• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:38
CEST 21:38
KST 04:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8561 users

How to Get More Fun (and Less Rage) Out of SC2 - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
LittLeD
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden7973 Posts
August 07 2010 21:42 GMT
#41
Liquid`Tyler wrote:
I think Liquid needs to hire this guy. E-sports psychologist!


This basicly applies for all sports, not just e-sports. Still, awesome post! (I believe i've seen it somewhere before tho in some science magazine)


☆Grubby ☆| Tod|DeMusliM|ThorZaiN|SaSe|Moon|Mana| ☆HerO ☆
retro-noob
Profile Joined June 2010
110 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-07 21:46:02
August 07 2010 21:42 GMT
#42
On August 08 2010 06:34 chekthehek wrote:
excellent read

id like to add, before every game, i do 10 push ups. this isnt because "i want to get muscle while playing starcraft man", its because it makes me feel good. when i am just reading the forums, and feel like playing ladder i wont feel very up, but you know just doing 10 quick push ups for about 10 seconds, it gets my heart beating and i feel great


As long as I'm being the e-sports psychologist, exercise is a great way to improve concentration and ability to focus. Many top chess players have rigorous exercise routines for that reason. So that's part of why you feel great after those quick pushups.
biology]major
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2253 Posts
August 07 2010 21:47 GMT
#43
amazing post
Question.?
Jenslyn87
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark527 Posts
August 07 2010 21:49 GMT
#44
I agree this was a good post, but there is just one problem. I think on some level and with varying degrees of intellectual depth, we understand these concepts and guidelines and know that optimally, we shouldn't play for the win, and we should just strive to improve. The problem is not acknowledging, but traslating the knowledge into a positive mental state. That's where I fail anyways.

I completely agree with all points, but I still rage after losses and get extremely frustrated. My worst habits from poker have carried over; I go on 'tilt'! After 2 or 3 losses, I will start playing progressively worse, my game degenerating into all-ins and just stupid plays to get that fast victory that I crave. It's just like going all-in pre-flop in poker cause you're frustrated! Here, it's just my ego taking over and telling me that I should win and that everything is just stupid...

But yea, you have some good points, but I don't think it will help players like me unfortunately. Anyone else who can relate to what I say?
Hmmm, I wonder what terran is doiAAAAARGH BANSHEEEEES
retro-noob
Profile Joined June 2010
110 Posts
August 07 2010 21:56 GMT
#45
On August 08 2010 06:49 Jenslyn87 wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I agree this was a good post, but there is just one problem. I think on some level and with varying degrees of intellectual depth, we understand these concepts and guidelines and know that optimally, we shouldn't play for the win, and we should just strive to improve. The problem is not acknowledging, but traslating the knowledge into a positive mental state. That's where I fail anyways.

I completely agree with all points, but I still rage after losses and get extremely frustrated. My worst habits from poker have carried over; I go on 'tilt'! After 2 or 3 losses, I will start playing progressively worse, my game degenerating into all-ins and just stupid plays to get that fast victory that I crave. It's just like going all-in pre-flop in poker cause you're frustrated! Here, it's just my ego taking over and telling me that I should win and that everything is just stupid...

But yea, you have some good points, but I don't think it will help players like me unfortunately. Anyone else who can relate to what I say?


That's kind of how I am with poker. I know to play the odds, I know I can't control anything beyond that, but I still get pissed when I take a bad beat. It doesn't help that money's involved.

Sometimes I can control that, sometimes I can't. I try to at least keep in mind how much better things are when I can, though.
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
August 07 2010 22:06 GMT
#46
On August 08 2010 05:09 UniversalSnip wrote:
Show nested quote +
9. ***LACK OF AWARENESS OF BIOLOGICAL NEEDS

This isn't something to strive for, more of a side-effect of being in flow.


I think you've misinterpreted this. Don't play when you're hungry or need to clear your bodily wastes, basically.


I'm pretty sure you misinterpreted it. I definitely don't eat as much or get tired as early when I play lots of video games, or when I'm working really hard on HW or a project or something (assuming I am into it and not hating it).
www.infinityseven.net
ZaaaaaM
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands1828 Posts
August 07 2010 22:23 GMT
#47
Great post!:D
On August 08 2010 02:42 Loranga wrote:
Or: 1. Stop taking video games seriously and play for fun (which it's supposed to be).

For a lot of people the best part about starcraft 2 is the ranking, improving yourself, wanting to know everything about the game, if you think its fun to play in the bronze league for ever, go ahead.
no dude, the question
alphafuzard
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1610 Posts
August 07 2010 22:32 GMT
#48
On August 08 2010 06:38 retro-noob wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2010 06:29 bendez wrote:
Or play terran.


Nice.

:[
terran is the new protoss
more weight
JoKeR[X]
Profile Joined August 2010
8 Posts
August 07 2010 22:34 GMT
#49
On August 08 2010 07:23 ZaaaaaM wrote:
Great post!:D
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2010 02:42 Loranga wrote:
Or: 1. Stop taking video games seriously and play for fun (which it's supposed to be).

For a lot of people the best part about starcraft 2 is the ranking, improving yourself, wanting to know everything about the game, if you think its fun to play in the bronze league for ever, go ahead.


I hear this a lot, but if you look at pros they didn't just suddenly appear. They didn't go from bronze to pro in 6 months, it took years of practice and they still practice and play hard. Being the best isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. There's no reason to rush it, and every reason to have fun getting there.
Jenslyn87
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark527 Posts
August 07 2010 22:35 GMT
#50
On August 08 2010 07:23 ZaaaaaM wrote:
Great post!:D
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2010 02:42 Loranga wrote:
Or: 1. Stop taking video games seriously and play for fun (which it's supposed to be).

For a lot of people the best part about starcraft 2 is the ranking, improving yourself, wanting to know everything about the game, if you think its fun to play in the bronze league for ever, go ahead.

I agree with you, but I do see his points. For a lot of us (actually the HUGE majority), SC is never going to be anything but a hobby to have fun with. From that perspective, you really shouldn't be too concerned with score/league/ranking... but you are ;-)
Hmmm, I wonder what terran is doiAAAAARGH BANSHEEEEES
Anxiety
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States650 Posts
August 07 2010 22:40 GMT
#51
On August 08 2010 03:03 Liquid`Tyler wrote:
I think Liquid needs to hire this guy. E-sports psychologist!


Liquid'Psycho!
shawster
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Canada2485 Posts
August 07 2010 22:40 GMT
#52
i disagree

the best part about playing sc is winning and the way to measure winning is going up ranks. i can't change that if i wanted too, i enjoy winning too much :s.

i can't find a way to make me focus on something other then winning, and if i were to focus on other stuff starcraft wouldn't be as fun
claricorp
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada142 Posts
August 07 2010 23:20 GMT
#53
and my friends didnt believe me when i said that i could get "in the zone" a state of perfect micro, macro a magical time of relaxed stress, where everything is perfect.
Rashia
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden68 Posts
August 08 2010 00:01 GMT
#54
Really great read!
brain_
Profile Joined June 2010
United States812 Posts
August 08 2010 00:04 GMT
#55
On August 08 2010 06:29 bendez wrote:
Or play terran.


Fuck, you beat me to it. I was going to say:


How to get more fun (and less rage) out of SC2: switch to Terran.
pieisamazing
Profile Joined May 2009
United States1234 Posts
August 08 2010 00:07 GMT
#56
This is a fantastic post, and by the looks of it, from a relatively new member. Good read.
connoisseur
Full
Profile Joined April 2010
United Kingdom253 Posts
August 08 2010 00:15 GMT
#57
Nice post, enjoyable read.



Flow - bit of a cheesy name though?
Grond
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
599 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-08 00:17:54
August 08 2010 00:16 GMT
#58
But Blizzard has been telling me for years that I need more rage.


Speaking of clocks is there a clock you can turn on in SC2. I'm used to this from other RTS games and its pretty important, I'll have to go buy one I can put next to my computer if there isn't one.
Vorla
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden32 Posts
August 08 2010 00:27 GMT
#59
Bump for great justice!
wat
Medzo
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States627 Posts
August 08 2010 00:31 GMT
#60
Awesome post man. Really touches on a lot of stuff that we already know just being starcraft players but its very nice reading it in a clear and organized post. +1
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 535
ProTech156
UpATreeSC 84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16973
Calm 3387
Mini 429
Mind 82
910 62
soO 46
Dota 2
Gorgc5545
canceldota60
Counter-Strike
fl0m2874
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3966
Other Games
FrodaN979
Beastyqt515
Liquid`Hasu313
Khaldor249
olofmeister187
Livibee184
C9.Mang0170
IndyStarCraft 123
ZombieGrub66
QueenE50
BRAT_OK 23
MindelVK6
[ Show 21 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 15
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 24
• 80smullet 22
• FirePhoenix15
• Michael_bg 2
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2924
• WagamamaTV352
League of Legends
• Nemesis1648
Other Games
• imaqtpie892
• Shiphtur689
• Scarra413
• tFFMrPink 11
Upcoming Events
OSC
3h 22m
Big Brain Bouts
14h 22m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
21h 22m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
23h 22m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 14h
Patches Events
1d 19h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.