• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:32
CEST 14:32
KST 21:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13542 users

Suicide Notes - Page 12

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 23 Next All
Dubz
Profile Joined October 2010
United States242 Posts
April 16 2012 18:09 GMT
#221
i was really drawn to these and after reading them all, all i can say is that it truly helped me appreciate what i have in life more.
" mefjupl: if this game was balanced and we would find two players with almost same skills, in mirror match there would be a draw each game"
Angel_
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1617 Posts
April 16 2012 18:11 GMT
#222
On April 16 2012 23:02 Kiichol wrote:
I can understand why people with serious medical illnesses or handicaps could want to commit suicide or die.
I can understand why people who have to struggle immensely every day just to get food and shelter could wish to die.
I can understand why old people who may have just had enough of life and care not for waiting for death to take them wish to die.

But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?


When babies aren't loved they spontaneously die. Adolescents and young adults are no different. In general, people that have support systems (that they feel exist), and people that have anything that loves them (that they feel loves them) don't kill themselves. "Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.
BioNova
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States598 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:29:11
April 16 2012 18:18 GMT
#223
For those that just don't get it. I suggest a listen, then a moment to reflect a possible existance like the following Schizophrenia Simulation.




Perspective is everything.. The first time I got to listen to something like that it reflected their challenges to me in a way I could relate. I think myself into blurted random statements at times, and I thought I was going nutz, nope not even close...yet.

EDIT: My ex-wife worked in a facility where they had similar professional versions of what I linked to train faculty members.
I used to like trumpets, now I prefer pause. "Don't move a muscle JP!"
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:26:57
April 16 2012 18:23 GMT
#224
--- Nuked ---
BudgetTheLeech
Profile Joined September 2011
United States89 Posts
April 16 2012 18:29 GMT
#225
The one that was quite weird to me was the one about the college girl who tried to OD, but ended up being put in a hospital for a few weeks. It didn't seem like this girl actually committed suicide, because she had said at the end of the note that she appreciated everything a lot more, and actually enjoyed when people would come to her for help?

Just curious if someone could explain this to me? Like I said before, it doesn't seem like she committed suicide.
midftw
Profile Joined January 2012
Canada170 Posts
April 16 2012 18:30 GMT
#226
On April 17 2012 03:18 BioNova wrote:
For those that just don't get it. I suggest a listen, then a moment to reflect a possible existance like the following Schizophrenia Simulation.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zMxD8RV3n8E

Perspective is everything.. The first time I got to listen to something like that it reflected their challenges to me in a way I could relate. I think myself into blurted random statements at times, and I thought I was going nutz, nope not even close...yet.

EDIT: My ex-wife worked in a facility where they had similar professional versions of what I linked to train faculty members.


holy shit dude that scared me please warn people next time. I closed it after 3 secs
kranten
Profile Joined January 2012
Netherlands236 Posts
April 16 2012 18:33 GMT
#227
On April 17 2012 03:18 BioNova wrote:
For those that just don't get it. I suggest a listen, then a moment to reflect a possible existance like the following Schizophrenia Simulation.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zMxD8RV3n8E

Perspective is everything.. The first time I got to listen to something like that it reflected their challenges to me in a way I could relate. I think myself into blurted random statements at times, and I thought I was going nutz, nope not even close...yet.

EDIT: My ex-wife worked in a facility where they had similar professional versions of what I linked to train faculty members.


They hear that all day long? wow that's really scary
Kiichol
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden182 Posts
April 16 2012 18:34 GMT
#228
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 23:02 Kiichol wrote:
I can understand why people with serious medical illnesses or handicaps could want to commit suicide or die.
I can understand why people who have to struggle immensely every day just to get food and shelter could wish to die.
I can understand why old people who may have just had enough of life and care not for waiting for death to take them wish to die.

But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?


When babies aren't loved they spontaneously die. Adolescents and young adults are no different. In general, people that have support systems (that they feel exist), and people that have anything that loves them (that they feel loves them) don't kill themselves. "Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.


I never claimed to be anything but ignorant regarding this subject =) So thanks captain obvious.
people that have support systems (that they feel exist)

Could you elaborate on this point? Give an example, I don't really understand it.
“In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.” - Oscar Wilde
Jojo131
Profile Joined January 2011
Brazil1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:35:41
April 16 2012 18:34 GMT
#229
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 23:02 Kiichol wrote:
I can understand why people with serious medical illnesses or handicaps could want to commit suicide or die.
I can understand why people who have to struggle immensely every day just to get food and shelter could wish to die.
I can understand why old people who may have just had enough of life and care not for waiting for death to take them wish to die.

But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?


When babies aren't loved they spontaneously die. Adolescents and young adults are no different. In general, people that have support systems (that they feel exist), and people that have anything that loves them (that they feel loves them) don't kill themselves. "Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

You're not taking the whole argument into consideration. Rational does factor into things because there are other people who dont even have the bare necessities that another person considering suicide may have. Therefore I would argue that it is ignorant and even disrespectful to not appreciate your "crappy" life when someone else (for example here in the Philippines) would love to have it in exchange for their's.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:43:49
April 16 2012 18:37 GMT
#230
On April 17 2012 02:21 Jojo131 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 02:07 Barburas wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:48 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:41 mcc wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:25 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 16 2012 23:42 Thorakh wrote:
But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?
It's so easy for us to say that, but we've never experienced a situation in which we were completely lost and in the dark.

And who are you to say that someone is living a 'comfortable' life? You might have all the money in the world, loving wife/husband and kids and still be emotionally broken.

It's all about how you feel from the inside. I find this attitude of bashing suicide disgusting, to say the least.

If you have the money to eat 3 square meals a day, sleep in a decent bed, not have to worry about someone killing you in your sleep, or any combination of the three, there are going to be people wishing they had your life. Mental illness and emotional pains aren't exclusive to anyone either, yet there are people who deal with any combination of the above and still keep going.

Suddenly life isn't so bad?

Yes there are people who deal with them and there are those who do not deal with it. And rarely is the difference in some strength of character or something. There is nothing free about decision to kill yourself or not in a lot of cases. All of that is nicely predetermined by the condition they are suffering from and their brains. The only thing that can change how it will end is outside pressure : drugs, other people's influence, ... . Are you also going to say about those who die of cancer that they are weak, because there are others that did not die from the same cancer ?

Terminal illness like cancer =/= Emotional mental illness, why did you even compare the two?
If someone didn't die of a certain cancer, I'd call that a miracle.


Except they really are of similar severities, it's just peoples perception of depression is often very different to physical diseases which are more easily tangible. There's often a suggestion that people should just "get over it" or they're being lazy or something like that, but that's not how depression works.

While I dont disagree with that notion, there are also people who commit suicide out of general unhappiness with what they have without consideration of people who live in worse conditions. That was my main/initial point for this topic, and why I still think there is room to criticize some suicide cases.


This is the most moronic argument I have ever come across in the discussion of suicide. And yet it keeps popping up again and again, almost as if it wishes to let its stupidity become more well known. An analogy: If you lose a leg, you ought not to complain, because there are people in the world that have lost both legs. And if you lost both legs, stop complaining - there is someone out there who doesn't have any limbs at all. And if you don't have any limbs, well, there's someone out there that has no sight or hearing. Let us keep going down the line, admitting that we can never complain about anything, because there is always some poor soul suffering more than ourselves.

While it may be comforting to you that there is always someone else in the world suffering more than you are, that in itself does not take away from any of the suffering you experience. This is the grand mistake that you continue to make over and over again. Some sort of weird presumption that thinking about others who suffer more than you somehow magically can decrease your own suffering. It doesn't. The suffering of others is in fact completely independent and has no transvaluation upon your suffering.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Angel_
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1617 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:41:45
April 16 2012 18:40 GMT
#231
On April 17 2012 03:34 Jojo131 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
On April 16 2012 23:02 Kiichol wrote:
I can understand why people with serious medical illnesses or handicaps could want to commit suicide or die.
I can understand why people who have to struggle immensely every day just to get food and shelter could wish to die.
I can understand why old people who may have just had enough of life and care not for waiting for death to take them wish to die.

But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?


When babies aren't loved they spontaneously die. Adolescents and young adults are no different. In general, people that have support systems (that they feel exist), and people that have anything that loves them (that they feel loves them) don't kill themselves. "Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

You're not taking the whole argument into consideration. Rational does factor into things because there are other people who dont even have the bare necessities that another person considering suicide may have. Therefore I would argue that it is ignorant and even disrespectful to not appreciate your "crappy" life when someone else (for example here in the Philippines) would love to have it in exchange for their's.


What I was saying is that emotions and your emotional well-being aren't "rational" at all, so there is no point in arguing that doing something isn't rational when it's mainly based on your emotions. For the same reason, it's pointless to say, "well you should just appreciate your life" because the simplest answer is, "fine, they can have it". It doesn't matter. Literally, it does not matter. Arguing material things to someone for whom those material things have absolutely no value again, is just a viewpoint of someone that's never been in that place emotionally.
-----

And support systems, um. What I mean mostly is people who you can share your life with that impact it in a positive way. That's really broad. You might have lots of people in your life but that doesn't mean that they have any positive impact that you can feel. That doesn't mean you feel loved by them. That doesn't mean that you feel like you have any purpose or meaning to them, or that they can relate to you and help you, or that you have any positive place in their life either. Maybe that helps?
Jojo131
Profile Joined January 2011
Brazil1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:51:13
April 16 2012 18:45 GMT
#232
On April 17 2012 03:37 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 02:21 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 17 2012 02:07 Barburas wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:48 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:41 mcc wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:25 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 16 2012 23:42 Thorakh wrote:
But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?
It's so easy for us to say that, but we've never experienced a situation in which we were completely lost and in the dark.

And who are you to say that someone is living a 'comfortable' life? You might have all the money in the world, loving wife/husband and kids and still be emotionally broken.

It's all about how you feel from the inside. I find this attitude of bashing suicide disgusting, to say the least.

If you have the money to eat 3 square meals a day, sleep in a decent bed, not have to worry about someone killing you in your sleep, or any combination of the three, there are going to be people wishing they had your life. Mental illness and emotional pains aren't exclusive to anyone either, yet there are people who deal with any combination of the above and still keep going.

Suddenly life isn't so bad?

Yes there are people who deal with them and there are those who do not deal with it. And rarely is the difference in some strength of character or something. There is nothing free about decision to kill yourself or not in a lot of cases. All of that is nicely predetermined by the condition they are suffering from and their brains. The only thing that can change how it will end is outside pressure : drugs, other people's influence, ... . Are you also going to say about those who die of cancer that they are weak, because there are others that did not die from the same cancer ?

Terminal illness like cancer =/= Emotional mental illness, why did you even compare the two?
If someone didn't die of a certain cancer, I'd call that a miracle.


Except they really are of similar severities, it's just peoples perception of depression is often very different to physical diseases which are more easily tangible. There's often a suggestion that people should just "get over it" or they're being lazy or something like that, but that's not how depression works.

While I dont disagree with that notion, there are also people who commit suicide out of general unhappiness with what they have without consideration of people who live in worse conditions. That was my main/initial point for this topic, and why I still think there is room to criticize some suicide cases.


This is the most moronic argument I have ever come across in the discussion of suicide. And yet it keeps popping up again and again, almost as if it wishes to let it's stupidity become more well known. An analogy: If you lose a leg, you ought not to complain, because there are people in the world that have lost both legs.

While it may be comforting to you that there is always someone else in the world suffering more than you are, that in itself does not take away from any of the suffering you experience. This is the grand mistake that you continue to make over and over again. Some sort of weird presumption that thinking about others who suffer more than you somehow magically can decrease your own suffering. It doesn't.

I dont think I was very clear.
The point is not to decrease one's suffering, or to say that one should not complain. It is to give them a reason to keep living and to know that there are people worse off that you can help (purpose?). That is a way of how you prevent suicide.

Also you might want to calm a bit.
Cor_Malek
Profile Joined April 2010
Poland61 Posts
April 16 2012 18:45 GMT
#233
Lately I've been reading a book on suicidology, named with oh so much finesse: "Suicidology". Problem is, I had to read it in a library, they don't lend it. It also was in magazine, so I had to ask one librarian for it, another processed it and it was brought to me by third - possibly an inside joke of Universe (so all 3 librarians knew what I was reading, I was one of 2 people there at the time).

Tragic as the subject might be, or maybe because of that... when one reads about a method of suicide by strangulation that involves a washing machine, or that among medical personel only anesthesiologists use exclusively injection as their method of choice (you might need to be "in the know" of medical status quo and/or slightly mental to find the latter apropriate) - I just couldn't help to giggle. And every time I did that I drawed looks from the librarians, and begun to write down the total number of losses on my part. 11 times -_-

On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
"Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

Yeah... no...

Being rational actually has a lot to do with that In fact, most people who have commited suicide have been in a state of internal turmoil and in situation that made them prone to suicide, but did not do it and possibly would not have done it until they were inebrieted and the Rational lost to the Emotional.

Think of it like punching someone in a bar. It's not rational. But most people don't do it because they do not realize that, but because they lost control for an ever so important moment.

Which is also why though small amounts of alcohol can lower stress of cognitive dissonance in some difficult situations, it is inadvisable for people in state of that vulnerability to drink alcohol, as they can easily get fatally tipsy.

Cheers!
Two little goblins out in the sun. Down came a griffin, and there was one.
Angel_
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1617 Posts
April 16 2012 18:49 GMT
#234
On April 17 2012 03:45 Cor_Malek wrote:
Lately I've been reading a book on suicidology, named with oh so much finesse: "Suicidology". Problem is, I had to read it in a library, they don't lend it. It also was in magazine, so I had to ask one librarian for it, another processed it and it was brought to me by third - possibly an inside joke of Universe (so all 3 librarians knew what I was reading, I was one of 2 people there at the time).

Tragic as the subject might be, or maybe because of that... when one reads about a method of suicide by strangulation that involves a washing machine, or that among medical personel only anesthesiologists use exclusively injection as their method of choice (you might need to be "in the know" of medical status quo and/or slightly mental to find the latter apropriate) - I just couldn't help to giggle. And every time I did that I drawed looks from the librarians, and begun to write down the total number of losses on my part. 11 times -_-

Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
"Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

Yeah... no...

Being rational actually has a lot to do with that In fact, most people who have commited suicide have been in a state of internal turmoil and in situation that made them prone to suicide, but did not do it and possibly would not have done it until they were inebrieted and the Rational lost to the Emotional.

Think of it like punching someone in a bar. It's not rational. But most people don't do it because they do not realize that, but because they lost control for an ever so important moment.

Which is also why though small amounts of alcohol can lower stress of cognitive dissonance in some difficult situations, it is inadvisable for people in state of that vulnerability to drink alcohol, as they can easily get fatally tipsy.

Cheers!


you and i aren't talking about the same thing really. =\ i understand your point, but it's not strictly related to what I was saying if you look at the post I was responding to.
Wrongspeedy
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1655 Posts
April 16 2012 18:53 GMT
#235
On April 17 2012 03:34 Jojo131 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
On April 16 2012 23:02 Kiichol wrote:
I can understand why people with serious medical illnesses or handicaps could want to commit suicide or die.
I can understand why people who have to struggle immensely every day just to get food and shelter could wish to die.
I can understand why old people who may have just had enough of life and care not for waiting for death to take them wish to die.

But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?


When babies aren't loved they spontaneously die. Adolescents and young adults are no different. In general, people that have support systems (that they feel exist), and people that have anything that loves them (that they feel loves them) don't kill themselves. "Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

You're not taking the whole argument into consideration. Rational does factor into things because there are other people who dont even have the bare necessities that another person considering suicide may have. Therefore I would argue that it is ignorant and even disrespectful to not appreciate your "crappy" life when someone else (for example here in the Philippines) would love to have it in exchange for their's.


Ahh I get it now! Money = Happiness! I can live the rest of my life now without fear or regret! THANKS /end sarcasm
It is better to be a human dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied.- John Stuart Mill
Holy_AT
Profile Joined July 2010
Austria978 Posts
April 16 2012 18:53 GMT
#236
Is there some proof that these are real ?
Some of them seem to be rather strange.
Jojo131
Profile Joined January 2011
Brazil1631 Posts
April 16 2012 18:54 GMT
#237
On April 17 2012 03:53 Wrongspeedy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 03:34 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
On April 16 2012 23:02 Kiichol wrote:
I can understand why people with serious medical illnesses or handicaps could want to commit suicide or die.
I can understand why people who have to struggle immensely every day just to get food and shelter could wish to die.
I can understand why old people who may have just had enough of life and care not for waiting for death to take them wish to die.

But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?


When babies aren't loved they spontaneously die. Adolescents and young adults are no different. In general, people that have support systems (that they feel exist), and people that have anything that loves them (that they feel loves them) don't kill themselves. "Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

You're not taking the whole argument into consideration. Rational does factor into things because there are other people who dont even have the bare necessities that another person considering suicide may have. Therefore I would argue that it is ignorant and even disrespectful to not appreciate your "crappy" life when someone else (for example here in the Philippines) would love to have it in exchange for their's.


Ahh I get it now! Money = Happiness! I can live the rest of my life now without fear or regret! THANKS /end sarcasm


It certainly helps.
Hider
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Denmark9448 Posts
April 16 2012 18:54 GMT
#238
On April 17 2012 03:45 Cor_Malek wrote:
Lately I've been reading a book on suicidology, named with oh so much finesse: "Suicidology". Problem is, I had to read it in a library, they don't lend it. It also was in magazine, so I had to ask one librarian for it, another processed it and it was brought to me by third - possibly an inside joke of Universe (so all 3 librarians knew what I was reading, I was one of 2 people there at the time).

Tragic as the subject might be, or maybe because of that... when one reads about a method of suicide by strangulation that involves a washing machine, or that among medical personel only anesthesiologists use exclusively injection as their method of choice (you might need to be "in the know" of medical status quo and/or slightly mental to find the latter apropriate) - I just couldn't help to giggle. And every time I did that I drawed looks from the librarians, and begun to write down the total number of losses on my part. 11 times -_-

Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 03:11 Angel_ wrote:
"Rational" doesn't remotely factor in to anything. And frankly, the idea that emotional turmoil can't be bad enough that someone could consider death is just...ignorant, really.

Yeah... no...

Being rational actually has a lot to do with that In fact, most people who have commited suicide have been in a state of internal turmoil and in situation that made them prone to suicide, but did not do it and possibly would not have done it until they were inebrieted and the Rational lost to the Emotional.

Think of it like punching someone in a bar. It's not rational. But most people don't do it because they do not realize that, but because they lost control for an ever so important moment.

Which is also why though small amounts of alcohol can lower stress of cognitive dissonance in some difficult situations, it is inadvisable for people in state of that vulnerability to drink alcohol, as they can easily get fatally tipsy.

Cheers!


Im sure you can be rational and commit suicide, given that we define rational as someone who is making a "cost-benefit analysis" (outweighting benefits against costs). However the analysis will always be completely subjective, and hence one could make a rational decision that others would regard as irraitonal. But then again, even though other people might think they made the wrong decision, they have no clue, as they do not understand the "costs" of living for other people. Maybe some people just hates everyday of their life, and see few advantages to living.
Mvrio
Profile Joined July 2011
689 Posts
April 16 2012 18:55 GMT
#239
On April 17 2012 01:17 craz3d wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 16 2012 16:09 DeceiverSC2 wrote:
On April 16 2012 16:04 SC2Phoenix wrote:
M, Married, 56

Dearest Helena,

By now, the news of our defeat has reached the Earth. The creatures we were sent here to tame are untameable... And the colonies we were sent to reclaim have proven to be stronger than we anticipated.

Whatever you may hear about what has happened out here, know this: Alexei did not die a hero. I killed him... my pride killed him. And now my pride has consumed me as well.

You will never see me again, Helena.

Tell our children that I love them, and that their father died in defense of their future.

Au revoir
As sad as this thread is, I laughed pretty damn hard at this.


He could have some form of psychosis, you're a sick fucker.


It's from the BW campaign...

damn someone just got told oohhohohoho haha
On October 03 2011 Jinsho wrote: Everyone is just a speck of fly dirt on the wall compared to Greg playing at his best :D
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-16 18:57:29
April 16 2012 18:55 GMT
#240
On April 17 2012 03:45 Jojo131 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 17 2012 03:37 shinosai wrote:
On April 17 2012 02:21 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 17 2012 02:07 Barburas wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:48 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:41 mcc wrote:
On April 17 2012 01:25 Jojo131 wrote:
On April 16 2012 23:42 Thorakh wrote:
But I cannot for the life of me understand people who commit suicide when they live relatively comfortable lives and still have decades to live for. No amount of emotional turmoil should lead one to thinking death is an option. It's not rational thinking. No one knows what happens when you die (despite what religious institutions may tell you). The only thing we do know is that death is eternal. So live now, while you still can. What have you got to lose? Death will find you eventually. Why rush it?
It's so easy for us to say that, but we've never experienced a situation in which we were completely lost and in the dark.

And who are you to say that someone is living a 'comfortable' life? You might have all the money in the world, loving wife/husband and kids and still be emotionally broken.

It's all about how you feel from the inside. I find this attitude of bashing suicide disgusting, to say the least.

If you have the money to eat 3 square meals a day, sleep in a decent bed, not have to worry about someone killing you in your sleep, or any combination of the three, there are going to be people wishing they had your life. Mental illness and emotional pains aren't exclusive to anyone either, yet there are people who deal with any combination of the above and still keep going.

Suddenly life isn't so bad?

Yes there are people who deal with them and there are those who do not deal with it. And rarely is the difference in some strength of character or something. There is nothing free about decision to kill yourself or not in a lot of cases. All of that is nicely predetermined by the condition they are suffering from and their brains. The only thing that can change how it will end is outside pressure : drugs, other people's influence, ... . Are you also going to say about those who die of cancer that they are weak, because there are others that did not die from the same cancer ?

Terminal illness like cancer =/= Emotional mental illness, why did you even compare the two?
If someone didn't die of a certain cancer, I'd call that a miracle.


Except they really are of similar severities, it's just peoples perception of depression is often very different to physical diseases which are more easily tangible. There's often a suggestion that people should just "get over it" or they're being lazy or something like that, but that's not how depression works.

While I dont disagree with that notion, there are also people who commit suicide out of general unhappiness with what they have without consideration of people who live in worse conditions. That was my main/initial point for this topic, and why I still think there is room to criticize some suicide cases.


This is the most moronic argument I have ever come across in the discussion of suicide. And yet it keeps popping up again and again, almost as if it wishes to let it's stupidity become more well known. An analogy: If you lose a leg, you ought not to complain, because there are people in the world that have lost both legs.

While it may be comforting to you that there is always someone else in the world suffering more than you are, that in itself does not take away from any of the suffering you experience. This is the grand mistake that you continue to make over and over again. Some sort of weird presumption that thinking about others who suffer more than you somehow magically can decrease your own suffering. It doesn't.

I dont think I was very clear.
The point is not to decrease one's suffering, or to say that one should not complain. It is to give them a reason to keep living and to know that there are people worse off that you can help (purpose?). That is a way of how you prevent suicide.

Also you might want to calm a bit.


It's a highly ineffective way at preventing suicide, if that was your goal. All it tends to do is piss people off, because what you're essentially doing is downplaying the person's pain by telling them it's not that bad (look at other people! they're okay) without actually addressing their pain. It's pretentious, insensitive, and quite frankly pathetic. I only wish that we can someday live in a world where such appeals are immediately dismissed without question, because of how completely absurd they are.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings114
CranKy Ducklings SOOP46
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko304
SHIN 182
ProTech144
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 35848
Hyuk 1592
Bisu 1533
Shuttle 1335
EffOrt 364
Mind 362
Larva 300
firebathero 254
Soma 180
Mini 163
[ Show more ]
ZerO 150
Last 141
Hm[arnc] 92
Leta 90
Zeus 78
Pusan 67
hero 54
Hyun 54
Killer 42
Sexy 40
Bale 37
Trap 37
ToSsGirL 31
PianO 27
Aegong 24
sorry 21
zelot 16
yabsab 13
Noble 11
JulyZerg 9
Sacsri 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
Dota 2
Gorgc2161
qojqva1268
Dendi1084
XcaliburYe443
XaKoH 406
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1559
crisheroes327
Other Games
gofns33576
singsing2579
B2W.Neo1161
Happy227
DeMusliM213
Livibee121
Mew2King106
ToD98
ArmadaUGS49
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream158
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 62
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8683
League of Legends
• Jankos1683
Other Games
• WagamamaTV237
Upcoming Events
FEL
3h 28m
AI Arena Tournament
4h 28m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6h 28m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
21h 28m
INu's Battles
23h 28m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 11h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 21h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.