• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:28
CEST 02:28
KST 09:28
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)53Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8693 users

Buy Mac or PC laptop? - Page 10

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 14 Next All
Karliath
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2214 Posts
June 11 2010 06:28 GMT
#181
PLEASE take a look at the ASUS UL series, as well as some variant models.

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-UL30Vt-A1-Core-SU7300/dp/B0032FOKXS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1276237663&sr=8-1
-Simplicity-
Profile Joined May 2010
United States83 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 06:30:05
June 11 2010 06:28 GMT
#182
Mac OS X is so incredibly superior to Windows that I couldn't even image the possibility that I would ever buy a PC again.

If you know stuff about computers then build a Hackintosh (putting Mac OS X on non apple hardware). I have never done it personally but I know people that have and they love it.

Edit: There is a thread on TL about building a Hackintosh: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=95364
LegendaryZ
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1583 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 06:37:25
June 11 2010 06:36 GMT
#183
On June 11 2010 15:28 -SaRiS- wrote:
Mac OS X is so incredibly superior to Windows that I couldn't even image the possibility that I would ever buy a PC again.

Care to explain what makes OSX "so incredibly superior" to Windows 7? Seems to me they're pretty comparable.
never_Nal
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Costa Rica676 Posts
June 11 2010 06:40 GMT
#184
OK, the thing here is, what will you use it for?, if you are planing on "serious gaming" go for the pc 100%, if you plan on just playing SCBW or SC2 and using the computer for work and studies I would definitely go for the Mac.
I own a mac, and I can tell you its super reliable and great for working and studying( I study 3d animation), its super fast and the "problems" are really easy to solve, on the other hand its there isn't such a variety of software you can get your hands on, but the software its good, I can guarantee that Mac Software is pretty good, unless is some kind of Windows to mac adaption .
You should also keep in mind Mac can run windows too now
Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
triangle
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States3803 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 06:46:23
June 11 2010 06:41 GMT
#185
You mentioned you were considering a lenovo, and I have one, so I'll add my 2 cents:

Good stuff:
1. The thumbpad is AWESOME. At first you wonder why the hell there's this random red dot in the middle of your keyboard, and after a month or two you can't live without it.
2. The keyboard is excellent.
3. The computer is super durable... I've dropped it off my desk, banged it into walls, etc, and it barely has a scratch. The all-aluminum macbooks look durable, but a lot of my friends have them and have dented them. This sucker is actually durable.
4. Non-glossy screen is nice.

Bad stuff:
1. The screen really is not meant for movie/TV watching. Colors are kinda washed out compared to other screens.
2. Lenovo has a lot of kinda weird compatibility issues. For example, sometimes video card drivers won't work because they require a lenovo -only version. Lenovo also insists on putting a bunch of software on the comp that, while actually pretty useful, interferes with some windows software. For example, windows system restore doesn't work, but the special lenovo system restore does. It's just a little annoying when trying to do certain things.

Edit -- this only applies to thinkpads, not any other lenovo laptops, but honestly you should be getting a thinkpad if you're getting anything from lenovo anyway :p
Also known as waterfall / w4terfall
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 07:58:18
June 11 2010 07:57 GMT
#186
FWIW, I just got my Ideapad Y460 earlier today. It's got some heat issues when the 5650 is on (has switchable) but the build is completely solid, moreso than the Envy I tried out, and the keyboard/touch pad are fantastic.

As far as the screen goes, I've been really impressed with it. I know the Y560 has screen issues and I've heard Thinkpads have pretty crappy screens, but this looks really, really good. The low resolution helps, but it's pretty bright.

^Yeah, I'm about to do a clean install of Win7. There's way too much pre-installed crap here.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
-Simplicity-
Profile Joined May 2010
United States83 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 07:59:06
June 11 2010 07:58 GMT
#187

Care to explain what makes OSX "so incredibly superior" to Windows 7? Seems to me they're pretty comparable.


Words don't seem to work. Just try it.
Sabu113
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States11109 Posts
June 11 2010 08:29 GMT
#188
Wait. Does mathematic run on macs? I thought it didn't?
Biomine is a drunken chick who is on industrial strength amphetamines and would just grab your dick and jerk it as hard and violently as she could while screaming 'OMG FUCK ME', because she saw it in a Sasha Grey video ...-Wombat_Ni
LetMeShine
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
979 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 10:10:48
June 11 2010 09:44 GMT
#189
On June 11 2010 16:58 -SaRiS- wrote:
Show nested quote +

Care to explain what makes OSX "so incredibly superior" to Windows 7? Seems to me they're pretty comparable.


Words don't seem to work. Just try it.


I have a Macbook Pro. Microsoft has actually done a fantastic job with Windows 7 and OSX isn't really better than it in terms of basic usability. Steve Ballmer just sucks balls at everything and the marketing team at Microsoft is just plain bad so everyone is still in the "VISTA SUX BALLS" phase.

The applications OSX comes with are fantastic but that's a completely different ball park.

On June 11 2010 16:57 Jibba wrote:
FWIW, I just got my Ideapad Y460 earlier today. It's got some heat issues when the 5650 is on (has switchable) but the build is completely solid, moreso than the Envy I tried out, and the keyboard/touch pad are fantastic.

As far as the screen goes, I've been really impressed with it. I know the Y560 has screen issues and I've heard Thinkpads have pretty crappy screens, but this looks really, really good. The low resolution helps, but it's pretty bright.

^Yeah, I'm about to do a clean install of Win7. There's way too much pre-installed crap here.


Lenovo laptops are great because they have rock solid build quality and their keyboards are simply divine to use. Yeah its a real shame that the Thinkpads have really awful screens (crap resolution and colour) but the Ideapads are a lot better in that department as you found out.
space_yes
Profile Joined April 2010
United States548 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 10:33:37
June 11 2010 10:32 GMT
#190
On June 11 2010 15:28 -SaRiS- wrote:
Mac OS X is so incredibly superior to Windows that I couldn't even image the possibility that I would ever buy a PC again.



Feel free to support your argument I'll throw out there that Mac OS X has the worst mouse acceleration curve among any operating system. Any comparison also depends on what version of windows you're talking about..
Bockit
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sydney2287 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-11 11:11:20
June 11 2010 11:10 GMT
#191
On June 11 2010 19:32 space_yes wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2010 15:28 -SaRiS- wrote:
Mac OS X is so incredibly superior to Windows that I couldn't even image the possibility that I would ever buy a PC again.



Feel free to support your argument I'll throw out there that Mac OS X has the worst mouse acceleration curve among any operating system. Any comparison also depends on what version of windows you're talking about..


Did it for him.
Their are four errors in this sentance.
Wfat
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
Australia108 Posts
June 11 2010 11:20 GMT
#192
I currently own a mac that I bought in the same position that you are in now, approximately 5 years ago (iBook G4 12"). You have noted the main issues that I have with my computer (apart from the inability to play BW on iccup and various other games that I would like to):

On June 07 2010 12:04 Mykill wrote:
...
This is what i came up with for Macs
...
Cons:
Awful heating problems because its all one big case
Crazy fan (if i run a flash game the mac sounds like its taking off a runway)
Awful compatibility
...


From my experience, when you are starting your degree you have no idea what software you would like to/are required to use in a few years time, for games or for degree related software. I do engineering and this is a major annoyance with my mac. As you're doing maths you might need to use mathematica/matlab so you may want to check their compatibility on a mac.

Regarding heating/fan issues: I would get a PC just to get rid of the lawnmower noise my mac makes when it heats up. It is terrible. My mac's fan starts to go insane when I do anything more intensive than reading, typing and listening to music (all at the same time though). For example if I was to go watch a few games of starcraft on youtube I would not only be able to not watch the games in HD (because my video card is shit), but would most likely get my fan going mental after a few games.

Get a PC or buy one of those fans that you can sit on your table and put your mac on. Windows is really pretty good. I would 100% buy some legit antivirus software as well.
space_yes
Profile Joined April 2010
United States548 Posts
June 11 2010 11:56 GMT
#193
On June 11 2010 20:10 Bockit wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2010 19:32 space_yes wrote:
On June 11 2010 15:28 -SaRiS- wrote:
Mac OS X is so incredibly superior to Windows that I couldn't even image the possibility that I would ever buy a PC again.



Feel free to support your argument I'll throw out there that Mac OS X has the worst mouse acceleration curve among any operating system. Any comparison also depends on what version of windows you're talking about..


Did it for him.


I posted a response. Thanks for off-linking this instead of derailing the thread.
JWD
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States12607 Posts
June 11 2010 12:03 GMT
#194
Mac, if only for the build quality.
✌
RoosterSamurai
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Japan2108 Posts
June 11 2010 12:08 GMT
#195
On June 11 2010 15:36 JinMaikeul wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 11 2010 15:28 -SaRiS- wrote:
Mac OS X is so incredibly superior to Windows that I couldn't even image the possibility that I would ever buy a PC again.

Care to explain what makes OSX "so incredibly superior" to Windows 7? Seems to me they're pretty comparable.

It's innovative, and it's mac. Now stop asking questions.


=P
w1pe0ut
Profile Joined December 2007
Canada35 Posts
June 11 2010 17:40 GMT
#196
i have a Toshiba A500 laptop and its just been amazing, can run SCII just fine on Medium, i can also run games like fallout 3, cod:mw2 on high and i got it for 800 with taxes
nateZinger
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1 Post
June 11 2010 18:13 GMT
#197
slickdeals.net < camp here for a week or so until you find an i5 for under $600 (or, if you must, an i7 for under $700). It will be a PC and you'll literally pay 1/3 of the price of a comparably spec'd Mac.

I promise OSX isn't 3x better than windows 7.
Cloud
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Sexico5880 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-06-12 01:00:15
June 12 2010 00:59 GMT
#198
I will have used OSX for half a year soon. The only two programs that have crashed on me have been Itunes (problem with playing a cd) and openoffice (which is a bad program for mac, and crashes every-time I try to open a word document), but I've gotten the iWork suite and I'm glad I did; the incredible amount of templates was the sell point for me.

Now, I still have to work on a Windows, both XP and 7, a lot of programs crash often or take ages to load (outlook takes almost a minute and works like a piece of dung, and open source programs take even longer), my Gateway laptop literally takes hours to shut itself down on way too many occasions ("10 programs still have to be closed") and only a practically empty XP machine can compare with the boot time of my mac.

I'm also perfectly content with being a console gamer so Windows doesn't have anything at all that I would want.
BlueLaguna on West, msg for game.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
June 12 2010 01:02 GMT
#199
never buy mac anything (unless its the only option).
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
June 12 2010 01:07 GMT
#200
Desktop plus netbook imo. You don't need to play games on a portable computer unless you spend a lot of time at stuff like LANs; for doing work a netbook works fine. I get 6 hours of battery life on mine (some Dell Inspiron model; you can likely do better than that for price though).

Getting a laptop that's comparable to my desktop would probably have cost me about as much as my desktop + peripherals + netbook together, so yeah....
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Prev 1 8 9 10 11 12 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings45
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 143
NeuroSwarm 68
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 11602
Rain 2006
Artosis 579
Bale 15
League of Legends
Doublelift4044
Counter-Strike
taco 0
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox613
Mew2King221
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1062
Other Games
summit1g9768
shahzam704
Day[9].tv655
JimRising 502
PiGStarcraft269
C9.Mang0232
ArmadaUGS82
ViBE63
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV199
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream97
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 107
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP24
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv655
• Scarra557
• Shiphtur192
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
12h 32m
OSC
21h 32m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 9h
Online Event
1d 10h
FEL
1d 15h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 16h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 18h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.