• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:06
CEST 13:06
KST 20:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9008 users

University A neccesity? - Page 4

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 Next All
Joementum
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
787 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-05 05:49:02
January 05 2011 05:43 GMT
#61
On January 05 2011 13:26 bubblegumbo wrote:
University is necessary, don't believe in anything else some of these people say otherwise. Not everyone can be like Bill Gate and drop out of college/Harvard and become successful. Having an University degree is like having a high school degree now, everyone has one and it's a bare requirement to achieve for almost any job that is not based on minimum wage.



Uh, no it's not. My father grew up poor in Portugal and had to drop out of school in like the 6th grade to start working and help his family survive. He and my mother now own 2 houses here in NJ and are pretty damn successful. They've worked their asses off to get where they were and it has paid off immensely. My father started off doing manual labor for a construction company and worked his way up to make a pretty good amount of money. My mother went from making cleaning houses to get by to getting a job at a hospital in the Environmental service department. I currently don't have a college degree (in this process of getting one) and I make enough money to live on my own, pay off all expenses and still have left over money for whatever.

What it comes down to is how hard you work. If you're a hard worker, you will make money with or without a degree. A degree is only going to help you get that first job quicker or help you get into that $50+ /hour job after a few years of experience. Without the degree, you'll very rarely get the $50+ /hour job, but you could definitely shoot for the $20-$30 /hour job if you work hard. This isn't just a "rare" occurrence either. I know many other people that barely have a high school education and make a comfortable living. Yes, they have to work harder than someone with a college degree, but it works for them.

To the OP. You can probably try working 40 hours per week and still go to school if you can somehow arrange student loans. It won't be easy, but if you really want to go to a University, then it is possible. If not, you can always go back to school later in life when your family situation is good.
A marine walks into a bar and asks, "Wheres the counter?"
killanator
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States549 Posts
January 05 2011 06:00 GMT
#62
No, but its certainly easier with a degree. A computer science degree is a very secure degree, in that the industry is expanding and the jobs pay well. You could probably still make money with web design though, if you have taken some of those classes even though you havent graduated. And if you wanted to you could ditch CS and take up a completely different trade, which as people have said you can be paid as an apprentice.
DJ, put it back on!
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-05 06:04:46
January 05 2011 06:04 GMT
#63
It's absolutely not a necessity, but you're asking the wrong question. It's like asking yourself, "Do I need to go to this party to hook up with someone?" Absolutely not, but it increases your opportunity. I don't think anyone can deny that.

How much is variable depending on what you want to do, what you're studying, where you go, who you know, etc. but even attending the smallest community college will probably increase the number of opportunities to find yourself a niche.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
uSnAmplified
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1029 Posts
January 05 2011 06:09 GMT
#64
No, but you need the have experience or higher learning in a vocational field that people need, Its just often looked down upon because society is geared towards people with formal college degrees.
~
Edahspmal
Profile Joined October 2010
United States156 Posts
January 05 2011 06:10 GMT
#65
On January 05 2011 11:11 Sm3agol wrote:
I'm currently making about $55k a year at age 25 with no college degree, so no, it's not exactly necessary.
Edit:
On the other hand though, I would love to have a degree.....it just isn't worth it, because in the time it would take to get a degree, I could have made $210k....I would love a degree in music...but the practical side of me knows that I'll never make good money playing what I love, classical music.

Helps for math, $55k*4 = $220k
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
January 05 2011 06:15 GMT
#66
On January 05 2011 15:10 Edahspmal wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2011 11:11 Sm3agol wrote:
I'm currently making about $55k a year at age 25 with no college degree, so no, it's not exactly necessary.
Edit:
On the other hand though, I would love to have a degree.....it just isn't worth it, because in the time it would take to get a degree, I could have made $210k....I would love a degree in music...but the practical side of me knows that I'll never make good money playing what I love, classical music.

Helps for math, $55k*4 = $220k

He said he'd be a music major.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
ZeromuS
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada13425 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-05 06:26:39
January 05 2011 06:21 GMT
#67
At the moment if you want to do anything in a professional work environment (hired by a company) or do contract work you need a form of credential. This means that even in the trades a credential like a certificate is necessary and while this doesnt require university it requires more than just highschool. Even miners need to go to miners college and complete a certificate program before mining coal, nickel etc.

Apprenticeships also involve some form of course work post high school. The only thing that doesnt require post school work is a business that doesnt require certification (few and far between nowadays) and professional sports.

On January 05 2011 14:43 Joementum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2011 13:26 bubblegumbo wrote:
University is necessary, don't believe in anything else some of these people say otherwise. Not everyone can be like Bill Gate and drop out of college/Harvard and become successful. Having an University degree is like having a high school degree now, everyone has one and it's a bare requirement to achieve for almost any job that is not based on minimum wage.



Uh, no it's not. My father grew up poor in Portugal and had to drop out of school in like the 6th grade to start working and help his family survive. He and my mother now own 2 houses here in NJ and are pretty damn successful. They've worked their asses off to get where they were and it has paid off immensely. My father started off doing manual labor for a construction company and worked his way up to make a pretty good amount of money. My mother went from making cleaning houses to get by to getting a job at a hospital in the Environmental service department. I currently don't have a college degree (in this process of getting one) and I make enough money to live on my own, pay off all expenses and still have left over money for whatever.

What it comes down to is how hard you work. If you're a hard worker, you will make money with or without a degree. A degree is only going to help you get that first job quicker or help you get into that $50+ /hour job after a few years of experience. Without the degree, you'll very rarely get the $50+ /hour job, but you could definitely shoot for the $20-$30 /hour job if you work hard. This isn't just a "rare" occurrence either. I know many other people that barely have a high school education and make a comfortable living. Yes, they have to work harder than someone with a college degree, but it works for them.

To the OP. You can probably try working 40 hours per week and still go to school if you can somehow arrange student loans. It won't be easy, but if you really want to go to a University, then it is possible. If not, you can always go back to school later in life when your family situation is good.


My family also comes from Portugal and neither of them have a degree (not even high school) but coming from another country and building a life as an immigrant in the past is different from a 19 year old who is growing up here in north america today. Again, even construction workers to do more than drywalling need some level of coursework and certificate which involves college (Canadian college is 2 year degree not university degree idk what it is in US community college?) nowadays.

What my dad does now (Car Autobody) requires at least 1 year of courses and 5 years apprenticing or 2-3 years courses and 2 years apprenticing to get a certificate to do it 1) officially and 2) get paid a decent wage.
StrategyRTS forever | @ZeromuS_plays | www.twitch.tv/Zeromus_
simpy
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia29 Posts
January 05 2011 06:26 GMT
#68
On January 05 2011 15:15 Jibba wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 05 2011 15:10 Edahspmal wrote:
On January 05 2011 11:11 Sm3agol wrote:
I'm currently making about $55k a year at age 25 with no college degree, so no, it's not exactly necessary.
Edit:
On the other hand though, I would love to have a degree.....it just isn't worth it, because in the time it would take to get a degree, I could have made $210k....I would love a degree in music...but the practical side of me knows that I'll never make good money playing what I love, classical music.

Helps for math, $55k*4 = $220k

He said he'd be a music major.


Music is maths. :-D
I never have trouble spending money IRL, why do I have such trouble on SC2 -______-
AppLeCheesE
Profile Joined January 2011
33 Posts
January 05 2011 06:36 GMT
#69
On January 05 2011 15:21 ZeromuS wrote:

What my dad does now (Car Autobody) requires at least 1 year of courses and 5 years apprenticing or 2-3 years courses and 2 years apprenticing to get a certificate to do it 1) officially and 2) get paid a decent wage.


I have an Uncle who was taught through experience; his father gave him a dirt bike and told him to diagnose and fix the issue; with help of course. Through that knowledge he became a industrial refrigeration repair man, with no high school diploma, and no trade degree. He pretty much told the man that was interviewing him, that if he didn't perform to a certain standard within a one month period of time he could fire him.
Saechiis
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands4989 Posts
January 05 2011 06:44 GMT
#70
Why are you asking other people whether you need to do university in order to be succesful in life? Define for yourself when you'd consider your life a succes and pursue that as your goal. When you're asking other people you're asking for what would make you considered succesful in society, but society doesn't equal life.

In society you'd overall be considered more succesful with a degree, in life it doesn't matter since there's no good or wrong, only people judge. So, if you're asking if you need a degree to feel fulfilled or happy, definitely not. If you're asking for succes in societies' eyes, it definitely wouldn't hurt
I think esports is pretty nice.
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
January 05 2011 06:49 GMT
#71
It's definitely not necessary, but I feel that it is helpful in terms of job security. I don't want to work at a job for fifteen years and then get laid off because some kid with a degree is willing to work for less money.
Fa1nT
Profile Joined September 2010
United States3423 Posts
January 05 2011 06:55 GMT
#72
There was a pretty depressing article posted on the science reddit about this..

Having a degree is not much anymore, tons of people get out of college with a masters and can't even find a job in their field regardless.
Gingerninja
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United Kingdom1339 Posts
January 05 2011 06:56 GMT
#73
University isn't strictly necessary, but it will allow you to meet people and do things that you might not ordinarily been privy to. (and I'm not talking about being drunk all the time and acting like a cock) Life is short, do what makes you happy and can lead to happiness later. It's all about experiences.
戦いの中に答えはある
Gummy
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2180 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-05 06:57:39
January 05 2011 06:57 GMT
#74
I went into college with real, employable skills. I'm in my 3rd year and thanks to a lot of the classes I take, I have those same (albeit somewhat diminished from lack of use) skills. Now, though, I can talk with the high-brow arrogance of an ivy-educated douchebag. But deep down inside, my dreams and self-esteem have been crushed. Sometimes I secretly wish I'd just taken a few relevant courses at a community college instead of spending >200k on a brand-name school.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.
L
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada4732 Posts
January 05 2011 07:02 GMT
#75
On January 05 2011 15:55 Fa1nT wrote:
There was a pretty depressing article posted on the science reddit about this..

Having a degree is not much anymore, tons of people get out of college with a masters and can't even find a job in their field regardless.

The LostGeneration subreddit is full of stuff like this.
The number you have dialed is out of porkchops.
Mirosuu
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
England283 Posts
January 05 2011 07:04 GMT
#76
University shouldn't be a choice you make because society made you it's bitch. You should make that choice because YOU want it. Not the guy down the street, not even your parents. You and you only, should decide. Even then, It should be something you enjoy, and are happy with. Don't give a damn about these "good degrees" and "bad degrees". There only exists "degrees I would find enjoyable" in my eyes.

It just so happens my enjoyable degree was CS. It wasn't even pressured on me. I just made the decision when the time was right.

America sucks in this regard. They put way too much pressure on 15-17 year olds about college, and how they MUST GO. It's a whole different ethos here in the UK. Sure you can go to University, but guess what? If you don't wanna go, theres tons of other enjoyable things you can do in life, without having to put yourself through physical and mental trauma just because a bunch of marketers from Universities across the country said you should do so.
The more things change, the more they stay the same.
kariido
Profile Joined December 2007
Saudi Arabia179 Posts
January 05 2011 07:04 GMT
#77
Going the university/college route is much safer in this day and age, you could try to wing it and roll the dice but you'll have no one to blame but yourself later on when you're stuck at a dead-end job. Don't let anyone fool you, experience is important, no doubt, but without a certificate you will start off with a meager job and minimal pay, your chances for promotion get slashed, and the chances of you attaining any higher position, in whatever career path that you may be fortunate enough to find looking for a non-accredited, non-certified employee, are about zero. Unless you have some good connections, don't bother.
http://campaignforliberty.org/
[Agony]x90
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States853 Posts
January 05 2011 07:14 GMT
#78
Having a degree is often very helpful. However, the true reason why you should attend college or university... CSL!!!!!!! Can't be on a team if you don't go to a college!
JF dodger since 2009
stevarius
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1394 Posts
January 05 2011 07:14 GMT
#79
On January 05 2011 15:57 Gummy wrote:
I went into college with real, employable skills. I'm in my 3rd year and thanks to a lot of the classes I take, I have those same (albeit somewhat diminished from lack of use) skills. Now, though, I can talk with the high-brow arrogance of an ivy-educated douchebag. But deep down inside, my dreams and self-esteem have been crushed. Sometimes I secretly wish I'd just taken a few relevant courses at a community college instead of spending >200k on a brand-name school.

I can't imagine spending 200k on school. At MOST I will be in debt to about 35k, but that doesn't account for the Georgia HOPE I'm about to receive which will make it less than half that. Unfortunately, I went in to college unsure of what to do and that cost me some time and money, but now that I am 100% sure of what I want to do, I'm going to do it even if it takes me 5 years to complete as opposed to the 'normal' 4 years if I had known what I wanted to do. Either way, I'm learning stuff and the degree I'm choosing is directly applicable and helpful in my future career field.

-New Computer Sci Major

I look at it this way, I can either be taught and get a foundation of knowledge taught to me or I can take a gamble and try to teach it to myself when I have little to no understanding of everything involved and what I need to succeed. For me, the cost of college is nothing compared to what I'm prepared to gain.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
January 05 2011 07:14 GMT
#80
The college degree is not essential to achieving success. It is however one of the best investment you can pay for to help.

In real world, having a degree is so the Human Resource department have a reasonable degree of assurance that you have the skill required for the role.

To achieve success, you only need hard work and the fortune to know the right person at the right time.

For OP's case, if he still want to pursue the CS path then there is no reason that he can't study in his own time. CS is one of those majors where vast amount of knowledge can be obtained on line, the same can not be said for other fields.
Rillanon.au
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko287
SpeCial 77
ProTech38
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15597
firebathero 2332
Bisu 1007
Hyuk 656
Horang2 501
Larva 313
BeSt 258
Light 211
Mini 203
EffOrt 148
[ Show more ]
Soma 130
Rush 101
Leta 89
Barracks 78
ZerO 68
Mong 61
Pusan 54
Killer 49
ToSsGirL 42
Sharp 39
Shinee 36
Snow 33
Aegong 31
Mind 29
NaDa 27
Sexy 26
sorry 21
Bale 20
Hm[arnc] 19
zelot 18
Sacsri 16
Noble 15
Terrorterran 14
JulyZerg 14
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Dota 2
XaKoH 296
Fuzer 181
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss876
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1141
Khaldor1033
Other Games
gofns30388
singsing1935
olofmeister1117
B2W.Neo244
Mew2King84
Livibee65
ArmadaUGS39
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream191
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH121
• StrangeGG 27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
1h 55m
OSC
10h 55m
CranKy Ducklings
22h 55m
Online Event
23h 55m
FEL
1d 4h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 5h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 7h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 22h
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.