• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:22
CEST 10:22
KST 17:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9970 users

Season 4 Ladder Map Pool: Voting Begins! - Page 46

Forum Index > SC2 General
1068 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 54 Next
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-21 16:15:10
October 21 2014 15:47 GMT
#901
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one (worst case scenario I play Shakuras/Ohana/Daybreak/Akilon ; if Bel'shir Vestige or Neo Planet S is the last map I'll drop Shakuras though I'll probably give this map a try) ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 21 2014 15:52 GMT
#902
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-21 16:10:17
October 21 2014 16:09 GMT
#903
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 21 2014 16:16 GMT
#904
On October 22 2014 01:09 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.

That would be pretty good, although I'd argue that there is a difference between "weird shitty things" like Daedalus and "weird interesting things" like Foxtrot. Also, adding to that an alternate map pool for unranked (something like 5-7 different maps in addition to the ladder map pool with unlimited vetos) to give radically different maps a chance to be played would be cool.
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-21 16:26:34
October 21 2014 16:18 GMT
#905
On October 22 2014 01:16 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 01:09 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.

there is a difference between "weird shitty things" like Daedalus and "weird interesting things" like Foxtrot.


I definitely like and agree with this distinction ^^ ; like I said before, overall I'm not too critical on Foxtrot and even play it. I just don't get why the mapmaker couldn't make the ramp one hex narrower so that P can safely expand in PvZ, but that must be part of shaking the meta. I know it sounds like I hate "innovative" maps, which is the case to some extent, but I feel we should be given 4-5 "standard solid" maps in every map pool so that people who don't wish to play strange maps can veto them. It would even allow more bold attempts in the 3-2 remaining maps, though I hope some things (huge maps : Alterzim/Deadwing, open naturals : Daedalus Point, impossible to defend against drops maps : Nimbus and to some extent Catallena...) are never to be seen again.
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 21 2014 16:26 GMT
#906
On October 22 2014 01:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 01:16 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:09 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.

there is a difference between "weird shitty things" like Daedalus and "weird interesting things" like Foxtrot.


I definitely like and agree with this distinction ^^ ; like I said before, overall I'm not too critical on Foxtrot and even play it. I just don't get why the mapmaker couldn't make the ramp one hex narrower so that P can safely expand in PvZ, but that must be part of shaking the meta. I know it sounds like I hate "innovative" maps, which is the case to some extent, but I feel we should be given 4-5 "standard solid" maps in every map pool so that people who don't wish to play strange maps can veto them. It would even allow more bold attempts in the 3-2 remaining maps.

You have to keep in mind that "innovative" and "standard" is not black and white though. I mean, would you place Habitation among what you call "standard solid" maps or "innovative"?
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-21 16:31:43
October 21 2014 16:29 GMT
#907
On October 22 2014 01:26 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 01:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:16 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:09 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.

there is a difference between "weird shitty things" like Daedalus and "weird interesting things" like Foxtrot.


I definitely like and agree with this distinction ^^ ; like I said before, overall I'm not too critical on Foxtrot and even play it. I just don't get why the mapmaker couldn't make the ramp one hex narrower so that P can safely expand in PvZ, but that must be part of shaking the meta. I know it sounds like I hate "innovative" maps, which is the case to some extent, but I feel we should be given 4-5 "standard solid" maps in every map pool so that people who don't wish to play strange maps can veto them. It would even allow more bold attempts in the 3-2 remaining maps.

You have to keep in mind that "innovative" and "standard" is not black and white though. I mean, would you place Habitation among what you call "standard solid" maps or "innovative"?


I already mentioned earlier in the thread that Habitation Station is, to my mind, one of the only cases of something that looks really gimmicky (a really easy gold that can even be taken as natural or floated on) turning into something standard and to my mind quite awesome. But that is one Habitation Station for many Icarus, Daedalus Point and Alterzim. I know it's not black and white, but I think there are some rules (not too big/small map, wallable natural, not too much air space, small ramp at the main...) that people seem to think are here to be broken and I think are here because you can't make a reasonable map without abiding to them.
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
October 21 2014 16:34 GMT
#908
On October 22 2014 01:29 [PkF] Wire wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 01:26 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:16 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:09 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
On October 21 2014 21:48 Big J wrote:
But in general I'd recommend everybody to open with gas anyways, which is why I'm not that sold on the need to cater to gasless builds. They aren't that good to begin with.


This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.

there is a difference between "weird shitty things" like Daedalus and "weird interesting things" like Foxtrot.


I definitely like and agree with this distinction ^^ ; like I said before, overall I'm not too critical on Foxtrot and even play it. I just don't get why the mapmaker couldn't make the ramp one hex narrower so that P can safely expand in PvZ, but that must be part of shaking the meta. I know it sounds like I hate "innovative" maps, which is the case to some extent, but I feel we should be given 4-5 "standard solid" maps in every map pool so that people who don't wish to play strange maps can veto them. It would even allow more bold attempts in the 3-2 remaining maps.

You have to keep in mind that "innovative" and "standard" is not black and white though. I mean, would you place Habitation among what you call "standard solid" maps or "innovative"?


I already mentioned earlier in the thread that Habitation Station is, to my mind, one of the only cases of something that looks really gimmicky (a really easy gold that can even be taken as natural or floated on) turning into something standard and really awesome. But that is one Habitation Station for many Icarus, Daedalus Point and Alterzim. I know it's not black and white, but I think there are some rules (not too big/small map, wallable natural, not too much air space, small ramp at the main...) that people seem to think are here to be broken and I think are here because you can't make a reasonable map without abiding to them.

I thought like you considering basic 'rules' of a non-broken map until someone in this thread (I believe it was in this thread?) answered me that a broken feature can be fixed by another broken feature. I have to say that I would like to see this in action to really believe it, but that concept, along with the part that I bolded, make me wish that non-WCS tournaments used non-ladder maps, including crazy ones.
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-10-21 16:44:14
October 21 2014 16:38 GMT
#909
On October 22 2014 01:34 OtherWorld wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 01:29 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:26 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:18 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:16 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 01:09 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:52 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 22 2014 00:47 [PkF] Wire wrote:
On October 21 2014 23:40 OtherWorld wrote:
On October 21 2014 22:11 Zheryn wrote:
[quote]

This is what I'm talking about. You don't like gasless builds and think they are not that good, while I like to open gasless and think they are good. So if the maps would allow both of us to play the way we believe in and show our own playstyle, it would be way more interesting rather than forcing us both to play the same style. Maps like Overgrowth are a good example of a map that allows different styles. It's really common to see gas openers here but gasless is also good here so you end up with a lot different scenarios.

I agree here. A good (standard) map is a map that allows for a maximum of different styles, without any being broken in one way or the other. It can favor a style, but not make it so favorable that using another style is basically jumping from the fifth floor and hoping there's something to absorb your fall. Following that reasoning, in ZvZ, maps like Akilon or MGR are terrible because a gas opening is so favored (MGR is even more terrible in that regard that you can't scout reliably due to the 3 spawns), while Overgrowth is the exact opposite.


I know a lot of people like to shit on it (too standard, boring, too small, etc) but I genuinely think Overgrowth set a standard for a solid HotS 2 players map like Daybreak or Cloud Kingdom did in WoL. It's the only map in the current map pool I don't mind playing on. The others I play all have at least slightly unpleasant features (Deadwing is retardedly large -I hate this map-, MGR has its horribly hard third though I like the map and Foxtrot Labs is really hard to expand in PvZ on though I appreciate the map overall too) so having Overgrowth in the map pool feels really comforting.

Like some others said before, I will actually enjoy this #dreampool at least as much as the current one ; which was, to say the least, quite unexpected.

No, I agree with you and feel Overgrowth is one the most standard and solid map in HotS along with Frost (and Bel'shir imo). But having a map pool with 7 Overgrowth/Frost would make me sad^^


A map pool with 4 Overgrowth/Frost and 3 of those weird things people seem to think are good and refreshing for the game and I can veto (Daedalus Point, Foxtrot Labs, Nimbus...) would actually delight me.

there is a difference between "weird shitty things" like Daedalus and "weird interesting things" like Foxtrot.


I definitely like and agree with this distinction ^^ ; like I said before, overall I'm not too critical on Foxtrot and even play it. I just don't get why the mapmaker couldn't make the ramp one hex narrower so that P can safely expand in PvZ, but that must be part of shaking the meta. I know it sounds like I hate "innovative" maps, which is the case to some extent, but I feel we should be given 4-5 "standard solid" maps in every map pool so that people who don't wish to play strange maps can veto them. It would even allow more bold attempts in the 3-2 remaining maps.

You have to keep in mind that "innovative" and "standard" is not black and white though. I mean, would you place Habitation among what you call "standard solid" maps or "innovative"?


I already mentioned earlier in the thread that Habitation Station is, to my mind, one of the only cases of something that looks really gimmicky (a really easy gold that can even be taken as natural or floated on) turning into something standard and really awesome. But that is one Habitation Station for many Icarus, Daedalus Point and Alterzim. I know it's not black and white, but I think there are some rules (not too big/small map, wallable natural, not too much air space, small ramp at the main...) that people seem to think are here to be broken and I think are here because you can't make a reasonable map without abiding to them.

I thought like you considering basic 'rules' of a non-broken map until someone in this thread (I believe it was in this thread?) answered me that a broken feature can be fixed by another broken feature. I have to say that I would like to see this in action to really believe it, but that concept, along with the part that I bolded, make me wish that non-WCS tournaments used non-ladder maps, including crazy ones.


I read that too and I think it's bullshit, though I'm very open to seeing some mapmakers making maps trying to go this way and non WCS-tourneys using them. But to be perfectly honest, I don't believe in it. I know you can cure some diseases by giving the patient another disease, but I think in this case it'll just end up adding broken features together to get really desperately unsalvageable maps ; at least Daedalus became a half-decent map when they reduced the natural ramp size. To emphasize it : I agree with you, I'd like to see some less important tournaments get more innovative as far as maps go, so that solid maps that emerge there can then be used in serious tournaments. But I think ladder map pool and WCS map pool should aim to be as standard and solid as it gets.
Meavis
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Netherlands1300 Posts
October 21 2014 16:59 GMT
#910
when you try to fix imbalance with imbalance, the imbalance that comes first wins and makes later imbalance obsolete, but the map is still imbalanced.
"Not you."
[PkF] Wire
Profile Joined March 2013
France24239 Posts
October 21 2014 17:06 GMT
#911
On October 22 2014 01:59 Meavis wrote:
when you try to fix imbalance with imbalance, the imbalance that comes first wins and makes later imbalance obsolete, but the map is still imbalanced.


Ha ha ha ! Quite well said, and I think it's totally true.
Spect8rCraft
Profile Joined December 2012
649 Posts
October 21 2014 17:09 GMT
#912
On October 22 2014 01:59 Meavis wrote:
when you try to fix imbalance with imbalance, the imbalance that comes first wins and makes later imbalance obsolete, but the map is still imbalanced.


Or, in the immortal words of Ryung:

IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA IMBA
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
October 21 2014 20:02 GMT
#913
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
October 21 2014 20:03 GMT
#914
On October 22 2014 05:02 Gamegene wrote:
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol


Tournaments probably won't use the ladder maps and it isn't WCS so it isn't as big of a deal.
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
October 21 2014 20:04 GMT
#915
On October 22 2014 05:03 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 05:02 Gamegene wrote:
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol


Tournaments probably won't use the ladder maps and it isn't WCS so it isn't as big of a deal.


2 and a half months of crappy ladder games
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
October 21 2014 20:06 GMT
#916
On October 22 2014 05:04 Gamegene wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 05:03 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:02 Gamegene wrote:
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol


Tournaments probably won't use the ladder maps and it isn't WCS so it isn't as big of a deal.


2 and a half months of crappy ladder games


Not necessarily, a couple of the maps are okay
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
October 21 2014 20:08 GMT
#917
On October 22 2014 05:06 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 05:04 Gamegene wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:03 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:02 Gamegene wrote:
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol


Tournaments probably won't use the ladder maps and it isn't WCS so it isn't as big of a deal.


2 and a half months of crappy ladder games


Not necessarily, a couple of the maps are okay



#1 Cloud Kingdom LE (8.34%) - Amount of space to cover for the main versus Reaper / Blink
#2 Metalopolis (8.14%) lol
#3 Daybreak LE (7.79%) SWARM HOSTS
#4 Ohana LE (7.69%) SOUL TRAIN
#5 Shakuras Plateau (7.21%) I HOPE YOU ENJOY BACK DOOR MSC BLINK... AND IT'S SHAKURAS LOL
#6 Akilon Wastes (6.77%) OK map.
Steppes lol
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
October 21 2014 20:09 GMT
#918
On October 22 2014 05:08 Gamegene wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 05:06 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:04 Gamegene wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:03 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:02 Gamegene wrote:
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol


Tournaments probably won't use the ladder maps and it isn't WCS so it isn't as big of a deal.


2 and a half months of crappy ladder games


Not necessarily, a couple of the maps are okay



#1 Cloud Kingdom LE (8.34%) - Amount of space to cover for the main versus Reaper / Blink
#2 Metalopolis (8.14%) lol
#3 Daybreak LE (7.79%) SWARM HOSTS
#4 Ohana LE (7.69%) SOUL TRAIN
#5 Shakuras Plateau (7.21%) I HOPE YOU ENJOY BACK DOOR MSC BLINK... AND IT'S SHAKURAS LOL
#6 Akilon Wastes (6.77%) OK map.
Steppes lol


I said okay, not perfect. Every maps has exploitable stuff
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
Gamegene
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States8308 Posts
October 21 2014 20:10 GMT
#919
CK, Ohana, Daybreak and Akilon are playable enough, but they're definitely a step backwards from a lot of the better maps we've seen in the past year. Throw in 2 more maps and an extra veto please :<
Throw on your favorite jacket and you're good to roll. Stroll through the trees and let your miseries go.
Meavis
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Netherlands1300 Posts
October 21 2014 20:13 GMT
#920
On October 22 2014 05:09 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2014 05:08 Gamegene wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:06 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:04 Gamegene wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:03 SetGuitarsToKill wrote:
On October 22 2014 05:02 Gamegene wrote:
Why aren't progamers up in arms about this

They're the ones who are going to suffer the most, either they're not going to get practice on the maps they want or tournaments will actually use the ladder maps lol


Tournaments probably won't use the ladder maps and it isn't WCS so it isn't as big of a deal.


2 and a half months of crappy ladder games


Not necessarily, a couple of the maps are okay



#1 Cloud Kingdom LE (8.34%) - Amount of space to cover for the main versus Reaper / Blink
#2 Metalopolis (8.14%) lol
#3 Daybreak LE (7.79%) SWARM HOSTS
#4 Ohana LE (7.69%) SOUL TRAIN
#5 Shakuras Plateau (7.21%) I HOPE YOU ENJOY BACK DOOR MSC BLINK... AND IT'S SHAKURAS LOL
#6 Akilon Wastes (6.77%) OK map.
Steppes lol


I said okay, not perfect. Every maps has exploitable stuff


every?

try me brah
"Not you."
Prev 1 44 45 46 47 48 54 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 38m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 2349
Hyuk 285
Shinee 85
Hyun 71
Killer 60
ggaemo 56
Snow 55
Hm[arnc] 48
sorry 30
Bale 29
[ Show more ]
ZergMaN 28
JYJ 14
Bonyth 11
League of Legends
JimRising 600
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King111
Other Games
summit1g8495
ArmadaUGS70
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick775
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream193
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2330
League of Legends
• Lourlo1742
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 38m
INu's Battles
3h 38m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
6h 38m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 38m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 38m
Replay Cast
14h 38m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 1h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 2h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 14h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.