• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:31
CEST 17:31
KST 00:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7781 users

Conservatives Waterboarded - Voluntarily. - Page 6

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 19 Next All
Vharox
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States1037 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-23 12:19:30
May 23 2009 12:17 GMT
#101
On May 23 2009 21:11 Mah Buckit! wrote:
If I was fighting against US army and knew stuff like that being done to my comrads, I would shoot americans like dogs :/
Except I do kinda like dogs...

yeah, but you forget that your supposed "comrads" prefer beheadings

edit:


This guy willingly got waterboarded for 20+ minutes. Also has some nice interviews.
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-05-23 12:19:13
May 23 2009 12:17 GMT
#102
On May 23 2009 21:11 Mah Buckit! wrote:
If I was fighting against US army and knew stuff like that being done to my comrads, I would shoot americans like dogs :/
Except I do kinda like dogs...


Yes, you know since 2001 it's only been used on 3, yes 3 people.

I highly doubt we are incurring the Nazi v Soviet hatred of no POW. That truly was a kill or be killed scenario with no other options.

Imagine how the Americans feel when Al'Qaeda uses beheadings instead of this.
"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
May 23 2009 12:53 GMT
#103
There have been worse things done in history than the american tortures that have become public in the last few years?

Well I think that totally justifies it.

brb gonna kill my neighbor.
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
aRod
Profile Joined July 2007
United States758 Posts
May 23 2009 12:56 GMT
#104
On May 23 2009 21:14 Aegraen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2009 21:01 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On May 23 2009 13:16 aRod wrote:
On May 23 2009 11:30 Aegraen wrote:
On May 23 2009 10:33 MoRe_mInErAls wrote:
On May 23 2009 10:24 HeadBangaa wrote:
It's a damn good thing nobody offered me $1000 per second to be waterboarded. I would certainly die.

Hey is anybody else surprised neither of these guys could last longer than 3 seconds? I mean, even if their air supply were completely eliminated, I don't understand how they only lasted that long.

It does make me want to try. I promise to record and post it if I do, but only if you bastards promise to rate it 5/5. =D


With adequate proof that it is you, I will literally pay you $100 for every second above 5 seconds you are waterboarded


I'll do it.

Its about a state of mind more than anything else. The intention when you are waterboarded is not to kill you. It is to extract information. Once you know this you can last as long as your will is there. Most of us in the military have epicly fucking huge wills.

How much is in your bank account?


Most people in the military also lack any degree beyond a high school diploma. You may be an exception. I dont know, but I highly doubt your state of mind can immediately overpower years of evolutionary adaptation aimed at avoiding drowning. With your hands and feet and body bound, do you really believe you'll remain calm. With practice who knows what anyone can accomplish. Surely your self assured faith in your "epically fucking huge will" can help you here.



oh now dont bother trying to convince Aegraen through referring to evolution


I think what he meant to say was 'fight or flight response'...no no...'instincts'...possibly...oh rubbish, everyone knows the things people will do for money.

I'm a pretty calm demeanored guy, so yeah there would be no reason for my heart rate to increase. It takes quite a bit to get me anxious, nervous, scared, etc.

I'm also acutely aware of the 'fear of drowning' since you know, I am part of a Sea going service.


So Aegraen, when did you graduate highschool and what religion were you brainwashed with?
Live to win.
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
May 23 2009 13:00 GMT
#105
On May 23 2009 21:56 aRod wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2009 21:14 Aegraen wrote:
On May 23 2009 21:01 Liquid`Drone wrote:
On May 23 2009 13:16 aRod wrote:
On May 23 2009 11:30 Aegraen wrote:
On May 23 2009 10:33 MoRe_mInErAls wrote:
On May 23 2009 10:24 HeadBangaa wrote:
It's a damn good thing nobody offered me $1000 per second to be waterboarded. I would certainly die.

Hey is anybody else surprised neither of these guys could last longer than 3 seconds? I mean, even if their air supply were completely eliminated, I don't understand how they only lasted that long.

It does make me want to try. I promise to record and post it if I do, but only if you bastards promise to rate it 5/5. =D


With adequate proof that it is you, I will literally pay you $100 for every second above 5 seconds you are waterboarded


I'll do it.

Its about a state of mind more than anything else. The intention when you are waterboarded is not to kill you. It is to extract information. Once you know this you can last as long as your will is there. Most of us in the military have epicly fucking huge wills.

How much is in your bank account?


Most people in the military also lack any degree beyond a high school diploma. You may be an exception. I dont know, but I highly doubt your state of mind can immediately overpower years of evolutionary adaptation aimed at avoiding drowning. With your hands and feet and body bound, do you really believe you'll remain calm. With practice who knows what anyone can accomplish. Surely your self assured faith in your "epically fucking huge will" can help you here.



oh now dont bother trying to convince Aegraen through referring to evolution


I think what he meant to say was 'fight or flight response'...no no...'instincts'...possibly...oh rubbish, everyone knows the things people will do for money.

I'm a pretty calm demeanored guy, so yeah there would be no reason for my heart rate to increase. It takes quite a bit to get me anxious, nervous, scared, etc.

I'm also acutely aware of the 'fear of drowning' since you know, I am part of a Sea going service.


So Aegraen, when did you graduate highschool and what religion were you brainwashed with?


You might want to elaborate on your thoughts here. What were you brainwashed with?
"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
ingvarb1
Profile Joined May 2009
Iceland2 Posts
May 23 2009 13:14 GMT
#106
You guys are all obviously neo-liberals. This technique has saved hundreds of America lives and none of you seem to care about that? Why do you guys care what's being done to terrorists leaders in Guantanamo Bay? This technique is not used on all prisoners.

Terrorist being waterboarded is a lot better than a skyscraper falling down because some liberals couldn't see a TERRORISTS being waterboarded.
We are the universe awakened
nttea
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Sweden4353 Posts
May 23 2009 13:17 GMT
#107
hey! wanna know something else other nations has commited? Genocide.
igotmyown
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4291 Posts
May 23 2009 13:20 GMT
#108
On May 23 2009 21:17 Aegraen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2009 21:11 Mah Buckit! wrote:
If I was fighting against US army and knew stuff like that being done to my comrads, I would shoot americans like dogs :/
Except I do kinda like dogs...


Yes, you know since 2001 it's only been used on 3, yes 3 people.

I highly doubt we are incurring the Nazi v Soviet hatred of no POW. That truly was a kill or be killed scenario with no other options.

Imagine how the Americans feel when Al'Qaeda uses beheadings instead of this.


I don't understand. Is the argument because it's been used only 3 times, it's not so bad?

Only 2 americans were beheaded in iraq, 6 foreigners total, yet I think that's pretty bad.

Legal and moral justification isn't based on numbers. There's an excess of obfuscation of two simple questions:
1) is waterboarding torture
2) is torture legally justifiable

The volunteers in the demonstrations I've seen so far are of the opinion it is torture. (And I am curious what would happen if a rogue police officer tried it on a domestic suspect. Technically shouldn't that be legal?)

Whether torture is justifiable is a separate issue
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
May 23 2009 13:23 GMT
#109
On May 23 2009 21:17 Aegraen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2009 21:11 Mah Buckit! wrote:
If I was fighting against US army and knew stuff like that being done to my comrads, I would shoot americans like dogs :/
Except I do kinda like dogs...


Yes, you know since 2001 it's only been used on 3, yes 3 people.

I highly doubt we are incurring the Nazi v Soviet hatred of no POW. That truly was a kill or be killed scenario with no other options.

Imagine how the Americans feel when Al'Qaeda uses beheadings instead of this.


3 people, hundreds of times.

i am an american, i don't need to imagine how i feel or how everyone i knows feel. i am a new yorker, i saw the world trade centers on fire.

it is no excuse.
:O
chobopeon
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
United States7342 Posts
May 23 2009 13:25 GMT
#110
On May 23 2009 22:14 ingvarb1 wrote:
You guys are all obviously neo-liberals. This technique has saved hundreds of America lives and none of you seem to care about that? Why do you guys care what's being done to terrorists leaders in Guantanamo Bay? This technique is not used on all prisoners.

Terrorist being waterboarded is a lot better than a skyscraper falling down because some liberals couldn't see a TERRORISTS being waterboarded.


you have no idea what neo-liberal means and it is painfully apparent in several ways.
:O
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
May 23 2009 13:29 GMT
#111
On May 23 2009 22:20 igotmyown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2009 21:17 Aegraen wrote:
On May 23 2009 21:11 Mah Buckit! wrote:
If I was fighting against US army and knew stuff like that being done to my comrads, I would shoot americans like dogs :/
Except I do kinda like dogs...


Yes, you know since 2001 it's only been used on 3, yes 3 people.

I highly doubt we are incurring the Nazi v Soviet hatred of no POW. That truly was a kill or be killed scenario with no other options.

Imagine how the Americans feel when Al'Qaeda uses beheadings instead of this.


I don't understand. Is the argument because it's been used only 3 times, it's not so bad?

Only 2 americans were beheaded in iraq, 6 foreigners total, yet I think that's pretty bad.

Legal and moral justification isn't based on numbers. There's an excess of obfuscation of two simple questions:
1) is waterboarding torture
2) is torture legally justifiable

The volunteers in the demonstrations I've seen so far are of the opinion it is torture. (And I am curious what would happen if a rogue police officer tried it on a domestic suspect. Technically shouldn't that be legal?)

Whether torture is justifiable is a separate issue


The military is not law enforcement. Comparing the two is futile. As libs do, as libs do, they always make every 'war' into some lawyer-esque 'law enforcement confrontation' non-sense.

Islamo-fascism is alive and deadly. Techniques that aren't horrendously abhorrable should be used to extract information that could possibly save many lives, at the very least if not civilian militarily.

Should we prosecute the soldiers on the beaches of Normandy who 'executed' german soldiers who were surrendering?
"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28908 Posts
May 23 2009 13:45 GMT
#112
how can you justify current behaviour with what happened during world war 2? seriously?
seeing as you seemingly have no moral objections to torture, and that you think any legal objections are irrelevant, how about this

torture has been proven to be a horrible and absolutely unreliable way of extracting information because people in fact tend to say whatever the torturer wants to hear rather than what actually is the truth.
Moderator
Aegraen
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1225 Posts
May 23 2009 13:59 GMT
#113
On May 23 2009 22:45 Liquid`Drone wrote:
how can you justify current behaviour with what happened during world war 2? seriously?
seeing as you seemingly have no moral objections to torture, and that you think any legal objections are irrelevant, how about this

torture has been proven to be a horrible and absolutely unreliable way of extracting information because people in fact tend to say whatever the torturer wants to hear rather than what actually is the truth.


Who said anything about 'justifying' etc. I want to see if he'll stay consistent.

Waterboarding works. You honestly believe that the CIA just goes around and waterboards anyone, not knowing if they even have any actionable intelligence they can gleam. Naivate. Everyone who is waterboarded is verified beforehand that they do know information that is actionable.

I'll say this again. Waterboarding isn't torture. Yeah, yeah semantics, right? Well I certainly do not place waterboarding in the same definition as for example, what happened to John McCain in captivity. Do you?
"It is easy to be conspicuously 'compassionate' if others are being forced to pay the cost." -- Murray N. Rothbard -- Rand Paul 2010 -- Ron Paul 2012
VIB
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
Brazil3567 Posts
May 23 2009 14:00 GMT
#114
On May 23 2009 22:45 Liquid`Drone wrote:
torture has been proven to be a horrible and absolutely unreliable way of extracting information because people in fact tend to say whatever the torturer wants to hear rather than what actually is the truth.
He already said earlier that since the awesome infallible american intelligence can check false claims in no time. He thinks the it's more than worth the risk, the rights of some random innocent guy aren't worth as close as much as the huge threat that nonexistent weapons of mass destruction might pose to himself.
Great people talk about ideas. Average people talk about things. Small people talk about other people.
igotmyown
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States4291 Posts
May 23 2009 14:02 GMT
#115
Basically you're saying that torture is (or should be) legally justifiable in a wartime setting. That's a perfectly reasonable opinion.

Of course the legally part is important, because we have a civilian government, and the military has to follow whatever restrictions the law sets for it.

I'm curious why you found it necessary to use the horrendously abhorrable classification. People like you usually don't care, since they value security far greater than individual rights.
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
May 23 2009 14:03 GMT
#116
For someone who's throwing in with the constitution, you think he'd understand the value of due process.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
May 23 2009 14:04 GMT
#117
Props to the guy in the op for having enough balls to do it. That merits some respect
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
May 23 2009 14:07 GMT
#118
On May 23 2009 22:59 Aegraen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 23 2009 22:45 Liquid`Drone wrote:
how can you justify current behaviour with what happened during world war 2? seriously?
seeing as you seemingly have no moral objections to torture, and that you think any legal objections are irrelevant, how about this

torture has been proven to be a horrible and absolutely unreliable way of extracting information because people in fact tend to say whatever the torturer wants to hear rather than what actually is the truth.


Who said anything about 'justifying' etc. I want to see if he'll stay consistent.

Waterboarding works. You honestly believe that the CIA just goes around and waterboards anyone, not knowing if they even have any actionable intelligence they can gleam. Naivate. Everyone who is waterboarded is verified beforehand that they do know information that is actionable.

I'll say this again. Waterboarding isn't torture. Yeah, yeah semantics, right? Well I certainly do not place waterboarding in the same definition as for example, what happened to John McCain in captivity. Do you?


The John McCain scale of torture: If you weren't tortured as much as this one dude 40 years ago it does not count as torture.
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
May 23 2009 14:10 GMT
#119
I wonder if William Wallace would call what happened to John McCain torture. Hell why not go back to throwing spears and skinning eachother alive, since relativation is a valid tool for justifying horrible acts, fuck human progress.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44373 Posts
May 23 2009 14:12 GMT
#120
The drowning paradox. Holding your head in a bucket til the point of drowning then bringing you back up, giving you one breath then back under = torture. Doing it without the bucket = not torture.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 19 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM481
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 481
Reynor 254
ByuN 211
TKL 163
Railgan 75
Codebar 50
BRAT_OK 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 58231
Bisu 2934
Calm 1561
FanTaSy 1016
Stork 815
Rush 426
hero 386
firebathero 185
Snow 124
Sharp 98
[ Show more ]
Free 69
Mind 65
actioN 55
Sea.KH 51
ToSsGirL 38
Trap 38
Pusan 35
Bale 27
Mong 23
Sexy 23
soO 23
Rock 20
Aegong 20
Terrorterran 19
Hm[arnc] 17
HiyA 11
Sacsri 10
Shine 9
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8808
Dendi1062
Counter-Strike
fl0m5539
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King90
Other Games
singsing2194
Liquid`RaSZi1493
B2W.Neo731
Beastyqt590
olofmeister541
Mlord460
Khaldor384
KnowMe317
Hui .212
crisheroes176
Chillindude63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV271
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV580
League of Legends
• Nemesis3080
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1698
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 30m
BSL Open Qualifier
3h 30m
OSC
7h 30m
Replay Cast
7h 30m
OSC
20h 30m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 19h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.