• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:31
CEST 06:31
KST 13:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7312 users

The Protoss Help Me Thread - Page 330

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 328 329 330 331 332 432 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action.
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-19 14:13:27
September 19 2012 14:12 GMT
#6581
On September 19 2012 22:17 SC2John wrote:
Could someone tell me the general timing for checking for a 3rd base in PvZ? I've been playing a lot of PvZ with FFE and I mostly just play by feel, but I've never been able to get an exact read on the point of diversion between zerg going 3 hatches or going 2-hatch aggression. Also, if you don't mind, could you explain toss's reaction to each of the following scenarios:

1) scout 3rd, no 3rd, poke into main, see gas
2) scout 3rd, no 3rd, probes dies before seeing gas or tech
3) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is somewhat late, poke into main, see gas
4) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is really early, no gas

Feel free to group things up if that makes it easier to answer.

Thanks!


A third that goes up anywhere between ~4:15 and 5:15 is normal.

1) Does he have just main gas, or all 4 gas? How does his drone count look? Are there speedlings? If his drone count seems low and/or he only has the gas in his main but not natural, I would be expecting a roach or baneling all-in. Otherwise it could just be 2 base lair play (which can also be an all-in, such as a fast drop, nydus, etc., but also can be muta or infestor into standard macro game). In other words keep trying to scout (ex. zealot sac), make sure you get robo or stargate asap to keep scouting, chrono warpgate tech, and if you get suspicious chrono out sentries and extra cannons. Don't hesitate to completely wall off.

2) Follow what I say in 1), except now you're suspicious. Don't over make sentries though (no more than 2-3) because they won't be very useful against fast muta or infestor.

3) Be suspicious of a 3 base all-in like that 3 base baneling/ling all-in, or 3 base roach/ling with no drones at the 3rd. Proceed normally but cautiously, make sure you get sentries early, and keep scouting for things like zergling speed or an abnormally large number of lings.

4) He's playing standard macro. React however you want.
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
September 19 2012 15:42 GMT
#6582
On September 19 2012 23:12 rsvp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2012 22:17 SC2John wrote:
Could someone tell me the general timing for checking for a 3rd base in PvZ? I've been playing a lot of PvZ with FFE and I mostly just play by feel, but I've never been able to get an exact read on the point of diversion between zerg going 3 hatches or going 2-hatch aggression. Also, if you don't mind, could you explain toss's reaction to each of the following scenarios:

1) scout 3rd, no 3rd, poke into main, see gas
2) scout 3rd, no 3rd, probes dies before seeing gas or tech
3) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is somewhat late, poke into main, see gas
4) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is really early, no gas

Feel free to group things up if that makes it easier to answer.

Thanks!


A third that goes up anywhere between ~4:15 and 5:15 is normal.

1) Does he have just main gas, or all 4 gas? How does his drone count look? Are there speedlings? If his drone count seems low and/or he only has the gas in his main but not natural, I would be expecting a roach or baneling all-in. Otherwise it could just be 2 base lair play (which can also be an all-in, such as a fast drop, nydus, etc., but also can be muta or infestor into standard macro game). In other words keep trying to scout (ex. zealot sac), make sure you get robo or stargate asap to keep scouting, chrono warpgate tech, and if you get suspicious chrono out sentries and extra cannons. Don't hesitate to completely wall off.

2) Follow what I say in 1), except now you're suspicious. Don't over make sentries though (no more than 2-3) because they won't be very useful against fast muta or infestor.

3) Be suspicious of a 3 base all-in like that 3 base baneling/ling all-in, or 3 base roach/ling with no drones at the 3rd. Proceed normally but cautiously, make sure you get sentries early, and keep scouting for things like zergling speed or an abnormally large number of lings.

4) He's playing standard macro. React however you want.


Super well said. One thing that tips off the mass ling baneling off 3 base all in for me is speed around 8 minutes and a lot of lings if you see them.

Often I find that roaches come before speed for a 3 base roach ling all in, but speed comes quite early for a 3 base baneling all in.


StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
September 19 2012 16:43 GMT
#6583
On September 20 2012 00:42 ZeromuS wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 19 2012 23:12 rsvp wrote:
On September 19 2012 22:17 SC2John wrote:
Could someone tell me the general timing for checking for a 3rd base in PvZ? I've been playing a lot of PvZ with FFE and I mostly just play by feel, but I've never been able to get an exact read on the point of diversion between zerg going 3 hatches or going 2-hatch aggression. Also, if you don't mind, could you explain toss's reaction to each of the following scenarios:

1) scout 3rd, no 3rd, poke into main, see gas
2) scout 3rd, no 3rd, probes dies before seeing gas or tech
3) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is somewhat late, poke into main, see gas
4) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is really early, no gas

Feel free to group things up if that makes it easier to answer.

Thanks!


A third that goes up anywhere between ~4:15 and 5:15 is normal.

1) Does he have just main gas, or all 4 gas? How does his drone count look? Are there speedlings? If his drone count seems low and/or he only has the gas in his main but not natural, I would be expecting a roach or baneling all-in. Otherwise it could just be 2 base lair play (which can also be an all-in, such as a fast drop, nydus, etc., but also can be muta or infestor into standard macro game). In other words keep trying to scout (ex. zealot sac), make sure you get robo or stargate asap to keep scouting, chrono warpgate tech, and if you get suspicious chrono out sentries and extra cannons. Don't hesitate to completely wall off.

2) Follow what I say in 1), except now you're suspicious. Don't over make sentries though (no more than 2-3) because they won't be very useful against fast muta or infestor.

3) Be suspicious of a 3 base all-in like that 3 base baneling/ling all-in, or 3 base roach/ling with no drones at the 3rd. Proceed normally but cautiously, make sure you get sentries early, and keep scouting for things like zergling speed or an abnormally large number of lings.

4) He's playing standard macro. React however you want.


Super well said. One thing that tips off the mass ling baneling off 3 base all in for me is speed around 8 minutes and a lot of lings if you see them.

Often I find that roaches come before speed for a 3 base roach ling all in, but speed comes quite early for a 3 base baneling all in.



wow, way to indirectly hate
Moderator
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 19 2012 17:12 GMT
#6584
Aaaaawww poor monk. There there.

3rd base generally goes down between 4:00 and 4:30. Closer to 4:00 if they skip the first queen(rare), closer to 4:30 if they don't (common). You should probably scout a bit after 4:30, I'd say 4:40ish so that your probe can spot incoming drones to the third on your way to his main should he chose a slightly later timing.

1 and 2 are similar. If he has no third by 4:40, and for some reason has no gas, he's playing inefficiently, so you might as well be safe. You have to account for all the 2 base all-in possibilities as well as all the 2 base macro plays. Baneling bust, Roach all-in, different nydus plays, proxy spines, 2 base baneling drop all-in, 2 base muta, 2 base infestor, 2 base low econ standard play. Basically, at least 2 cannons at front, start making sentries, get vision of your entire base, get some decently fast gates, have something versus both infestors and mutalisks. Seed vs Suhosin shows a decent response that covers all of these.

3 means they're either doing a 3 hatch baneling bust, a hatch cancel roach/baneling bust, or a defensive speedling opening, usually into fast lair. You'll can scout each of these out from speed timings, and again, sentries are key.

4 is standard, do w/e. Also, no fast speedlings, so fast 3rd base is safe.


Yeah monk's right. Generally if you don't 100% confirm 3 hatch no gas, be really really careful and active with your scouting. Lately i have seen lots of roach allins are REALLY damn similar to 3hatch no gas and if you don't 100% confirm he doesn't have gas, you can't really tell the difference. A good example is Best vs Hydra in match 1 of proleague semi finals, in which Best was completely destroyed by a roach allin that looked exactly like standard play.
I think you could tell the difference by drone counts and potentially timing on the second queen at the nat, but i haven't studied those games enough to be sure.
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-19 18:10:03
September 19 2012 18:08 GMT
#6585
What do I do against speedling openings when I FFE? I can usually zealot scout but it really depends on the map. It's so hard to tell if it's just speed expo or an all-in coming. In my laddering experience though, Fast speed almost always indicates an all-in, so I throw down a second cannon and try to chrono out a sentry. However, on some maps it seems like my wall-in is way more vulnerable, and I'll still die to an all-in even with a sentry and extra cannon.

How should I react to seeing a couple speedlings 4-6, with my zealot poke? Throw down 2 more cannons? Try to chrono another zealot out to scout?

Also, I've played against players who just move drones from their main to their nat to make it look like drones produced if they do see my zealot scout coming, what the hell do I do about that? Ridiculously smart play;;
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
September 19 2012 18:11 GMT
#6586
On September 20 2012 03:08 mizU wrote:
What do I do against speedling openings when I FFE? I can usually zealot scout but it really depends on the map. It's so hard to tell if it's just speed expo or an all-in coming. In my laddering experience though, Fast speed almost always indicates an all-in, so I throw down a second cannon and try to chrono out a sentry. However, on some maps it seems like my wall-in is way more vulnerable, and I'll still die to an all-in even with a sentry and extra cannon.

How should I react to seeing a couple speedlings 4-6, with my zealot poke? Throw down 2 more cannons? Try to chrono another zealot out to scout?

Also, I've played against players who just move drones from their main to their nat to make it look like drones produced if they do see my zealot scout coming, what the hell do I do about that? Ridiculously smart play;;


I chrono out 2 zealots, which will beat 4-6 lings. If he makes more lings than that, add 2-3 extra cannons, chrono sentries.
Teoita
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Italy12248 Posts
September 19 2012 18:16 GMT
#6587
Do you stick to one cannon or do you always get 2 blindly vs speed openings?
ModeratorProtoss all-ins are like a wok. You can throw whatever you want in there and it will turn out alright.
Ashent
Profile Joined November 2011
Korea (South)109 Posts
September 19 2012 19:09 GMT
#6588
I've looked around and been unable to find the proxy 2gate + cannon build that I've seen occasionally. Can anyone provide a build order so that I can look at it?
ww
mizU
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States12125 Posts
September 19 2012 19:39 GMT
#6589
On September 20 2012 03:11 rsvp wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 03:08 mizU wrote:
What do I do against speedling openings when I FFE? I can usually zealot scout but it really depends on the map. It's so hard to tell if it's just speed expo or an all-in coming. In my laddering experience though, Fast speed almost always indicates an all-in, so I throw down a second cannon and try to chrono out a sentry. However, on some maps it seems like my wall-in is way more vulnerable, and I'll still die to an all-in even with a sentry and extra cannon.

How should I react to seeing a couple speedlings 4-6, with my zealot poke? Throw down 2 more cannons? Try to chrono another zealot out to scout?

Also, I've played against players who just move drones from their main to their nat to make it look like drones produced if they do see my zealot scout coming, what the hell do I do about that? Ridiculously smart play;;


I chrono out 2 zealots, which will beat 4-6 lings. If he makes more lings than that, add 2-3 extra cannons, chrono sentries.


never thought of that ;;

good idea <3
if happy ever afters did exist <3 @watamizu_
ATOMICfy
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada16 Posts
September 19 2012 20:20 GMT
#6590
How can i prevent zerg from going all in whe nthey see my nexus first or forge expand build?
Terran IMBA?! NO! Protoss IMBA!!!!
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 19 2012 20:32 GMT
#6591
On September 20 2012 05:20 ATOMICfy wrote:
How can i prevent zerg from going all in whe nthey see my nexus first or forge expand build?

You can't, but you should always win against these plays, or at least be extremely ahead.

On maps like Ohana/Shakuras/Cloud, I actually laugh my ass off when I get 6 pooled (or anything <15). Always 9 pylon scout, and if there's a pool started before 1:55 then you NEED a forge as soon as you see it. Ideally on 13, but on most maps I end up throwing it down at 14.

If you can hold the wall at your natural by building reinforcement gates/pylons (gates are better but don't always fit. Also make sure your cannon doesn't get unpowered!) you've won the game. ONLY attempt this on maps like Ohana/Shakuras/Cloud.

On other maps, throw down a pylon + cannon in your main (cover all probes, nexus, and try to secure a gas with it too. It should be placed somewhere that is /in/ the mineral line, so it will hurt your income.) in your main, and follow a standard 1base build. Gate->gas->pylon->core + zealot, etc. You can follow up however you like, I'd recommend a 1gate sentry expand, and beware of roach/ling all-ins, nydus all-ins, 1 base muta (this is actually a thing smh).
Getting back into sc2 O_o
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
September 19 2012 21:05 GMT
#6592
On September 20 2012 05:20 ATOMICfy wrote:
How can i prevent zerg from going all in whe nthey see my nexus first or forge expand build?


You can't prevent them. They either chose to all-in before you dropped the Nexus (in which case you should have scouted it long before and dropped a forge) or they decide to commit to a (likely a two base) all-n in response. Just learn to scout their third hatch religiously -- with multiple probes if need be, and throw up an extra 1 or 2 blind cannons if you don't see it by 5:00-5:30.
Supah
Profile Joined August 2010
708 Posts
September 19 2012 22:53 GMT
#6593
Any general advice against proxy rax from Terran? As in, ambiguous opener, gas or no gas. You can see if it's 1 or 2 rax, but the other rax is proxied on the map, and generally the SCV count is high enough to where it's tough to tell (eg, not an 11/11 or 12/12 rax). I usually do a 1 Gate expand, and against a gas opener if I play greedy I'll lose, granted. However, the non-gas variant is pretty tough, as I'll generally 1 Gate, 1 Robo and then 2 late Gates.. earlier gates at the expense of a Probe cut, later natural even though they're going "1 rax expand" due to the scouting, or what?
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 19 2012 23:03 GMT
#6594
I'm just really bad against 1 base rax->gas openers, I can never tell what he's doing. I go to defend rine pressure at my front, and then lose every probe to the hellions.
Here's a replay where I scouted no expo, some marines, couldn't see any tech. Then, he drops my main with hellions. Then runs into my natural with marines. Then picks up, then drops again in my main, killing every last probe.

http://drop.sc/255736

I don't know how to react. I do the standard MC's 1g FE -> 3gate robo (gates -> gas -> pylon -> stalker), and then this happens.

Thanks!
Getting back into sc2 O_o
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-20 01:24:37
September 20 2012 01:24 GMT
#6595
On September 20 2012 07:53 Supah wrote:
Any general advice against proxy rax from Terran? As in, ambiguous opener, gas or no gas. You can see if it's 1 or 2 rax, but the other rax is proxied on the map, and generally the SCV count is high enough to where it's tough to tell (eg, not an 11/11 or 12/12 rax). I usually do a 1 Gate expand, and against a gas opener if I play greedy I'll lose, granted. However, the non-gas variant is pretty tough, as I'll generally 1 Gate, 1 Robo and then 2 late Gates.. earlier gates at the expense of a Probe cut, later natural even though they're going "1 rax expand" due to the scouting, or what?


You should be watching his command center's lights flashing and his general SCV count when the orbital begins. You have 25 seconds roughly from the start of the orbital to do all of this before the marine pops, which is more than enough.
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-20 01:59:03
September 20 2012 01:57 GMT
#6596
On September 20 2012 08:03 Mavvie wrote:
I'm just really bad against 1 base rax->gas openers, I can never tell what he's doing. I go to defend rine pressure at my front, and then lose every probe to the hellions.
Here's a replay where I scouted no expo, some marines, couldn't see any tech. Then, he drops my main with hellions. Then runs into my natural with marines. Then picks up, then drops again in my main, killing every last probe.

http://drop.sc/255736

I don't know how to react. I do the standard MC's 1g FE -> 3gate robo (gates -> gas -> pylon -> stalker), and then this happens.

Thanks!


Well, you sorta did see the tech. When a Terran gets a gas (which you seen), and then makes multiple marines out of a single rax (which you also seen), it means he has gas being spent somewhere else that isn't in a techlab, and you know this because he built 5 marines from that 1 rax without a techlab. It's almost always a factory, which means you must now account for hellion drops, cloaked banshees, or any other factory/starport based all-in.

The follow up is almost always the same: Drop a faster robo (which you did), go stalker heavy the first few warp-ins (which you did). If you had started the obs immediately and would have planted 2-3 stalkers at the edge of your base in anticipation of the hellions (or banshees) which you could have known were potentially coming youd have held easily.

Other then that, you could have done a lot of damage with the two stalkers vs his five marines at the bottom of his ramp but opted not to. With no bunker vs a factory opening it's just free marines/depots -- he can't contest you without pulling scvs against your stalkers. Also needed to build a sentry instead of a stalker as the fourth and last unit. You'll notice it delayed the critical timing of your robo by 10-15 seconds, which is a 10-15 second slower obs vs cloaked banshees had that been the gas opening he chose.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
September 20 2012 02:07 GMT
#6597
On September 20 2012 10:57 rd wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 08:03 Mavvie wrote:
I'm just really bad against 1 base rax->gas openers, I can never tell what he's doing. I go to defend rine pressure at my front, and then lose every probe to the hellions.
Here's a replay where I scouted no expo, some marines, couldn't see any tech. Then, he drops my main with hellions. Then runs into my natural with marines. Then picks up, then drops again in my main, killing every last probe.

http://drop.sc/255736

I don't know how to react. I do the standard MC's 1g FE -> 3gate robo (gates -> gas -> pylon -> stalker), and then this happens.

Thanks!


Well, you sorta did see the tech. When a Terran gets a gas (which you seen), and then makes multiple marines out of a single rax (which you also seen), it means he has gas being spent somewhere else that isn't in a techlab, and you know this because he built 5 marines from that 1 rax without a techlab. It's almost always a factory, which means you must now account for hellion drops, cloaked banshees, or any other factory/starport based all-in.

The follow up is almost always the same: Drop a faster robo (which you did), go stalker heavy the first few warp-ins (which you did). If you had started the obs immediately and would have planted 2-3 stalkers at the edge of your base in anticipation of the hellions (or banshees) which you could have known were potentially coming youd have held easily.

Other then that, you could have done a lot of damage with the two stalkers vs his five marines at the bottom of his ramp but opted not to. With no bunker vs a factory opening it's just free marines/depots -- he can't contest you without pulling scvs against your stalkers. Also needed to build a sentry instead of a stalker as the fourth and last unit. You'll notice it delayed the critical timing of your robo by 10-15 seconds, which is a 10-15 second slower obs vs cloaked banshees had that been the gas opening he chose.

Thanks

Aha, I would do that. Scout the tech but not realize it. I remember that now; more than 2 marines before add-on means factory/starport(often?). I got really freaking paranoid that it was a build I played against a few days ago; 3 rax reactor all in. It opens with a gas first, builds a bunker by the expo, then pushes with basically 6 rax worth of rines. I didn't pressure because I didn't want to lose units, and I felt I needed to get back to defend the drop play. I also thought he had more than 1 rax because of the number of marines. Guess not, I'm sure this game sense thing will develop soon enough.

Fourth unit is a sentry? Oops, makes sense I guess. I always have too much gas. I assume that the sentry pops in time with the first warp-in to defend a 2rax? I did notice that I had no minerals when I wanted to plant my robo.

Should I send my zealot/sentry to defend his marines, and use my stalkers to defend the drop? I hate hellions. The probes can't run and they can't stay. Well thanks, I'll just get more familiar with the build and scouting! I'm so not used to scouting for add-ons, except on factories (freaking double fact BFH timings were the bane of my existence in ZvT)
Getting back into sc2 O_o
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-20 02:31:00
September 20 2012 02:29 GMT
#6598
On September 20 2012 01:43 monk. wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 00:42 ZeromuS wrote:
On September 19 2012 23:12 rsvp wrote:
On September 19 2012 22:17 SC2John wrote:
Could someone tell me the general timing for checking for a 3rd base in PvZ? I've been playing a lot of PvZ with FFE and I mostly just play by feel, but I've never been able to get an exact read on the point of diversion between zerg going 3 hatches or going 2-hatch aggression. Also, if you don't mind, could you explain toss's reaction to each of the following scenarios:

1) scout 3rd, no 3rd, poke into main, see gas
2) scout 3rd, no 3rd, probes dies before seeing gas or tech
3) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is somewhat late, poke into main, see gas
4) scout 3rd, 3rd IS up, 3rd is really early, no gas

Feel free to group things up if that makes it easier to answer.

Thanks!


A third that goes up anywhere between ~4:15 and 5:15 is normal.

1) Does he have just main gas, or all 4 gas? How does his drone count look? Are there speedlings? If his drone count seems low and/or he only has the gas in his main but not natural, I would be expecting a roach or baneling all-in. Otherwise it could just be 2 base lair play (which can also be an all-in, such as a fast drop, nydus, etc., but also can be muta or infestor into standard macro game). In other words keep trying to scout (ex. zealot sac), make sure you get robo or stargate asap to keep scouting, chrono warpgate tech, and if you get suspicious chrono out sentries and extra cannons. Don't hesitate to completely wall off.

2) Follow what I say in 1), except now you're suspicious. Don't over make sentries though (no more than 2-3) because they won't be very useful against fast muta or infestor.

3) Be suspicious of a 3 base all-in like that 3 base baneling/ling all-in, or 3 base roach/ling with no drones at the 3rd. Proceed normally but cautiously, make sure you get sentries early, and keep scouting for things like zergling speed or an abnormally large number of lings.

4) He's playing standard macro. React however you want.


Super well said. One thing that tips off the mass ling baneling off 3 base all in for me is speed around 8 minutes and a lot of lings if you see them.

Often I find that roaches come before speed for a 3 base roach ling all in, but speed comes quite early for a 3 base baneling all in.



wow, way to indirectly hate


Upon re reading I realise i missed part of the post and made a post that could be taken at offense Sorry man, no hate, I have used so many guides and taken so many tips from you I could never ever say anything bad about you or your advice.

Much <3
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
rd
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States2586 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-20 02:48:14
September 20 2012 02:47 GMT
#6599
On September 20 2012 11:07 Mavvie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 20 2012 10:57 rd wrote:
On September 20 2012 08:03 Mavvie wrote:
I'm just really bad against 1 base rax->gas openers, I can never tell what he's doing. I go to defend rine pressure at my front, and then lose every probe to the hellions.
Here's a replay where I scouted no expo, some marines, couldn't see any tech. Then, he drops my main with hellions. Then runs into my natural with marines. Then picks up, then drops again in my main, killing every last probe.

http://drop.sc/255736

I don't know how to react. I do the standard MC's 1g FE -> 3gate robo (gates -> gas -> pylon -> stalker), and then this happens.

Thanks!


Well, you sorta did see the tech. When a Terran gets a gas (which you seen), and then makes multiple marines out of a single rax (which you also seen), it means he has gas being spent somewhere else that isn't in a techlab, and you know this because he built 5 marines from that 1 rax without a techlab. It's almost always a factory, which means you must now account for hellion drops, cloaked banshees, or any other factory/starport based all-in.

The follow up is almost always the same: Drop a faster robo (which you did), go stalker heavy the first few warp-ins (which you did). If you had started the obs immediately and would have planted 2-3 stalkers at the edge of your base in anticipation of the hellions (or banshees) which you could have known were potentially coming youd have held easily.

Other then that, you could have done a lot of damage with the two stalkers vs his five marines at the bottom of his ramp but opted not to. With no bunker vs a factory opening it's just free marines/depots -- he can't contest you without pulling scvs against your stalkers. Also needed to build a sentry instead of a stalker as the fourth and last unit. You'll notice it delayed the critical timing of your robo by 10-15 seconds, which is a 10-15 second slower obs vs cloaked banshees had that been the gas opening he chose.

Thanks

Aha, I would do that. Scout the tech but not realize it. I remember that now; more than 2 marines before add-on means factory/starport(often?). I got really freaking paranoid that it was a build I played against a few days ago; 3 rax reactor all in. It opens with a gas first, builds a bunker by the expo, then pushes with basically 6 rax worth of rines. I didn't pressure because I didn't want to lose units, and I felt I needed to get back to defend the drop play. I also thought he had more than 1 rax because of the number of marines. Guess not, I'm sure this game sense thing will develop soon enough.

Fourth unit is a sentry? Oops, makes sense I guess. I always have too much gas. I assume that the sentry pops in time with the first warp-in to defend a 2rax? I did notice that I had no minerals when I wanted to plant my robo.

Should I send my zealot/sentry to defend his marines, and use my stalkers to defend the drop? I hate hellions. The probes can't run and they can't stay. Well thanks, I'll just get more familiar with the build and scouting! I'm so not used to scouting for add-ons, except on factories (freaking double fact BFH timings were the bane of my existence in ZvT)


Only needed a few stalkers to stop the drop. Sentry at the ramp, and anything else at the front would have been more than plenty for a handfull of marines -- though to be honest half of them could have already been dead had you pressured his wall-in rather than back off. It's probably the most crucial form of scouting this build offers: forcing him to reveal any units he has at the wall if theres no bunker/marauder to stop you. One rax worth of marines are just no contest vs 2 stalkers at a wall-in.
garsh0p
Profile Joined February 2010
United States30 Posts
September 20 2012 08:08 GMT
#6600
On September 19 2012 04:52 garsh0p wrote:
does anyone have a replay of the PvP 4 gate warp prism all in? also, are 4 gate blink all ins and phoenix gate all ins still good in PvP? replays or build orders of those would be great. thanks!

bump... replays would be helpful.
Prev 1 328 329 330 331 332 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 208
ProTech141
Nina 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2093
Shuttle 991
Snow 100
Dewaltoss 48
Bale 40
Noble 38
Hm[arnc] 23
Icarus 4
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm157
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1131
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor684
Other Games
summit1g8426
JimRising 653
C9.Mang0309
PiGStarcraft307
Mew2King208
ArmadaUGS54
ViBE48
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream72
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 22
• Response 14
• Letter145
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2340
League of Legends
• Lourlo1078
• Rush777
• Stunt251
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 29m
OSC
17h 29m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.