• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:34
CEST 14:34
KST 21:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9026 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 569

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 567 568 569 570 571 730 Next
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 11 2011 02:13 GMT
#11361
Yeah, am not.
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
September 11 2011 02:14 GMT
#11362
On September 11 2011 09:34 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 08:50 Froadac wrote:
Eshlow: Dumbbell bicep curls. Bad, good?

Better replacements?

Pt said to do them or "equivalent"


Pullups bro. You get the arm curling action and the pecs/lats/back action.

TBH pullups/chinups fit very well in the "beach muscles" type workouts that most guys do in the gym (biceps, chest, lats, etc).... except they never do them.

I guess people are averse to hard work or something.

haha it's funny cause the only people who do chin-ups at my community gym are the skinny kids who weigh like 115lb
Love chin-ups tho, I'm pretty proud of my lats for what it's worth (tho I got nothing on decaf, obv)

On September 11 2011 09:42 decafchicken wrote:
Won our first game 68-5. I scored three times (and murdered three people). YEAH BABY.

beast :D
Official Entusman #21
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 11 2011 02:21 GMT
#11363
Sigh. I'm the super skinny kid.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 11 2011 02:29 GMT
#11364
On September 11 2011 11:21 Froadac wrote:
Sigh. I'm the super skinny kid.


I was always that kid. The sooner you start fixing it, the better. At least you haven't given up yet!
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
September 11 2011 02:35 GMT
#11365
haha nothing against the skinny kids. at least they do the chin-ups
The big guys are probably ashamed that they can only do 3 or think they're hot shit doing like 10 quarter-ups
Official Entusman #21
89vision
Profile Joined September 2010
United States70 Posts
September 11 2011 02:41 GMT
#11366
On September 11 2011 11:10 infinity21 wrote:
think he's referring to this
[image loading]


**Maxipad

Just checked this thread fearing the worst kind of advice imaginable, but seeing squats and deads emphasized is really cool.
An itch only a deadlift can scratch
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 11 2011 02:49 GMT
#11367
On September 11 2011 11:35 infinity21 wrote:
haha nothing against the skinny kids. at least they do the chin-ups
The big guys are probably ashamed that they can only do 3 or think they're hot shit doing like 10 quarter-ups


I actually find chin-ups pretty easy even though I weight 160lbs and have only a 70lb bar curl. But wide grip pull-ups, man those are ridiculous, I'd be more proud of doing 15 of those than deadlifting 500lbs.
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 11 2011 02:52 GMT
#11368
Yeah, I haven't given up. I was up at 120ish pounds like three months ago.

Then with all the medical stuff and travel I lost it all again.
vicariouscheese
Profile Joined June 2010
United States589 Posts
September 11 2011 03:37 GMT
#11369
On September 11 2011 11:52 Froadac wrote:
Yeah, I haven't given up. I was up at 120ish pounds like three months ago.

Then with all the medical stuff and travel I lost it all again.


Did you get your surgery done? I haven't been around in a while. If so hope it went well~
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
September 11 2011 04:41 GMT
#11370
Naw. Didn't happen. Had to drive to socal for it. Then traveled to UK.

Then had lots of physical therapy. Wanted me to get more stable before continuing.

Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
September 11 2011 05:47 GMT
#11371
Joined the Harajuku Gold's Gym today. It's gonna be 13,000 Yen per month (roughly $150), a tad pricey, but gym memberships are all fucking overpriced in Japan.

The ultimate test is
1) whether they let me use chalk
2) whether they let me do cleans/snatches in their power racks (today's lifts didn't involve these)

Also, I'm officially getting off of SS, after, on and off, about 9 months in total. I'm moving on to Madcow 5x5, but I'm going to substitute rows with power cleans.

The first session was ridiculously easy, but it seems to pick up pretty fast, so I'm not too concerned. I think I've worked myself pretty hard over the last month and half, so a few easy sessions are actually much appreciated before sessions get real heavy.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 11 2011 05:58 GMT
#11372
On September 11 2011 11:49 FiWiFaKi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 11:35 infinity21 wrote:
haha nothing against the skinny kids. at least they do the chin-ups
The big guys are probably ashamed that they can only do 3 or think they're hot shit doing like 10 quarter-ups


I actually find chin-ups pretty easy even though I weight 160lbs and have only a 70lb bar curl. But wide grip pull-ups, man those are ridiculous, I'd be more proud of doing 15 of those than deadlifting 500lbs.

rather be able to do both
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
FiWiFaKi
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada9859 Posts
September 11 2011 06:07 GMT
#11373
On September 11 2011 14:58 decafchicken wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 11 2011 11:49 FiWiFaKi wrote:
On September 11 2011 11:35 infinity21 wrote:
haha nothing against the skinny kids. at least they do the chin-ups
The big guys are probably ashamed that they can only do 3 or think they're hot shit doing like 10 quarter-ups


I actually find chin-ups pretty easy even though I weight 160lbs and have only a 70lb bar curl. But wide grip pull-ups, man those are ridiculous, I'd be more proud of doing 15 of those than deadlifting 500lbs.

rather be able to do both


Working on it, doing a solid 40lb assist for 10-12 right now. How many can you do?
In life, the journey is more satisfying than the destination. || .::Entrepreneurship::. Living a few years of your life like most people won't, so that you can spend the rest of your life like most people can't || Mechanical Engineering & Economics Major
Froadac
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States6733 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-11 07:01:55
September 11 2011 07:01 GMT
#11374
OK. SO just ate like a bunch of butter & toast, finished all leftover pasta, ate leftover salad although that has no calories.

Had like 4 glasses of nonfat milk. Then literally ran out of food my parents wouldn't get after me for eating.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
September 11 2011 07:04 GMT
#11375
GJ Froadac, eat like a bear!
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
BouBou.865
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands814 Posts
September 11 2011 08:52 GMT
#11376
Question: I can go about paralel whilst keeping my lowerback really tight. I can obviously go lower if I let it bend. Is it better to go ass to grass with a non-tight lower back or go paralel with a tight back?

Also how do I stretch my legs (quads?) to allow me to go ATG with a tight lower back?

Aaaaand how often should I do stretches for powercleans? Once a day, hold for 10 secs? Twice a day? Eschlow linked me a crazy complicated source a bit ago, didn't get that at all, sorry
Playing League of Legends. IGN: Plain Skill
emjaytron
Profile Joined June 2011
Australia544 Posts
September 11 2011 09:43 GMT
#11377
Hi guys I've just been having a look through the last 10 pages or so, haven't posted here yet but think I might be able to help people out sometimes.

I'm a postgrad physiotherapy student so if you have any questions about injuries or specific anatomy/biomechanics stuff I can probably help you.

Personally, I'm 18 months on from a major knee operation. Back to squatting 120kg (250lb? not sure on the conversion), powercleaning 70kg (150lb?), and deadlifting 100kg.

One question for the serious lifters out there, what's a good solution for grip strength issues (I've been losing grip on the bar in deadlifts towards the end of my sets.)
Grubby - SaSe - Oz - Hero
RosaParksStoleMySeat
Profile Joined December 2009
Japan926 Posts
September 11 2011 10:21 GMT
#11378
One question for the serious lifters out there, what's a good solution for grip strength issues (I've been losing grip on the bar in deadlifts towards the end of my sets.)


Specific grip training is really the only long-term solution to grip problems. If you want, you can switch to a mixed grip or hook grip on deadlifts. It seems like you have a real problem if you're already getting grip issues at 100kg (while squatting 120kg), so you may want to dedicate some real time to this.

One last option would be straps. They are generally used in grip-intensive workouts, such as those Olympic lifters do, but they can be used in a normal athlete's routine just fine.

Question: I can go about paralel whilst keeping my lowerback really tight. I can obviously go lower if I let it bend. Is it better to go ass to grass with a non-tight lower back or go paralel with a tight back?


Any looseness under the bar increases the chance of injury, and should therefore be avoided. The stretch reflex in the hip flexors and hamstrings (along with the whip of the bar and physical bounce off of the calves) is what creates the bouncing motion, not looseness.

Joined the Harajuku Gold's Gym today. It's gonna be 13,000 Yen per month (roughly $150), a tad pricey, but gym memberships are all fucking overpriced in Japan.


Yes, they are.

You may want to look into the Keio University Olympic Weightlifting club. I don't know if they let outsiders in, but they have an absolutely beautiful weightlifting facility. Another option is a public gymnasium (体育館 - taikukan), as they generally charge something like 200 yen/session. My place only charges me 200 yen for up to four hours of use, although it only has like two squat racks, a smith machine, and six bench presses, with two barbells to share between everything. My general strategy is to get in early before everyone else comes so I can finish my stuff without people doing the passive-aggressive "I don't approve" stare.
jjhchsc2
Profile Joined December 2010
Korea (South)2393 Posts
September 11 2011 10:53 GMT
#11379
On September 10 2011 22:38 eshlow wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 10 2011 12:18 jjhchsc2 wrote:
On September 10 2011 04:58 phyre112 wrote:
On September 10 2011 04:21 Velocirapture wrote:
On September 10 2011 04:06 phyre112 wrote:
On September 10 2011 03:26 Velocirapture wrote:
A lot of people on here seem to believe protein supplements should be avoided if possible (only used if you can't meet your daily requirements for Cal and protein) but my PT advises me that I should have 30g of protein within 30min of completing my workout. While I can get all the protein and Cal I need from regular food, most protein requires preparation and in order to meet that time frame I use a supplement powder. Just figured id put that little bit o' info out there.


Broscience, I do believe. If you workout fasted, there's an advantage to taking a pre-workout drink, usually something based around bcaas for the quick absorption. If you don't workout fasted (for example I like to way three hours before workout) then you are still digesting food, and there are plenty of amino acids in your bloodstream. Just make sure that you do eventually eat something before you go to bed, because i'm sure a pre workout meal doesn't have ALL your calories.


Broscience seems a little strong a term . Most fitness claims like the ones he makes are the product of numerous case studies and common sense science. The man is fully educated and accredited so im inclined to believe its not pulled out of his ass.

That being said my degree is in molecular bio not anatomy and physiology so I am forced to defer to his greater experience. I would imagine that the timing of nutritional intake should matter somewhat from what I know (the entire digestion process is quite long and food does not act as an 8 hour time release capsule of energy) but the specifics as far as its interaction with muscle growth and exercise (chronologically) were not part of my eduction.


I'm only repeating leangains information. I'll see if I can find the article, but I remember the argument being that there was a very limited (not statistically significant) increase in muscle synthesis with a POST workout shake, but that it was very important (statistically significant) to have some amino acids available to the body before and during the workout. It's pre-WO that's critical, not post.

Also, I don't think anyone is outright arguing that protein shakes are useless. I take them myself on days where I find myself strapped for time, or on particularly hard days where I think it will help my recovery. But most of the time, I think it's superior to get your protein from real food sources (meat, fish, eggs).


so what should your preworkout meal consist of mainly?
i usually have a small can of tuna and about 4 slices of cheese with some water.
anyway to make sure you have enough amino acids?
ps i usually have my preworkout 1-2 hours before and i usually eat rice, meat and veggies for post workout with some milk before i sleep.
are there symptoms to not having enough protein in your diet while working out?
pss hope your shoulder gets better.


Preworkout you can do lots of things depending on what your goals are.

If gaining mass, I'd definitely eat a bit of something with carbs and protein.

Depending on how your workouts are you may or may not want to eat before a workout.

What you are eating is fine. Stop worry about small details.


thanks eshlow, phyre and shallow!
Lee Ssang/ Lee Shin/ Kim Jung Woo/ Kim Min Chul/Jun Tae Yang/Park Soo Ho/Lee Jung Hoon/Choi Sung Hoon/ Moon Sung Won/Park Ji Soo/ Lee Ho Joon/ Jang Min Chul/ Kim Seung Chul/SaSe/IdrA/Ret Fighting! BW4Life
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-11 11:03:13
September 11 2011 11:00 GMT
#11380
On September 11 2011 19:21 RosaParksStoleMySeat wrote:
Show nested quote +
Joined the Harajuku Gold's Gym today. It's gonna be 13,000 Yen per month (roughly $150), a tad pricey, but gym memberships are all fucking overpriced in Japan.


Yes, they are.

You may want to look into the Keio University Olympic Weightlifting club. I don't know if they let outsiders in, but they have an absolutely beautiful weightlifting facility. Another option is a public gymnasium (体育館 - taikukan), as they generally charge something like 200 yen/session. My place only charges me 200 yen for up to four hours of use, although it only has like two squat racks, a smith machine, and six bench presses, with two barbells to share between everything. My general strategy is to get in early before everyone else comes so I can finish my stuff without people doing the passive-aggressive "I don't approve" stare.


I'm sure the universities have really nice oly lifting equipment, but getting in may be tricky. I was seriously going to try Tokyo Tech University (the closest one to me), but I got lazy.

The Gold's at Harajuku is actually not bad, 24 hours, lots of weights, and pretty empty all around (and there's shower, sauna, etc. that I occasionally use). Oh, and another good things about Gold's, eye candy. I check out the Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium before going to Gold's. They have this stupid rule where one person can only use a station for at most 20 minutes, whereas I am mostly interested in their powerlifting rack (only one of those....), so it doesn't work out too well. Not much eye candy there either =/

The ward gyms are probably shittier than the Tokyo gym, and they are pretty far from me. I don't particularly care about the monthly cost, as long as they let me lift weights *my* way, i.e. olys and chalk.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Prev 1 567 568 569 570 571 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 832
RotterdaM400
SteadfastSC165
TKL 156
Rex103
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 400
ByuN 254
SteadfastSC 165
TKL 156
Rex 103
Codebar 37
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33925
Shuttle 2020
Jaedong 811
Bisu 623
Horang2 576
Soulkey 477
Stork 299
Mini 298
Larva 243
actioN 240
[ Show more ]
BeSt 220
Soma 201
EffOrt 193
Mong 166
firebathero 158
Last 147
Rush 139
Snow 130
ZerO 121
Zeus 100
Free 80
910 77
Pusan 75
Mind 69
Hyun 65
PianO 55
Shinee 51
Sharp 45
Shine 44
hero 42
Yoon 42
JYJ 33
Sexy 33
Bale 26
sorry 25
Aegong 21
Hm[arnc] 20
HiyA 20
ToSsGirL 19
ZergMaN 13
yabsab 13
Sacsri 12
scan(afreeca) 11
Noble 10
Icarus 5
Terrorterran 2
Dota 2
Gorgc2562
Dendi961
canceldota70
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1263
edward6
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King212
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes446
Other Games
gofns58854
singsing2203
Lowko311
B2W.Neo231
DeMusliM201
hiko187
Pyrionflax175
Livibee147
QueenE45
Trikslyr30
ZerO(Twitch)10
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1030
Other Games
BasetradeTV177
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV444
League of Legends
• Jankos1261
Other Games
• Shiphtur585
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
3h 26m
The PondCast
21h 26m
INu's Battles
22h 26m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 10h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.