• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:31
CEST 06:31
KST 13:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7312 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 329

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 327 328 329 330 331 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
September 17 2012 02:07 GMT
#6561
On September 17 2012 11:02 Mavvie wrote:
Anyone played against a gas first into 3rax (all with reactor) marine all-in? It hits right when WG finishes, and fakes an expand. He built a bunker at his front, but I scouted no CC so knew it was a 1base gas all-in. However, it was just pure marine, only mining 150 gas for 3 reactors. He overwhelmed me with superior production, killing me around 9:00.

How do I react to fast gas openers? I also lost to a hellion drop killing 80% of my probes because I was being aggressive with my zealot/2x stalker. Does him taking a fast gas require me to be passive?


Could you upload the replays?
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 17 2012 02:13 GMT
#6562
On September 17 2012 11:07 rd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2012 11:02 Mavvie wrote:
Anyone played against a gas first into 3rax (all with reactor) marine all-in? It hits right when WG finishes, and fakes an expand. He built a bunker at his front, but I scouted no CC so knew it was a 1base gas all-in. However, it was just pure marine, only mining 150 gas for 3 reactors. He overwhelmed me with superior production, killing me around 9:00.

How do I react to fast gas openers? I also lost to a hellion drop killing 80% of my probes because I was being aggressive with my zealot/2x stalker. Does him taking a fast gas require me to be passive?


Could you upload the replays?

I'll upload the one about the 3rax reactor all in, but I'd like a general answer to dealing with gas openers. I know that scouting is covered in MC's 1gate FE guide, but I didn't find much. I scouted a bunker and no marauders, but I knew he opened gas first. I expected cloakshees, so went stalker heavy.

The second game I scouted rax->gas and didn't know what to do. I poked the front and lost all my probes right as WG came online.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-17 02:57:25
September 17 2012 02:25 GMT
#6563
On September 17 2012 11:13 Mavvie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 17 2012 11:07 rd wrote:
On September 17 2012 11:02 Mavvie wrote:
Anyone played against a gas first into 3rax (all with reactor) marine all-in? It hits right when WG finishes, and fakes an expand. He built a bunker at his front, but I scouted no CC so knew it was a 1base gas all-in. However, it was just pure marine, only mining 150 gas for 3 reactors. He overwhelmed me with superior production, killing me around 9:00.

How do I react to fast gas openers? I also lost to a hellion drop killing 80% of my probes because I was being aggressive with my zealot/2x stalker. Does him taking a fast gas require me to be passive?


Could you upload the replays?

I'll upload the one about the 3rax reactor all in, but I'd like a general answer to dealing with gas openers. I know that scouting is covered in MC's 1gate FE guide, but I didn't find much. I scouted a bunker and no marauders, but I knew he opened gas first. I expected cloakshees, so went stalker heavy.

The second game I scouted rax->gas and didn't know what to do. I poked the front and lost all my probes right as WG came online.


Your timings aren't really making sense, which is why the replay would help to clear things up. If you 1 gate core expand at 26-30 supply producing stalkers, then yes, you can be aggressive. His hellions should only be popping out when your stalker first arrives. If he walled in he'll HAVE to pull scvs or you'll just supply block every other hellion and outright kill him. But if he goes gas first fast reactor skipping the marine, he won't even have a bunker. 4-5 chrono-boosted stalkers can kill this outright.

Your poke however should arrive almost two minutes before WG would finish with a single cboost, every other cboost on stalkers. I'd upload the replay just because your description seems to be missing something.

edit: If he does get a bunker at his ramp with a marine in it, you can't really attack into it with a zealot/2 stalker poke. Seeing gas first/bunker should provoke you to produce stalkers for the next 1-2 minutes with a robo after the nexus is planted. Stalkers at the edge of your base, etc. One base Banshees, Hellion drops or any follow-up all-ins (1/1/1, marauder/hellion) can be held this way.
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
September 17 2012 02:26 GMT
#6564
For gas openers you chrono units instead of chronoing warpgates. Then its just a matter of knowing timings. throw down 2 additional gateways around 5:20 i think and a robo around 6 i want to say. You should also keep a probe somewhere on the map just in case you get contained in ur base and kill ur main. You can poke his ramp with the 1 zealot stalker to see what he has. if you just scout marines then keep 2 stalker in your main to deal with banshees and hellion drops. if he stays on one base you should go up to 5 gateways and about 44 probes.
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
ThePianoDentist
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom698 Posts
September 17 2012 03:17 GMT
#6565
On September 17 2012 11:26 MysteryMeat1 wrote:
For gas openers you chrono units instead of chronoing warpgates. Then its just a matter of knowing timings. throw down 2 additional gateways around 5:20 i think and a robo around 6 i want to say. You should also keep a probe somewhere on the map just in case you get contained in ur base and kill ur main. You can poke his ramp with the 1 zealot stalker to see what he has. if you just scout marines then keep 2 stalker in your main to deal with banshees and hellion drops. if he stays on one base you should go up to 5 gateways and about 44 probes.


whilst i agree with virtually all of this surely going up to 44 probes against 1 base terran means his all-in hits whilst you are still probing up, cutting somewhere in the 30's gives you a larger army for when his attack hits. especially as if you are going for 5 gates and a robo the natural gases aren't really necessary so that's less probes you need.

Brood War Protoss, SC2 Terran/Protoss
Sated
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
England4983 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-17 12:15:40
September 17 2012 12:14 GMT
#6566
--- Nuked ---
igay
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Australia1178 Posts
September 17 2012 12:22 GMT
#6567
can someone please link or give me a build order for 1 base colluses PvP? i can't seem to find anything relevant.
MVP <3 MKP <3 DRG <3
skyafterrain
Profile Joined November 2010
Thailand22 Posts
September 17 2012 13:29 GMT
#6568
Hi gus, silver protoss here looking for some helps.

I'm looking for a simple BO/strategy to help get me out of low level league, somethings that equivalent to terran 3 rax stim timing that hit around 7-8 mins to apply pressure and perhaps transition later, I know some of you may think I should practice macro and try to early expand, but it is not working for me since there are so many cheeses in low level, more over this pressure also help improving mechanics(always build workers and keep money low). That why I'm looking for a build that can apply pressure(so I have my army units early to defense against cheese) and transition later.

For PvT : I found 3 gate pressure is what I'm looking for but for PvP and PvZ, I cant find find any BO that work this way

Thanks in advance :3



There is nothing either right or wrong but thinking makes it so
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 17 2012 13:34 GMT
#6569
PvZ: FFE->4Gate +1 Zealot http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=287970
PvP: 11Gate 3Gate pressure: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=273465
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
skyafterrain
Profile Joined November 2010
Thailand22 Posts
September 17 2012 13:55 GMT
#6570
On September 17 2012 22:34 Teoita wrote:
PvZ: FFE->4Gate +1 Zealot http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=287970
PvP: 11Gate 3Gate pressure: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=273465


Thanks so much ^^
There is nothing either right or wrong but thinking makes it so
M7Jagger
Profile Joined March 2012
Sweden237 Posts
September 17 2012 15:02 GMT
#6571
What is the best way to deny drops as protoss?

User was temp banned for this post.
Brace your're selves. Grammar, nazis are Coming
etherealfall
Profile Joined December 2011
Australia476 Posts
September 17 2012 15:09 GMT
#6572
Wow. Monk. Youre amazing.
scsequeL
Profile Joined June 2012
47 Posts
September 17 2012 16:59 GMT
#6573
Can someone give some tips about hot to play when Terran takes an early gas. This indicates early banshees or an early hellion drop. When you see this, do you 2/3gate expand ? Do you pressure with your initial gates ? Can you give me some timings that a good Terran will hit with a Hellion drop. Any strats/alls-ins/transitions would be great.

go go go
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
September 17 2012 17:27 GMT
#6574
On September 18 2012 01:59 scsequeL wrote:
Can someone give some tips about hot to play when Terran takes an early gas. This indicates early banshees or an early hellion drop. When you see this, do you 2/3gate expand ? Do you pressure with your initial gates ? Can you give me some timings that a good Terran will hit with a Hellion drop. Any strats/alls-ins/transitions would be great.




If you follow MC's 1 gate fe you should poke with ur zealot stalker to confirm what he is spending his gas on. What I like to do after scouting gas with my initial probe is to make sure it gets out of his base with zero hull dmg. If you manage this you can get past a marine if his stutter stepping is less than perfect for another scout. You should also poke with ur zealot stalker and if you confirm a factory chrono a more stalker heavy army. At this point you throw down two more gate ways.and your robo slightly after.

4 different scenarios:

hellions without dropshipped. These come earlier so to deal with this i keep a zealot at the watchtower and two stalkers on the ramp. I don't like to transfer probes to my main until all three gateways come up.

2. Hellion drop ill warp in two more stalkers and keep them in drop zones.

3. you already have the stalkers from the potential hellions all you need is obs. Depending on when your robo finishes you may want to keep your 1st obs at home.

4. 1-1-1
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 17 2012 17:45 GMT
#6575
Adding on to that, there's always the possibility of some bio opening, wether it's reaper expand, marauder expand, or an aggressive 2rax. The correct reactions to those are also covered in Monk's 1gate fe guide, as well as in kcdc's pvt guide.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
garsh0p
Profile Joined February 2010
United States30 Posts
September 18 2012 19:52 GMT
#6576
does anyone have a replay of the PvP 4 gate warp prism all in? also, are 4 gate blink all ins and phoenix gate all ins still good in PvP? replays or build orders of those would be great. thanks!
Vaalyr
Profile Joined June 2012
Canada16 Posts
September 18 2012 23:57 GMT
#6577
Looking for some help as a new Protoss player [I main Zerg and my smurf account is usually Terran] I have a replay from this week that I think showcases my level as Protoss at the moment and I'd like someone with more experience to go through them and hopefully see something I haven't noticed about me or the build.

PvP in Antiga Shipyard, I have been trying a 2gate Robo FE build in PvP because I just don't like early gateway timings. It worked very well in this game and to be honest I don't think my opponent had a chance as long as I didn't make a big mistake but I think its a great example of where my Macro is at the moment and the build as a whole.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=271608

As far as the build goes, the original idea I got from watching an old Day9 Daily so I'm not some kind of magic build maker, but I did change a couple things to suit me better. I'll take anything you guys notice, I've gone through the replay a couple times and noticed some things but I'm sure you fine folks from Aiur know more.

Thanks :D
DRG is my religion.
CrazyF1r3f0x
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States2120 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-19 06:05:42
September 19 2012 06:05 GMT
#6578
On September 19 2012 08:57 Vaalyr wrote:
Looking for some help as a new Protoss player [I main Zerg and my smurf account is usually Terran] I have a replay from this week that I think showcases my level as Protoss at the moment and I'd like someone with more experience to go through them and hopefully see something I haven't noticed about me or the build.

PvP in Antiga Shipyard, I have been trying a 2gate Robo FE build in PvP because I just don't like early gateway timings. It worked very well in this game and to be honest I don't think my opponent had a chance as long as I didn't make a big mistake but I think its a great example of where my Macro is at the moment and the build as a whole.

http://www.gamereplays.org/starcraft2/replays.php?game=33&show=details&id=271608

As far as the build goes, the original idea I got from watching an old Day9 Daily so I'm not some kind of magic build maker, but I did change a couple things to suit me better. I'll take anything you guys notice, I've gone through the replay a couple times and noticed some things but I'm sure you fine folks from Aiur know more.

Thanks :D

Okay so I'll help you out with some refinement.
PvP is all about information, there are a lot of different things either player could be doing, and all these things typically require many different responses, depending on what you are doing. That being said, you dropped your robo and a second gate before getting your first gateway unit--not only will your opponent know what your are doing, but if was doing, lets say, a 3 stalker opening, he could have run in, sniped your stalker, and gotten a lot of probe kills before you had any units to defend, while doing that he could have dropped an expo, so he would be massively ahead. Or he could have used his saved up CB on warpgate, not taken his secondgas, and 4 gated you; even by the 7:15 minute mark, you would have still not had enough to defend a 4 gate, which usually hits at 5:45.

Here ( http://drop.sc/254669 ) is my execution of the build in this game (I'm CrazyFirefox); though the replay is nearly 3 months old, this is still a viable execution. I wish I could get a more recent one, but I've been doing blink obs as of late, so I don't have any good ones.
"Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery."
EsportsJohn
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
United States4883 Posts
September 19 2012 13:17 GMT
#6579
Could someone tell me the general timing for checking for a 3rd base in PvZ? I've been playing a lot of PvZ with FFE and I mostly just play by feel, but I've never been able to get an exact read on the point of diversion between zerg going 3 hatches or going 2-hatch aggression. Also, if you don't mind, could you explain toss's reaction to each of the following scenarios:

1) scout 3rd, no 3rd, poke into main, see gas
2) scout 3rd, no 3rd, probes dies before seeing gas or tech
3) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is somewhat late, poke into main, see gas
4) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is really early, no gas

Feel free to group things up if that makes it easier to answer.

Thanks!
StrategyAllyssa Grey <3<3
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-19 16:42:46
September 19 2012 14:07 GMT
#6580
On September 19 2012 22:17 SC2John wrote:
Could someone tell me the general timing for checking for a 3rd base in PvZ? I've been playing a lot of PvZ with FFE and I mostly just play by feel, but I've never been able to get an exact read on the point of diversion between zerg going 3 hatches or going 2-hatch aggression. Also, if you don't mind, could you explain toss's reaction to each of the following scenarios:

1) scout 3rd, no 3rd, poke into main, see gas
2) scout 3rd, no 3rd, probes dies before seeing gas or tech
3) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is somewhat late, poke into main, see gas
4) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is really early, no gas

Feel free to group things up if that makes it easier to answer.

Thanks!

3rd base generally goes down between 4:00 and 4:30. Closer to 4:00 if they skip the first queen(rare), closer to 4:30 if they don't (common). You should probably scout a bit after 4:30, I'd say 4:40ish so that your probe can spot incoming drones to the third on your way to his main should he chose a slightly later timing.

1 and 2 are similar. If he has no third by 4:40, and for some reason has no gas, he's playing inefficiently, so you might as well be safe. You have to account for all the 2 base all-in possibilities as well as all the 2 base macro plays. Baneling bust, Roach all-in, different nydus plays, proxy spines, 2 base baneling drop all-in, 2 base muta, 2 base infestor, 2 base low econ standard play. Basically, at least 2 cannons at front, start making sentries, get vision of your entire base, get some decently fast gates, have something versus both infestors and mutalisks. Seed vs Suhosin shows a decent response that covers all of these.

3 means they're either doing a 3 hatch baneling bust, a hatch cancel roach/baneling bust, or a defensive speedling opening, usually into fast lair. You'll can scout each of these out from speed timings, and again, sentries are key.

4 is standard, do w/e. Also, no fast speedlings, so fast 3rd base is safe.
Moderator
Prev 1 327 328 329 330 331 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 208
ProTech141
Nina 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2093
Shuttle 991
Snow 100
Dewaltoss 48
Bale 40
Noble 38
Hm[arnc] 23
Icarus 4
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm157
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1131
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor684
Other Games
summit1g8426
JimRising 653
C9.Mang0309
PiGStarcraft307
Mew2King208
ArmadaUGS54
ViBE48
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 22
• Response 14
• Letter145
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2340
League of Legends
• Lourlo1078
• Rush777
• Stunt251
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 29m
OSC
17h 29m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.