• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:31
CEST 13:31
KST 20:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7002 users

Do you macro like a pro? - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 61 62 63 Next
windsupernova
Profile Joined October 2010
Mexico5280 Posts
September 16 2011 16:38 GMT
#41
This is an amazing post.

But I'll be honest, haha I don't really see much point in doing all this. Well unless you like math and have the time to do it which I can understand as I love math. Its Ok, I just found it funny how well formatted all of this is as if it was for a research paper
"Its easy, just trust your CPU".-Boxer on being good at games
Goggalor
Profile Joined August 2010
United States310 Posts
September 16 2011 16:39 GMT
#42
Wow, awesome work. Nice to see actual data for the 'macro till diamond' advice.
We are a way for the cosmos to know itself - Carl Sagan
Cofo
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1388 Posts
September 16 2011 16:39 GMT
#43
Jesus christ, this post is amazing. Thank you! Tagged for later.
+ Show Spoiler +
templar rage
Profile Joined September 2010
United States2509 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-16 16:42:20
September 16 2011 16:39 GMT
#44
On September 17 2011 01:32 butchji wrote:
The Spending Quotient isn't as important for Zergs though? Zergs can mass larvae without spending the money - like when you save 1000 mins 1000 gas to instantly spawn 10 mutalisks as the spire finishes.


He covered this towards the end, saying that the SQ is "insensitive to strategic factors", such as stockpiling resources. It's just a model that can be used to compare macro between leagues in a general sense. Numerous times throughout the post, the OP mentions that differences may occur due to strategic choices.

It was an interesting read. I'll be sure to try it myself when I get home.
Cain0
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom608 Posts
September 16 2011 16:40 GMT
#45
On September 17 2011 01:18 crystyxn wrote:
lol @ Idra having his own league


Ha, I know, its not as if he's a little bit ahead of the rest of Grandmasters, he's a whole league ahead. Just when I thought that all GM's had perfect macro, I read this.

Also, this is by far the most epic post I have ever read on TL, I can't imagine what your 1000th post will be like if this is only your 500th. It is really unbelieveable how much effort you have put into this. Brilliant Stuff!
SwizzY
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1549 Posts
September 16 2011 16:40 GMT
#46
Uhm. This is by far the most impressive and comprehensive macro analysis I've ever seen.

Bravo man. Really interesting stuff.
All that glitters is not gold, all that wander are not lost, the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by frost.
tnud
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Sweden2233 Posts
September 16 2011 16:40 GMT
#47
On September 17 2011 01:37 Agh wrote:
while I know it was done for fun, your dats is not as useful as it could be. Your conclusions need to be separated for each race. P and Z average unspent will be much higher than T.

http://i.imgur.com/6jUUQ.png
?
Seems like protoss is the worst at this (in this sample size). Mass warpin ftw
- ಠ_ಠ - | disinfect wrote: AHAHHAHAHA 2DG FUCK ME ALREADY.
Lafer
Profile Joined April 2010
United States114 Posts
September 16 2011 16:40 GMT
#48
Very nice write up, shows me just how far I am from my goal macro wise. Got a lot of work to do!
the p00n
Profile Joined September 2010
Netherlands615 Posts
September 16 2011 16:41 GMT
#49
Interesting, my spending quotient is 82, which would make me exactly GM league average (even though being stuck in masters this season).
tarpman
Profile Joined February 2009
Canada723 Posts
September 16 2011 16:41 GMT
#50
Thanks for this! Really nice to see everything laid out so clearly. I will certainly be checking and benchmarking my SQ as time goes on.

On September 17 2011 01:29 ZaaaaaM wrote:
Rofl at the zerg getting up to 160 drones haha


My understanding is that's how many workers he built, not how many he had at any one time. So, he probably lost a whole lot and had to rebuild them.
Saving the world, one kilobyte at a time.
Poo
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada536 Posts
September 16 2011 16:41 GMT
#51
Awesome work, I love the fact you're devising simple to understand math models to describe aspects of sc2. Hopefully you do more of these kinds of posts!! :D

Try hard or don't try at all.
Tigi
Profile Joined October 2008
Germany472 Posts
September 16 2011 16:41 GMT
#52
why would you build 100 workers ?
§1: Die Units des Hasu sind unantastbar.
Bojas
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands2397 Posts
September 16 2011 16:42 GMT
#53
Thanks for this, I am a diamond player who always thinks he can macro like a masters player but I have never really compared aswell as with that formula and I am very happy that I can probably prove myself wrong now. Which will probably help me get myself to the next level.

Thanks allot for this . imo this deserves a forum star or some other reward.
d_wAy
Profile Joined November 2010
United States104 Posts
September 16 2011 16:43 GMT
#54
I am very very impressed. Thank you so much for this wildly interesting post!

I'm not exactly sure what I've learned from the OP but I am sure as hell enjoying the multiple nerdgasms I'm having as a Maths major.
imPERSONater
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1324 Posts
September 16 2011 16:44 GMT
#55
This is one of the best posts I have ever seen! Excellent work
Fan of: IdrA, Sen, Stephano, Snute, Axlav, Hero
julianto
Profile Joined December 2010
2292 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-16 16:46:27
September 16 2011 16:44 GMT
#56
Maybe this shows that macro will consistently carry you farther than micro will? There is the saying that cheesing can get you to masters. Deezer and CombatEx are examples of this. And in the Korean server, there're 1 base plays all day.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
dave333
Profile Joined August 2010
United States915 Posts
September 16 2011 16:44 GMT
#57
It'd be interesting to compare korean SQ to NA. I imagine everything is a whole league above, with GM at idra level and then everything else correspondingly higher.
Oldfool
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia394 Posts
September 16 2011 16:44 GMT
#58
Great 500th post! Love reading data analysis, especially about SC!
"The trouble with quotes on the internet is that it is difficult to discern whether or not they are genuine." - Abraham Lincoln
ZXRP
Profile Joined August 2010
South Africa114 Posts
September 16 2011 16:45 GMT
#59
Hi Whatthefat. This is a fantastic post! Being a mathematician myself, I suppose I am a little biased here, but this type of analysis is exactly what eSports needs. In the 'real' world, professional football, soccer, rugby etc teams have professional statisticians working for them doing calculations that I would imagine are similar to this. I could see the day where Starcraft 2 teams have their own in-house statistician doing number crunching for them, comparing their players with other teams or tracking their skill over time.

I know that quite a bit of work must have gone into the above calculations, and I take my hat off to you sir. With some community pressure, we may even be able to get Blizzard to add SQ to the data available post-game (saving some of the less mathematically inclined from doing so themselves). At the very least, some popular SC2 replay archive programs should consider adding this to the data they extract from the replay file.
If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the Universe - Carl Sagan
QTIP.
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States2113 Posts
September 16 2011 16:46 GMT
#60
*Brain melts out of ears* - thank you!
"Trash Micro but Win. Its Marin." - Min Chul
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 61 62 63 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 16399
StarCastTV_EN395
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs PercivalLIVE!
herO vs Krystianer
CranKy Ducklings108
CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko272
ProTech106
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 11208
Jaedong 6007
EffOrt 2706
BeSt 1224
actioN 846
Killer 711
Soma 582
ZerO 508
Pusan 498
Horang2 406
[ Show more ]
Zeus 240
Stork 221
Rush 202
JYJ 154
Barracks 135
Mong 61
ToSsGirL 51
HiyA 42
Bale 30
Sexy 28
Shinee 27
Terrorterran 26
Sharp 23
sorry 23
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc4775
Dendi441
XaKoH 352
League of Legends
Reynor57
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_34
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft2364
crisheroes2250
Other Games
gofns60913
singsing1476
olofmeister1259
byalli560
Livibee202
OGKoka 95
ArmadaUGS43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream356
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 245
StarCraft 2
WardiTV219
Other Games
BasetradeTV185
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1767
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 29m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 29m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.