• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:23
CEST 07:23
KST 14:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9653 users

Australia to vote on Gay marrige - Page 22

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 37 Next All
meatbox
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia349 Posts
October 21 2011 08:00 GMT
#421
On October 21 2011 16:57 NeonFox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 16:40 meatbox wrote:
On October 21 2011 16:31 Shiragaku wrote:
On October 21 2011 16:30 meatbox wrote:
On October 21 2011 16:27 Shiragaku wrote:
I am gay and I will be a horrible parent should I have kids. Is it because I am gay? No, because I am a shitty person. There is a major difference between a genetic trait and a trait of the individual. We fags are human after all. :D

Gay men would make terrible parents, I'm all for lesbians though.

I am being trolled hard DX

No your not

For a gay male couple to raise a child they'd require rigorous examination. A homosexual male's brain is virtually the same as a heterosexual female's. Fancy having a child raised by two straight women...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7456588.stm


Any article, even posted on the BBC, stating that sexual preferences are decided even before birth is to be taken with a huge grain of salt. I'm pretty sure there are scientific studies stating the opposite and scientists that believe otherwise as always with studies.

Feel free to provide your sources, that article describes the work of neurologists, if I were you I'd believe the facts.
www.footballanarcy.com/forum
Velocirapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States983 Posts
October 21 2011 08:07 GMT
#422
On October 21 2011 13:14 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 13:09 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:08 Evil_Monkey_ wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.

User was banned for this post.

I find it quite laughable to ban this guy for stating his opinion. People are entitled to their opinion and anyone who actually believes in the bible and sodom and gomora would be against this, but I guess you could just ban all Christians who actually believe in this, seeing as their opinions aren't politically correct or valid according to you.
Personally, I'm for homosexual marriage but am against ALL kinds of homosexual adoption and impregnation operations. I think children are entitled to a mother and a father, not uncle Bob and uncle Ted.


Who are you to decide what children are entitled to? Are children entitled to abusive fathers and alcoholic mothers too? What if a gay couple could provide what your regular male female parents couldn't?

Don't bring up Sodom and Gomorra, unless you love black slavery too.


Who are you to decide that children have no right to their mother and father?

The burden of proof isn't on conservatives to prove that the change they oppose is bad. The burden of proof is on liberals, to prove that the change they promote is for the good. That liberals have managed to switch it around, is their greatest strength, because almost all of the changes that liberalism has ever promoted have done irrepairable harm to its host society.


This is fundamentally wrong i think. It is not up to the individual to justify his/her actions in a free society, it is up to the government to justify the limitations it enforces to the individuals. Just because something is institutional now doesnt change this dynamic. If the government cant justify the limitation with objective, non-religious reasoning then it should be abolished. Even accepting this it is VERY rare that there is an issue as clear cut as allowing gay marriage. I have literally never heard of a requirement for straight marriage that a same sex couple cant meet other than being opposite sex (which is an arbitrary delineation just like when interracial marriage wasnt allowed).
Kickstart
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1941 Posts
October 21 2011 08:16 GMT
#423
On October 21 2011 17:07 Velocirapture wrote:

This is fundamentally wrong i think. It is not up to the individual to justify his/her actions in a free society, it is up to the government to justify the limitations it enforces to the individuals. Just because something is institutional now doesnt change this dynamic. If the government cant justify the limitation with objective, non-religious reasoning then it should be abolished. Even accepting this it is VERY rare that there is an issue as clear cut as allowing gay marriage. I have literally never heard of a requirement for straight marriage that a same sex couple cant meet other than being opposite sex (which is an arbitrary delineation just like when interracial marriage wasnt allowed).


Exactly right, the ones imposing limitations are the ones who should be stating why they should be in place. The reason you have never heard of a requirement for marriage that a same sex couple can not meet is because there are none. Almost every argument against gay marriage is based on someones religious convictions, no matter how hard they try to hide the fact behind something else.
meatbox
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia349 Posts
October 21 2011 09:03 GMT
#424
Unrelated question:

How do you greet a butch lesbian? Hand shake or kiss on the cheek?

Hmm!
www.footballanarcy.com/forum
Doomwish
Profile Joined July 2011
438 Posts
October 21 2011 09:12 GMT
#425
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
October 21 2011 09:16 GMT
#426
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.

Nope hes right.
Deekin[ was just banned by zatic.

That account was created on 2010-12-20 19:22:35 and had 1685 posts.

Reason: You history here + martyring = bye.
Kickstart
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1941 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 09:18:50
October 21 2011 09:17 GMT
#427
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.


The issue has been addressed already and your accusations against the mods is unwarranted. If you in any way set yourself up to be a martyr, TL staff will make you one : ], this has long been their stance. Personally I agree that giving him a warning might have been more appropriate (if this is his only incident, but I don't know his post history which I am sure played a role in the decision), but like I said it is sort of TL 'policy' that if you want to martyr yourself, they will oblige.
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 09:19:26
October 21 2011 09:17 GMT
#428
I really cannot understand how gay marriage is still not allowed in so many developed countries.

Oh and
[image loading]
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
Doomwish
Profile Joined July 2011
438 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 09:25:52
October 21 2011 09:19 GMT
#429
On October 21 2011 18:17 Kickstart wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.


The issue has been addressed already and your accusations against the mods is unwarranted. If you in any way set yourself up to be a martyr, TL staff will make you one : ], this has long been their stance. Personally I agree that giving him a warning might have been more appropriate, but like I said it is sort of TL 'policy' that if you want to martyr yourself, they will oblige.


That doesn't look like a martyr to me. Martyr is more like.... BAN ME IF YOU WANT IMA SAY IT ANYWAY.....(insert rant) He was just trying to walk lightly while expressing his opinion.

whatevs
Kickstart
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States1941 Posts
October 21 2011 09:24 GMT
#430
Like I said, from that one post I don't really think a ban is warranted. But again, as I also stated, I don't know his post history - he could have been warned before or done this sort of thing one too many times; and the reasons cited for his ban were post history and martyring so.....
Anyways.

Out of curiosity if anyone has an argument against gay marriage or has heard of one that is not religiously based I would like to hear it because I am sort of convinced that every argument stems from religion.

meatbox
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia349 Posts
October 21 2011 09:26 GMT
#431
On October 21 2011 18:16 ShadeR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.

Nope hes right.
Deekin[ was just banned by zatic.

That account was created on 2010-12-20 19:22:35 and had 1685 posts.

Reason: You history here + martyring = bye.

Sounds like he would have been banned at the first opportunity he gave the mods though...
www.footballanarcy.com/forum
Linwelin
Profile Joined March 2011
Ireland7554 Posts
October 21 2011 09:36 GMT
#432
On October 21 2011 18:26 meatbox wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 18:16 ShadeR wrote:
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.

Nope hes right.
Deekin[ was just banned by zatic.

That account was created on 2010-12-20 19:22:35 and had 1685 posts.

Reason: You history here + martyring = bye.

Sounds like he would have been banned at the first opportunity he gave the mods though...


Yes and?
Fuck Razor and Death Prophet
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
October 21 2011 09:38 GMT
#433
On October 21 2011 17:07 Velocirapture wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 13:14 vetinari wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:09 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:08 Evil_Monkey_ wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.

User was banned for this post.

I find it quite laughable to ban this guy for stating his opinion. People are entitled to their opinion and anyone who actually believes in the bible and sodom and gomora would be against this, but I guess you could just ban all Christians who actually believe in this, seeing as their opinions aren't politically correct or valid according to you.
Personally, I'm for homosexual marriage but am against ALL kinds of homosexual adoption and impregnation operations. I think children are entitled to a mother and a father, not uncle Bob and uncle Ted.


Who are you to decide what children are entitled to? Are children entitled to abusive fathers and alcoholic mothers too? What if a gay couple could provide what your regular male female parents couldn't?

Don't bring up Sodom and Gomorra, unless you love black slavery too.


Who are you to decide that children have no right to their mother and father?

The burden of proof isn't on conservatives to prove that the change they oppose is bad. The burden of proof is on liberals, to prove that the change they promote is for the good. That liberals have managed to switch it around, is their greatest strength, because almost all of the changes that liberalism has ever promoted have done irrepairable harm to its host society.


This is fundamentally wrong i think. It is not up to the individual to justify his/her actions in a free society, it is up to the government to justify the limitations it enforces to the individuals. Just because something is institutional now doesnt change this dynamic. If the government cant justify the limitation with objective, non-religious reasoning then it should be abolished. Even accepting this it is VERY rare that there is an issue as clear cut as allowing gay marriage. I have literally never heard of a requirement for straight marriage that a same sex couple cant meet other than being opposite sex (which is an arbitrary delineation just like when interracial marriage wasnt allowed).


I think we approach the restriction of liberties, and existing laws in general, from two different angles.

I believe that the correct approach, is to assume that all existing laws had a good secular purpose. Then, until the justifications for the law are understood, the law should not be changed. And should only be changed if the change benefits society as a whole.

Consider, for example, the restrictions on pork in muslim/jewish religion. This restriction did not come about by accident, but because in the climate in which Islam/Judaism originated, pork would quickly putrefy, leading to mass food poisoning when consumed. However, with the advent of refrigeration, this restriction is now obsolete and can be safely discarded.

Or, consider the restriction of female sexual partner choice. In the past, father/mothers would choose the spouses of their children. This is something most people consider to be archaic and morally wrong, to restrict the freedom of their daughters. However, this too had good secular reason: women select in part for the dark triad*.. In this case, however, we lifted the restrictions before we understood the reasons. The consequence? Criminals now have a fertility rate more than double that of law abiding citizens, a plague of single mothers, with the attendant social costs, and men, instead of being encouraged to earn the respect of the girls father (which would occur by demonstrating bravery, industry, goodness, intelligence), are now incentivized to be cads and thugs.

*among other reasons. FYI, the dark triad are the traits of narcissism, psychopathy, machiavellianism. People who have them are basically evil.

ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
October 21 2011 10:01 GMT
#434
On October 21 2011 18:36 Linwelin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 18:26 meatbox wrote:
On October 21 2011 18:16 ShadeR wrote:
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.

Nope hes right.
Deekin[ was just banned by zatic.

That account was created on 2010-12-20 19:22:35 and had 1685 posts.

Reason: You history here + martyring = bye.

Sounds like he would have been banned at the first opportunity he gave the mods though...


Yes and?

The straw that broke the camels back... whats your point 0.O
meatbox
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia349 Posts
October 21 2011 11:55 GMT
#435
On October 21 2011 18:36 Linwelin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 18:26 meatbox wrote:
On October 21 2011 18:16 ShadeR wrote:
On October 21 2011 18:12 Doomwish wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:42 PanoRaMa wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.


You won't get banned for your opinion, especially if you offer it in a civil manner.

AFAIK there's much evidence that disagrees with your belief that being gay is an unnatural thing though.

Anyway, Australians, what is the % likelihood that gay marriage is allowed? In California we felt pretty good about Prop 8 getting turned down (at least in my geodemographic) but we lost by a bit


Looks like you were wrong there. Someone's playing thought-police again.

Nope hes right.
Deekin[ was just banned by zatic.

That account was created on 2010-12-20 19:22:35 and had 1685 posts.

Reason: You history here + martyring = bye.

Sounds like he would have been banned at the first opportunity he gave the mods though...


Yes and?

Nazis

(lol)
www.footballanarcy.com/forum
Harpwn
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Australia253 Posts
October 21 2011 12:14 GMT
#436
People with the 'child deserves a mother and father argument'....

I'm not going to even argue that, although imo its a load of crap.

More importantly, i've got a friend whose family looks after kids who have been mistreated or have been dumped by their parents. Those kids can sit in foster care until theyre 18, but do you honestly think they'd be better off in the foster system (or staying with parents who dont want them or mistreat them) than they would be if they were with a gay couple who loved and looked after them to the best of their ability?

I've seen some pretty messed up kids who could really do with a better home.
Promises
Profile Joined February 2004
Netherlands1821 Posts
October 21 2011 12:43 GMT
#437
On October 21 2011 18:38 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 17:07 Velocirapture wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:14 vetinari wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:09 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:08 Evil_Monkey_ wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.

User was banned for this post.

I find it quite laughable to ban this guy for stating his opinion. People are entitled to their opinion and anyone who actually believes in the bible and sodom and gomora would be against this, but I guess you could just ban all Christians who actually believe in this, seeing as their opinions aren't politically correct or valid according to you.
Personally, I'm for homosexual marriage but am against ALL kinds of homosexual adoption and impregnation operations. I think children are entitled to a mother and a father, not uncle Bob and uncle Ted.


Who are you to decide what children are entitled to? Are children entitled to abusive fathers and alcoholic mothers too? What if a gay couple could provide what your regular male female parents couldn't?

Don't bring up Sodom and Gomorra, unless you love black slavery too.


Who are you to decide that children have no right to their mother and father?

The burden of proof isn't on conservatives to prove that the change they oppose is bad. The burden of proof is on liberals, to prove that the change they promote is for the good. That liberals have managed to switch it around, is their greatest strength, because almost all of the changes that liberalism has ever promoted have done irrepairable harm to its host society.


This is fundamentally wrong i think. It is not up to the individual to justify his/her actions in a free society, it is up to the government to justify the limitations it enforces to the individuals. Just because something is institutional now doesnt change this dynamic. If the government cant justify the limitation with objective, non-religious reasoning then it should be abolished. Even accepting this it is VERY rare that there is an issue as clear cut as allowing gay marriage. I have literally never heard of a requirement for straight marriage that a same sex couple cant meet other than being opposite sex (which is an arbitrary delineation just like when interracial marriage wasnt allowed).


I think we approach the restriction of liberties, and existing laws in general, from two different angles.

I believe that the correct approach, is to assume that all existing laws had a good secular purpose. Then, until the justifications for the law are understood, the law should not be changed. And should only be changed if the change benefits society as a whole.

Consider, for example, the restrictions on pork in muslim/jewish religion. This restriction did not come about by accident, but because in the climate in which Islam/Judaism originated, pork would quickly putrefy, leading to mass food poisoning when consumed. However, with the advent of refrigeration, this restriction is now obsolete and can be safely discarded.

Or, consider the restriction of female sexual partner choice. In the past, father/mothers would choose the spouses of their children. This is something most people consider to be archaic and morally wrong, to restrict the freedom of their daughters. However, this too had good secular reason: women select in part for the dark triad*.. In this case, however, we lifted the restrictions before we understood the reasons. The consequence? Criminals now have a fertility rate more than double that of law abiding citizens, a plague of single mothers, with the attendant social costs, and men, instead of being encouraged to earn the respect of the girls father (which would occur by demonstrating bravery, industry, goodness, intelligence), are now incentivized to be cads and thugs.

*among other reasons. FYI, the dark triad are the traits of narcissism, psychopathy, machiavellianism. People who have them are basically evil.



If i understand you correctly you're sayaing men should make the important life choices for women because they are unable to do so themselves. If this is a logic you want to follow then that's fine but it means you'll hold to a fundamental inequality of genders, besides which you'll have to argue why men are suited to make the decisions for others. There are probably areas where men have an unadvantageous perspective while women are more objective; should they in these cases decide for men?
I'm a man of my word, and that word is "unreliable".
Blaec
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia4289 Posts
October 21 2011 13:04 GMT
#438
On October 21 2011 18:38 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 17:07 Velocirapture wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:14 vetinari wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:09 GettinMyFill wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:08 Evil_Monkey_ wrote:
On October 21 2011 06:39 Deekin[ wrote:
I hope I dont get banned for my opinion, but I think being gay is pretty unnatural. If I think about it, it disgusts me, alot. But I think gay marriage should be allowed all over the world. Because I think people should be happy, and if they are gay and are happy, then its just great for them.

User was banned for this post.

I find it quite laughable to ban this guy for stating his opinion. People are entitled to their opinion and anyone who actually believes in the bible and sodom and gomora would be against this, but I guess you could just ban all Christians who actually believe in this, seeing as their opinions aren't politically correct or valid according to you.
Personally, I'm for homosexual marriage but am against ALL kinds of homosexual adoption and impregnation operations. I think children are entitled to a mother and a father, not uncle Bob and uncle Ted.


Who are you to decide what children are entitled to? Are children entitled to abusive fathers and alcoholic mothers too? What if a gay couple could provide what your regular male female parents couldn't?

Don't bring up Sodom and Gomorra, unless you love black slavery too.


Who are you to decide that children have no right to their mother and father?

The burden of proof isn't on conservatives to prove that the change they oppose is bad. The burden of proof is on liberals, to prove that the change they promote is for the good. That liberals have managed to switch it around, is their greatest strength, because almost all of the changes that liberalism has ever promoted have done irrepairable harm to its host society.


This is fundamentally wrong i think. It is not up to the individual to justify his/her actions in a free society, it is up to the government to justify the limitations it enforces to the individuals. Just because something is institutional now doesnt change this dynamic. If the government cant justify the limitation with objective, non-religious reasoning then it should be abolished. Even accepting this it is VERY rare that there is an issue as clear cut as allowing gay marriage. I have literally never heard of a requirement for straight marriage that a same sex couple cant meet other than being opposite sex (which is an arbitrary delineation just like when interracial marriage wasnt allowed).


I think we approach the restriction of liberties, and existing laws in general, from two different angles.

I believe that the correct approach, is to assume that all existing laws had a good secular purpose. Then, until the justifications for the law are understood, the law should not be changed. And should only be changed if the change benefits society as a whole.

Consider, for example, the restrictions on pork in muslim/jewish religion. This restriction did not come about by accident, but because in the climate in which Islam/Judaism originated, pork would quickly putrefy, leading to mass food poisoning when consumed. However, with the advent of refrigeration, this restriction is now obsolete and can be safely discarded.

Or, consider the restriction of female sexual partner choice. In the past, father/mothers would choose the spouses of their children. This is something most people consider to be archaic and morally wrong, to restrict the freedom of their daughters. However, this too had good secular reason: women select in part for the dark triad*.. In this case, however, we lifted the restrictions before we understood the reasons. The consequence? Criminals now have a fertility rate more than double that of law abiding citizens, a plague of single mothers, with the attendant social costs, and men, instead of being encouraged to earn the respect of the girls father (which would occur by demonstrating bravery, industry, goodness, intelligence), are now incentivized to be cads and thugs.

*among other reasons. FYI, the dark triad are the traits of narcissism, psychopathy, machiavellianism. People who have them are basically evil.



Greetings time traveler from the distant past. Where people used words like 'cad' and women were part of dark triads.

Anyway, I really doubt we will see Gay marriage. Especially on a conscience vote, that would split labor in the parliament, and the liberals would be united against it. Which is a terrible move.

Perhaps Gillard could take it to the next election, but she already has so many reform issues; Carbon tax, NBN, Mining tax. So I can't see gay marriage until Labor's next campaign from opposition.
The KY
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom6252 Posts
October 21 2011 13:27 GMT
#439
Man I love the slippery slope argument some people are using in this thread.

It works both ways. I mean, if we illegalise gay marriage, how long before marriage is illegal for everyone? What THEN??

Anyways Louis CK has quite a good bit on this whole issue.

Nathaniel1
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia3 Posts
October 21 2011 13:27 GMT
#440
i now a gay person in my secondary school. he's been outspoken in the past about his sexuality, but only when people are hating on him, and people encourage him alot. it's so good to see that he isn't (not sure how to properly put this) going on about this voting thing. honestly, i havent heard a word from him about it, whereas i'm sure there are many crying on the streets about this and most likely hating on the people against it. it's like hes completely content to just sit back and see what happens
?
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft744
PiGStarcraft218
StarCraft: Brood War
Horang2 385
Stork 206
ggaemo 142
Leta 121
PianO 61
Hyuk 32
Bale 16
yabsab 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm200
League of Legends
JimRising 697
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox542
Mew2King59
Westballz46
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor635
Other Games
summit1g8851
Coldzera 830
C9.Mang0297
Sick126
RuFF_SC2120
ViBE82
ArmadaUGS42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick692
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream128
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• Letter1410
• Adnapsc2 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2196
League of Legends
• Lourlo1402
• Stunt393
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
4h 37m
Online Event
5h 37m
FEL
10h 37m
AI Arena Tournament
11h 37m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
13h 37m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 6h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 13h
Replay Cast
1d 18h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.