• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:37
CEST 02:37
KST 09:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8930 users

TL Fitness Initiative (Weight Loss/Gain) - Page 96

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 94 95 96 97 98 119 Next
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
November 05 2009 08:08 GMT
#1901
You're going to come back and we're all going to be fat.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Patriot.dlk
Profile Blog Joined October 2004
Sweden5462 Posts
November 05 2009 10:38 GMT
#1902
On November 04 2009 22:00 Foucault wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2009 21:20 Patriot.dlk wrote:
On November 04 2009 03:09 Sfydjklm wrote:
Most smith machines offset 40 pounds, so it'd be more like 170 pounds.
unless he actually included that in his number ofc:D


I am unable to understand what "offset 40 pounds" means? I's it simply that you normally lift that much more using a smith machine? If so I don't recognize that at all out of my own experience.

The smith machine bar at my gym is 7 KG and the normal bar is 10 KG. These are the only numbers I include in my calculations.

Using the smith machine i put on 35 KG. (2x15 + 2x2.5) and that's very heavy for me even if it's supposed to be only 42 KG. But using the normal bench and bar I put on 2 x 20 and it's not as heavy even.


Um it means that the smith bar has some weight + it goes up and down smoother than a normal bar so using a smith isn't as heavy as a barbell. Then your experience is wrong because it's common physics.

Yeah the smith bar is usually 15 pounds or 7 kg. But the normal barbell is usually 20 kg, the 10 kg bar is used by women mostly.


Did you see the wiki quote I posted? Also there's no 20 kg barbell at my gym
jfazz
Profile Joined September 2009
Australia672 Posts
November 05 2009 11:49 GMT
#1903
Ok. Owning up time. Massive night off the diet food wise, but it was a special occasion. However, I didn't drink any alcohol, and ill be up early to go running.

Dec. 1 is still my goal date
Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 05 2009 13:36 GMT
#1904
On November 05 2009 19:38 Patriot.dlk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2009 22:00 Foucault wrote:
On November 04 2009 21:20 Patriot.dlk wrote:
On November 04 2009 03:09 Sfydjklm wrote:
Most smith machines offset 40 pounds, so it'd be more like 170 pounds.
unless he actually included that in his number ofc:D


I am unable to understand what "offset 40 pounds" means? I's it simply that you normally lift that much more using a smith machine? If so I don't recognize that at all out of my own experience.

The smith machine bar at my gym is 7 KG and the normal bar is 10 KG. These are the only numbers I include in my calculations.

Using the smith machine i put on 35 KG. (2x15 + 2x2.5) and that's very heavy for me even if it's supposed to be only 42 KG. But using the normal bench and bar I put on 2 x 20 and it's not as heavy even.


Um it means that the smith bar has some weight + it goes up and down smoother than a normal bar so using a smith isn't as heavy as a barbell. Then your experience is wrong because it's common physics.

Yeah the smith bar is usually 15 pounds or 7 kg. But the normal barbell is usually 20 kg, the 10 kg bar is used by women mostly.


Did you see the wiki quote I posted? Also there's no 20 kg barbell at my gym


Saw it now. So with squats people can lift more in a smith and in bench press they can lift more without the smith. I would like to look closer at their technique.

There's no 20 kg barbell? Sounds like a crappy gym, no offense.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Energies
Profile Blog Joined September 2003
Australia3225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-05 13:55:00
November 05 2009 13:54 GMT
#1905
Transitioned out of keto today by slowly increasing my carb intake. I'm doing one massive circuit training workout tomorrow and then off the diet. Just going to do a eat whatever I want for 2500-3000 calories a day for the next month of my holiday just to maintain my weight, going to be tough managing it with all that alcohol. I'll get back on it when I return.

I fly out to China on Sunday. ^_^.
"Everybody wanna be a bodybuilder but dont nobody wanna lift no heavy ass weight" - Ronnie Coleman.
Cloud
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sexico5880 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-05 15:18:54
November 05 2009 15:18 GMT
#1906
So I can do 8 chinups without touching the ground. What a weakling.

I'm gonna try to do 40+ a day until i can do well over 20.

Here I come.
BlueLaguna on West, msg for game.
Stormich
Profile Joined August 2003
Croatia336 Posts
November 05 2009 16:52 GMT
#1907
So I was wondering, is it possible to get to 2xbodyweight squat and DL + 1.5bodyweight bench just using Starting Strength or will I be forced to switch to a more advanced program before I hit that mark?
hi
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
November 05 2009 16:59 GMT
#1908
DL = ?


anyways 2x bodyweight squat is easy to get, I have no doubt I can do it and I don't even lift

so yes, starting strength will definitely get u there
Stormich
Profile Joined August 2003
Croatia336 Posts
November 05 2009 17:02 GMT
#1909
On November 06 2009 01:59 travis wrote:
DL = ?


anyways 2x bodyweight squat is easy to get, I have no doubt I can do it and I don't even lift

so yes, starting strength will definitely get u there


Deadlift...
Thanks for the squat info.
hi
Djabanete
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States2786 Posts
November 05 2009 17:39 GMT
#1910
Now on my 19th day!
May the BeSt man win.
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-05 18:25:20
November 05 2009 18:22 GMT
#1911
On November 06 2009 01:52 Stormer wrote:
So I was wondering, is it possible to get to 2xbodyweight squat and DL + 1.5bodyweight bench just using Starting Strength or will I be forced to switch to a more advanced program before I hit that mark?

You'll hit 2xbw DL at about the same time you hit 1.5xbw squat, unless you squat like a pussy and don't go far down enough. Depends on your natural aptitude, but it should take you 6 months to a year on ss to get 2xbw dl, 1.5xbw squat, and 1.25xbw bench press. There's a chart here that's probably a better measure of progress than bodyweight multiples. http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.htm You definitely won't need to go on a more advanced program, ss will carry you to like halfway between intermediate and advanced probably.


On November 06 2009 01:59 travis wrote:
DL = ?


anyways 2x bodyweight squat is easy to get, I have no doubt I can do it and I don't even lift

so yes, starting strength will definitely get u there

No, no you can't. Go try right now, you won't get anywhere close to parallel. You might just fall down right after unracking the weight actually.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
daz
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
Canada643 Posts
November 05 2009 18:29 GMT
#1912
On November 06 2009 01:59 travis wrote:
DL = ?


anyways 2x bodyweight squat is easy to get, I have no doubt I can do it and I don't even lift

so yes, starting strength will definitely get u there


2x bodyweight squat is easy? .. you dont even lift and you think you can do it? to be honest i'd be very surprised if you can even do 1x bodyweight if you dont lift..
Some eat to remember, some smash to forget. 2009msl.com
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
November 05 2009 18:40 GMT
#1913
On November 05 2009 22:54 Energies wrote:
Transitioned out of keto today by slowly increasing my carb intake. I'm doing one massive circuit training workout tomorrow and then off the diet. Just going to do a eat whatever I want for 2500-3000 calories a day for the next month of my holiday just to maintain my weight, going to be tough managing it with all that alcohol. I'll get back on it when I return.

I fly out to China on Sunday. ^_^.


Have fun!

Yeah it's not the food that's the issue mainly it's the alcohol if you're gonna drink alot. It's to easy to gain weight when drinking. Btw, if you want to drink "healthier" stay with red wine and pure booze, because there's hardly any carbs as opposed to beer.
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
Foucault
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Sweden2826 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-05 18:44:04
November 05 2009 18:42 GMT
#1914
On November 06 2009 01:52 Stormer wrote:
So I was wondering, is it possible to get to 2xbodyweight squat and DL + 1.5bodyweight bench just using Starting Strength or will I be forced to switch to a more advanced program before I hit that mark?


1,5 x bodyweight DL is nothing really.

I'm 75 kg and I've done like 2 reps at 100 kg before. I think squats will be harder for some reason

travis: you're not gonna take 2 x your bodyweight doing squats right off the bat. You will probably kill yourself
I know that deep inside of you there's a humongous set of testicles just waiting to pop out. Let 'em pop bro. //////////////////// AKA JensOfSweden // Lee Yoon Yeol forever.
ShAsTa
Profile Joined November 2002
Belgium2841 Posts
November 05 2009 19:16 GMT
#1915
Travis, please videotape yourself trying and put it on youtube.
If we hit that bull's eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Stormich
Profile Joined August 2003
Croatia336 Posts
November 05 2009 19:17 GMT
#1916
Thanks for the info guys, and thanks for the strength measure tables.
hi
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
November 05 2009 19:27 GMT
#1917
Yeah, squatting 2x body weight is definitely not easy at all. I weigh 175 pounds and have been lifting fairly consistently for about 4 months, and I can only do about 235.

By the way, I didn't realize DL and squat on the same day were bad. Maybe that's why I haven't been to successful with my DLs, since I always do squats first. It took me like 2 months to really get proper form down, and I'm only now really starting to increase my weight lifted on them. I found my grip really suffered too, but it's getting a lot better now.

Was kinda funny, because it felt like for about 8 weeks I wasn't making any progress, and now in the past few weeks I've been increasing my weight lifted in all categories each session (only like 2.5-5 lbs a session). Feels really good. I owe a lot of it to fixing my diet. I now consume easily 180g+ of protein a day, and try to eat as many vegetables as I can, not much grain, but a regular daily intake of fruit for some carbs.

Also, for those who are thin and are really trying to increase weight/muscle: when I met my roommate in first year university, he was 6'2 and 130 pounds. He was consuming like 5000 calories a day and still couldn't gain weight. In second year, he started working out. He was pretty weak in the beginning, benching 95 pounds, squatting 135 etc. but he worked hard. Now he weighs like 210 pounds (all muscle, the guy has like no fat on him) and can bench 350 etc. It took him about 3 years to accomplish, but he had a lot of setbacks and he often would go a few months at a time without working out at all. Very happy for him!
biomedical
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
235 Posts
November 05 2009 20:07 GMT
#1918
the order and proximity of my squat and DL matters insanely, to the point that i might split them completely

i figured out i was reading the balance wrong (as i thought) so i am actually +2kg NOT +4kg (haha, damn)

tnx for ur lil story stolesteeler lol
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-11-05 20:21:46
November 05 2009 20:20 GMT
#1919
yeah u guys are right i wasn't doing the math right at all lol
for some reason my brain was confusing a 2x bodyweight squat with a 1x bodyweight squat

meaning, I forgot to include the fact that I am also squatting my own body's weight into the calculation


but I contest that I would fall right after unracking the weight, hehe
not that I am going to try. don't wanna hurt myself lol
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
November 05 2009 20:28 GMT
#1920
so anyways what I originally meant was that 1x bodyweight squat would be easy. I in no way think I could do 2x.

I know 1x would be easy because I can do multiple pistols (1 legged squats).
Prev 1 94 95 96 97 98 119 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 23m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 23m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.