• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:04
CEST 02:04
KST 09:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8689 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 1175

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 6008 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22661 Posts
March 02 2019 19:39 GMT
#23481
On March 03 2019 04:36 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.


I think the US conservative opinion on this is that anything but Fox News is leftist.
Reality has a liberal bias, therefor anyone reporting on reality is liberal.

It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Amui
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada10567 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 19:50:25
March 02 2019 19:50 GMT
#23482
On March 03 2019 04:36 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.


I think the US conservative opinion on this is that anything but Fox News is leftist.

IIRC they've bashed the more liberal members of fox News before, and praised liberal media in some cases when they report on topics they support.

Certain people(no names here) refuse to accept any news that doesn't mesh with their party line, calling it fake instead.

But when the president is a pathological liar and rampant narcissist, you really have to have some selective cognitive blinders on to believe him.
Porouscloud - NA LoL
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 20:25:20
March 02 2019 20:18 GMT
#23483
To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.


Trump's critique of the Green New Deal and wind energy. There are clear downsides to Wind Energy, but when part of a proper energy mix, it's fine. It's really appaling to see "the leader of the free world" having an IQ of 2, being proud of it, and his idiots cheering him on.

I guess, I should be happy that he is often too dumb to even advance his dangerous agenda. So maybe there is a chance there is still a country at the end of the tunnel.

edit : woops, the source https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit
NoiR
FallDownMarigold
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 20:24:53
March 02 2019 20:23 GMT
#23484
On March 03 2019 03:51 xDaunt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.

All of the above except for the WSJ.


Well no offense, really, but I think your definition of "leftist" is made up then, and in that case it's not really a useful label to apply to something like the NYT, which is actually pretty centrist.

In any case, I didn't mean to derail the thread with a tangent on the media, but I was curious if you were referring to actual leftist media outlets in the US, because I haven't actually encountered many in the mainstream. Maybe I don't look hard enough.
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 20:36:53
March 02 2019 20:29 GMT
#23485
Damn, I don't even know why I'm caring when I see this kind of reaction (Trump latino supporters at the El Paso rally). The con is so obvious, it's even worse than a casino, but it still works, like moths to a flame...

“Right now I don’t even have healthcare,” Thompson said.

“I go to the emergency room,” Gaudet said, laughing.

“I just go to the emergency room,” Thompson agreed.

I asked if they would support higher taxes for millionaires if it meant that people like them would get free healthcare. Gaudet didn’t hesitate. “No, because one day we might be the millionaires.”


https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/mar/02/why-donald-trump-could-win-again-by-dave-eggers
NoiR
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
March 02 2019 20:51 GMT
#23486
On March 03 2019 05:23 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:51 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.

All of the above except for the WSJ.


Well no offense, really, but I think your definition of "leftist" is made up then, and in that case it's not really a useful label to apply to something like the NYT, which is actually pretty centrist.

In any case, I didn't mean to derail the thread with a tangent on the media, but I was curious if you were referring to actual leftist media outlets in the US, because I haven't actually encountered many in the mainstream. Maybe I don't look hard enough.


The math is simple

Criticise Trump = leftist deep state globalist anti american

Praise Trump = Truth telling super perfect mega patriot
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
IgnE
Profile Joined November 2010
United States7684 Posts
March 02 2019 21:13 GMT
#23487
On March 03 2019 05:23 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:51 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.

All of the above except for the WSJ.


Well no offense, really, but I think your definition of "leftist" is made up then, and in that case it's not really a useful label to apply to something like the NYT, which is actually pretty centrist.

In any case, I didn't mean to derail the thread with a tangent on the media, but I was curious if you were referring to actual leftist media outlets in the US, because I haven't actually encountered many in the mainstream. Maybe I don't look hard enough.


on the other hand, everyone in this thread knew exactly what he meant by "leftist media." so it seemed useful enough.
It is terrible to die of thirst at sea. Must you so salt your truth that it will no longer even slake thirst?
Lmui
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada6223 Posts
March 02 2019 21:27 GMT
#23488
On March 03 2019 05:29 Nouar wrote:
Damn, I don't even know why I'm caring when I see this kind of reaction (Trump latino supporters at the El Paso rally). The con is so obvious, it's even worse than a casino, but it still works, like moths to a flame...

Show nested quote +
“Right now I don’t even have healthcare,” Thompson said.

“I go to the emergency room,” Gaudet said, laughing.

“I just go to the emergency room,” Thompson agreed.

I asked if they would support higher taxes for millionaires if it meant that people like them would get free healthcare. Gaudet didn’t hesitate. “No, because one day we might be the millionaires.”


https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/mar/02/why-donald-trump-could-win-again-by-dave-eggers


This is something that a decent education should solve.

I'd much rather earn 1mil/year taxed at 70% than 100k/year taxed at 25%, but some people cannot see why that would be of benefit to them when they're earning 30k/year...
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
March 02 2019 21:30 GMT
#23489
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.

It's very common among Republicans to view the aforementioned as hopelessly biased to the left. That's one reason why Trump's rhetoric resonates so well among the base. That's why polls on trust in the media to get stories right and reported honestly have tanked. You disagree with that judgement, and that's fine, so long as you know that other people think just as strongly as you that it's a fair characterization.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46511 Posts
March 02 2019 21:48 GMT
#23490
On March 03 2019 06:30 Danglars wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.

It's very common among Republicans to view the aforementioned as hopelessly biased to the left. That's one reason why Trump's rhetoric resonates so well among the base. That's why polls on trust in the media to get stories right and reported honestly have tanked. You disagree with that judgement, and that's fine, so long as you know that other people think just as strongly as you that it's a fair characterization.


Why do you think people on the right think that those sources are biased on the left? Conservative friends of mine have insisted that news organizations that disagree with their personal views must be biased to the left, not realizing that the news could still be neither left nor right leaning, and that any article that disagrees with their position isn't necessarily biased or inaccurate.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44373 Posts
March 02 2019 21:55 GMT
#23491
On March 03 2019 05:18 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.


Trump's critique of the Green New Deal and wind energy. There are clear downsides to Wind Energy, but when part of a proper energy mix, it's fine. It's really appaling to see "the leader of the free world" having an IQ of 2, being proud of it, and his idiots cheering him on.

I guess, I should be happy that he is often too dumb to even advance his dangerous agenda. So maybe there is a chance there is still a country at the end of the tunnel.

edit : woops, the source https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit

If he thinks that’s bad wait until he hears about solar power and this new thing called night.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Nouar
Profile Joined May 2009
France3270 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 22:02:29
March 02 2019 22:00 GMT
#23492
On March 03 2019 06:55 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 05:18 Nouar wrote:
To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.


Trump's critique of the Green New Deal and wind energy. There are clear downsides to Wind Energy, but when part of a proper energy mix, it's fine. It's really appaling to see "the leader of the free world" having an IQ of 2, being proud of it, and his idiots cheering him on.

I guess, I should be happy that he is often too dumb to even advance his dangerous agenda. So maybe there is a chance there is still a country at the end of the tunnel.

edit : woops, the source https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit

If he thinks that’s bad wait until he hears about solar power and this new thing called night.

No, that IS a very fair criticism to make about solar power, and why we cannot really make solar panels our main source of power, since the consumption peak is usually when the sun sets. Even being able to store energy would be nigh impossible in a country grid, due to the sheer amount of batteries that would be needed. (Think Total Annihilation and saving up for shooting huge energy cannons, if some of you remember xD)
So I would have been ok if he complained about that. But this television/wind bullshit, man...
NoiR
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44373 Posts
March 02 2019 22:15 GMT
#23493
On March 03 2019 07:00 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 06:55 KwarK wrote:
On March 03 2019 05:18 Nouar wrote:
To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.


Trump's critique of the Green New Deal and wind energy. There are clear downsides to Wind Energy, but when part of a proper energy mix, it's fine. It's really appaling to see "the leader of the free world" having an IQ of 2, being proud of it, and his idiots cheering him on.

I guess, I should be happy that he is often too dumb to even advance his dangerous agenda. So maybe there is a chance there is still a country at the end of the tunnel.

edit : woops, the source https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit

If he thinks that’s bad wait until he hears about solar power and this new thing called night.

No, that IS a very fair criticism to make about solar power, and why we cannot really make solar panels our main source of power, since the consumption peak is usually when the sun sets. Even being able to store energy would be nigh impossible in a country grid, due to the sheer amount of batteries that would be needed. (Think Total Annihilation and saving up for shooting huge energy cannons, if some of you remember xD)
So I would have been ok if he complained about that. But this television/wind bullshit, man...

You're missing the point. Trump is presenting this as this "Emperor's New Clothes" moment where he points out the obvious flaw that all the dumb liberals have missed and everything falls apart. Wind power? But the wind doesn't even blow constantly, it'll never work.

Any renewable infrastructure system would be built with the limitations of the energy system in mind, compensation for these problems would be built in. He thinks he's blowing minds with his sudden revelation that a wind turbine only works when it's windy.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
March 02 2019 22:17 GMT
#23494
On March 03 2019 06:48 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 06:30 Danglars wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:30 FallDownMarigold wrote:
On March 03 2019 03:11 xDaunt wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:29 Ghostcom wrote:
On March 03 2019 00:03 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 02 2019 23:15 farvacola wrote:
I'd guess that this NK summit debacle will discourage Trump from making further cavalier fp moves given how poorly its worked out for him, but who knows.


I wonder if he thinks he came out of the summit looking bad, which is all that really matters to him. I guess his impression will be highly based on whether Fox News reports that he succeeded in flexing on KJU or failed to get anything done.


At least one media outlet in Denmark compared him to Reagan, liking the meeting and the no-deal to the Reagan-Gorbachev no-deal. Whether it was a success or not will depend on what happens next I think.

The leftist American media relentlessly pilloried Reagan’s diplomacy then, too. They were wrong then about him, and they are wrong now about Trump.


What is a leftist media org in the US? NYT, WaPo, WSJ, NBC, CNN, ABC, etc... none of those are leftist. They're more like moderate, maybe *slightly* left (WaPo) or right (WSJ) leaning.

It's very common among Republicans to view the aforementioned as hopelessly biased to the left. That's one reason why Trump's rhetoric resonates so well among the base. That's why polls on trust in the media to get stories right and reported honestly have tanked. You disagree with that judgement, and that's fine, so long as you know that other people think just as strongly as you that it's a fair characterization.


Why do you think people on the right think that those sources are biased on the left? Conservative friends of mine have insisted that news organizations that disagree with their personal views must be biased to the left, not realizing that the news could still be neither left nor right leaning, and that any article that disagrees with their position isn't necessarily biased or inaccurate.

For the simple reason that the bias and deceptive reporting goes beyond simple political point-of-view disagreements and it is very invisible to the ones perpetrating it. Kevin Williamson does an ample job outlining the problem:
A few days ago, I had a conversation with an earnest, left-leaning media executive who bristled a little at the suggestion that his firm was deeply biased. Bring up bias to most Democrat-leaning newspaper editors or mainstream-media executives, and you’ll almost always get the same answer: “I don’t believe we are biased,” or “I don’t see where we are biased.”

And that is the thing about genuine bias, as opposed to the devious and programmatic shaping of news coverage for partisan ends with malice aforethought: Bias is almost always invisible to the bias-holder. That’s what makes it bias. E.g., when Lydia Polgreen writes something very stupid about U.S. gun policy and reveals that she doesn’t understand what a semiautomatic weapon is, she isn’t really being malicious. She’s just ignorant of the facts about firearms and is surrounded by similarly ignorant people. Ignorance is the most common form of bias. It’s why the New York Times et al. end up sounding like Jane Goodall among the chimps when they cover conservatives, Evangelicals, those salt-of-the-earth voters who seem to spend all their time at diners in Iowa or New Hampshire, etc.

(Yeah, you’d think Polgreen et al. would write a little less authoritatively about firearms regulations — or simply write a little less about them, period — until they figure out the difference between a machine gun and a hunting rifle. But that’s journalism, circa 2018.)

(“Journalism.”)

The upside of these biases is that they can be very amusing. The indispensable Noah Rothman wrote an essay in Commentary a while back about a funny rhetorical tick in American political journalism: “Republicans pounce!” When a Republican does something stupid or wrong and gets criticized for it, the story is that a Republican has done something stupid or wrong. When a Democrat does something stupid or wrong, the story is “Republicans pounce!” on the episode, cynically looking to wring some petty advantage out of the mess. For those who lean Democrat, that is a much more pleasant story to report.

I thought of that this morning when reading the New York Times: “Vatican Power Struggle Bursts Into Open as Conservatives Pounce.” The story is about allegations that Pope Francis may have known about and was covering up for the disgraced former cardinal Theodore “Uncle Teddy” McCarrick. Many of Pope Francis’s critics, especially in the United States, are conservatives. But, presumably, the more progressive elements in the Church are also against raping children and sexually exploiting seminarians, and against covering up such crimes. There are some hard-Left elements in American Catholicism, but it is difficult to believe that any substantial portion of them would be less critical of such crimes than would their more conservative colleagues. They may be politically backward, but they are not monsters.

If true, the allegation about the pope would be a development of enormous institutional importance for the Catholic Church. But, for the New York Times, the real story is “conservatives pounce.” It’s a predictable and banal equivocation.

I am, as I sometimes feel obliged to disclose, a New York Times reader and subscriber, and an admirer of the first-rate reporting work the newspaper does. But this sort of reflexive defensiveness does point to a deep and disfiguring bias at the newspaper, one that is not necessarily rooted in malice but rather in intellectual and cultural homogeneity. That it is so easy to lampoon indicates, to me, that they are not quite aware of it. But there isn’t much excuse for being that blockheaded, either.

On the subject of the Times, I sometimes feel like Group Captain Lionel Mandrake considering the Japanese who held him prisoner and tortured him. “I don’t think they wanted me to talk, really. I don’t think they wanted me to say anything. It was just their way of having a bit of fun, the swines. Strange thing is, they make such bloody good cameras.”

National Review

It's no great wonder how it came about. The major national news outlets are clustered in heavily Democratic coastal areas and have been for decades. You can look back to the great New York Times editor A.M. Rosenthal for some of the history. The phrase "He kept the paper straight" is engraved on his gravestone, because under his leadership he consciously steered the paper to the right in order to balance out his reporters' left wing biases. It's sadly lacking today. (I also won't pound the table about "Enemies of the People" as more extreme critics than me like to do)
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
March 02 2019 22:18 GMT
#23495
On March 03 2019 07:00 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 06:55 KwarK wrote:
On March 03 2019 05:18 Nouar wrote:
To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.


Trump's critique of the Green New Deal and wind energy. There are clear downsides to Wind Energy, but when part of a proper energy mix, it's fine. It's really appaling to see "the leader of the free world" having an IQ of 2, being proud of it, and his idiots cheering him on.

I guess, I should be happy that he is often too dumb to even advance his dangerous agenda. So maybe there is a chance there is still a country at the end of the tunnel.

edit : woops, the source https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit

If he thinks that’s bad wait until he hears about solar power and this new thing called night.

No, that IS a very fair criticism to make about solar power, and why we cannot really make solar panels our main source of power, since the consumption peak is usually when the sun sets. Even being able to store energy would be nigh impossible in a country grid, due to the sheer amount of batteries that would be needed. (Think Total Annihilation and saving up for shooting huge energy cannons, if some of you remember xD)
So I would have been ok if he complained about that. But this television/wind bullshit, man...

I saw ad after ad in gaming mags when I was a kid and wanted to play it so bad, but I never had a computer good enough to play it until it was severely outdated.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44373 Posts
March 02 2019 22:25 GMT
#23496
Danglars, if a considerable proportion of the population believe in something that is demonstrably false would a neutral journalist present both sides as if they have merit?

Take vaccines for example. How would a centrist journalist cover Trump's statements on vaccines and autism such as
People that work for me, just the other day, two years old, beautiful child went to have the vaccine and came back and a week later, got a tremendous fever, got very, very sick, now is autistic.


Incidentally the anecdote is also untrue, if that helps at all.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 23:34:46
March 02 2019 23:10 GMT
#23497
On March 03 2019 07:00 Nouar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 03 2019 06:55 KwarK wrote:
On March 03 2019 05:18 Nouar wrote:
To laughter, Trump continued, mockingly: “No planes. No energy. When the wind stops blowing, that’s the end of your electric. ‘Let’s hurry up. Darling, darling, is the wind blowing today? I’d like to watch television, darling.’”

The crowd erupted in cheers and applause.


Trump's critique of the Green New Deal and wind energy. There are clear downsides to Wind Energy, but when part of a proper energy mix, it's fine. It's really appaling to see "the leader of the free world" having an IQ of 2, being proud of it, and his idiots cheering him on.

I guess, I should be happy that he is often too dumb to even advance his dangerous agenda. So maybe there is a chance there is still a country at the end of the tunnel.

edit : woops, the source https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/02/donald-trump-cpac-speech-democrats-green-new-deal-bullshit

If he thinks that’s bad wait until he hears about solar power and this new thing called night.

No, that IS a very fair criticism to make about solar power, and why we cannot really make solar panels our main source of power, since the consumption peak is usually when the sun sets. Even being able to store energy would be nigh impossible in a country grid, due to the sheer amount of batteries that would be needed. (Think Total Annihilation and saving up for shooting huge energy cannons, if some of you remember xD)
So I would have been ok if he complained about that. But this television/wind bullshit, man...


Well thankfully not many people really argue for making solar the main source of power. It’s like the whole basis of having a renewable energy mix rather than scream about CLEAN COAL like some idiot for doesn’t understand thermodynamics and pollution.

On March 03 2019 07:25 KwarK wrote:
Danglars, if a considerable proportion of the population believe in something that is demonstrably false would a neutral journalist present both sides as if they have merit?

Take vaccines for example. How would a centrist journalist cover Trump's statements on vaccines and autism such as
Show nested quote +
People that work for me, just the other day, two years old, beautiful child went to have the vaccine and came back and a week later, got a tremendous fever, got very, very sick, now is autistic.


Incidentally the anecdote is also untrue, if that helps at all.


I suspect people who moan about leftist mainstream media don’t really watch or read it and rely on Twitter feeds or National Review opinion pieces to get their proof of anti-conservative bias and how they media are the enemy of the people. Which is basically “lol I didn’t the read OP, I only looked at the title” you get on Internet forums.

It’s like how people moaned about DEEP STATE leaks when it was exceedingly clear that the leaks were coming straight from the Whitehouse. You have to be a moron to read Vanity Fairs’ Whitehouse content and not get the idea that it’s probably Kushner’s camp providing a lot of the content and angles. The leaks aren’t coming from the DEEP STATE lmao.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
March 02 2019 23:34 GMT
#23498
--- Nuked ---
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
March 02 2019 23:37 GMT
#23499
On March 03 2019 08:34 JimmiC wrote:
If there is a deep state and they are this brilliant and in control wouldn't it make more sense that Trump is actually a member and of it and this is the perfect cover to meet the deep state goals? I mean otherwise the deep state would have just stopped him before he got elected.

I had no idea Trump was an anti vaxer. Please tell me this is not becoming a left vs right thing. If to many stop getting Vaccines I'm not going to be able to travel there because herd immunity is kinda a big deal.

That's the thing. People got tired about their politicians getting bought by the rich that they wanted to shake things up by... cutting out the middleman. They literally got duped into putting a wolf in charge of the hen house.

Anti-vaxing tends to be a left brand of anti-science, along with being anti-GMO.
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
Last Edited: 2019-03-02 23:53:40
March 02 2019 23:52 GMT
#23500
I wasn't aware that either "anti-science" was a left phenemenon. Could you tell me how you came to that conclusion? Perhaps it somehow is in USA, but for the life of me I really can't see it.

Something like evolution denial and climate change denial is something that is actively supported and propagated by the "right" political parties and people in USA, whether by evangelicals, or by big petrochemical companies, but how would anti-GMO and anti-vax be actively supported and propagated by the "left"?
Prev 1 1173 1174 1175 1176 1177 6008 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 468
Dota 2
monkeys_forever532
League of Legends
Doublelift4551
Other Games
summit1g11442
JimRising 552
ViBE254
Livibee202
KnowMe189
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick834
BasetradeTV179
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 132
• Adnapsc2 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1572
• imaqtpie1020
• Shiphtur582
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 56m
Patches Events
14h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 56m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 56m
OSC
22h 56m
OSC
1d 11h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.