 Elentos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:13 Ensiferum8 wrote:
On March 03 2016 04:11 swissman777 wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:25 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:18 Ensiferum8 wrote:
I wish I had more than 2 hands to facepalm. sOs 7# ? really?!

No amount of justification can justify that ranking. He was superior to Life, Taeja, Maru, Zest. Only Inno was better than him.

Lost a lot of respect for stuchiu and his ranking. Will not read the other ones as they might just be even more of a joke.

Life got to 2 Blizzcon finals and won a bunch more tournaments than sOs, including having better results in Korea. So I'm intrigued as to how sOs is better than Life but INnoVation is better than sOs.

Life won one more premier tournament than sos in hots.
yeah, but sOs tournaments wins are more impressive. + Life is garbage in PL, while sOs was a god.

I think he might have completely ommitted team leagues from this ranking, because it's not mentioned for any of the top performers listed so far. Not for herO, who got the award for most wins twice, not for sOs, not for Maru. He might list it for INnoVation because INno's team league performances are batshit crazy, but beyond that, not sure.
that might be possible, you are right. But that would be a huge mistake, since PL is as important for the scene as GSL (probably more).

Just look at Flash's parent after he won vs Parting in PL final, they were crying and the stadium was on fire.

On top of that, PL brings a completly different set of skills from players. And seeing sOs performing so well in both is insanely impressive, and was the big reason why IMO (and in a lot of people opinions) sOs and Innovation should be #1 and 2 (dont know which one is #1 though) while Life should be #3, etc....

Both ways, stuchiu made a huge mistake.

If he didnt take PL into account, thats completly wrong since PL is HUGE.

If he take it into account, well theres no way sOs is not above Life, or at least top #3 on the list
WCS is a shitty joke, with racist rules. Support players who deserves it instead of foreigner scrubs who dont work half as much as koreans. JUN TAEYANG IS THE BEST <3
pure.Wasted
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada4701 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 19:39:13
March 02 2016 19:32 GMT
#47
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.

Edit: Polt is too high as well. I strongly disagree with the international bias of this ranking. There's no way Polt is ahead of PartinG, there just isn't, and thats coming from someone who got a stiffy watching Polt wreck Rain and Classic when everyone else (except Maru of course) would have thrown in the towel.
INna Maru-da-FanTa, Bbaby, TY Dream that I'm Flashing you
Roadog
Profile Joined May 2012
Canada1670 Posts
March 02 2016 19:38 GMT
#48
On March 03 2016 04:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.


You can't really compare Bo3s against potentially borderline Code S-level players who fluked in through a lucky Code A draw to Bo5s against the greatest 16 players of the year across the WCS circuit.
sOs fan. Zerg just seem to have the most...potential. Dubbo Robo Colo! Why I play Protoss: Stalkers, bacon, toilets and mama -- Chelsea FC
Ensiferum8
Profile Joined March 2014
Canada103 Posts
March 02 2016 19:40 GMT
#49
On March 03 2016 04:38 Roadog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.


You can't really compare Bo3s against potentially borderline Code S-level players who fluked in through a lucky Code A draw to Bo5s against the greatest 16 players of the year across the WCS circuit.
once again, thats not true all the time. Life playing vs Lilbow was defenitly easier than a GSL round of 32. Even players like hyun, san, MMA, polt, MC etc.. are all way weaker than GSL round of 8. I think both are almsot as important.
WCS is a shitty joke, with racist rules. Support players who deserves it instead of foreigner scrubs who dont work half as much as koreans. JUN TAEYANG IS THE BEST <3
Phredxor
Profile Joined May 2013
New Zealand15076 Posts
March 02 2016 19:42 GMT
#50
On March 03 2016 04:40 Ensiferum8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:38 Roadog wrote:
On March 03 2016 04:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.


You can't really compare Bo3s against potentially borderline Code S-level players who fluked in through a lucky Code A draw to Bo5s against the greatest 16 players of the year across the WCS circuit.
once again, thats not true all the time. Life playing vs Lilbow was defenitly easier than a GSL round of 32. Even players like hyun, san, MMA, polt, MC etc.. are all way weaker than GSL round of 8. I think both are almsot as important.


Very much this. Not trying to take anything away from Blizzcon but that was a silly argument. Pigbaby won a WCS NA. That shows you how weak those fields were.
pure.Wasted
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada4701 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 19:45:14
March 02 2016 19:44 GMT
#51
On March 03 2016 04:38 Roadog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.


You can't really compare Bo3s against potentially borderline Code S-level players who fluked in through a lucky Code A draw to Bo5s against the greatest 16 players of the year across the WCS circuit.


Lilbow? Stardust? Duckdeok? Jjakji? Fantasy? HyuN? These were some of your "greatest players of the year" in HOTS.

Fantasy, a classic "borderline code S" Terran, is HARDER to beat in a code S because getting into Code S means you've recently beaten strong Koreans. By the time these guys show up at Blizzcon at the end of the year, many of them look like they barely know what SC2 is, because they peaked six months ago and then fell off.
INna Maru-da-FanTa, Bbaby, TY Dream that I'm Flashing you
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 19:46:57
March 02 2016 19:45 GMT
#52
Can we stop comparing weekenders to starleagues for once? sOs, soO and TaeJa have never won a starleague. NesTea and Maru have never won a weekender. Can't we just accept that they're different disciplines requiring different skillsets? Only the very best have ever been truly great at both i.e. basically just Life and Mvp
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
Roadog
Profile Joined May 2012
Canada1670 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 19:56:47
March 02 2016 19:46 GMT
#53
On March 03 2016 04:40 Ensiferum8 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:38 Roadog wrote:
On March 03 2016 04:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.


You can't really compare Bo3s against potentially borderline Code S-level players who fluked in through a lucky Code A draw to Bo5s against the greatest 16 players of the year across the WCS circuit.
once again, thats not true all the time. Life playing vs Lilbow was defenitly easier than a GSL round of 32. Even players like hyun, san, MMA, polt, MC etc.. are all way weaker than GSL round of 8. I think both are almsot as important.


I was just talking about the Ro32s in GSL. I never said anything about its Ro8. Most of the time you won't play against more than 4 Ro8-grade players anyway.

On March 03 2016 04:44 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:38 Roadog wrote:
On March 03 2016 04:32 pure.Wasted wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:38 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:14 Elentos wrote:
On March 03 2016 03:00 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On March 03 2016 02:50 Silvana wrote:
Good job! I think I would switch Maru and sOs but I agree on the rest.

Maybe sOs is a little bit low at #7, but I personally wouldn't put him above #5. Suggesting he is #1 or #2 looks wrong to me because it would be too much focus on one single aspect (winning the big things).

Hmmm I can understand that stance but we'll probably get soO, who never won a huge tournament in HotS, in the top 5. I think sOs should be above soO no matter how astonishingly consistent this guy has been. You remember a 4 time finalist of course, but for me that's not enough to counteract even 1 Blizzcon.

Even though making four consecutive GSL finals is much harder.

I guess it's extremely subjective, but I'll always value the guy who wins when it matters the most, especially when he does that TWO times. I don't know if making 4 GSL finals is actually much harder than winning 2 Blizzcons, both achievements are totally insane.


Blizzcon is ro16, GSL is ro32 with group stages

Blizzcon is 4 series to win, GSL is 7-9

That's right. One single code S is worth more than two Blizzcons.

I like sOs at 7, but Maru is too low. Double royal roader in Korean leagues, most consistent player in Korean leagues by far, amazing in Proleague... Taeja's billion irrelevant premiers have nothing on that.


You can't really compare Bo3s against potentially borderline Code S-level players who fluked in through a lucky Code A draw to Bo5s against the greatest 16 players of the year across the WCS circuit.

Fantasy, a classic "borderline code S" Terran, is HARDER to beat in a code S because getting into Code S means you've recently beaten strong Koreans. By the time these guys show up at Blizzcon at the end of the year, many of them look like they barely know what SC2 is, because they peaked six months ago and then fell off.


Fantasy wasn't really the kind of guy I'm talking about. I mean more like the Sleeps, Hurricanes and RagnaroKs, the guys who fluked in once and barely deserved to be there.
sOs fan. Zerg just seem to have the most...potential. Dubbo Robo Colo! Why I play Protoss: Stalkers, bacon, toilets and mama -- Chelsea FC
pure.Wasted
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada4701 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 19:52:02
March 02 2016 19:51 GMT
#54
On March 03 2016 04:45 thecrazymunchkin wrote:
Can we stop comparing weekenders to starleagues for once? sOs, soO and TaeJa have never won a starleague. NesTea and Maru have never won a weekender. Can't we just accept that they're different disciplines requiring different skillsets? Only the very best have ever been truly great at both i.e. basically just Life and Mvp


You would be completely right if weekend tournaments and starleagues featured identical rosters, but that isn't exactly the case, is it?

How many freebie Ro32 and ro16s did Taeja have over his career?

Maru isn't in Code S right now because he met Zest IN CODE A. That's the real difference. Not the tournament format.
INna Maru-da-FanTa, Bbaby, TY Dream that I'm Flashing you
Orr
Profile Joined February 2014
United States168 Posts
March 02 2016 20:10 GMT
#55
The Taeja bias is real (no surprise given that he was #3 on the GOAT list).

While the exact order isn't as important, excluding sOs and Maru from the top five is a disgrace.
Flash I Jaedong I herO I Best I Maru I Rogue
munch
Profile Joined July 2014
Mute City2363 Posts
March 02 2016 20:10 GMT
#56
On March 03 2016 04:51 pure.Wasted wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2016 04:45 thecrazymunchkin wrote:
Can we stop comparing weekenders to starleagues for once? sOs, soO and TaeJa have never won a starleague. NesTea and Maru have never won a weekender. Can't we just accept that they're different disciplines requiring different skillsets? Only the very best have ever been truly great at both i.e. basically just Life and Mvp


You would be completely right if weekend tournaments and starleagues featured identical rosters, but that isn't exactly the case, is it?

How many freebie Ro32 and ro16s did Taeja have over his career?

Maru isn't in Code S right now because he met Zest IN CODE A. That's the real difference. Not the tournament format.



Look, I'm far from a TaeJa fan, but it's just lazy to continue to accuse him of having free tournaments.
Yes, he certainly had a few, but to just claim that the majority were easy is silly.
This is an edited list of his HotS weekender runs showing the top class players he beat

DH Bucharest '13: 2-1 Symbol, 2-0 sOs, 2-0 Life, 3-0 INnoVation
HSC 8: 2-1 Scarlett, 3-0 HerO, 3-2 Symbol, 4-0 HyuN
WCS '13 S2 Finals: 2-1 INno, 2-0 duckdeok, 3-0 Rain
DHW '13: 2-1 INno, 2-1 sOs, 2-1 ForGG, 2-1 HerO, 2-1 MMA, 2-0 Life, 4-2 Life
IEM WC '14: 3-2 StarDust, 3-1 Life
DH Summer '14: 2-0 Jaedong, 3-0 HerO
IEM IX Shenzhen: 2-0 MMA, 2-1 Life, 3-0 Zest, 3-1 Jaedong, 4-3 Solar
IEM IX Toronto: 2-1 Zest. 3-1 viOLet
BlizzCon '14: 3-1 soO, 3-1 INno
DHW '14: 3-0 HerO, 3-0 San, 3-2 Polt, 3-0 jjakji

Some were obviously just weak tournaments, but others were quite clearly up against some of the best in the world (DH Bucharest / Winter in 2013 stand out in particular, as does IEM Shenzhen)

I don't know why I always get roped in despite not even liking him as a player, but it's a fallacy to reduce his career to 'shitty foreign events lol'
WriterForm is temporary, MMA is permanent || http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/508630-article-archive
Ve5pa
Profile Joined December 2014
United Kingdom252 Posts
March 02 2016 20:12 GMT
#57
I strongly agree that ProLeague results should be factored into this. For me it's the most important tournament. GSL is nice for individual skill, but being able to prove your worth for a team week in week out is what gets the great players into the great teams, and it's the training their that helps them do well in individual leagues. Rain winning a GSL whilst on myInsanity was a tremendous feat baring in mind he was competing against many players from the KeSpa teams.

I also agree that winning Blizzcon in the premier tournament for individual leagues. Even though GSL is arguably harder if you happen to qualify for both.

I am a Terran fan at heart and TaeJa would be one of my favourite players in Starcraft 2 but i couldn't justify saying he was better than the Korean based players who smash proleague and GSL's, SSL's on a regular basis.

Also having your face on a plane must count for something right???
Ensiferum8
Profile Joined March 2014
Canada103 Posts
March 02 2016 20:13 GMT
#58
On March 03 2016 04:45 thecrazymunchkin wrote:
Can we stop comparing weekenders to starleagues for once? sOs, soO and TaeJa have never won a starleague. NesTea and Maru have never won a weekender. Can't we just accept that they're different disciplines requiring different skillsets? Only the very best have ever been truly great at both i.e. basically just Life and Mvp
but Life is awfull in PL where Maru is great in PL and starleague. I would not say Life is better than that.

On top of that, if Maru/zest etc... played way more IEM / Dh, they would have way better results than Life
WCS is a shitty joke, with racist rules. Support players who deserves it instead of foreigner scrubs who dont work half as much as koreans. JUN TAEYANG IS THE BEST <3
CrayonPopChoa
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada761 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 20:19:17
March 02 2016 20:18 GMT
#59
I cant believe SOS is 7th, he won 2 blizzcons, twice he won the biggest tournament represented by the best players over a calendar year. Even if he hadnt won a single other tournament, which is highly unlikley since you have perform well to get to blizzcon in the first place, but even if he hadnt, he should still be easily top 3 of the HOTS era. Thats why official lists like this need to include a panel of experts, not just one guy, cause one guy can always get it wrong.
BW4LIFE
Elentos
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
55594 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-03-02 20:21:07
March 02 2016 20:19 GMT
#60
On March 03 2016 05:10 Orr wrote:
While the exact order isn't as important, excluding sOs and Maru from the top five is a disgrace.

Honestly I think for the top 6-7 players of HotS the order is in a large part down to personal preference and at the end of the day the world doesn't change because somebody thinks sOs is only the #7 player instead of the #3 or w/e. I'd have him higher than 7 but I can see stuchiu's argument, and since he has the courage to write his opinions into articles that can be ridiculed for years to come, I'm not gonna shit on him.

On March 03 2016 05:18 CrayonPopChoa wrote:
Thats why official lists like this need to include a panel of experts, not just one guy, cause one guy can always get it wrong.

The only thing that's official about this is that it's officially stuchiu's personal opinion.
Every 60 seconds in Africa, a minute passes.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O150
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft244
Nina 103
ViBE76
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14236
ZZZero.O 150
firebathero 100
Hyuk 71
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm117
febbydoto71
League of Legends
Doublelift3927
Counter-Strike
Fnx 930
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6087
Other Games
summit1g7003
FrodaN2232
mouzStarbuck403
JimRising 339
KnowMe233
ToD209
ArmadaUGS132
Mew2King42
Railgan30
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1152
BasetradeTV175
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream96
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 78
• musti20045 32
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie805
• Shiphtur221
• tFFMrPink 13
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 33m
INu's Battles
13h 33m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
16h 33m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 33m
BSL Open Qualifier
20h 33m
Replay Cast
1d
Afreeca Starleague
1d 11h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 12h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 17h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.