• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:47
CEST 20:47
KST 03:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8794 users

StarCraft II Ad to Debut During NBA Finals - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
zak
Profile Joined April 2010
Korea (South)1009 Posts
June 10 2010 03:54 GMT
#21
awesome! finally my friends will understand that Stacraft is as cool as basketball
You know how to gain a victory, but not use it - maharbal
hofodomo
Profile Joined March 2010
United States257 Posts
June 10 2010 04:08 GMT
#22
On June 10 2010 12:17 Daniri wrote:



Oh wow. I thought it was some weird parody at first...

...but then I lol'ed.
Smoke weed ev'ry day.
viscral
Profile Joined February 2010
United States45 Posts
June 10 2010 04:25 GMT
#23
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
June 10 2010 04:29 GMT
#24
On June 10 2010 13:25 viscral wrote:
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.



Was thinking the same thing...
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
ZenDeX
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Philippines2916 Posts
June 10 2010 04:34 GMT
#25
On June 10 2010 13:29 chesshaha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2010 13:25 viscral wrote:
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.



Was thinking the same thing...

So... this is how they "address" the b.net issues?
s2pid_loser
Profile Joined March 2010
United States699 Posts
June 10 2010 04:35 GMT
#26
im gonna miss the premier cause I have a final during that time...
can someone please post the vid tomorrow so i can watch it later XD
Et Ducit Mundum Per Luce
Spawkuring
Profile Joined July 2008
United States755 Posts
June 10 2010 04:37 GMT
#27
On June 10 2010 13:29 chesshaha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2010 13:25 viscral wrote:
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.



Was thinking the same thing...


You would both be wrong.

The game industry has been aiming for wide audiences for several years now. World of Warcraft in particular is the biggest example of Blizzard expanding their games to include non-gamers and casuals into the mix. It was easily decided long before any of the Bnet controversy that SC2 would try to appeal to all kinds of gamers.

But even then that's not completely true as Blizzard games have all been casual-friendly since day one, even SC1. A game doesn't have to only choose either hardcore or casual.
DminusTerran
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1337 Posts
June 10 2010 04:41 GMT
#28
On June 10 2010 13:37 Spawkuring wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 10 2010 13:29 chesshaha wrote:
On June 10 2010 13:25 viscral wrote:
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.



Was thinking the same thing...


You would both be wrong.

The game industry has been aiming for wide audiences for ever


FACT
LordFenix
Profile Joined April 2010
United States4 Posts
June 10 2010 04:42 GMT
#29
Not to sound elitist but I hate when game company's try to branch out to a new, and usually completely unrelated market...

The majority of people watching basketball are going to play sports games, or be so into the sport that they Just ignore the commercials... While I understand the need for advertising I think their Money would be better spent fixing some very known issues with their core audience.
DminusTerran
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada1337 Posts
June 10 2010 04:44 GMT
#30
On June 10 2010 13:42 LordFenix wrote:
Not to sound elitist but I hate when game company's try to branch out to a new, and usually completely unrelated market...

The majority of people watching basketball are going to play sports games, or be so into the sport that they Just ignore the commercials... While I understand the need for advertising I think their Money would be better spent fixing some very known issues with their core audience.


I felt the same way(well at least the part about most basketball fans not caring about starcraft anyways), when I first read this story, but because they are trying to branch out. I assume they'll be showing a wicked sweet CG trailer not gameplay footage and that is good for all anyways.
Captain Peabody
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3137 Posts
June 10 2010 04:47 GMT
#31
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.


They're reaching out to a wider audience in order to increase the public profile of the game, in order to get more customers, in order to make more money.
I'm about 98% sure they would do it whether or not some fans were or were not happy about the current state of Bnet.

So... this is how they "address" the b.net issues?

No, of course not. This is how they advertise to a mainstream audience in order to get more sales and increase the profile of the game. Increasing the mainstream profile of the game is a great aid and necessary requisite to e-sports growth, as it draws viewers in and gives e-sports a space in which to exist and grow.

This event has absolutely nothing to do with the overblown fan flack about Bnet. Blizzard will address the concerns by actually addressing the concerns, either by changing things or by explaining why they won't change things. And it really annoys me that some fans insist on seeing every single thought and action on Blizzard's part as part of some grand, overarching conspiracy of Evil Corporate Evilness directed against them personally.

But please: We already have plenty of threads on Bnet. That's not what this thread is about. Let's get back on topic here...
Dies Irae venit. youtube.com/SnobbinsFilms
DrakanSilva
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Chile932 Posts
June 10 2010 04:47 GMT
#32
:D Thank god that ESPNHD exist, i'm hopping to see the new trailer in HD.

go lakers go!
In the beginning there was nothing... and then exploded
Captain Peabody
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3137 Posts
June 10 2010 04:48 GMT
#33
In other news, those two commercials are hilarious. Why don't we have stuff that good these days?
Dies Irae venit. youtube.com/SnobbinsFilms
blyn
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada57 Posts
June 10 2010 05:00 GMT
#34
I can completely understand this target market. I'll speak from my experiences, but take it with a grain of salt because most of my friends are engineering students... and as such might not be entirely representative of everyone else.

What my friends classify as is gamers who fall into the "frat-boy gamer" category. That is, the kind that sticks to MW2 and Halo3 and Madden. The kind who play casually, yet passionately (they all think they're pro-level gamers). The key point here is although they stick to those games, almost all of them know what the original Starcraft is. But not all of them know that Starcraft2 is being released in a month.

Now, from the sample I have available I'll say that 60% of them will be watching the Celtics crush the Lakers tomorrow (yeah, I said it). Many of them will find out for the first time that SC2 exists, and start to talk about it in anticipation.

I stand by the fact that this ad isn't intended to bring people who are unfamiliar with the series into stomping noobs on iccup, it's to revitalize the portion of their old market which might not be aware of the upcoming launch.
Half
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2554 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-10 05:07:56
June 10 2010 05:04 GMT
#35
On June 10 2010 13:25 viscral wrote:
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.


Are you seriously suggesting that Blizzard made a full length commercial in two weeks and released it in the NBA finals due to some fan reaction to a minor interview that expressed no new information?

....

Srsly bro? Some of you people are incredibly detached from reality. This isn't how companies are run, even if all they care about is money, let alone game studios.

Its just a fucking ad to raise awareness and make some people think omg coolio space marines.

I'm seriously pretty tired of people looking at every single freakin thing blizzard does as part of some vast conspiracy against esports.
Too Busy to Troll!
Torture
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada221 Posts
June 10 2010 05:11 GMT
#36
I could definitely be completely wrong, but I suspect ActivisionBlizzard is reaching out to a wider audience as a reaction to the core fans outrage over bnet 2.0.

Or they could just be advertising because they're trying to make SC2 a HUGE game and the posterboy for esports so they get a substantial return on their investment.
Wedge
Profile Joined March 2008
Canada580 Posts
June 10 2010 05:20 GMT
#37
Cool, wont be watching the actual finals, but I'll see it later that night when it inevitably goes online.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
June 10 2010 05:24 GMT
#38
MW2 debut commercial happened during Sunday Night Football, I think.

This is cool, but not that huge of a deal. I think you people would be surprised how many of the "frat" gamers know SC and the hype behind SC2.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
DragonDefonce
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States790 Posts
June 10 2010 05:25 GMT
#39
On June 10 2010 12:42 Whalecore wrote:
^ Wow that kid is so BM!


Its a young Idra imo



I kid
CursOr
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States6335 Posts
June 10 2010 05:39 GMT
#40
I think if they just focused on the Game... the rest would take care of itself.
WoW took care of itself, and only AFTER it had made a name for itself as an enjoyable game, did they start to commercialize it and water it down.

Looks like they are going for the latter, first with SC2. Game still played fun IMO... but I don't think its going to appeal to EA-Basketball sports games fans.
CJ forever (-_-(-_-(-_-(-_-)-_-)-_-)-_-)
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 16 17 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
01:00
Patch Clash Monthly #2
RotterdaM815
TKL 296
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 815
ByuN 344
mouzHeroMarine 312
TKL 296
IndyStarCraft 179
BRAT_OK 56
MindelVK 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15636
Calm 2561
Horang2 414
Dewaltoss 176
Mini 146
Rush 92
EffOrt 56
Zeus 48
Free 31
Trap 27
[ Show more ]
Bale 18
ToSsGirL 17
scan(afreeca) 15
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
febbydoto18
LuMiX0
League of Legends
KnowMe50
Counter-Strike
fl0m5109
pashabiceps1572
Fnx 894
edward31
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King50
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2496
Liquid`Hasu498
Other Games
singsing1766
Liquid`RaSZi1636
Beastyqt857
B2W.Neo395
C9.Mang0264
crisheroes199
dupreeh148
QueenE110
Trikslyr92
UpATreeSC58
JuggernautJason20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream18
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• EnkiAlexander 32
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 20
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2738
League of Legends
• Nemesis3314
• TFBlade627
Other Games
• imaqtpie809
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15h 13m
INu's Battles
16h 13m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
18h 13m
OSC
1d 3h
Replay Cast
1d 4h
OSC
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.