• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:38
CEST 21:38
KST 04:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8561 users

How to Get More Fun (and Less Rage) Out of SC2 - Page 4

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
QuothTheRaven
Profile Joined December 2008
United States5524 Posts
August 08 2010 00:31 GMT
#61
Wonderful post. I've had this experience a few times with BroodWar, and it's really amazing.
. . . nevermore
VelRa_G
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Canada304 Posts
August 08 2010 00:57 GMT
#62
This is a great post. It articulates everything I thought I knew, but didn't have the presence of mind to follow through. Having it out in the open will certainly help.
Nuda Veritas
TheCabDriver
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada159 Posts
August 08 2010 01:01 GMT
#63
I know everyone already said this, but it's a great post. I noticed that when I incorporate some of the things you wrote, playing is much more fun and rewarding. Kind of just chill out instead of raging "I MUST WIN RARRR"
Trippin off the beat kinda, drippin off the meat grinder
MICHELLE
Profile Joined June 2010
Korea (South)199 Posts
August 08 2010 01:08 GMT
#64
I'm really sorry but I have to disagree with most of your points, If you take the game a little bit more seriously than a casual player, most of them dosen't make any sence.
Artosis, he's like that moss that grows on a tree that lets you know where the sun is
Kao
Profile Joined July 2010
24 Posts
August 08 2010 01:16 GMT
#65
This explain all about Idra?
Synwave
Profile Joined July 2009
United States2803 Posts
August 08 2010 01:22 GMT
#66
I wanted to explain this earlier but I had to get going for something.
I felt this on an extreme level towards the end of beta. I was playing random and drew a pvp mirror on burning sands. He 4gated and I 3gated robo after some initial equal zealot losses in the mid.
He kept pressure on my front enough to safely destroy my back entrance, I was on the ropes and this flow just took over. I microed WAY beyond my ability and basically flattened his push, countered and destroyed his base in such a dominating fashion it was like a pro said "move over kid lemme handle this."
It went from this tug of war to such one sided stomp even the other guy mentioned surprise. We talked afterwards and I told him I just felt myself playing way above my normal ability and he said he saw it clearly (we were chatting while watching the replay at the same time) when it happened.
Interesting stuff. Now if only they would bottle that feeling!
♞Nerdrage is the cause of global warming♞
Reborn8u
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1761 Posts
August 08 2010 01:23 GMT
#67
So true, I've hit that flow plenty of times, it's when I play relaxed. I first started to realize a lot of things he's sayingin the op when I started watching my own replays. I asked myself "How come I am seeing all this stuff now and not while I'm in game?" It would always seem like I was 1 step ahead of myself while I was watching the replay. Then it hit me, it was the stress and anxiety I was feeling while playing that was slowing me down. Once I focused on playing relaxed every aspect of my game improved slightly. Decision making is where I felt I improved the most. A calm mind will ALWAYS serve you better you just have to be calm yet fast in Starcraft. I think the part where the op talks about the learning curve of managing more bases will help a lot of people.
:)
Synwave
Profile Joined July 2009
United States2803 Posts
August 08 2010 01:25 GMT
#68
Yeah I can get there pretty fast doing kendo but damned if Im very good at finding that sweet spot of relaxed readiness in sc2 very often.
♞Nerdrage is the cause of global warming♞
friendlybus
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia78 Posts
August 08 2010 03:17 GMT
#69
I reached flow in a competitive FPS. I really think the added pressures of competitive play really help your game. I'd never really bothered to /try/ before that. I just looked for a win with the least effort, I never bothered to 'dig deep'. Not that I'm good or anything, I just really like seeing how much I can really put out and not how little I can put in and still get wins. Ever since then, I know I can actually try and succeed, that knowledge is like a road that leads to perfect flow and I can put in as much as I want to. Though I keep losing games cause I'm too lazy wtb some shit tourney I can pour myself into lol.
woot
Llame
Profile Joined June 2010
Denmark5 Posts
August 08 2010 03:42 GMT
#70
Great post, really helped me alot.. Alot of the times when i play, i get all nervous.
Like, if someone banshee-cloak rushes me while im being a total noob and not scouting enough, i panic. I build like 20 cannons/turrets/spore crawlers(if not in lair tech yet). This helped me not overreact. :D
SCV ready to go, sir!
ImperialFenix
Profile Joined June 2010
30 Posts
August 08 2010 04:02 GMT
#71
Like the post. It talks about some subjects I agree with, but then again I'm just playing the game for fun. Playing while tense, nervous, and constantly thinking about stats isn't my ideal enjoyment.
donut
Profile Joined August 2010
United States3 Posts
August 08 2010 04:04 GMT
#72
flow


ugh i hate that insurance bitch, i hope i never get flow.
Orangu
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada198 Posts
August 08 2010 05:02 GMT
#73
I'd like to add to your conclusion about "flow" and how to achieve it, since im pretty sure a large component comes from the fact that our brains are hierarchically structured, the sense of lose of consciousness, no longer having to directly think about how to do the things you want to do and instead having things seemingly just happen on screen, comes from this or atleast in part. Pretty much over time as we repetitively practice the same thing over and over again we slowly no longer actually need to consciously control what were are doing since lower brain areas actually becomes trained to perform tasks that our conscious decides we want to do. This is why the pros are able to do a bazzillion things at once with almost super human APM. They get to the point where they just see whats going on and their brain carriers out the 1000's of things it already knows it needs to do to win, automatically and efficiently. This also means practice and time are pretty much everything, but like you said ordered practice with purpose is of course going to be the most efficient, since you can only learn so much so fast, which will make you get better faster. For the ragers you just need to realize things take time and practice and learn to just take a step back and let the game flow out of you instead of trying to force it since thats just not good for your health. Train your brain and then let it do the work for you and then things will be sweeeeet.
THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY!
unit
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2621 Posts
August 08 2010 05:12 GMT
#74
this should be front paged imo ^___^ great read and might really actually help me AND a lot of users on tl.net if front paged so everyone can see it
professorben
Profile Joined May 2010
United States15 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-08 06:38:26
August 08 2010 06:38 GMT
#75
OP gets it. He would do well in poker.
Paperscraps
Profile Joined March 2010
United States639 Posts
August 08 2010 07:04 GMT
#76
I'm a big picture kind of guy and love what this post is about. People always seem to get caught up in winning, their "league" and how many points they have. True fun (flow) comes from within not from things on the outside.
"Because in the end, the only way we can measure the significance of our own lives is by valuing the lives of others.” - David Gale
greenkid
Profile Joined May 2010
114 Posts
August 08 2010 07:12 GMT
#77
hahaha i loved this post XD made me lol pretty hard but it has a true message to all players IdrA should read this even though hes my zerg idol i will admit he rages alot
Nyovne
Profile Joined March 2006
Netherlands19141 Posts
August 08 2010 11:27 GMT
#78
Really enjoyed this, thank you very much for the read!
ModeratorFor remember, that in the end, some are born to live, others born to die. I belong to those last, born to burn, born to cry. For I shall remain alone... forsaken.
TymerA
Profile Joined July 2010
Netherlands759 Posts
August 08 2010 11:35 GMT
#79
Very useful read idd. and i lol'd at
LACK OF AWARENESS OF BIOLOGICAL NEEDS
nice.
RandomAccount#49059
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States2140 Posts
August 08 2010 13:34 GMT
#80
--- Nuked ---
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 535
ProTech156
UpATreeSC 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16973
Calm 3387
Mini 429
Mind 82
910 62
soO 46
Dota 2
Gorgc5545
canceldota60
Counter-Strike
fl0m2874
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3966
Other Games
FrodaN979
Beastyqt515
Liquid`Hasu313
Khaldor249
olofmeister187
Livibee184
C9.Mang0170
IndyStarCraft 123
ZombieGrub66
QueenE50
BRAT_OK 23
MindelVK6
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 24
• 80smullet 22
• FirePhoenix15
• Michael_bg 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2924
• WagamamaTV352
League of Legends
• Nemesis1648
Other Games
• imaqtpie892
• Shiphtur689
• Scarra413
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 22m
Big Brain Bouts
14h 22m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
21h 22m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 22m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
Patches Events
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.