• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:13
CEST 20:13
KST 03:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)48Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8654 users

Buy Mac or PC laptop? - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Fefnir
Profile Joined April 2010
United States50 Posts
June 07 2010 22:21 GMT
#141
[image loading]

Just depends on how comfy you are =)

Windows>whatever POS Jobs thinks is good

"Steve Jobs owns a PC!" lawl
I'm not a robot but I've got a mechanical hand. I can steal the stars and put them a back again.
PrincessLeila
Profile Joined October 2004
France170 Posts
June 07 2010 22:39 GMT
#142
http://theappleblog.com/2009/10/07/study-finds-that-85-percent-of-mac-owners-also-have-a-pc/
zatic
Profile Blog Joined September 2007
Zurich15366 Posts
June 07 2010 22:53 GMT
#143
On June 08 2010 03:09 7mk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2010 01:00 artofmagic wrote:
On June 08 2010 00:45 7mk wrote:
On June 08 2010 00:03 zatic wrote:
After having gone through several laptops from Toshiba over IBM, 2xSamsung, Dell to Lenovo I finally got a Macbook Pro this year. It is without doubt the best laptop I ever had. All the previous ones don't come even close. Also every one of the con points you make does not apply to a 2010 MBP (well, except Expensive).

With Bootcamp out there there is really no drawback I can think of - except the price. If you are willing to pay for the best laptop out there then go for MBP.


What makes it so much better than all other laptops?

as a mobile computing device, it's superior on build quality and battery life and relatively light.

Those are really something I dont care about.. and sure as hell not something I'd be willing to pay 1000€ extra for
Plus battery life isn't even necessarily true, like I said there are notebooks with 10h+ battery life

I'd really like to hear zatic's take on what he likes so much about it, I'm curious since I've never had a macbook pro

Quality, battery, power, weight, display just don't come as good in one package anywhere else. It's not like it's the best in each category but if all those are important to you than the MBP will offer the best overall combination, if that makes any sense.

For example I was long considering getting a Samsung X460 which looks comparable to a MBP on paper, but just working on both for 5 minutes is such a difference. Build quality is just second to none with the MacBooks.

I wouldn't trade it for the touchpad alone now. I don't know why nobody else can build something seemingly so simple as a touchpad as well but when I switch to my work laptop (Lenovo) it feels like I going back to using a ball mouse.

For reference I was never a mac head and the first thing I did on the MBP was install windows, so I really don't like it for OSX but for the hardware.
ModeratorI know Teamliquid is known as a massive building
SilentCrono
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States1420 Posts
June 07 2010 23:07 GMT
#144
PC Laptop's usually have better battery life than Mac Laptops imo.
♞ Your soul will forever be lost in the void of a horse. ♞
LaustinSpayce
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom58 Posts
June 07 2010 23:22 GMT
#145
It depends if you like OS X as an OS over Windows. Besides, with a mac laptop, you can always bootcamp into Windows 7 and get a spot on Windows experience.

There are some programs that you can only run on OS X - if that's the case, then get a mac. (Logic Pro is my 'killer app' I need OS X for).Macs are generally decent with the CPU, but a bit rubbish on the GPU, they have a ton of extra stuff in there you may or may not use, like Firewire 800, Bluetooth, digital audio inputs and the like, do you want these? Do you need these? Is the extra cost justified?

I agree with Zatic that the MBP trackpad is fantastic.

It's also worth getting the matte-screen option.
Mykill
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada3402 Posts
June 07 2010 23:56 GMT
#146
thanks for all the advice guys!

I will probably be buying a Sager, Lenovo or an MSI

Getting iPhone 4G though. its too amazing to pass up
[~~The Impossible Leads To Invention~~] CJ Entusman #52 The problem with internet quotations is that they are hard to verify -Abraham Lincoln c.1863
artofmagic
Profile Blog Joined March 2005
United States1951 Posts
June 08 2010 00:07 GMT
#147
On June 08 2010 01:03 Jayme wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2010 01:00 artofmagic wrote:
On June 08 2010 00:45 7mk wrote:
On June 08 2010 00:03 zatic wrote:
After having gone through several laptops from Toshiba over IBM, 2xSamsung, Dell to Lenovo I finally got a Macbook Pro this year. It is without doubt the best laptop I ever had. All the previous ones don't come even close. Also every one of the con points you make does not apply to a 2010 MBP (well, except Expensive).

With Bootcamp out there there is really no drawback I can think of - except the price. If you are willing to pay for the best laptop out there then go for MBP.


What makes it so much better than all other laptops?


as a mobile computing device, it's superior on build quality and battery life and relatively light.


And I have to completely disagree.

I would use my IBM laptop over this stupid MPB i'm forced to use any day of the week. I did decide to try a Mac just to see how i would like it but i can honestly say it hasn't been THAT awesome.

Sure the startup is fast and OSX is obviously superior to say Vista...but Windows 7 has closed that gap greatly and for me windows allows me to do the things I want to do on it without jumping through hoops.

Also my MPB could probably boil water on it with how freaking hot it gets sometimes. And yes, this is a 2010 MPB, if you do anything more than surf the internet on it you will burn skin on your legs if you aren't paying attention.


Yes there were/are several brands that also have those features like IBM/Lenovo. I think Asus are doing quite well in that part too. But in general all macbook's line up(current) have the same unibody, battery technology, etc. Compare to HP some are just fat-ass heavy and only the hi-end models have the better build quality and features.

And yes heating problem might occur if you do intensive computing on a macbook. But as a mobile computer, intensive computing is less of a concern and less common.

Mind mentioning on task you have to jump through hoops to execute in OSX?
evolve or die
CorsairHero
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada9491 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-08 05:27:02
June 08 2010 05:26 GMT
#148
On June 08 2010 08:56 Mykill wrote:
thanks for all the advice guys!

I will probably be buying a Sager, Lenovo or an MSI

Getting iPhone 4G though. its too amazing to pass up

nice choice, all offer great value
Lenovo always has 20% off "coupon" that you can use on any of their notebooks.
© Current year.
aiyeeta
Profile Joined June 2007
United States199 Posts
June 08 2010 15:25 GMT
#149
I'm sorry for not reading everything, but I just thought I'd mention that Dell use to do a Student and Military discount on Dell and Alienware laptops. It wasn't that long ago, so the offer may still be around. I want to say it was something like 10% off.
"...And that was the first time I got crabs"
machinus
Profile Joined January 2010
United States292 Posts
June 08 2010 18:35 GMT
#150
Why would you ever waste money on apple decorations?
Mykill
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
Canada3402 Posts
June 08 2010 20:23 GMT
#151
On June 09 2010 03:35 machinus wrote:
Why would you ever waste money on apple decorations?


people like them
some people shell out lots of money for cases on the iPods etc.
[~~The Impossible Leads To Invention~~] CJ Entusman #52 The problem with internet quotations is that they are hard to verify -Abraham Lincoln c.1863
Slunk
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Germany768 Posts
June 08 2010 20:31 GMT
#152
Originally I wanted to say "buy a mac so you use your laptop fur studying and not gaming", but since we get a Mac SC2 client, this argument is gone. So, do the only reasonable thing and get a PC.
samalie
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada87 Posts
June 09 2010 18:52 GMT
#153
On June 08 2010 07:07 Jibba wrote:
If you're going to compare the big boys, you should really just use the Envy 17, MSI GX740 or Asus G73 to the 17" Macbook Pro. Between the Macbook and an Alienware, I'd take the MBP. Envy 17 is like $1600, GX740 is $1400 and the different G73 models go from $1400-1900. You can also get good Bing Cashback deals on all the PC laptops. HP sometimes does 25%.

Anyways, not sure where the OP went but he should really pose his question here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/

Most people on TL don't know what they're talking about. >.> You'll get less biased answers there, with less PC and Mac fanboys, and people are up to date. You won't get anyone recommending their 3 year old Thinkpad, or people trying to win arguments with image macros... >.>


Just priced the Envy 17, for the hell of it (again, trying to compare as directly as is possible).

I won't go as deep in the analysis as I did last time, but with a quad-core I7 instead of the dual-core in the MBP/Alien, and the ATI 5850 GFX card, adding in the photo editing & other nicities that come with the MBP (or at least a PC equivalant) came out to $2,374 USD. At today's exchange, that works out to $2,474.06 CAD. THis time, a savings of $150 over the education store at apple for a similar MBP, give or take. Yes, the Envy is a better deal...but I would argue that overall the MBP is the better notebook.

Face it, bottom line, while the MBP definetely commands a premium pricetag, once you get down and dirty the premium isn't that huge...at most 10-15%. Factor in the fact that you can easily sell a well taken care of MBP 3 years later for 25% of its original value...and the "Apple Tax" vanishes entirely.

PC's will always be cheaper up-front, but Mac's Total Cost of Ownership is way less.

Again, credentials, I'm a PC guy & database developer (Microsoft) for 15 years...I love the PC...but Mac's aren't the piles of crap they once were on a price comparative basis anymore.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
June 09 2010 19:01 GMT
#154
On June 07 2010 12:39 n.DieJokes wrote:
Do not get an HP laptop, the bloatware alone is enough for me to never use one again

Why would you ever use a prebuilt PC without first reformatting the hard drive?
Moderator
Soel
Profile Joined June 2010
90 Posts
June 09 2010 19:09 GMT
#155
i just got a 13 inch macbook pro, with iWork (similar to microsoft office)

got 100$ off as a student, and 30$ off iWork, so that only cost 40$. ( microsoft office student edition is like 180$)
Making the total be 1140$ before tax

I also got a free ipod touch which I already sold, a day later, for 175$, and I got a free printer worth 150$ which I would have bought anyways.

So i figure this beautiful laptop cost me only about 815$

Anyone trying to say thats not a good deal is crazy
AlliNPreFlop
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
59 Posts
June 09 2010 19:19 GMT
#156
Desktop PC, nuff said.
Neo7
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States922 Posts
June 09 2010 19:19 GMT
#157
Get an ASUS UL. Pretty solid line of laptops, but make sure to get one that has an nVidia chip (all of them have integrated graphics, but some have an extra nVidia dedicated card so you can switch to that to sacrifice battery power for awesome graphics).
It takes an idiot to do cool things.
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
June 09 2010 21:27 GMT
#158
On June 10 2010 03:52 samalie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 08 2010 07:07 Jibba wrote:
If you're going to compare the big boys, you should really just use the Envy 17, MSI GX740 or Asus G73 to the 17" Macbook Pro. Between the Macbook and an Alienware, I'd take the MBP. Envy 17 is like $1600, GX740 is $1400 and the different G73 models go from $1400-1900. You can also get good Bing Cashback deals on all the PC laptops. HP sometimes does 25%.

Anyways, not sure where the OP went but he should really pose his question here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/what-notebook-should-i-buy/

Most people on TL don't know what they're talking about. >.> You'll get less biased answers there, with less PC and Mac fanboys, and people are up to date. You won't get anyone recommending their 3 year old Thinkpad, or people trying to win arguments with image macros... >.>


Just priced the Envy 17, for the hell of it (again, trying to compare as directly as is possible).

I won't go as deep in the analysis as I did last time, but with a quad-core I7 instead of the dual-core in the MBP/Alien, and the ATI 5850 GFX card, adding in the photo editing & other nicities that come with the MBP (or at least a PC equivalant) came out to $2,374 USD. At today's exchange, that works out to $2,474.06 CAD. THis time, a savings of $150 over the education store at apple for a similar MBP, give or take. Yes, the Envy is a better deal...but I would argue that overall the MBP is the better notebook.

Face it, bottom line, while the MBP definetely commands a premium pricetag, once you get down and dirty the premium isn't that huge...at most 10-15%. Factor in the fact that you can easily sell a well taken care of MBP 3 years later for 25% of its original value...and the "Apple Tax" vanishes entirely.

PC's will always be cheaper up-front, but Mac's Total Cost of Ownership is way less.

Again, credentials, I'm a PC guy & database developer (Microsoft) for 15 years...I love the PC...but Mac's aren't the piles of crap they once were on a price comparative basis anymore.

You're doing it wrong.

Envy 17 from Amazon
Processor: i7 720QM
RAM: 8GB DDR3 @ 1333
HDD: 640 GB (2x320 7200rpm)
Display: 17.3" 1920x1080 FHD
Video card: ATI Radeon 5850 mobile
Other 'extra' features: USB 3.0, Intel 6200 wireless card, Beats audio speakers (actually 2.0 speaker quality laptop speakers), 1x eSATA, 1x HDMI, 1x Mini Display port, 1x VGA
$1649.99

Default 17" MBP (upgrading ram and harddrive is a ripoff through both HP and Apple, I see no reason to do it to either)
Processor: i5 540
RAM: 4GB DDR3 @ 1066
HDD: 500GB (5400rpm)
Display: 17" 1920x1080 FHD
Video card: Nvidia GT 330M
Extras: MagSafe power port, Firewire, 1x Mini Display port, best battery life of any 17" laptop
$2299

They both have backlit keyboards, multitouch trackpads, metal case, etc. Apple has much better support and reliability, but again, in specs, the machine that's $600 cheaper crushes it in performance. Not just beats, but crushes it.

And if you're going to use the 10% Apple student discount (fyi, my school had Dell and CDW discounts as well), you should probably also consider the 25% Bing Cashback that goes on twice a month (until 7/30 )

If you configured a near equivalent notebook through HP (i5 540, 4gigs 1066 ram, 500gb 7200 rpm hdd, same everything else) and factor in Bing, you're looking at $1236.75. If you do the really smart thing and go with an i5 430, its $1124. That's a big difference.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Ursad0n
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States523 Posts
June 09 2010 21:37 GMT
#159
As a MAC owner, don't get one. If your fucking mobo breaks they will try to charge u 750 USD to fix it, or if you want the "CHEAP" option, best buy did mine for 370 USD because apple charges some absurd amount of money for a new one. If i could go back a few years i'd get a PC for the same price (like 1200 USD) because this thing is a PoS, seriously the parts aren't good at all, and for like 800 u could get the same shitty laptop WITH OS X.

Morale of the story, don't get a Mac
You make it sound like there's a correlation between what should happen and what actually happens. I mean, life is chaotic and it's often unfair. I know it is for me.
SkyTheUnknown
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany2065 Posts
June 09 2010 21:47 GMT
#160
On June 08 2010 04:25 haruharu wrote:
I don't think any macbook pro's other than the 13 inch are worth it. The 13 inch provides a great a combination of quality, weight, power, and battery life that other laptops in this category don't have for me. However, the 15 inch and the 17 inch are extremely pricey and there exists many pc alternatives that are more powerful and cheaper


Most honst and true advice here.
The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown - H.P. Lovecraft
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 897
ComeBackTV 860
SteadfastSC560
TaKeTV 482
LamboSC2355
IndyStarCraft 209
Rex111
EnkiAlexander 69
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 560
LamboSC2 355
mouzHeroMarine 327
IndyStarCraft 209
ProTech134
Rex 111
UpATreeSC 108
JuggernautJason1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 23086
firebathero 206
Rush 128
Sexy 27
Trap 21
Shine 16
Bale 15
Djem5 7
yabsab 5
Dota 2
Gorgc7404
qojqva1571
420jenkins138
monkeys_forever29
Counter-Strike
fl0m1620
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1894
crisheroes1174
Liquid`Hasu574
XaKoH 164
MindelVK16
Other Games
Grubby2337
FrodaN810
ceh9784
Beastyqt613
ArmadaUGS191
KnowMe152
Hui .150
C9.Mang0126
QueenE114
Trikslyr74
Mew2King62
Dewaltoss60
byalli43
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream71
Other Games
BasetradeTV7
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Reevou 8
• Adnapsc2 5
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix13
• 80smullet 6
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• Nemesis2305
League of Legends
• TFBlade1121
Other Games
• imaqtpie809
• Shiphtur257
• WagamamaTV257
Upcoming Events
OSC
5h 47m
Stellar Fest
18h 47m
OSC
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 15h
Online Event
1d 16h
FEL
1d 21h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 22h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.