• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:11
CEST 04:11
KST 11:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7109 users

[G] How To Stop A 6 Pool ZvP - Page 12

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next All
Darthturtle
Profile Joined May 2009
United States718 Posts
October 01 2010 02:14 GMT
#221
On October 01 2010 09:25 Skrag wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 01 2010 07:43 Darthturtle wrote:
Inca already made two bad plays at this point: 1 - Pulling probes to defend way too late. 2 - pulling too many probes.


You forgot #3: not double-powering the gate.

I have always double-powered my starting buildings ever since the first time a fast rush managed to take down my pylon leaving me dead in the water. Why pros seem to not do this as a simple matter of habit is completely beyond me.

The third pylon can go wherever you need it to go, but the second should always be in proximity to the first.


I don't mind not double-powering so much. It's a strategic decision, in fact.

Optimally, Protoss will defend well enough so that the pylon does not go down. If that's the case, then it doesn't matter nearly as much if the front is double-powered.

As a matter of fact, single-powering the front has one unique feature: Zergs are way more likely to see that and try to focus down the pylon, rather than go for the probe line. If Inca's timing was good, he could use his probes to wipe out the entire wave of zerglings(assuming they commit to sniping the building), barely save the pylon, and not lose anything at all. Unfortunately, Inca played like ass and lost the pylon, and now, all of a sudden, not double-powering becomes extraordinarily noticable. And then he had to break his wall to afford a replacement.

Not double-powering isn't a mistake unless part of your plan involves definitely losing your pylon. Otherwise, the mistake is whatever you did or didn't do that let the opponent kill your building.
pbecot01
Profile Joined October 2010
41 Posts
October 01 2010 12:12 GMT
#222
I have been 6 pooling vs p for a while. I'm only silver, so wanted some higher feedback, because I added an ol to the build. This only delays the first 6 lings by a second or two, and wit the five drones I can still make lings as soon as larva spawn. I very rarely lose doing that, even on 4 player maps when I don't find them at the first spot...the I'll often have 12 lings when I get there. Now, my opponents are bad, but so am I...and I feel like when I lose it's because I messd up and lost lings too early. Was wondering if anyoe actually good had tried it that way?
Duravi
Profile Joined September 2010
United States1205 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-01 15:40:26
October 01 2010 14:37 GMT
#223
This only delays the first 6 lings by a second or two, and wit the five drones I can still make lings as soon as. larva spawn


Something in your build is wonky or not tight then because building that ol seems like it should delay by more than a second or two.
pbecot01
Profile Joined October 2010
41 Posts
October 01 2010 16:03 GMT
#224
while waiting for the spawn pool you build up around235 minerals and max out larva...if you hit the ol at 100 you'll have 135 and 3 larva when the pool pops...just a couple seconds to hit 150 for 3 lings...from then on you have just over 50 each time another larva spawns
Skrag
Profile Joined May 2010
United States643 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-02 00:30:07
October 02 2010 00:29 GMT
#225
On October 02 2010 01:03 pbecot01 wrote:
while waiting for the spawn pool you build up around235 minerals and max out larva...if you hit the ol at 100 you'll have 135 and 3 larva when the pool pops...just a couple seconds to hit 150 for 3 lings...from then on you have just over 50 each time another larva spawns


In all the replays I've seen of pros 6pooling, they drone up to 7 after building the pool, which obviously you're not doing if you build up to 235 when the pool isn't done.

This doesn't cut into larvae production at all, you still have 3 larvae when the pool pops, and following that up with a double-extractor trick still allows you to get an extra 4 lings very quickly. Obviously there's a delay for any lings after that, since you need to build an overlord, but I don't think any larvae get wasted.
"Just go *@#$ing kill him!" -- Day[9] "Thanks for being a jackass though! Enjoy your time on the forums!" - Artosis
pbecot01
Profile Joined October 2010
41 Posts
October 02 2010 01:19 GMT
#226
What's the point of a 7th drone? The 5 mining produce exactly enough minerals to pump lings with all your larva, and the delay from building the OL at 12 or so will be longer then the couple seconds earlier.

I dunno, guess it doesn't really matter-I don't much like 6 pooling because my micro is bad enough that I lose a good percentage if my opponent builds around his nexus. But It still seems like I can mass lings better with the OL first.
Skrag
Profile Joined May 2010
United States643 Posts
October 02 2010 02:08 GMT
#227
On October 02 2010 10:19 pbecot01 wrote:
What's the point of a 7th drone? The 5 mining produce exactly enough minerals to pump lings with all your larva, and the delay from building the OL at 12 or so will be longer then the couple seconds earlier.


Scouting on 4player maps for one. It also builds up enough resources that you can get a queen eventually, which can be huge if the game is very close and going back and forth. You get exactly the same number of lings total, because that's limited by larvae not minerals, but there's a delay after the 5th set, waiting for an overlord. The first 10 lings come out at the same time, though (or a few seconds faster), and those are by far the most important ones anyway. If you haven't done significant damage with those, then the chances are very good you're going to lose anyway.
"Just go *@#$ing kill him!" -- Day[9] "Thanks for being a jackass though! Enjoy your time on the forums!" - Artosis
Lea
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden120 Posts
October 02 2010 19:37 GMT
#228
I was 6pooled today on Steppes, and this guide helped so much! I tossed up a pylon in the corner, gateway + forge to cover the entrace and then did a cannon at the back. He had to pull out, as I had dual-powered my wall-in, because by the time he might've killed that pylon the cannon would be up, and I had the possibiilty to start chrono'ing zealots. However, I HAD to do a 10 gate, and even when I did, the gate just about finished when the first zergling wave arrived. I immediately tossed up a forge after my gateway, and they finished about the same time. I could have done a cannon instead of that second pylon, but I think that second pylon was a good investment in case the zerg would try to gamble and get down that first pylon in the corner and two pylons + cannon going up was too intimidating, so he pulled out without even trying.

During all this time, I had a far superior economic advantage. I got warpgate, denied a possible FE at his nat by putting up a pylon protected by two cannons (I stayed outside with my scouting probe), which also quite effectively limited his movement out of his base, forcing him to go one base. I kept warping in units at the proxy pylon at his nat, in case he pulled out while I teched up to phoenix and from there it was gg, when I kept killing his overlords which cost his already crippled eco so much.

I don't see how you are supposed to get out a zealot before the zergling wave arrives. Maybe I am just slow, but I doubt my gateway was that delayed.
Merlinius
Profile Joined September 2010
62 Posts
October 02 2010 19:50 GMT
#229
On October 03 2010 04:37 Lea wrote:
I was 6pooled today on Steppes, and this guide helped so much! I tossed up a pylon in the corner, gateway + forge to cover the entrace and then did a cannon at the back. He had to pull out, as I had dual-powered my wall-in, because by the time he might've killed that pylon the cannon would be up, and I had the possibiilty to start chrono'ing zealots. However, I HAD to do a 10 gate, and even when I did, the gate just about finished when the first zergling wave arrived. I immediately tossed up a forge after my gateway, and they finished about the same time. I could have done a cannon instead of that second pylon, but I think that second pylon was a good investment in case the zerg would try to gamble and get down that first pylon in the corner and two pylons + cannon going up was too intimidating, so he pulled out without even trying.

During all this time, I had a far superior economic advantage. I got warpgate, denied a possible FE at his nat by putting up a pylon protected by two cannons (I stayed outside with my scouting probe), which also quite effectively limited his movement out of his base, forcing him to go one base. I kept warping in units at the proxy pylon at his nat, in case he pulled out while I teched up to phoenix and from there it was gg, when I kept killing his overlords which cost his already crippled eco so much.

I don't see how you are supposed to get out a zealot before the zergling wave arrives. Maybe I am just slow, but I doubt my gateway was that delayed.


How can you respond with a 10 gate? If you pylon scout, your 11th probe should be almost finished when you scout his build (on Steppes of War). The earliest response you could possibly do is delaying the 12th probe and throwing down the gateway a second or two earlier.

Btw. on Steppes it is not possible to get the first zealot out before his lings arrive (not even with a 10 gate, i think). You need to defend with probes - unless you're doing some kind of wall-in, of course.

Why did you throw down a cannon at the back of your base? Just use your workers to kill of the lings and save those minerals.
Darthturtle
Profile Joined May 2009
United States718 Posts
October 02 2010 21:54 GMT
#230
Why did you throw down a cannon at the back of your base? Just use your workers to kill of the lings and save those minerals.

Probably because somebody put funny ideas into people's heads like cutting early probes and using cannons to defend. Then we get some other people that drew all sorts of crazy conclusions.

News Flash: If you cut two probes, but delay your gate while waiting for your scout to get there, that's not a ten gate. That's a 12 gate short two probes.
icJuice
Profile Joined March 2009
United States41 Posts
October 02 2010 22:52 GMT
#231
Thx so much OP, this build has already saved me a number of would-be losses . I agree with some people in this thread that you can also do it with solid probe micro, but this build is much easier to execute imo and it doesn't throw off my regular timings when zerg does play a standard game!
Goobus
Profile Joined May 2010
Hong Kong587 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-06 15:06:38
October 06 2010 15:00 GMT
#232
On October 03 2010 06:54 Darthturtle wrote:
Show nested quote +
Why did you throw down a cannon at the back of your base? Just use your workers to kill of the lings and save those minerals.

Probably because somebody put funny ideas into people's heads like cutting early probes and using cannons to defend. Then we get some other people that drew all sorts of crazy conclusions.

News Flash: If you cut two probes, but delay your gate while waiting for your scout to get there, that's not a ten gate. That's a 12 gate short two probes.


Watch the fucking replays. We modified the build so that you don't have to cut 2 probes. Stop flaming my thread and gtfo. If you have something constructive to say, say it. Otherwise, save it.
The_Count
Profile Joined October 2010
3 Posts
October 07 2010 03:09 GMT
#233
Thanks for the build / replays!

I think any good player should have these prepared backup plans / modified builds in their arsenal for things like scouted 6-pool. It's pointless to desperately cling to your one 12/13 gate build when there are such better options out there, unless you lack the mental capacity to remember / execute more than one opening.
Jacobs Ladder
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1705 Posts
October 07 2010 03:13 GMT
#234
My last 5 or 6 PvZ's the zerg has done a <10 pool, so this thread is wonderfully helpful, thanks!
storm44
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
1293 Posts
October 07 2010 03:18 GMT
#235
this worked out for me. thanks
forgotten0ne
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States951 Posts
October 07 2010 03:30 GMT
#236
For Zergs reading this, thinking they're screwed now, you're really not. After you build your pool, use the newly made drone to scout and block their ramp. If they send probes, micro while bringing a 2nd drone down. 6 lings coming in afterwards ends it.
"Well it’s obvious that these Terran gamers are just extremely gifted when it comes to RTS games" -Ret, in regards to the first months of SC2
Chronopolis
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada1484 Posts
October 13 2010 19:17 GMT
#237
On October 07 2010 12:30 forgotten0ne wrote:
For Zergs reading this, thinking they're screwed now, you're really not. After you build your pool, use the newly made drone to scout and block their ramp. If they send probes, micro while bringing a 2nd drone down. 6 lings coming in afterwards ends it.


The only time sensitive building is the forge, the gateway can be delayed 10-15 seconds and still be fine. As long as the protoss isn't terrible and brings 2-3 probes to shoo the drone away it should be ez
Kyobi
Profile Joined October 2010
United States38 Posts
October 13 2010 21:08 GMT
#238
So what would you do if the zerg goes directly after your pylons and then kites your workers to wait for reinforcements when you pull them from the mineral line or just finishes off the pylon if you're too slow?
Dreh
Profile Joined September 2010
United States6 Posts
October 13 2010 21:26 GMT
#239
i always warp out at least one zealot to guard agaisnt an early 6gate cheese
allllright lets rus- OH SHI-!
Aeruthus
Profile Joined September 2010
United States98 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-10-13 21:37:53
October 13 2010 21:35 GMT
#240
The easiest way to defend a 6pool is definitely to scout at 9 and just place a gateway at 12, then a forge at 14, and a pylon at 15 (the pylon finishes your wall off). The pylon should finish about when lings get there and your cannon/s should already be going up. When people 6pool me I do this then when they see it I say "Enjoy" just to rub it in that they're totally screwed ^_^.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings95
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 156
RuFF_SC2 137
ProTech122
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13931
Rain 2245
Shuttle 608
Artosis 575
NaDa 30
Bale 29
League of Legends
Doublelift3844
Counter-Strike
taco 357
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox801
Mew2King87
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor947
Other Games
summit1g8826
Day[9].tv709
JimRising 644
PiGStarcraft339
C9.Mang0308
ArmadaUGS66
ViBE57
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV285
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream83
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 128
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP94
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra780
• Day9tv709
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
10h 49m
OSC
19h 49m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 7h
Online Event
1d 8h
FEL
1d 13h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 14h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 16h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.