• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:37
CEST 02:37
KST 09:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8913 users

TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 - Page 84

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 82 83 84 85 86 234 Next
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7681 Posts
December 29 2015 02:19 GMT
#1661
Stop squatting in socks for one. Stop turning your toes out so far and taking such a wide stance.
The unrealistic sound of these propositions is indicative, not of their utopian character, but of the strength of the forces which prevent their realization.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
January 01 2016 15:46 GMT
#1662
Happy New Years all. Hope everyone passes their goals in 2016!
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
Philozovic
Profile Joined August 2012
France1677 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-02 17:27:28
January 02 2016 16:37 GMT
#1663
Rowing is improving
2K sub 9 didn't seems possible early novembre
I just did 1h of steady state 2.14min split :D

Happy new years all I guess we are going to need a new thread.

Goal this year :
100kg squat for reps
80 kg bench for reps
2K under 7min30
Finally hit 72kg
On December 29 2015 09:57 Thalandros wrote:
So I've been struggling with gaining strength for a bit. Strength, not size.


I'll link a longer reddit post down below because that's where I've put all the details, but basically:

Form comes difficult for me. I'd been messing with my diet a bit for a good part of this year but the last 3 months I've been serious and even though I'm not the most lean, adding on weight. And even though I get heavier and lift heavier, I seem to not gain any strength in the big 3 (BP, Squat, DL). I have NO idea how. My squat form is really weird and difficult to control, I lean the bar to right naturally for some reason. Other lifts I have no idea. Maybe I lift too heavy for my good, and it makes my form bad so that I don't actually get stronger.


I track macros on MFP, getting 150+ protein in every day, eat a 200-300kcal surplus (have gained weight recently, so I am adding size to my frame) and follow a SS-based PPL split benching, squatting, deadlifting and OHP-ing twice a week (one heavy, one non-heavy day).

Basically, I'm clueless. Here's the full post for anyone willing to help out:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/3ykpqi/stalling_hard_since_forever_dont_know_what_the/


Noob advice :
-Too wide stance, feet to much on the outside, back leaning forward and not deep enough :
I would say do that a lot
-Back to round on the dead lift

But I don't think bad form is the reason you don't make any progress, increase weight until failure than repeat.
INnoVation is the absolute best | I wept for i knew his words to be true
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
January 02 2016 23:20 GMT
#1664
After 2 weeks of crossfit, I shoved 3 minutes from my Diane Time. Finished it in 6:30.

I'm starting traditional powerlifting training again next week, however I'll keep doing a bit of conditioning. Mostly Kb Swings/burpees/box jumps and double unders as they involve cardio w/o muscle soreness.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 05 2016 13:38 GMT
#1665
Happy new year! New thread time?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Osmoses
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Sweden5302 Posts
January 05 2016 18:44 GMT
#1666
Take initiative chickun!
Excuse me hun, but what is your name? Vivian? I woke up next to you naked and, uh, did we, um?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-06 16:14:29
January 06 2016 14:03 GMT
#1667
When I do some band work for my shoulders, YTWL etc., I'm having a difficult time with keeping my left trap relaxed. Right side seems fine but left tightens up. Been having issues for a while on that side and looking for advice on correcting it. Let me know if there's more details I can provide.

2016 goal: 4 plate squat and deadlift

Also, if you were programming 1 day a week to improving bench press, what would it look like.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
January 06 2016 16:16 GMT
#1668
On January 06 2016 23:03 mordek wrote:
When I do some band work for my shoulders, YTWL etc., I'm having a difficult time with keeping my left trap relaxed. Right side seems fine but left tightens up. Been having issues for a while on that side and looking for advice on correcting it. Let me know if there's more details I can provide.

2016 goal: 4 plate squat and deadlift

Also, if you were programming 1 day a week to improving bench press, what would it look like.


I would expect to make no gains. Are you doing dips/presses on other days?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-06 18:02:11
January 06 2016 17:37 GMT
#1669
On January 07 2016 01:16 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2016 23:03 mordek wrote:
When I do some band work for my shoulders, YTWL etc., I'm having a difficult time with keeping my left trap relaxed. Right side seems fine but left tightens up. Been having issues for a while on that side and looking for advice on correcting it. Let me know if there's more details I can provide.

2016 goal: 4 plate squat and deadlift

Also, if you were programming 1 day a week to improving bench press, what would it look like.


I would expect to make no gains. Are you doing dips/presses on other days?

Currently in the Smolov switching cycle so only 3 days a week so my 4th day I thought I'd focus on bench. I've been trying to do some assistance work on the 3 smolov days. I was thinking I could be just wasting my time but I've done about 3 days of upper body work in the last two months and wanted to work it back in.

I'm open to criticism of the programming but I'd like to a) complete the full smolov program b) go to the gym 4 days a week (weekdays 1-1.5hr including warm-up / cooldown, Saturday can be w/e)
Basically I'm asking if you had only a day to allocate to pressing what would it look like, I don't expect to be working towards a PR or anything.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 06 2016 19:36 GMT
#1670
Why can't you do pressing on your smolov days?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-06 20:07:20
January 06 2016 20:04 GMT
#1671
On January 07 2016 04:36 decafchicken wrote:
Why can't you do pressing on your smolov days?

Time is the main thing. I attribute a fair amount of my progress thus far to actually allotting enough time to warming up and cooling down. If I could get my sleep schedule a little better after the holidays I could try getting in earlier.

If the answer is make more time for pressing movements, that's cool, I'm not sure if it will happen and I'm ok with my bench lagging for the time being. I did have my 4th day open up and was like well I'll hammer presses on that day.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
January 07 2016 00:28 GMT
#1672
I would suggest a really basic and solid aproach:

a) Bench + Weighted dips
b) Overhead press + Weighted dips

Add weight whenever possible. Keep switching weight, reps and sets on the dips.

If you have an only bench day, do higher volume that day, followed by higher rep sets of overhead presses.

On the other days squeeze 2-3 sets of dips (squat days).
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
January 07 2016 22:19 GMT
#1673
I'm currently doing 3x5 Bench + 5x10 Dips one day, and 3x3 bench + 3x3 Pause Bench + 5x6 Dips another day. All based on texas method, so the 3x3 is ascending, and the 3x5 is at 85% of the top set of 3 from the previous week, add 5 lbs each week. Pause Bench I typically do for 80% of what I hit on the triples. 5x10 dips are weighted, but lighter than the 5x6 dips, just add weight whenever possible.

Overhead press, incline bench, close grip, etc all just wind up hurting my shoulder (preexisting problem not related to lifting). I end up doing 5 of those workouts over 2 weeks. Working really well for me, but my max is low relative to GoTunk so take his advice over mine.
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-08 00:58:10
January 08 2016 00:56 GMT
#1674
On January 08 2016 07:19 phyre112 wrote:
I'm currently doing 3x5 Bench + 5x10 Dips one day, and 3x3 bench + 3x3 Pause Bench + 5x6 Dips another day. All based on texas method, so the 3x3 is ascending, and the 3x5 is at 85% of the top set of 3 from the previous week, add 5 lbs each week. Pause Bench I typically do for 80% of what I hit on the triples. 5x10 dips are weighted, but lighter than the 5x6 dips, just add weight whenever possible.

Overhead press, incline bench, close grip, etc all just wind up hurting my shoulder (preexisting problem not related to lifting). I end up doing 5 of those workouts over 2 weeks. Working really well for me, but my max is low relative to GoTunk so take his advice over mine.


You should be pressing foward/upward and upper back pulling a similar amount to keep your shoulder heads balanced and avoid injury issues. Over-benching it's a great way to end up with kiphosis, tight pecs, and wrecked shoulders.

You could do what you described for a couple of months, but you should be balanced overall I believe.

Back to high volume squatting for a bit: SQ 160x3x5, paused squat 140x3x5. EMOM 10' bouncing box jumps :D
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-01-08 12:22:32
January 08 2016 12:21 GMT
#1675
On January 08 2016 09:56 GoTuNk! wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2016 07:19 phyre112 wrote:
I'm currently doing 3x5 Bench + 5x10 Dips one day, and 3x3 bench + 3x3 Pause Bench + 5x6 Dips another day. All based on texas method, so the 3x3 is ascending, and the 3x5 is at 85% of the top set of 3 from the previous week, add 5 lbs each week. Pause Bench I typically do for 80% of what I hit on the triples. 5x10 dips are weighted, but lighter than the 5x6 dips, just add weight whenever possible.

Overhead press, incline bench, close grip, etc all just wind up hurting my shoulder (preexisting problem not related to lifting). I end up doing 5 of those workouts over 2 weeks. Working really well for me, but my max is low relative to GoTunk so take his advice over mine.


You should be pressing foward/upward and upper back pulling a similar amount to keep your shoulder heads balanced and avoid injury issues. Over-benching it's a great way to end up with kiphosis, tight pecs, and wrecked shoulders.

You could do what you described for a couple of months, but you should be balanced overall I believe.

Back to high volume squatting for a bit: SQ 160x3x5, paused squat 140x3x5. EMOM 10' bouncing box jumps :D


My upper back pulling volume is about 1.5x my pressing volume, evenly split into horizontal and vertical. I just haven't found a way to press vertically that doesn't bother my left shoulder, which has been partially separated my entire life, same as my father's and both of my sister's. I have been able to go a month or so at a time with some heavy push pressing, and I've played around with jerks, but those are obviously not the same.

I haven't strict overhead pressed a weight that's heavy (for me) in more than a year, and if anything my shoulders are healthier than when I was attempting to press often.
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
January 08 2016 13:24 GMT
#1676
Thanks for all the input guys. Going to try to make some more time but so far this week haven't been able to, got like 5 hours last night for sucky life reasons so I'm just glad I got my smolov lifts in today. I did go Wednesday evening as a bonus since the evening opened up and felt the frustration of a lagging bench so that should give me the impetus to start pressing whenever I get the chance.

Still not sure what to do about my left trap always tightening up though.
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 08 2016 14:47 GMT
#1677
On January 08 2016 22:24 mordek wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys. Going to try to make some more time but so far this week haven't been able to, got like 5 hours last night for sucky life reasons so I'm just glad I got my smolov lifts in today. I did go Wednesday evening as a bonus since the evening opened up and felt the frustration of a lagging bench so that should give me the impetus to start pressing whenever I get the chance.

Still not sure what to do about my left trap always tightening up though.


Get a massage. Sort out your imbalances. Mobilize.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
mordek
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States12705 Posts
January 08 2016 20:54 GMT
#1678
On January 08 2016 23:47 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2016 22:24 mordek wrote:
Thanks for all the input guys. Going to try to make some more time but so far this week haven't been able to, got like 5 hours last night for sucky life reasons so I'm just glad I got my smolov lifts in today. I did go Wednesday evening as a bonus since the evening opened up and felt the frustration of a lagging bench so that should give me the impetus to start pressing whenever I get the chance.

Still not sure what to do about my left trap always tightening up though.


Get a massage. Sort out your imbalances. Mobilize.

I have received 2 massages and I specifically asked about that shoulder each time ! I was thinking I may have some dysfunction with my scap... I do have a curve in my spine at that level my chiro said there's probably little I can do to correct, i just have a fail of a vertabrae in there. Know of any resources for checking for imbalance or dysfunction for shoulders?
It is vanity to love what passes quickly and not to look ahead where eternal joy abides. Tiberius77 | Mordek #1881 "I took a mint!"
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 09 2016 00:41 GMT
#1679
Find a better chiro and massage therapist ~~
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
January 12 2016 18:00 GMT
#1680
https://www.instagram.com/p/BAcl_JwwCEV/

SO CLOSE. One of the fucking days I will hit a PR.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Prev 1 82 83 84 85 86 234 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 23m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 23m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.