• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:01
CEST 14:01
KST 21:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9018 users

[May] SC2 General Discussion - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
heist
Profile Joined April 2011
United States720 Posts
May 22 2011 21:44 GMT
#101
What exactly is the reason for the disparity between real-time and game-time. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if in-game time followed real time?
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
May 23 2011 00:00 GMT
#102
On May 23 2011 06:44 heist wrote:
What exactly is the reason for the disparity between real-time and game-time. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if in-game time followed real time?

Because all games are played on the faster setting
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
Nidoa
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada239 Posts
May 23 2011 00:39 GMT
#103
On May 23 2011 09:00 Blasterion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2011 06:44 heist wrote:
What exactly is the reason for the disparity between real-time and game-time. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if in-game time followed real time?

Because all games are played on the faster setting


Of course they are, the real question would be, why isnt the speed of the units on faster, the speed of the units on normal? So then you can play on normal, still with decent speed, and have only one timer instead of 2.
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
May 23 2011 00:43 GMT
#104
On May 23 2011 09:39 Nidoa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2011 09:00 Blasterion wrote:
On May 23 2011 06:44 heist wrote:
What exactly is the reason for the disparity between real-time and game-time. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if in-game time followed real time?

Because all games are played on the faster setting


Of course they are, the real question would be, why isnt the speed of the units on faster, the speed of the units on normal? So then you can play on normal, still with decent speed, and have only one timer instead of 2.

Because then the speed normal will become slower, there will be no faster, and if there was a faster after that it'd become the new standard of normal which faster than the normal of the faster of the normal.
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
springtree
Profile Joined August 2010
74 Posts
May 23 2011 08:20 GMT
#105
On May 17 2011 13:34 SDream wrote:
I was waiting the May thread to talk about it:

Cross-region play could never come for the same reasons Latin America region is segregated from North America region.

So, if allowing players to get into other regions for free isn't an option, then I ask, is it possible to allow players to play international games without allowing them to play in another region ladder?

Let's say that they make an global/international "region" (just like the public test "region"), but that region doesn't have a ladder, it's for customs only. What bad effect could it have to Blizzard "plans"? I think it could be a solution and maybe we should ask for it more firmly. Futhermore, it would be great to see an ultimate league that have all grandmasters from around the world fighting for the title of "Top X in the world". Then, we'd have a region that only the best of each region would have access to the ladder, so people wouldn't quit their region for the "international" one, but they could also use it for customs.

I think that this is a cool idea and I wanted to share here so people could maybe make it even better and maybe one day Blizzard will actually put it in practice perhaps? ^^


(Disclaimer: I haven't read every single post in the May thread to find out if people said this already, so forgive if I'm repeating something.)

Alternative idea: Blizzard could sell SC2 "servers". Maybe it sounds nuts, but basically the server itself would act like a client in that it authenticates to Blizz servers, but anyone playing on said server would play with the latency connecting to that server. The biggest issue would obviously be that people would hack the server in no time and have a piracy server/client combo but to most people, ladder is the major reason why they play the game so I doubt it'd hurt Blizz all that much.

In return, it would allow LAN's in the pro scene, and it would even make it possible to set up servers "between realms". A server in between EU/KR, KR/NA, EU/NA would give, if simply placed in the right spot, give identical latency to the players, evening out the playing ground internationally. I think this is one of the most important problems in the international community right now.
斗 シ ツ ♪ ♡
Nidoa
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada239 Posts
May 23 2011 10:46 GMT
#106
On May 23 2011 09:43 Blasterion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2011 09:39 Nidoa wrote:
On May 23 2011 09:00 Blasterion wrote:
On May 23 2011 06:44 heist wrote:
What exactly is the reason for the disparity between real-time and game-time. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if in-game time followed real time?

Because all games are played on the faster setting


Of course they are, the real question would be, why isnt the speed of the units on faster, the speed of the units on normal? So then you can play on normal, still with decent speed, and have only one timer instead of 2.

Because then the speed normal will become slower, there will be no faster, and if there was a faster after that it'd become the new standard of normal which faster than the normal of the faster of the normal.


That made absolutely no sense to me. All i'm saying is, the only reason faster is standard is because normal is so slow (and cuz Blizz made it default, too, but probably for that). And then you wonder why they made normal that slow.
Blasterion
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
China10272 Posts
May 23 2011 13:14 GMT
#107
On May 23 2011 19:46 Nidoa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2011 09:43 Blasterion wrote:
On May 23 2011 09:39 Nidoa wrote:
On May 23 2011 09:00 Blasterion wrote:
On May 23 2011 06:44 heist wrote:
What exactly is the reason for the disparity between real-time and game-time. Wouldn't it be a lot simpler if in-game time followed real time?

Because all games are played on the faster setting


Of course they are, the real question would be, why isnt the speed of the units on faster, the speed of the units on normal? So then you can play on normal, still with decent speed, and have only one timer instead of 2.

Because then the speed normal will become slower, there will be no faster, and if there was a faster after that it'd become the new standard of normal which faster than the normal of the faster of the normal.


That made absolutely no sense to me. All i'm saying is, the only reason faster is standard is because normal is so slow (and cuz Blizz made it default, too, but probably for that). And then you wonder why they made normal that slow.

Now that I read that myself my head starts hurting... too much to drink yesterday apparently
[TLNY]Mahjong Club Thread
annYeong(o11)
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Canada784 Posts
May 23 2011 14:41 GMT
#108
I think the marine model should be bigger.

It'd help nerf marines a touch in the early game, because you'd be less able to concentrate your DPS, important for things like ramp busts and whatnot. It'd also give them a buff in the late game when things like splash from tanks and storm needs to be taken into consideration, bigger marines means less of them splashed.


Also It's fucking ridiculous that "faster" game speed can't have a normal clock when 99% of starcraft games are played on it.
Founder of the KiWiKaKi Fanclub: teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=188537 my keyboard is like half broken. like terran. please ignore typos, thanks
Deleuze
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United Kingdom2102 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-23 16:11:23
May 23 2011 15:49 GMT
#109
Blizzard believe 'faster' to be the optimal speed for SC2.

But labelling it as 'faster' I think is done from a combined desire to:

- use 'normal' in the Campaign as a benchmark (appealing to the single player market)

- make tournemant play seem more 'epic' (i.e. a 15 min game being just 10 mins irl (or whatever...))

- curb users' ethusiasm for choosing (or desiring) the maximum speed available even when this leads to a sub-optimal gaming experience

It is only on custom maps where users can actually control game speed in multiplayer - Blizzard control it in laddering - and tourney organisers choose 'faster' in their games.

'Faster' is THE speed SC2 is supposed to be played at, Blizzard just seem to choose to measure it in such a way as to mould our relationship to online play in order to appeal to offline as well as online players/viewers.

Obviously, I may be missing something, if anyone has a particularly insightful point that I've missed - are know of a publicised explanation from Blizz as to why this is the case I'd love to hear it.

xxx

EDIT: And the TL searches I've done only brings up the measurement of game time, not the reasons why it is called faster (OK there was one thread but it went badly off topic and was locked)
“An image of thought called philosophy has been formed historically and it effectively stops people from thinking.” ― Gilles Deleuze, Dialogues II
figq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
12519 Posts
May 23 2011 19:05 GMT
#110
NASL racial stats show SC2 is quite balanced at the moment. I'm impressed!
http://www.nasl.tv/Statistics
[image loading]
If you stand next to my head, you can hear the ocean. - Day[9]
ishboh
Profile Joined October 2010
United States954 Posts
May 23 2011 19:33 GMT
#111
On May 24 2011 04:05 figq wrote:
NASL racial stats show SC2 is quite balanced at the moment. I'm impressed!
http://www.nasl.tv/Statistics
[image loading]

hmmm, even an advantage for zergs! which isn't that much of a surprise to me as there aren't any undeserving zergs in the league imo. whereas there are some 'fame' players for other races (mainly protoss)
meadbert
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States681 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-23 20:28:39
May 23 2011 20:23 GMT
#112
On May 24 2011 04:33 ishboh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 24 2011 04:05 figq wrote:
NASL racial stats show SC2 is quite balanced at the moment. I'm impressed!
http://www.nasl.tv/Statistics
[image loading]

hmmm, even an advantage for zergs! which isn't that much of a surprise to me as there aren't any undeserving zergs in the league imo. whereas there are some 'fame' players for other races (mainly protoss)

I don't want to start balance discussion or even a discussion over who the best players are, but the best Zergs in world are something like Nestea, July, Idra, Losira, Kyrix, Fruit Dealer and maybe Dongraegu. Of those seven, two are in NASL.

Meanwhile the best Protoss are like MC, Naniwa, Ace and Kiwikaki. all of whom are in NASL. Trickster and Inca are probably the best Toss not in NASL.

Again, I am no authority on "best players" and I do not claim any of those lists are super accurate and have no desire to debate it, but I do dispute the idea that the NASL got the best Zerg players in the world, but failed to get top Protoss talent.
PtatoChip
Profile Joined May 2011
Denmark3 Posts
May 23 2011 21:28 GMT
#113
Hey guys.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I want to know what race that fits me the best.
I know you properly be like: "Dude, what do want to play, play that!"

but the problem is that i kinda want to play all races.

- I have bad micro( i have to improve that anyways)
- I have bad multitasking (being in combat, building units, teching, etc. at the same time, )
- I am good at early aggression.
- I am good at counter-"building".

What race would you people recommend for me?
"knowledge + practice = skill"
galivet
Profile Joined February 2011
288 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-23 21:44:10
May 23 2011 21:42 GMT
#114
I think that the number of ladder points awarded for a match should in part depend on the length of a match (up to a cap). Phrased another way, a match that is currently worth 12 points regardless of how long it lasts could be worth one point every 1.5 minutes up to the maximum of 12 points for an 18 minute game. The point would be that whether you win with a fast all-in or whether you grind out a longer macro game, a winning streak that lasts 3 hours earns you roughly the same amount of ladder points regardless of the number of matches you fit into that window of time.

The core of my justification is that long macro games feel harder-won than games I win with a quick all-in. If I go on an a spree of early-game all-ins, I can win 30 matches in a night of laddering -- that's a lot of ladder points. On the other hand, if I decide to play a macro-oriented style I only really have time to fit in maybe 8 matches in an evening.

To win a match with a quick all-in, you create one advantage at a single point in a match and then the match ends. To win a match with macro, you have accrue many advantages over the course of the match to eventually overpower your opponent. If I all-in ten games in a row, I make ten demonstrations of skill. If I play one macro game where I grind out ten small advantages to win the match, I think that demonstrates a comparable level of skill. The two styles should be able to ladder up at the same rate.

As it is I feel that the way that the ladder currently works over-encourages the fast all-in style of play. But that's not the style that makes for the most entertaining games.
asperger
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden1310 Posts
May 23 2011 22:29 GMT
#115
On May 24 2011 06:28 PtatoChip wrote:
Hey guys.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I want to know what race that fits me the best.
I know you properly be like: "Dude, what do want to play, play that!"

but the problem is that i kinda want to play all races.

- I have bad micro( i have to improve that anyways)
- I have bad multitasking (being in combat, building units, teching, etc. at the same time, )
- I am good at early aggression.
- I am good at counter-"building".

What race would you people recommend for me?

The only recommendation I can give you is to pick a race and stick to it no matter what until you are at least Diamond. I have a friend who never settles for a race, and just goes by flavor of the month, and I think it's very hard to improve macro and mechanics significantly if you don't sit down and focus on one race (which shows when you look at how my friend has been doing). I guess motivation and learning methods are more important, but I definitely think one race is the way to go for now.
Nestea | Puzzle | DongRaeGu | YongHwa
Hikari
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
1914 Posts
May 23 2011 22:48 GMT
#116
On May 24 2011 06:28 PtatoChip wrote:
Hey guys.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I want to know what race that fits me the best.
I know you properly be like: "Dude, what do want to play, play that!"

but the problem is that i kinda want to play all races.

- I have bad micro( i have to improve that anyways)
- I have bad multitasking (being in combat, building units, teching, etc. at the same time, )
- I am good at early aggression.
- I am good at counter-"building".

What race would you people recommend for me?



Try out each race on the Macro or Die maps. Pretty much every single race require micro and multitasking, and have options for early aggression.
meadbert
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States681 Posts
May 24 2011 01:16 GMT
#117
On May 24 2011 06:28 PtatoChip wrote:
Hey guys.
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I want to know what race that fits me the best.
I know you properly be like: "Dude, what do want to play, play that!"

but the problem is that i kinda want to play all races.

- I have bad micro( i have to improve that anyways)
- I have bad multitasking (being in combat, building units, teching, etc. at the same time, )
- I am good at early aggression.
- I am good at counter-"building".

What race would you people recommend for me?

I am not sure how you can be good at early aggression while also being bad at micro. In general I would say Zerg is the race for you, since Zerg tends to be a more reacting race, thus it will play to your strength of counter-"building." Also, Protoss and Terran probably require more micro, particularly in the early game.

If you like early aggression then I would say try to get good at Terran since Terran's mule mechanic allows it to have relatively strong one base all-ins, but this would almost surely require getting good at stutter step micro so you would need to improve your micro to do this well.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-24 05:49:01
May 24 2011 05:46 GMT
#118
REAPER CHANGE - undocumented

Did anyone notice?
Reapers now take 2 slots in Medivacs instead of 1.

They are 1 food unit, and are rarely used. What is the point of this?!?!


That made absolutely no sense to me. All i'm saying is, the only reason faster is standard is because normal is so slow (and cuz Blizz made it default, too, but probably for that). And then you wonder why they made normal that slow.


There's an incentive to always play at a faster speed, because it takes more "skill".

So if our Faster now would become the new Normal, the new Faster would be faster than our current Faster, and the cycle could repeat.

But I think another reason is simply because of the Campaign thing.

Having the timer be the same as real life time would be nice, but all the timings in the game are based off of the game time.

I think they should like replace all the times in the game (units, structures, etc.) to display the real time, according to the game speed. Doesn't sound hard, but maybe it is.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Gooey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States944 Posts
May 24 2011 05:58 GMT
#119
On May 24 2011 14:46 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
REAPER CHANGE - undocumented

Did anyone notice?
Reapers now take 2 slots in Medivacs instead of 1.

They are 1 food unit, and are rarely used. What is the point of this?!?!


Huh? You can still load up 8 reapers into a medivac. Even went in game just to make sure, and I can still load up 8.
www.twitch.tv/Thatgooey
Gigazing
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia15 Posts
May 24 2011 08:07 GMT
#120
Hey guys i just thought of a cool trick in ZvZ that with a bit of luck and micro, MIGHT be useful in infestor vs infestor battles.

During an engagement, burrow an infestor and send it to the back of your opponents army.
Un-burrow and make it neural parasite one of your opponents infestors, then make that infestor neural parasite another enemy infestor and so on, until youve got one big "neural chain" of infestors. What this does is waste alot of energy which means less fungal growths on you!

Of course at the moment, this is all purely theorycraft. i doubt itd work in a high level game, but its just something to keep in mind. itd be fun to use against noobs!

Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV397
Rex75
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko370
ProTech130
Rex 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32902
Hyuk 1200
Jaedong 928
actioN 572
Soma 466
Horang2 385
Soulkey 338
BeSt 320
Larva 296
Mini 268
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 259
Light 218
910 214
Stork 209
Last 176
Snow 144
Rush 138
ggaemo 103
Pusan 91
ZerO 73
Mind 49
Killer 41
Mong 38
Creator 35
Shinee 33
hero 29
Bale 27
Sharp 26
sorry 26
Free 25
yabsab 16
HiyA 12
Noble 12
Sacsri 9
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7900
Dendi436
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1551
markeloff106
kRYSTAL_54
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2808
Khaldor1009
Other Games
gofns32021
singsing1621
B2W.Neo319
XBOCT300
DeMusliM276
Pyrionflax263
byalli80
Mew2King66
ArmadaUGS43
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 99
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH325
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1409
Other Games
• WagamamaTV173
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
59m
The PondCast
21h 59m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.