• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:19
CEST 16:19
KST 23:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9881 users

[G] TheCore Lite - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 22

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 51 Next
RamboJesus
Profile Joined January 2011
United States44 Posts
May 31 2012 03:59 GMT
#421
As a Zerg player I have some race specific issues with these keybinds, in addition with some other qualms that may cross racial boundaries.

First. How many people here instinctively place their fingers on ASDF? The vast majority of gamers I know, and trust me I asked before posting this (Myself included here) rest their fingers on WASD, which the majority of games use for movement. I understand that SC2 doesn't utilize wasd the way that other games do, however i find that my fingers only go to asdf when BOTH hands are on the keyboard and I'm typing, otherwise its simply WASD.

Onwards.

Creating a Spawning Pool, is extremely difficult to do first I must press v then z which is such an awkward motion no matter how you attempt to do it, you have to either remove your hand from the keyboard, or bend your pinky and thumb at such an angle to cause physical pain to your hand. Which I do not want.

Next. Maybe its just a Mac thing but in order to switch between hatcheries using caps lock you must press caps lock TWICE because SC2 only registers the act of activating caps lock as "caps lock" whilst deactivating caps lock is not registered as any sort of motion. With the current setup its a HUGE flaw for me, this causes me to miss injects frequently because I've got to press caps lock TEN times in order to inject all of my hatcheries which is a royal pain. Hardly efficient at all.

Perhaps I can change the screen locations so that TAB is the base camera, and the Shift + Tab save location is completely removed.

Also I find that the save locations aren't used very much as zerg, but maybe thats just my playstyle.
bgalang92
Profile Joined February 2011
United States155 Posts
May 31 2012 04:10 GMT
#422
RamboJesus, the point is not that everyone instinctively places their fingers on ASDF, but that it's ergonomically efficient and lets you hit all the other hotkeys in a comfortable manner. "Reason over tradition."

I also am not sure how hitting V then Z is a problem. It's exactly the same as ASDF. Trying it now, I literally just move my fingers down half an inch. I already use V for advanced buildings in a standard layout, so hitting Z after is a simply matter of throwing the pinky down where it would naturally lie on the keyboard.

Maybe that is a Mac thing. Caps Lock counts for each hit on my PC.

Why are you using Caps for Hatchery's anyway? If its for the backspace method, change to the Darkgrid Camera Save method. It's much better.

And there is no case where using Camera save locations is bad. None. At all, though I will admit there's less for Zerg to need on a camera, besides bases and maybe creep/XelNaga Towers.
RamboJesus
Profile Joined January 2011
United States44 Posts
May 31 2012 06:56 GMT
#423
I am using caps for the base camera because thats what Jakataks keybinds are set to.

Also in the case of V and Z perhaps you have small fingers? Mine are very long, as in I can palm basketballs with ease.
bgalang92
Profile Joined February 2011
United States155 Posts
May 31 2012 08:17 GMT
#424
I do agree, using caps for backspace injects would be weird. However, with this system, (similar to Darkgrid) there is a different way of injecting that is much easier. Copy and Pasted from Darkgrid's thread,

"This is how it's done: Press and hold shift, press E, press and hold alt (while still holding shift), press Q, click mouse to inject, press W, click mouse to inject, Press D, click mouse to inject, release Alt and Shift."

The letters correspond to each of your base cameras. So pretty much you select queens, hit inject, hold shift, then rapidly click on a base, use the base cams to cycle to the next base (with camera saves).

Ah. Well I can see that, I'm sorry. I have fairly large hands too, I can go from "a" to the ' key from pinky to thumb, resting on asdf then going to zxcv cause its one key per finger. I can't imagine how you could be comfortable with wasd and not asdf, since asdf is spread out in comparison.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
May 31 2012 17:01 GMT
#425
For those of you who want to get on the new layout right now with no instruction or artwork or name, just use the Spreadsheet and enter in the keys manually. JIOP is for right handed mouse users. WERG is for left handed mouse users. Everything you need is there. We'll be releasing as soon as we can. I will reiterate that i am spending 3-5 hours 7 days a week specifically on this layout. We're doing the best we can to release as soon as possible and we appreciate your patience.

The new layout will (after time) be solving hand size issues as well as race specific issues. If you use the new layout for your hand size or race and are still having problems, we would definitely appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
IlK
Profile Joined May 2012
18 Posts
June 01 2012 00:09 GMT
#426
Also in the case of V and Z perhaps you have small fingers?

Thats not the problem, neither for me nor for others.

As u see, i can use my pinky or ringfinger for y, usually i use the ringfinger; that may be due to my handsize or simply cuz i never understood why i should use my pinky for letters instead of resting it on the shift key, in german u need a lot of shift :D
In SC2 i guess.
if u make a video we can probably help u why its not working for u.


JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
June 01 2012 16:33 GMT
#427
Excellent suggestion IIK. Videos are almost always helpful. Pictures are worth 1,000 words, videos are worth 1,000,000 IMO
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Goldbullet
Profile Joined August 2011
United States88 Posts
June 01 2012 17:00 GMT
#428
I think it's a cool idea. Doesn't stephano use something like this?
may your plans be as dark and impenetrable as night, and when u move, fall like a thunderbolt.- Sun Tzu
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 19:05:00
June 01 2012 17:05 GMT
#429
On June 02 2012 02:00 Goldbullet wrote:
I think it's a cool idea. Doesn't stephano use something like this?


Pretty much all pro gamers are rebinding some keys now (especially 9 and 0 but often times not 8) However, I know of few layouts like this available for everyone. I've also heard that stephano only uses 2 control groups for army. I can't confirm or deny any of this stuff.

TheCore, the new layout developed in conjunction with FoxyMayhem (creator of DarkGrid), is now released in beta! This layout goes far beyond anything I've ever seen in layouts, and improves on Chameleon in every way.

It may see changes as this is our first pulic beta. If you're okay with that, and want to take your control to the next level and reduce wrist strain, dive in!


EDITED for name change
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Sheogorath
Profile Joined March 2012
Sweden16 Posts
June 04 2012 17:23 GMT
#430
How about binding CGs to the scroll? Seems useful for macro and I find it hard to believe zooming oututilizes it.
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
June 04 2012 18:19 GMT
#431
On June 05 2012 02:23 Sheogorath wrote:
How about binding CGs to the scroll? Seems useful for macro and I find it hard to believe zooming oututilizes it.


The issue with the scroll wheel is that it takes your finger off of a primary mouse button (which I feel is very inefficient) However, If one was gripping the mouse so that 3 fingers were used, this would be a possibility that would sacrifice no inefficiency but would require a "relearning" of mouse accuracy. It is a very interesting concept that I have been considering. Do you know anyone who has tried this?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
June 04 2012 20:11 GMT
#432
On June 05 2012 03:19 JaKaTaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2012 02:23 Sheogorath wrote:
How about binding CGs to the scroll? Seems useful for macro and I find it hard to believe zooming oututilizes it.


The issue with the scroll wheel is that it takes your finger off of a primary mouse button (which I feel is very inefficient) However, If one was gripping the mouse so that 3 fingers were used, this would be a possibility that would sacrifice no inefficiency but would require a "relearning" of mouse accuracy. It is a very interesting concept that I have been considering. Do you know anyone who has tried this?


Lots of people do it, but it requires Mouse Driver changes, which leaves it vulnerable to Tournament rules.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
June 04 2012 20:15 GMT
#433
On June 05 2012 05:11 Kaitlin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 05 2012 03:19 JaKaTaK wrote:
On June 05 2012 02:23 Sheogorath wrote:
How about binding CGs to the scroll? Seems useful for macro and I find it hard to believe zooming oututilizes it.


The issue with the scroll wheel is that it takes your finger off of a primary mouse button (which I feel is very inefficient) However, If one was gripping the mouse so that 3 fingers were used, this would be a possibility that would sacrifice no inefficiency but would require a "relearning" of mouse accuracy. It is a very interesting concept that I have been considering. Do you know anyone who has tried this?


Lots of people do it, but it requires Mouse Driver changes, which leaves it vulnerable to Tournament rules.


Do you think it results in a loss of mouse accuracy or finger strain?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Kaitlin
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2958 Posts
June 04 2012 20:47 GMT
#434
No finger strain in my experience, and I've been doing it since custom hotkeys came out. I use Scroll forward for main army and Scroll Back has been used for various things over time.

For mouse accuracy issues, it depends what the control groups are used for. I wouldn't suggest any usage where you want to go back and forth quickly between them. For example, spellcaster subgroups of main army would be a bad application. However, one as a main army, and the other as perhaps a group of stalkers or zerglings out on the map scouting and such would be good. Used in this way, the 'double click' action would be made easier with the mouse scroll, and the change of the camera location combined with the need to activate a spell or ability using the keyboard would provide enough of a timing window where complete mouse accuracy can be restored.

I guess what I'm thinking here is that mouse accuracy after activating either control group is fine, but switching back and forth frequently would have a very negative impact on mouse accuracy.
Fetchystick
Profile Joined November 2011
United States43 Posts
June 04 2012 21:42 GMT
#435
If I adopt this hotkey setup, I'm never going to be able to play BW again ^.^

Oh well. This is really neat. I'm definitely going to put this to the test.
"He's either really dumb or he's up to no good. Either way, I should probably all-in.
PoYo!
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands9 Posts
June 10 2012 07:22 GMT
#436
Just qualified for IeSF world championship with your hotkey setup! :D
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-12 22:32:28
June 10 2012 21:13 GMT
#437
Holy shit PoYo! Make sure you PM me when you start playing in that tournament so I can cheer for you! :D

For future reference, the name of the layout from here on out is now Chameleon. "JaKaTaK Righty" was a shitty name. Hopefully one of the mods will notice my request and change the name of the thread. :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
ZardiChar
Profile Joined February 2012
United States21 Posts
June 15 2012 01:39 GMT
#438
I'm a gold level Terran player who just started learning this hotkey setup. I'm not using the Core as I mainly game on a laptop and that would obviously not work with the Core.
It has only been about 15 games of 4v4s, 2v2s and eventually 1v1s and I am now mostly comfortable with the layout except for things like upgrades and the more obscure buildings and units.
While my macro is not where it used to be when I played Standard, I can just feel that this setup is more efficient. I still need to get used to the tech lab/reactor keys, the combined rax, fact, port all on one and tabbing in between them. Also, I think that my multitasking skills just aren't good enough to use eight unit hotkeys, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for making this! I hope that I can use it to improve my mechanics, multitasking and get me into Platinum or even Diamond!
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
June 15 2012 16:23 GMT
#439
On June 15 2012 10:39 ZardiChar wrote:
I'm a gold level Terran player who just started learning this hotkey setup. I'm not using the Core as I mainly game on a laptop and that would obviously not work with the Core.
It has only been about 15 games of 4v4s, 2v2s and eventually 1v1s and I am now mostly comfortable with the layout except for things like upgrades and the more obscure buildings and units.
While my macro is not where it used to be when I played Standard, I can just feel that this setup is more efficient. I still need to get used to the tech lab/reactor keys, the combined rax, fact, port all on one and tabbing in between them. Also, I think that my multitasking skills just aren't good enough to use eight unit hotkeys, but I'm getting there.

Thanks for making this! I hope that I can use it to improve my mechanics, multitasking and get me into Platinum or even Diamond!


You're welcome! Glad to help :D
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
TnT :)
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands12 Posts
June 18 2012 16:23 GMT
#440
i have bin using this setup for like 2 monthes, learning this it the best thing i have ever done in my starcraft 2 carrere
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 51 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 900
ComeBackTV 585
SteadfastSC458
TaKeTV 336
Rex130
IndyStarCraft 106
EnkiAlexander 50
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 458
ProTech146
Rex 130
IndyStarCraft 106
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 47978
Bisu 2909
Horang2 1379
EffOrt 767
Soma 572
BeSt 564
Hyuk 533
Light 430
Mini 424
Larva 342
[ Show more ]
ZerO 231
Rush 217
Mong 83
Leta 72
910 61
Sea.KH 58
Snow 53
Pusan 51
ToSsGirL 45
Mind 36
Sexy 33
Aegong 31
JYJ 29
Yoon 24
Bale 23
Terrorterran 20
Trap 17
Rock 12
Noble 10
Sacsri 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc6274
qojqva252
Counter-Strike
Fnx 770
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1457
Khaldor1093
Lowko464
Other Games
singsing2061
olofmeister1750
hiko1379
Beastyqt583
B2W.Neo407
Livibee197
Hui .183
XaKoH 153
Liquid`VortiX145
ArmadaUGS106
djWHEAT83
Mew2King68
KnowMe62
QueenE56
ZerO(Twitch)11
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 32
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2935
Other Games
• Shiphtur22
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 41m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 41m
Online Event
20h 41m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.