• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:48
CEST 11:48
KST 18:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7656 users

Good Manner on Ladder - Page 7

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 36 Next All
Horseballs
Profile Joined July 2011
United States721 Posts
August 17 2011 09:54 GMT
#121
On August 17 2011 18:50 The Iron Duke wrote:
I see near the start of the thread people saying how players done gg much anymore. I see that as a good thing a gg means good game it should be said after a good game not after a bad one, if you think it was bad then dont gg, just leave or what ever you feel like doing.


No, it doesn't. GG is a sign of sportsmanship, not a declaration of your opinion of how the game went.
Silentness
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States2821 Posts
August 17 2011 09:59 GMT
#122
On August 17 2011 18:54 Horseballs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 18:50 The Iron Duke wrote:
I see near the start of the thread people saying how players done gg much anymore. I see that as a good thing a gg means good game it should be said after a good game not after a bad one, if you think it was bad then dont gg, just leave or what ever you feel like doing.


No, it doesn't. GG is a sign of sportsmanship, not a declaration of your opinion of how the game went.


It can be sportsmanship or good game. I know I sometimes compliment my opponent if I lose some games. It's just honesty. I've had people compliment me sometimes. It goes both ways.

I prefer my opponent to BM though because I feel like I won the internet and ruined someone's day.
GL HF... YOLO..lololollol.
Drake
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany6146 Posts
August 17 2011 10:01 GMT
#123
most you should say is GG WP ^^ what you write sounds sarcastic so perhaps you will recive flame xD
Nb.Drake / CoL_Drake / Original Joined TL.net Tuesday, 15th of March 2005
gosuMalicE
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada676 Posts
August 17 2011 10:04 GMT
#124
If i loose i say GG, if i was impressed by his tactics/strategy I add on a WP or make a comment about it. Its really not to hard people.
I play Protoss, because lets face it, who doesn't love hyper-advanced Egyptian ninja-aliens that kill people with lightsabres attached to both arms?
SocialisT
Profile Joined July 2011
Sweden160 Posts
August 17 2011 10:04 GMT
#125
I find it really important to always be mannered, no matter the occasion. Hell, I even 'gg wp' cannon rushes. So I really support what youre doing here.
"There is nothing cooler than being proud of the things you love" - Day9
Kaiwa
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Netherlands2209 Posts
August 17 2011 10:05 GMT
#126
If I lose the other player just played better and therefore deserves a GG, even if I played utterly terrible. Always GG people
시크릿 / 씨스타 / 에이핑크 / 윤하 / 가비앤제이
Erzz
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada184 Posts
August 17 2011 10:07 GMT
#127
I just won a PvP (in high Gold league ) and my opponent said "gg nice 4gate". I didn't know whether it was actually a compliment or if he was angry or what. Good intentions but sometimes hard to get through text.
The Iron Duke
Profile Joined June 2011
United Kingdom41 Posts
August 17 2011 10:10 GMT
#128
On August 17 2011 18:54 Horseballs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 18:50 The Iron Duke wrote:
I see near the start of the thread people saying how players done gg much anymore. I see that as a good thing a gg means good game it should be said after a good game not after a bad one, if you think it was bad then dont gg, just leave or what ever you feel like doing.


No, it doesn't. GG is a sign of sportsmanship, not a declaration of your opinion of how the game went.

no...GG stands for good game...google it...i am sure it will come up, and guess what those words should mean what they say..if not its just silly

good sportsmanship it saying hf gl, anything past that is not needed, thats just a fact.

Its just silly to think some one should say good game if you they got rushed, they are annoyed about it and didnt have any fun and feel it just wasnt good. If you go in to a game hoping for a nice maco game and you get it then its good, if you want a 2 bases scrap and you get its good, if you dont get what you want then to you its not good so no need to say good game.
DarkEnergy
Profile Joined June 2011
Netherlands542 Posts
August 17 2011 10:11 GMT
#129
i usually gg and i am mannerd but some stuff like cheese flying your building to a island etc does help me gg you.
Thats right stimmed marines can outrun aeroplanes.Tasteless
IMHope
Profile Joined February 2011
Korea (South)1241 Posts
August 17 2011 10:13 GMT
#130
Good job being really mannered on ladder. Usually when I win a game my opponent proceeds to say something along the lines of "learn to play noob" lol. I try to say gg after every game that I lose, but sometimes I just quit out of frustration.
Jessica Jung, Kim Taeyeon, Kwon Yuri <333
RogerX
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
New Zealand3180 Posts
August 17 2011 10:17 GMT
#131
I always used to say "gg wp" and then ask how would I counter my opponents build and say thank you, is that counted as good manner?
Stick it up. take it up. step aside and see the world
Horseballs
Profile Joined July 2011
United States721 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 10:34:17
August 17 2011 10:33 GMT
#132
On August 17 2011 19:10 The Iron Duke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 18:54 Horseballs wrote:
On August 17 2011 18:50 The Iron Duke wrote:
I see near the start of the thread people saying how players done gg much anymore. I see that as a good thing a gg means good game it should be said after a good game not after a bad one, if you think it was bad then dont gg, just leave or what ever you feel like doing.


No, it doesn't. GG is a sign of sportsmanship, not a declaration of your opinion of how the game went.

no...GG stands for good game...google it...i am sure it will come up, and guess what those words should mean what they say..if not its just silly



Yes, technically the "gg" stands for "good game" but the sentiment isn't descriptive by any means, and to think so is just foolish
Ryder.
Profile Joined January 2011
1117 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 10:42:51
August 17 2011 10:38 GMT
#133
I always say 'gg' when beaten these days and I always 'glgl' at the start of games. I feel it does help calm the rage that can sometimes emerge when you lose, especially to stupid shit. Reading posts about people's opinions on cheese I find that people are so conceited and vain when it comes towards this kind stuff. Assuming perfect balance, if you lose to something, even if they are 'terrible', they still played better than you (regardless of whether they won because you played poorly). Often I get most annoyed when I make a mistake myself, but I find its much more constructive to direct this annoyance/anger towards myself, so that instead of blaming them I blame myself in hope that I won't make the same misake again.

I can actually remember a game a few days ago where I had a decent conversation with a bloke who was cannon rushing me (I would have beaten it except I got over confidend and cancelled my defensive forge after I thought I had held it). Tbh it annoys me more when somebody doesn't reply to my 'glgl' than when we have a friendly chat and they end up cheesing me.

Thats assuming perfect balance...Don't get me started on the 1-1-1 though...

On August 17 2011 19:10 The Iron Duke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 18:54 Horseballs wrote:
On August 17 2011 18:50 The Iron Duke wrote:
I see near the start of the thread people saying how players done gg much anymore. I see that as a good thing a gg means good game it should be said after a good game not after a bad one, if you think it was bad then dont gg, just leave or what ever you feel like doing.


No, it doesn't. GG is a sign of sportsmanship, not a declaration of your opinion of how the game went.

no...GG stands for good game...google it...i am sure it will come up, and guess what those words should mean what they say..if not its just silly

good sportsmanship it saying hf gl, anything past that is not needed, thats just a fact.

Its just silly to think some one should say good game if you they got rushed, they are annoyed about it and didnt have any fun and feel it just wasnt good. If you go in to a game hoping for a nice maco game and you get it then its good, if you want a 2 bases scrap and you get its good, if you dont get what you want then to you its not good so no need to say good game.

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom
Koshi
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Belgium38799 Posts
August 17 2011 10:38 GMT
#134
I never leave a game without saying gg.

I salute you.
I had a good night of sleep.
Cyus
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom2 Posts
August 17 2011 10:39 GMT
#135
I always say gg♥ when I lose a game. There's no confusion as to how I feel with the heart there.
FataLe
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand4560 Posts
August 17 2011 10:43 GMT
#136
On August 17 2011 19:10 The Iron Duke wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 18:54 Horseballs wrote:
On August 17 2011 18:50 The Iron Duke wrote:
I see near the start of the thread people saying how players done gg much anymore. I see that as a good thing a gg means good game it should be said after a good game not after a bad one, if you think it was bad then dont gg, just leave or what ever you feel like doing.


No, it doesn't. GG is a sign of sportsmanship, not a declaration of your opinion of how the game went.

no...GG stands for good game...google it...i am sure it will come up, and guess what those words should mean what they say..if not its just silly

good sportsmanship it saying hf gl, anything past that is not needed, thats just a fact.

Its just silly to think some one should say good game if you they got rushed, they are annoyed about it and didnt have any fun and feel it just wasnt good. If you go in to a game hoping for a nice maco game and you get it then its good, if you want a 2 bases scrap and you get its good, if you dont get what you want then to you its not good so no need to say good game.

gg in longform is good game. But it's not used to describe how the game went in most cases but a showcase of sportsmanship. You're being very closed minded if you think 'good game' is the only meaning to gg.
hi. big fan.
Arnfasta
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States183 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-17 10:47:37
August 17 2011 10:43 GMT
#137
Oh Rage. How ironic your name is in this context. Love the idea and I'll certainly join in (when I actually get to play again TT). I do think it's fair to say that for best results, wording is extremely important since it's very easy to interpret "nice banshee harass " to be sarcastic. >.<

This is such a small thing, but I love the idea of making the ladder a more friendly place from the ground up. [note: I don't necessarily mean more n00b friendly or easier, just a place where you can have a good game and be respectful rather than lash out at your opponent with the rage of the seven seas]

And to the GG discussion going on right now:

Personally, I always GG but I do it because I know I lost. It's one of the things I love about Starcraft: when I lose, I made the mistake. There was no ref making a bad call or a teammate who screwed up, it was me. So while GG has a literal meaning, the conotation I associate with gg is: Congratulations, you beat me. I concede. (and it generally means well played as well; because regardless of the mistakes, they were able to beat me, so they played better than I did).

Regardless of whether you gg or not though, I don't think it hurts anybody to have a little more respect and a little less rage on the ladder; which is what Rage's post is about.
sevia
Profile Joined May 2010
United States954 Posts
August 17 2011 10:46 GMT
#138
I don't really see much point in going through all the motions on ladder. In a tournament game it's good to have some respect for your opponent and the tournament, especially if it's offline, but ladder is basically just mindless practice.

Most games that I play go from start to finish with nothing said at all, and it's kind of nice. The only time I ever bother saying something is if they use some really interesting build or timing, I'll ask them what they did and maybe some advice on stopping it. I gladly help someone else out if they have a question for me too.

Complimenting your opponent and being excessively manner is nice, but it's only ladder.
최지성 Bomber || 김동환 viOLet || 고병재 GuMiho
Arnfasta
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States183 Posts
August 17 2011 10:49 GMT
#139
On August 17 2011 19:46 sevia wrote:
I don't really see much point in going through all the motions on ladder. In a tournament game it's good to have some respect for your opponent and the tournament, especially if it's offline, but ladder is basically just mindless practice.

Most games that I play go from start to finish with nothing said at all, and it's kind of nice. The only time I ever bother saying something is if they use some really interesting build or timing, I'll ask them what they did and maybe some advice on stopping it. I gladly help someone else out if they have a question for me too.

Complimenting your opponent and being excessively manner is nice, but it's only ladder.



Sure, it's certainly not a requirement that we all need to be manner but it doesn't seem like a bad thing to have a couple more people compliment you on your play when you win, as opposed to threaten your life and the health of your dog.
Fatze
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Germany1342 Posts
August 17 2011 10:51 GMT
#140
nice to see some examples for good manner its a rare thing these days :D:D
Comfort from bottles, cheers from beers the guitars are our weapons and we know how to kill!
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 36 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 12m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 76
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 10354
Rain 3257
soO 430
BeSt 395
Stork 386
Soulkey 344
Soma 316
Rush 224
firebathero 216
Barracks 157
[ Show more ]
Sexy 82
Shinee 44
Killer 33
Shine 24
sorry 24
HiyA 22
Sharp 20
Sacsri 18
hero 16
yabsab 16
Hm[arnc] 15
Terrorterran 10
zelot 6
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc5291
League of Legends
JimRising 447
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King130
Other Games
gofns34305
singsing1090
Pyrionflax197
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV192
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 3
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 51
• 3DClanTV 46
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV156
League of Legends
• Jankos2681
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
12m
CranKy Ducklings5
Patches Events
5h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 12m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 12m
OSC
13h 12m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.