• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:50
CEST 09:50
KST 16:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11853 users

[G] Roach Hydra in ZvT - Page 7

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
DKR
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom622 Posts
December 28 2012 11:50 GMT
#121
On December 28 2012 13:30 Emzeeshady wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 12:21 DKR wrote:
On December 28 2012 12:04 Entteri wrote:
After 2 years of calling hydra utterly useless in TvZ it is now suddenly kicking ass. I remember getting owned hard by this like a year ago while playing with MMM. Makes me wonder how this had worked pre-queenbuff because with this you would have a good reason to go roaches and make those hellions meaningless. Then again zerg was totally fine droning on 2 bases so I guess there was no real need to even think about smth like this.


There's been no Hydra buff which makes me wonder if this Hydra hype will once again disappear when Terran's cotton on and start building more marauders into their compositions. I know personally I have a very large ratio of Marines to Marauders (8:1 or higher).

The Hydralisk still has the same fundamental flaws it always did, this may well just be a fleeting change in the meta.

Wouldn't marines be better then rauders vs hydras?

The real solution is just to add more tanks imo


It depends on the ratio I guess, marines and hydras both do high dps and a hydra roach composition would be more deadly to pure marine than marine marauder. If it was just Hydra's I'd just build marines and a click to victory!
"1 base. Cheese man." - MKP. "[MVP] is not stylistic, his style is winning, which is the style you want to have." - Artosis
Stardroid
Profile Joined May 2011
United Kingdom159 Posts
December 28 2012 19:42 GMT
#122
Hydraling baneling is pretty great too -there was a recent thread on this but I forgot the guy's name. Love the Stephano games, as an aggressive player I think it really suits him to go mental with hydras (which you should, I think). I think I'll try out the roach 1-1 into roach hydra 2-2 for a bit of fun - the weakness to hellions is worrying though, people in diamond still seem to want to chuck 10-12 hellions at your mineral line no matter what.

And what happened to all the terrans anyway? a bit off topic but all I see online is protoss and zerg? Is it because they're no longer 'OP' (lol?). I'd love to play this out more but I don't get any terrans to play against!

A question - do you think, with a hydra based composition, drops followed by nydus would be a good choice once you reach 200 supply and T is on 3 bases? (i.e. drop in the main and make a nydus exit in the main and out to the third?)

Best
Stardroid
Space
True wisdom is as valuable as it is rare
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-28 20:04:56
December 28 2012 19:58 GMT
#123
On December 28 2012 20:50 DKR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 13:30 Emzeeshady wrote:
On December 28 2012 12:21 DKR wrote:
On December 28 2012 12:04 Entteri wrote:
After 2 years of calling hydra utterly useless in TvZ it is now suddenly kicking ass. I remember getting owned hard by this like a year ago while playing with MMM. Makes me wonder how this had worked pre-queenbuff because with this you would have a good reason to go roaches and make those hellions meaningless. Then again zerg was totally fine droning on 2 bases so I guess there was no real need to even think about smth like this.


There's been no Hydra buff which makes me wonder if this Hydra hype will once again disappear when Terran's cotton on and start building more marauders into their compositions. I know personally I have a very large ratio of Marines to Marauders (8:1 or higher).

The Hydralisk still has the same fundamental flaws it always did, this may well just be a fleeting change in the meta.

Wouldn't marines be better then rauders vs hydras?

The real solution is just to add more tanks imo


It depends on the ratio I guess, marines and hydras both do high dps and a hydra roach composition would be more deadly to pure marine than marine marauder. If it was just Hydra's I'd just build marines and a click to victory!


In my experience, there are two major things that shit on hydra/roach play from the Terran side.

1) Tanks. The obvious solution that nobody wants to build. They slaughter hydras and roaches with impunity, but their static nature does not allow for Terran to push out onto a creep-covered map all that quickly and thus allows Zerg plenty of time to transition over to a T3 army while under basically no pressure.

2) 2/2 bio. Once Terran infantry hits 2/2, the advantage given by the Zerg upgrades ceases to exist and Hydras, therefore, cease to be viable.

Simply making more marines doesn't cut it as 1) they are pretty bad vs roaches when behind on upgrades, and 2) if you don't have a lot of tanks, I can make like 6 banelings and throw the fight hugely in my favor regardless of ups.


The big point of this build is that Terran cannot comfortably secure their natural, make a 3rd OC to compete on econ, produce enough army to be a serious threat, rush upgrades to beat Zerg timings, AND attack all at the same time. So there is this natural window, both at the 1/1 and 2/2 timings, where Zerg has a sizable advantage in raw fighting power.

Unfortunately, I quit playing (about 95% less ladder now) before I finished smoothing out my transitions to T3, so that is still a rough spot for me when I was using the build.
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
EndOfLineTv
Profile Joined February 2011
United States741 Posts
December 28 2012 21:05 GMT
#124
On December 29 2012 04:58 Jermstuddog wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 28 2012 20:50 DKR wrote:
On December 28 2012 13:30 Emzeeshady wrote:
On December 28 2012 12:21 DKR wrote:
On December 28 2012 12:04 Entteri wrote:
After 2 years of calling hydra utterly useless in TvZ it is now suddenly kicking ass. I remember getting owned hard by this like a year ago while playing with MMM. Makes me wonder how this had worked pre-queenbuff because with this you would have a good reason to go roaches and make those hellions meaningless. Then again zerg was totally fine droning on 2 bases so I guess there was no real need to even think about smth like this.


There's been no Hydra buff which makes me wonder if this Hydra hype will once again disappear when Terran's cotton on and start building more marauders into their compositions. I know personally I have a very large ratio of Marines to Marauders (8:1 or higher).

The Hydralisk still has the same fundamental flaws it always did, this may well just be a fleeting change in the meta.

Wouldn't marines be better then rauders vs hydras?

The real solution is just to add more tanks imo


It depends on the ratio I guess, marines and hydras both do high dps and a hydra roach composition would be more deadly to pure marine than marine marauder. If it was just Hydra's I'd just build marines and a click to victory!


In my experience, there are two major things that shit on hydra/roach play from the Terran side.

1) Tanks. The obvious solution that nobody wants to build. They slaughter hydras and roaches with impunity, but their static nature does not allow for Terran to push out onto a creep-covered map all that quickly and thus allows Zerg plenty of time to transition over to a T3 army while under basically no pressure.

2) 2/2 bio. Once Terran infantry hits 2/2, the advantage given by the Zerg upgrades ceases to exist and Hydras, therefore, cease to be viable.

Simply making more marines doesn't cut it as 1) they are pretty bad vs roaches when behind on upgrades, and 2) if you don't have a lot of tanks, I can make like 6 banelings and throw the fight hugely in my favor regardless of ups.


The big point of this build is that Terran cannot comfortably secure their natural, make a 3rd OC to compete on econ, produce enough army to be a serious threat, rush upgrades to beat Zerg timings, AND attack all at the same time. So there is this natural window, both at the 1/1 and 2/2 timings, where Zerg has a sizable advantage in raw fighting power.

Unfortunately, I quit playing (about 95% less ladder now) before I finished smoothing out my transitions to T3, so that is still a rough spot for me when I was using the build.



Hey Bro, When I get back home from my family's place, we should trade notes. (See my recent post of the hydra pilgrimage)

I am top 8 masters on two accounts, and have been going roach hydra or roach ect for some time in zvt. I am also currently working on my mid to late game transitions, with some really cool results. I think I have it figured out ^_^ But I am testing alot of new builds now that I have a mid game goal in mind, and not just mindlessly going roach hydra
Jermstuddog
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2231 Posts
April 15 2013 13:57 GMT
#125
So I just picked up HotS on Saturday and, while my mechanics are quite rusty from my extended break I took, this build still seems to work perfectly in general.

Some of the modern adjustments I've made so far:

If my opponent opens with a reaper rush, I will general counter with 5-7 roaches to his natural while defending his reaper harass with my queens. This heavily delays the taking of the Terran expansion until they get banshees, siege tanks, or a mass of bio big enough to root out the roaches.

The new mutalisk and ultralisk allow for much stronger transitions out of the roach/hydra style and seems to have fixed the issues I was having moving into mid/late game armies. I can switch to melee upgrades after +1 range is done as +2 range is mostly worthless in ZvT. This allows me to make a quite considerable ling/bling/muta army around the 15-20 min mark as needed. There still seems to be some rough spots, but it generally feels a lot better than it did in WoL.

Widow mines are surprisingly a non-issue, I much prefer them to siege tanks. The thing about Siege tanks is they do consistent damage through the course of a fight, generally turning any engagement vs a terran army with tanks into a losing battle. Widow mines are a 1-shot type deal, and almost always target my roaches. Considering my roaches are mostly bullet-sponges anyway, this is fine. Also, they are much shorter range than siege tanks and I can often target a good number of them down before they activate.


So far, it seems that using this style and adjusting for the new mechanics of HotS, ZvT has easily become my best MU. Once I have a little more than 2-days of experience playing with it in HotS, I will write a new guide updating this style.
As it turns out, marines don't actually cost any money -Jinro
EndOfLineTv
Profile Joined February 2011
United States741 Posts
April 15 2013 14:09 GMT
#126
On April 15 2013 22:57 Jermstuddog wrote:
So I just picked up HotS on Saturday and, while my mechanics are quite rusty from my extended break I took, this build still seems to work perfectly in general.

Some of the modern adjustments I've made so far:

If my opponent opens with a reaper rush, I will general counter with 5-7 roaches to his natural while defending his reaper harass with my queens. This heavily delays the taking of the Terran expansion until they get banshees, siege tanks, or a mass of bio big enough to root out the roaches.

The new mutalisk and ultralisk allow for much stronger transitions out of the roach/hydra style and seems to have fixed the issues I was having moving into mid/late game armies. I can switch to melee upgrades after +1 range is done as +2 range is mostly worthless in ZvT. This allows me to make a quite considerable ling/bling/muta army around the 15-20 min mark as needed. There still seems to be some rough spots, but it generally feels a lot better than it did in WoL.

Widow mines are surprisingly a non-issue, I much prefer them to siege tanks. The thing about Siege tanks is they do consistent damage through the course of a fight, generally turning any engagement vs a terran army with tanks into a losing battle. Widow mines are a 1-shot type deal, and almost always target my roaches. Considering my roaches are mostly bullet-sponges anyway, this is fine. Also, they are much shorter range than siege tanks and I can often target a good number of them down before they activate.


So far, it seems that using this style and adjusting for the new mechanics of HotS, ZvT has easily become my best MU. Once I have a little more than 2-days of experience playing with it in HotS, I will write a new guide updating this style.


welcome back mate! <3<3
As one of your roach hydra peers. Let me suggest you try around with them vipers! Binding cloud on tanks, or bio really makes roach hydra VERY effective, and allows up to hit a turtle player.
Prev 1 5 6 7 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 10m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
hero 660
soO 527
BeSt 402
Hyuk 394
Killer 47
Mind 41
Shinee 34
Mong 30
Bale 25
ZergMaN 12
[ Show more ]
yabsab 9
Dota 2
monkeys_forever932
XaKoH 615
XcaliburYe188
League of Legends
JimRising 516
Other Games
summit1g9655
olofmeister727
ceh9559
Happy315
Livibee162
Mew2King81
ArmadaUGS53
crisheroes46
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick551
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH368
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2307
League of Legends
• Rush1385
• Stunt438
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
2h 10m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
3h 10m
Monday Night Weeklies
8h 10m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 2h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 16h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.