• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:30
CEST 12:30
KST 19:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War445.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9292 users

How to Get More Fun (and Less Rage) Out of SC2 - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
August 07 2010 18:21 GMT
#21

9. ***LACK OF AWARENESS OF BIOLOGICAL NEEDS

This isn't something to strive for, more of a side-effect of being in flow.


This doesn't sound healthy o.o.

But yeah, awesome post <3.
Too Busy to Troll!
Bair
Profile Joined May 2010
United States698 Posts
August 07 2010 18:32 GMT
#22
Amazing. I can vouch for it though. Played a terran who was going marines + siege tanks and I had no banelings. He was not a good player, but I had more satisfaction from sniping his tanks with speedlings than any other victory that night.
In Roaches I Rust.
DennyR
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany379 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-07 18:34:59
August 07 2010 18:34 GMT
#23
thats exactly what Iam working on at the moment. I havent played rts games before sc2. I used to play counterstrike competitively and I was able to massgame but sc2 really skrewed me physically in beta phase1. It was hard for me to play more than 3-5games a day in ladder but I had no problem to play 50games a day with my friends or watch vods or day9 all day long.
I usually was nervous and even shaking in the first 5mins of the game, I simply couldnt handle it. And I felt exhausted after my games.


When I started to focus on getting better instead of winning games I started to enjoy playing this game in laddermatches and I am now able to play 10-20 a day without problem.

Now Iam playing with music and Iam able to sing the songs loud while Iam playing, before I couldnt stop thinking about the game and about winning and maybe what my friends think when Iam losing all day long and stuff.

5mins into the game I feel more often then not like Iam in the zone. I knew how it felt to be in the zone from counter strike, soccer, basketball or simply everything I had done to this point but I never was in the zone in starcraft2 before.
I simply dont make the mistakes I was doing before. I always knew the rules of the game, like never get supplyblocked or build workers all the time but I wasnt able to do it ingame... now I am and it feels great to play this wonderfull game!
dolpiff
Profile Joined June 2010
France300 Posts
August 07 2010 18:37 GMT
#24
thanks for the wise words

on a side note where can i find that unit tester you mention?
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
August 07 2010 18:49 GMT
#25
Sometimes it's ok to rage,
literally 10 minutes ago i played a mtahc agianst a terran player and we traded bases, I had a larger force and i knew i could win, I a-moved my army to were his main force was and while i was focussing on taking out his island expo i didn't notice my army split into "3" not 2, 3 smaller groups and were picked off by my opponent. How would you feel in this situation?
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
Pablols
Profile Joined August 2009
Chile519 Posts
August 07 2010 18:51 GMT
#26
thats very good, I need to work on not caring about my ranking and winrate. When im doing well, the next session I dont play a lot because im scared of losing points
Afterhours
Profile Joined March 2010
United States125 Posts
August 07 2010 19:36 GMT
#27
Awesome post.
http://i.imgur.com/pHvpBxx.gif
Dissolute
Profile Joined July 2010
United Kingdom12 Posts
August 07 2010 19:41 GMT
#28
Great post, well thought out and totally true!
Floydian
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United Kingdom374 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-07 19:55:32
August 07 2010 19:54 GMT
#29
Dude *awesome* post. Some of the really made me reflect on how I approach the game. I'm one of those many people who often end up finding the game more frustrating then fun, and never really improving. It's why I ended up treating broodwar as a spectator sport. I loved watching it, but playing it was an ordeal.

This needs to be front paged.
UniversalSnip
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
9871 Posts
August 07 2010 20:09 GMT
#30
What a good post. I'm pleased to say over the past few months this is how I've learned to approach quake and it's really been improving my game.

9. ***LACK OF AWARENESS OF BIOLOGICAL NEEDS

This isn't something to strive for, more of a side-effect of being in flow.


I think you've misinterpreted this. Don't play when you're hungry or need to clear your bodily wastes, basically.
"How fucking dare you defile the sanctity of DotA with your fucking casual plebian terminology? May the curse of Gaben and Volvo be upon you. le filthy casual."
Confuse
Profile Joined October 2009
2238 Posts
August 07 2010 20:14 GMT
#31
Really nice post, I like a lot of the things written here, even from a philosophical view point, its good to apply to any activity. I hope you write more in the future!
If we fear what we do not understand, then why is ignorance bliss?
Synwave
Profile Joined July 2009
United States2803 Posts
August 07 2010 20:19 GMT
#32
Nice read and great observations especially as they apply to taking an activity very seriously.
Here's to a quality post!
♞Nerdrage is the cause of global warming♞
vyyye
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden3917 Posts
August 07 2010 20:24 GMT
#33
I love the lengths people go to explain how to improve/enjoy at Starcraft. I'll never understand it.
Smurfz
Profile Joined May 2008
United States327 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-07 20:50:38
August 07 2010 20:30 GMT
#34
I know this sensation, I never really knew there was a psychological name or explanation for it (I've heard the term "flow", but always thought it was just a saying) Thank you OP.

When I'm playing late into the night, my mind isn't dabbling onto other things at all. Just me and the game. My focus is 100% on the game, and I feel really optimistic about the game even if the game in no way at all has a clear winner yet. Then after I'm done playing, my mind won't stop thinking about the game, and I sort of 'act' like I'm playing starcraft, trying to do everything as efficiently as possibile, just stupid little things like throwing something away while simultaneously grabbing something off my desk in a pretty rapid fashion.

In contrast, I have games where I'm very focused on the real world, and I make huge stupid mistakes ;(

Anyways, I'm no psychologist, but I feel like trying too hard to get into your flow will actually be counter-productive. That's mostly just talking out of my ass but that's what I feel would happen to me personally.
JoKeR[X]
Profile Joined August 2010
8 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-07 20:49:18
August 07 2010 20:49 GMT
#35
This post reminds me of a Michael Jordan quote:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
-Michael Jordan

Why I think win/lose is a crap shoot. Have fun either way, your loses are the games you learn the most from and are what will get you farther.
retro-noob
Profile Joined June 2010
110 Posts
August 07 2010 21:26 GMT
#36
I'm glad some of you enjoyed it, and thanks for saying so.

Also, I caught the jokes about this post on the TL attack cast today, so I've got that going for me.
bendez
Profile Joined February 2010
Canada283 Posts
August 07 2010 21:29 GMT
#37
Or play terran.
chekthehek
Profile Joined May 2010
United States279 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-07 21:37:26
August 07 2010 21:34 GMT
#38
excellent read

id like to add, before every game, i do 10 push ups. this isnt because "i want to get muscle while playing starcraft man", its because it makes me feel good. when i am just reading the forums, and feel like playing ladder i wont feel very up, but you know just doing 10 quick push ups for about 10 seconds, it gets my heart beating and i feel great
retro-noob
Profile Joined June 2010
110 Posts
August 07 2010 21:38 GMT
#39
On August 08 2010 06:29 bendez wrote:
Or play terran.


Nice.
Viz_Ru
Profile Joined March 2009
Canada13 Posts
August 07 2010 21:39 GMT
#40
Amazing post. Flow kicks ass!!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Big Brain Bouts
19:00
#129
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
RotterdaM459
IndyStarCraft 95
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 459
Lowko257
IndyStarCraft 95
MindelVK 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 4874
Stork 2418
Horang2 466
Soulkey 367
Jaedong 344
Larva 268
Zeus 255
Soma 246
Mini 227
BeSt 208
[ Show more ]
sorry 102
Mind 79
Last 67
Hyun 63
Pusan 62
ZerO 60
Sexy 48
Shinee 34
soO 32
scan(afreeca) 24
ajuk12(nOOB) 17
Sacsri 10
zelot 8
Dota 2
XcaliburYe313
canceldota60
Gorgc3
League of Legends
JimRising 440
Other Games
gofns40569
singsing2057
Coldzera 696
Happy373
byalli296
Pyrionflax202
ZerO(Twitch)12
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV217
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 31
• StrangeGG 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV299
• lizZardDota2221
League of Legends
• Jankos3698
Upcoming Events
Online Event
1h 30m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 30m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 30m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 30m
Patches Events
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.