• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:04
CEST 11:04
KST 18:04
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
mca64Launcher 2.0 Sagi.gg Launcher Released [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6960 users

Suicide in Korea - Page 11

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Lythox
Profile Joined November 2010
Netherlands161 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-24 23:04:34
May 24 2011 23:01 GMT
#201
Well, I can honestly relate to those koreans, although its different for me. Instead of studying and learning all the time, I do it almost not at all. Reason being that I don't know what I want and learning what I have to learn now feels so pointless I have no motivation for it at all. It can drive you kind of crazy when you're in that situation because everything in the world is about school and how well you perform in it...

Dad tells me whatever you learn doesn't matter, because it's all about showing you have the capacity to do things. I know this is true but I just can't help it but feel no motivation at all to do any of the work. It feels pretty much like you're learning the entire world of math, and the amount of it coming in handy will pretty much be limited to the amount of change you'll receive from the milk you bought with your 2 euro coin.
Popss
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden176 Posts
May 24 2011 23:11 GMT
#202
On May 25 2011 08:01 Lythox wrote:
Well, I can honestly relate to those koreans, although its different for me. Instead of studying and learning all the time, I do it almost not at all. Reason being that I don't know what I want and learning what I have to learn now feels so pointless I have no motivation for it at all. It can drive you kind of crazy when you're in that situation because everything in the world is about school and how well you perform in it...

Dad tells me whatever you learn doesn't matter, because it's all about showing you have the capacity to do things. I know this is true but I just can't help it but feel no motivation at all to do any of the work. It feels pretty much like you're learning the entire world of math, and the amount of it coming in handy will pretty much be limited to the amount of change you'll receive from the milk you bought with your 2 euro coin.


Honestly the biggest problem I have with society or parents putting this kind of pressure on young people is simply the fact that in my opinion school up until university is simply getting used to studying rather than actually accumulating useful skills.
OS.Commander
Profile Joined May 2011
Colombia45 Posts
May 24 2011 23:14 GMT
#203
It´s pretty shocking news to me. I think an examination of the educational system as well as the reasons for such a high level of competitiveness is a good idea. Ravencruiser mentions above that the reason people compete so much for the higher level universities is for the good jobs later in life. This is true but it is not everything. As well as good jobs people compete for the reputation and standing in society.

I think that competitiveness can be a very positive force when people compete constructively for positive results. But in my mind positive results are those that work towards equity for all life and towards diminishing the systems of economic class and societal status which divide us.

In the states, tragically, there are also many young person suicides. Whatever they result from, hopelessness, stress, bullying, they all speak loudly on what should be the fundamental question: How can we work towards a society which is more tolerant and supportive of all life and less focused on the ego and self-aggrandizement of the individual. I think the world is in need of a paradigm shift about how we live as individuals as well as a society.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this troubling news.
nubstick27
Profile Joined May 2011
United States2 Posts
May 24 2011 23:21 GMT
#204
Hello everyone,

Suicide in Korea really is, in my opinion, a tragedy. Students committing suicide is a tragedy anywhere... In Korea, It is clearly the number one reason for students' deaths and is acknowledged as a problem by many education leaders in Korea.

In response, the Korean government, with the leadership of the department of education research (교육과학기술부), has initiated a program to educate teachers and parents about suicide prevention. There are .pdfs of prevention protocols and lesson plans for educating elementary and middle school students, along with materials for said lesson.

The department will also attempt to track the reach and efficacy of this program.

Let's hope for the children of Korea that this program will be beneficial...

source: http://www.schoolhealth.kr/LuBoard/SHealth/SHDataBbsList.php?GbnCode=0109 (Korean -- you may also have to view with IE)
Frequencyy
Profile Joined April 2011
United States344 Posts
May 24 2011 23:51 GMT
#205
Wow I had NO idea how hard it was for the students in korea, I feel pressure in the United States to perform well but that's just because we always hear about countries like japan and korea who are trying twice as hard to get jobs, a very eye opening post for me. THat's awful.
You will not do incredible things without an incredible dream
ZiegFeld
Profile Joined April 2011
351 Posts
May 24 2011 23:58 GMT
#206
It's survival of the fittest in a world of limited resources. Nature's natural selection at work, there really isn't anything to be done about it.
swisher3
Profile Joined May 2011
6 Posts
May 25 2011 01:52 GMT
#207
On May 25 2011 08:58 ZiegFeld wrote:
It's survival of the fittest in a world of limited resources. Nature's natural selection at work, there really isn't anything to be done about it.


i hope one day youll know what it feels like to be depressed and kill yourself

User was warned for this post
jackblack2323
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States71 Posts
May 25 2011 02:24 GMT
#208
On May 25 2011 08:58 ZiegFeld wrote:
It's survival of the fittest in a world of limited resources. Nature's natural selection at work, there really isn't anything to be done about it.


I totally agree man.

Nothing against Koreans though, I just don't show any sympathy for anyone weak enough to just give up and commit suicide; Korean or not.

I think humans are messing up natural selection by telling everyone what to do, and trying to convince the weak to be stronger.

just my 2 minerals~
Rykros
Profile Joined May 2011
483 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-27 05:06:02
May 25 2011 02:32 GMT
#209
removed
Deadeight
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1629 Posts
May 25 2011 11:27 GMT
#210
On May 25 2011 11:24 jackblack2323 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 08:58 ZiegFeld wrote:
It's survival of the fittest in a world of limited resources. Nature's natural selection at work, there really isn't anything to be done about it.


I totally agree man.

Nothing against Koreans though, I just don't show any sympathy for anyone weak enough to just give up and commit suicide; Korean or not.

I think humans are messing up natural selection by telling everyone what to do, and trying to convince the weak to be stronger.

just my 2 minerals~




I completely understand both your views, I do. But the reason they're unacceptable in todays society is that we're supposed to have moved beyond that, made a progression. I can guarantee if you had been brought up in certain situations, you would commit suicide. You would. Terrible, terrible stuff can happen that could make you wish you were dead. I'm not saying you'd expect sympathy if you commit suicide, but many of these same people in other circumstances could have ended up much stronger than you, been much happier than you, contributed more than you to society, etc.




P.S. If this turns into a discussion I'm predicting we'll see Godwin's Law.
SpaceFighting
Profile Joined January 2010
New Zealand690 Posts
May 25 2011 11:42 GMT
#211
sucks ass.... here i am, naturally smart, not studying at all until about 2-3days before a really life-changing exam and getting a A- average, never do homework or nothing, except listen in class and that little 2-3days before an exam, keep in mind im still in my last year of high school, so its not as intense.

i wouldn't have a damn clue what academic pressure would feel like.. my prayers goes out to the victims and family's
kuz pro
Jakkerr
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands2549 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 11:52:20
May 25 2011 11:49 GMT
#212
Well it's mainly cultural.
In The Netherlands most people really don't stress about school, it's not like ur life is over if u don't pass some exams.
But yeh in a culture where you are judged on performance I can imagine the pressure, it still should never never never be a reason to ever commit suicide tho :/
Korean government should get some sort of campaign going to take away some of the pressure on the students, 'it doesn't matter'
Skilledblob
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany3392 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-25 11:54:47
May 25 2011 11:53 GMT
#213
to me it looks like this system produces a lot of robots that learn everything but never train any critical thinking. And to me it looks like in the end asian countries produce a lot of "yes-men" that never produce an own opinion.

I am no fan of the german university attitude of " do what you want we dont care" but seriously I am really happy that I live here and didnt get pressured to learn so much crap for university entry when I wanted to study something that probably wouldnt be asked in those tests anyway
Bactrian
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia176 Posts
May 25 2011 12:11 GMT
#214
On May 25 2011 11:24 jackblack2323 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 08:58 ZiegFeld wrote:
It's survival of the fittest in a world of limited resources. Nature's natural selection at work, there really isn't anything to be done about it.


I totally agree man.

Nothing against Koreans though, I just don't show any sympathy for anyone weak enough to just give up and commit suicide; Korean or not.

I think humans are messing up natural selection by telling everyone what to do, and trying to convince the weak to be stronger.

just my 2 minerals~


As usual the fringe batshit insane eugenicists come out of the woodwork. Maybe look at predictive variables for suicide, then tell me how many are at an individual level that could be genetically selected for*.

*Protip: There's gender, try selecting for that (lol). Then there's ones that can both both social or genetic, like personality (which is more social) and family mental health problems (which varies depending on illness).

Maybe get a clue before using the deaths of others to boost your self esteem.
Odeyuken
Profile Joined June 2009
France94 Posts
May 25 2011 12:24 GMT
#215
On May 25 2011 11:24 jackblack2323 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 25 2011 08:58 ZiegFeld wrote:
It's survival of the fittest in a world of limited resources. Nature's natural selection at work, there really isn't anything to be done about it.


I totally agree man.

Nothing against Koreans though, I just don't show any sympathy for anyone weak enough to just give up and commit suicide; Korean or not.

I think humans are messing up natural selection by telling everyone what to do, and trying to convince the weak to be stronger.

just my 2 minerals~


Jesus. F*cking. Christ.
chaogui2
Profile Joined November 2010
New Zealand31 Posts
May 25 2011 13:09 GMT
#216
It's sad that while the purpose of studying is to prepare a better life for the future you, the pressure of it ends up ruining the life of some people.

Thank goodness that I got moved from China to New Zealand at a young age. While China seems to be less competitive than Korea, I still often hear about how my cousins back there who study for what seems to me like inhuman hours. Although my parents still have the competitive 'who's better at raising their child' mentality with their other NZ Chinese friends, they generally allow me to do whatever I want without getting angry unless my GPA drops below an A average.

I don't like the general high-pressure Asian education system. Although it results in high exam marks, I think it causes most students to just study for how to score well in exams instead of how to do well in the real world. I'm a 2nd year electrical&electronic enginerring student and the other day I was horrified to see another Asian student studying for a test by basically rewriting out the whole coursebook. The sad thing is that while she'll probably get A+ for memorising how to do questions, all that memorisation is doing is teaching her not to use her brain which probably won't help much in the real world since you'll be solving problems using theory and knowledge instead of reciting how to do it out of some book.
ipx
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia34 Posts
May 25 2011 13:15 GMT
#217
And what does South Korea achieve by putting that much emphasis on these tests? Some will succeed some will fail, but this is poor measure of a person's ability.

All you are doing is manufacturing an army of worker drone robots with the same ability to repeat other people's ideas.

I think the application process for universities should be way more general and seek to find well rounded individuals with original ideas not just those who can regurgitate stuff from books with efficiency.
Voldron
Profile Joined February 2011
Greece91 Posts
May 25 2011 13:27 GMT
#218
On May 24 2011 08:21 jinorazi wrote:
i'm not sure if it isnt mentioned in OP or the article but i want to point out finance troubles play a part too.

just watched this on MBN.

the college tuitions in korea have risen 30% in the past 4 years while majority of the school do not accept credit cards, cash only for tuitions. there is a 24 month plan but with 30% interest. only 1 out of 15 schools take credit card but limited to a few certain cc companies that has ties with the school. school claims that 1.5% transaction fee is too much of a burden.

i really hope cultural revolution takes place to change parent's view on academic achievements (ie. its ok to do music, its ok to breakdance, its ok to be an artist), make going to school fun and enjoyable, not a do or die institute.

as a 9 year old in korea. i went to school at 8am, finished at 2pm, went to afterschool from 3 to 8.
6 days a week.

longer days for my older sister and brother. USA felt like heaven.

what?... Lol that system sucks kill ur president or something... just kidding. But i think thats a bit too much of reading to be honest
ReaperX
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Hong Kong1758 Posts
May 25 2011 13:29 GMT
#219
This is so sad, my friend actually moved from Korea to Hong Kong because of how pressuring Korean education was, I can feel how the poor guy did before he chose to do what he did. RIP
Artosis : Clide. idrA : Shut up.
Pandemona *
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Charlie Sheens House51493 Posts
May 25 2011 13:37 GMT
#220
Such a sad, sad post.

Theres so many pros and cons in the idea of what goes on in the Korean education system. For a good thing, all this studying provides the country with exceptional levels of intelligence over the whole of korea, not just a limited number in most countrys. However i guess so many people can't take the pressure, myself personally i have never been in a heavy pressured situation, i have had pressure but i just coasted through it, but its never been major like the way it sounds in Korea.

I guess the only solution is to take the pressure off somehow, counciling won't solve this problem, even if it was made compulsory people don't react the way someone tells them to react.

There is one thing i would like to add, the IQ level of someone doesn't always bring the success in buisness level, those great people such as Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jr., Einstein, Jesus, Henry Ford, Winston Churchill, all believed in one common thing;

Imagination Is the Key to Life!

They all beleived in what we all did as a child, they beleived that with a great idea, no matter the level of your I.Q if you just practiced/preached whatever, you will eventually reach success, whether it was saving England from defeat in WW2 like churchill, or getting equality in a racist country as MLK did or just make that car you always dreamt of like Henry Ford! Don't let people stop you from doing something because of your I.Q level! You need not focus on intelligence but mainly the imagination!



ModeratorTeam Liquid Football Thread Guru! - Chelsea FC ♥
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 16 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 56m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 744
actioN 663
BeSt 340
Killer 226
Mong 149
Dewaltoss 127
sorry 69
sSak 39
ZergMaN 35
Aegong 31
[ Show more ]
Larva 30
Bale 29
NotJumperer 22
ToSsGirL 18
yabsab 16
Noble 12
HiyA 4
Counter-Strike
byalli598
Other Games
summit1g11663
olofmeister965
Happy365
Sick203
crisheroes169
Pyrionflax113
KnowMe112
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream38
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos916
• Stunt433
Other Games
• WagamamaTV119
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
56m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1h 56m
Monday Night Weeklies
6h 56m
Replay Cast
13h 56m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 1h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 14h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.