• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:46
CEST 00:46
KST 07:46
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)61Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8098 users

Australia to vote on Gay marrige - Page 20

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 37 Next All
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
October 21 2011 06:23 GMT
#381
On October 21 2011 15:15 hummingbird23 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 14:50 Brett wrote:
On October 21 2011 14:37 Alay wrote:
On October 21 2011 14:31 Brett wrote:
On October 21 2011 14:24 Tektos wrote:
On October 21 2011 14:17 Brett wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:28 matjlav wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:19 Brett wrote:
On October 21 2011 13:01 matjlav wrote:
On October 21 2011 12:55 Brett wrote:
I'm all for homosexual unions which result in the couple receiving the same rights and benefits as a heterosexual couple, I just don't believe it should be called marriage... because it's not. Marriage, by definition, means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.

Not everthing has to be the same. Equal but different is fine by me.


By whose definition? See, the funny thing about words is that their definitions are not set in stone by universal decree. And what would bother you so much about the word "marriage" being defined as the union between any two consenting adults?

There's no denying that the word "marriage" has years of social value that you deny to homosexual couples when you give them the cold, stuffy label of a "civil union." You could make a lot of people happier by just giving them equal acknowledgement with the same title. Why not just do it? Your rhetoric all just ends up being a cover for heterosexism because the only reason to be concerned about the definition of the word "marriage" is if you're somehow concerned about being somehow tainted by the gays.

By definition of hundreds of years of experience and existence. By definition of legislation in this country: http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/consol_act/ma196185/s5.html.


Do you realize that this argument is just "We shouldn't make gay marriage legal because gay marriage isn't legal"? This entire debate is over whether we should change the current legal definition of marriage.

On October 21 2011 13:19 Brett wrote:
I already told you "why not just do it?". Because not everything has to be the same.


Errrm, that's not a reason. If making gay unions and straight unions have the same name makes a large number people happier, you have to provide some reason not to do it for your argument against it to have any reason at all.

What are the negative consequences of legally redefining the word "marriage" to include same-sex couples?

This entire debate is not about the definition of marriage at all. It's about equality for homosexual people. I am all for such couples having the same legal rights and benefits as heterosexual couples because the law should be blind.

What you are arguing about though is a notion of perception. You are arguing that everthing should be mashed up and called the same so as not to acknowledge any difference, and reduce the possibilty of highlighting difference. You are saying that the highlighting of difference, in this case by calling the 'unions' different things, leads to dislike, hate or discrimination of homosexual couples.

My view is that such a notion is nonsense. The difference is there. Pretending it doesn't exist doesn't change anything, it just pushes it underground. It's no different to continuing racism where the law (no longer) recognises any difference between people. Idiotic people who don't understand things different to them (homosexual couples, other races, whatever), and fear what they don't understand, will continue to feel the same, regardless of what you do to hide the difference.

In this particular case, in the process of pushing for homosexual unions to be called marriage, you are diluting the traditional definition of marriage as you go. And you're doing it purely because of perception, differences in which will always exist. That's not a good enough reason for me. There is value in tradition.


So you support the segregation of gay people?

"They're gay, they can't have what we have because we're not like them but we'll give them something about the same it'll be fine"

Don't be an idiot. It's not segregation at all.


In what way is it not?

They're not being separated from society in any way shape or form. They have their own ceremony, which results in a union called something other than marriage. A union which confers the same rights and benefits as marriage. This is no different to men having a "Buck's night" and women having a "Hen's night". That's not segregation.


If of course there is a law that prohibits any and all discrimination between a "marriage" and a "civil union" and that all (and I mean ALL) rights and responsibilities that apply to one must by law apply to the other, I think it would be fine. Barring that, I think the usage of the term "marriage" is the simplest and most effective way to achieve equality.


Currently, all of the rights and responsibilities of marriage apply to any two people who are classified as in a de facto relationship.

Well, there is one difference. You get to call yourself "Mrs" if you are married.
Midori8
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia126 Posts
October 21 2011 06:31 GMT
#382
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.
ShadeR
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Australia7535 Posts
October 21 2011 06:36 GMT
#383
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.

Your first sentence is a bit contradictory =P.
People 'being' gay just to be controversial? Thats a thing?
CharlieBrownsc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada598 Posts
October 21 2011 06:40 GMT
#384
I still don't understand how it was ever illegal for gay marriage to occur in a democratic country
SC2 ID: CharlieBrown.318, #1 bitbybit.Prime fan
GogoKodo
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Canada1785 Posts
October 21 2011 06:40 GMT
#385
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.

How do you feel about mixed race children and the potential bullying they faced?
twitter: @terrancem
Rhine
Profile Joined October 2011
187 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 06:43:04
October 21 2011 06:42 GMT
#386
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.


No problem. I don't think people are gay because they want to be controversial. It's not a choice. It's a lot of stress in the majority of cases. If you think you got bullied....

Additionally, there is no reason to believe same sex parents would be worse parents on average. In fact, quite the opposite, sexual orientation has close to no bearing on their parenting (with the exception that their kids tend to be more accepting). You can take a look a few pages back for links. People only fear gay people because they don't understand them and there's a historical/cultural stigma. This is why we should work towards a better understanding, not just of gays, but of many other groups of people.
Midori8
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia126 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 06:46:20
October 21 2011 06:42 GMT
#387
On October 21 2011 15:36 ShadeR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.

Your first sentence is a bit contradictory =P.
People 'being' gay just to be controversial? Thats a thing?

With the first sentence, I just mean that to me it feels wrong for gay people to get married, but if they want to do it and it doesn't affect me I don't have a problem with it.

As for people being gay just to be controversial, I would imagine that happens, but if you'd like to prove that no-one ever did that before, go ahead.

Edit: also about the mixed race children thing, racism is going down in my opinion, and has been for ages. Discrimination against gays is a lot more common.

Yes in hindsight I probably should think a bit more. My bad.
Rhine
Profile Joined October 2011
187 Posts
October 21 2011 06:50 GMT
#388
Don't apologize lol. There are similarities between same-sex parents and mixed race parents. You're right, racism has been going down, and that's the point.
sigma_x
Profile Joined March 2008
Australia285 Posts
October 21 2011 06:51 GMT
#389
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.


I think you are asserting two different (but not necessarily mutually exclusive) points:
1) A child, growing up with same sex parents, will suffer developmental problems that a child with a mother and father would not.
2) A child should not be brought up in circumstances likely to lead to bullying.

On the first, I would have thought that this is a scientifically testable assumption. It is perhaps better to base any such argument from current psychological research rather than anecdotally. I do not know what research is done though.

On the second, I am not very convinced on this point. This logic seems to suggest that ugly or obese parents shouldn't adopt children.
OmniEulogy
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada6600 Posts
October 21 2011 06:52 GMT
#390
my stance is that I couldn't care less. But if it gets legalized in Canada there better be a straight pride parade or I'll cry for equal treatment. thats my only issue. Equal Treatment is fine, giving people special rights because they are a minority will cross my line. Good Luck Aussi's what ever the outcome somebody will be upset.
LiquidDota Staff
sigma_x
Profile Joined March 2008
Australia285 Posts
October 21 2011 06:59 GMT
#391
On October 21 2011 15:52 OmniEulogy wrote:
my stance is that I couldn't care less. But if it gets legalized in Canada there better be a straight pride parade or I'll cry for equal treatment. thats my only issue. Equal Treatment is fine, giving people special rights because they are a minority will cross my line. Good Luck Aussi's what ever the outcome somebody will be upset.


There is a famous quote by an American judge that goes, "It is a wise man who said that there is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals". Just some food for thought.
Midori8
Profile Joined January 2011
Australia126 Posts
October 21 2011 07:00 GMT
#392
On October 21 2011 15:51 sigma_x wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.


I think you are asserting two different (but not necessarily mutually exclusive) points:
1) A child, growing up with same sex parents, will suffer developmental problems that a child with a mother and father would not.
2) A child should not be brought up in circumstances likely to lead to bullying.

On the first, I would have thought that this is a scientifically testable assumption. It is perhaps better to base any such argument from current psychological research rather than anecdotally. I do not know what research is done though.

On the second, I am not very convinced on this point. This logic seems to suggest that ugly or obese parents shouldn't adopt children.

On the first point, like I said, I am uninformed.
On the second, not to offend anybody, but it is a lot more normal to be ugly/obese than gay.
vetinari
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia602 Posts
October 21 2011 07:01 GMT
#393
On October 21 2011 15:51 sigma_x wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.


I think you are asserting two different (but not necessarily mutually exclusive) points:
1) A child, growing up with same sex parents, will suffer developmental problems that a child with a mother and father would not.
2) A child should not be brought up in circumstances likely to lead to bullying.

On the first, I would have thought that this is a scientifically testable assumption. It is perhaps better to base any such argument from current psychological research rather than anecdotally. I do not know what research is done though.

On the second, I am not very convinced on this point. This logic seems to suggest that ugly or obese parents shouldn't adopt children.


Obese parents shouldn't adopt children. If they can't even look after themselves, how can you expect them to look after their children properly. ><
babylon
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
8765 Posts
October 21 2011 07:03 GMT
#394
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.

In response to your first point, this young gentleman says everything more eloquently than I ever could:



As for the second point, kids are bullied all the time for all sorts of different reasons: appearance, race, gender, personality, grades, etc. God, I was bullied all the time after school on the bus through all of middle school for being "too quiet" and Asian. How about, instead of saying that some parents shouldn't adopt/have kids for whatever reason due to the threat of those kids becoming a target of bullying, we instead teach our kids that, y'know, bullying is fucking wrong?
Tanukki
Profile Joined June 2011
Finland579 Posts
October 21 2011 07:04 GMT
#395
#IHopeIDontGetBannedForThisBut

I'm of the opinion that gay couples can get married. It wouldn't really change much. The real issue is whether they are eligible for parenting.
Rhine
Profile Joined October 2011
187 Posts
October 21 2011 07:07 GMT
#396
On October 21 2011 16:00 Xalonark wrote:

On the first point, like I said, I am uninformed.
On the second, not to offend anybody, but it is a lot more normal to be ugly/obese than gay.


On the first, there's evidence suggesting parenting and child development is independent of orientation. And on the second, it is more "normal" indeed, as it is more common (damn fatty foods). But that doesn't dismiss the point. It used to be case that people of "other" races were beaten. But we've made a lot of progress in that regard.

Also to the point about the hetero parade. I had the same opinion. But talking to gays and lesbians, i found out that it's not really for me. It's for acceptance. It's to tell the other scared teens who are afraid of themselves and of others' reaction to them. They're different, and they want to state that it's ok to be different, and that it's even "normal." There's no point in a hetero parade, since it's already everywhere
AugustDreams
Profile Joined April 2011
Australia127 Posts
October 21 2011 07:10 GMT
#397
I don't mind if gays get married, I accepted the fact that it would happen eventually a long time ago since there is such a large movement towards it. On the matter on gays adopting I don't have an opinion one way or the other, my dad on the other hand is heavily against it.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AugustDreams - My Let's Play Channel!
palookieblue
Profile Joined September 2010
Australia326 Posts
October 21 2011 07:14 GMT
#398
On October 21 2011 15:21 Regime wrote:
it will not get passed in australia 99% of australians do not want anything to do with the gay men and women. they are almost shuned from society.

myself and every single person i know would vote no
Pretty sure you don't have to vote, it's your representatives in the relevant houses that do.

On October 21 2011 15:18 vetinari wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2011 14:59 DropBear wrote:
On October 21 2011 14:48 Probulous wrote:
On October 21 2011 14:46 DropBear wrote:
Ahahaha can you imagine the look on Tony Abbott's face if it gets passed!

Labor needs to push all this sort of stuff through before they inevitably lose the election, before it's too late and the world's greatest neanderthal takes over.


Worlds greatest neanderthal

Strange he was actually a rhode's scholar so he must have some intelligence hidden somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Abbott

You've got to be kidding, really? Must have been a really bad year academically here lol.

I would consider voting Liberal if literally anyone else was their leader. They currently have no policy except criticising Labor's policy and the man is dangerous.

I thought Julia was against gay marriage? Maybe she's just having the vote for lols to piss off Abbott, she's already female, unmarried, childless and athiest why not add gay-friendly to the list


He isn't that bad, tbh. He is doing the smart thing, and letting labor self-destruct.

Labor is fucked anyway. Their traditional base, (blue collar workers) are being slowly taken over by the liberals (it helps that Abbott has the alpha male, family man persona), while their other base, the intellectual, progressive types, are going to the greens.

The next decade is going to be interesting in aussie politics.
Abbott is nowhere near as bad as most people make him out to be, but Turnbull would be a better leader. However it looks like that ship has sailed. Labor is in a horrible position as they try and pander to both ends of the political spectrum at once. I would associate 'progressive' with the Greens but certainly not intellectual. They are a joke of a party, their values are non-existant and god forbid the day where they have to control the Australian economy.

Regarding the main topic, I don't really care much about the progression of this bill/law as I've always believed that real social change happens in the collective psyche of the citizens, and in Australia this issue was decided a very long time before this thread was made and before this 'vote' was announced. Frankly I'm more concerned with the Carbon Tax and it's implications.
oyoyo
meatbox
Profile Joined August 2011
Australia349 Posts
October 21 2011 07:15 GMT
#399
On October 21 2011 15:40 CharlieBrownsc wrote:
I still don't understand how it was ever illegal for gay marriage to occur in a democratic country

Tthe majority is against it... do you understand democracy?

(hehe)
www.footballanarcy.com/forum
Whitewing
Profile Joined October 2010
United States7483 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-21 07:19:14
October 21 2011 07:17 GMT
#400
On October 21 2011 15:31 Xalonark wrote:
I am not the regular Australian teenager, but my opinion:

With gay people getting married, I don't really like it but it doesn't affect me and they should be able to do what they want. I am fine with it. I don't really like it if people are gay just to be controversial, though, but by no means do I think that all gays are like this.

But in terms of them adopting children, I do not think this is good. Even if you think that two same sex parents could give the same care to a child (I don't agree with this, but may be under informed), the social consequences would be a problem in my opinion.

I was bullied in primary school (elementary school), not much, but I was. At one point I didn't talk to anyone at all and just read books by myself at break times. But it was terrible and I think it had a big effect on me. I would imagine that if a person was the child of gay people, and they were at a point in school where other kids would know what being gay is etc. then bullying would be a massive issue.

You may have noticed that I wrote this post somewhat carefully, so if I upset anyone I don't mean it, we may have different opinions but we are entitled to them.


All the scientific evidence that exists shows that being gay is not a choice or a decision, it's simply who they are. Occasionally some schmuck decides to be bi-curious for a short while, but that never lasts, and they don't exactly choose to get married during this period.

Also, a number of links and sources have been provided in this thread already showing that homosexual parents are just as good if not better than heterosexual parents at raising well-adjusted children. Please get informed.

Frankly, people who are opposed to this are either just squeamish and don't like change or differences they aren't used to, or actually have no idea what the hell they are talking about.
Strategy"You know I fucking hate the way you play, right?" ~SC2John
Prev 1 18 19 20 21 22 37 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta19
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE76
Nina 70
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 182
Dewaltoss 78
Hyuk 63
Noble 29
Bale 15
NaDa 13
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm137
League of Legends
Doublelift4216
Counter-Strike
Fnx 729
minikerr3
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King79
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5505
Khaldor741
Other Games
summit1g8141
FrodaN2078
shahzam515
JimRising 319
KnowMe280
C9.Mang0255
ZombieGrub94
ArmadaUGS68
Trikslyr44
PPMD34
CosmosSc2 20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream71
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH347
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2784
Other Games
• imaqtpie797
• Shiphtur177
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
11h 14m
Online Event
12h 14m
FEL
17h 14m
AI Arena Tournament
18h 14m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
20h 14m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 11h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 20h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-01
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Proleague 2026-10-02
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.